IMDb > "Some of My Best Friends" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Some of My Best Friends"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Some of My Best Friends" More at IMDbPro »

A gay/straight show that makes me laugh out loud.

Author: gwenbaggins (gwenbaggins@hotmail.com) from Johannesburg, South Africa
14 July 2001

I've been watching this show since the day it began. I LOVE watching Bateman and Nucci together - their chemistry is amazing. Whoever writes for this show (I keep telling myself to see who the writers are so I can remember but I keep forgetting) are superb! I also have to rave about Mapa and DeLuise who star as the extreme versions of a gay and straight man respectively - I literally role around on the floor when they do their stuff. It's also nice for a change that the shows chuckles don't only come from the supporting cast (as is the case with 'Will & Grace'). Please let them keep this show - it's one of my favourite.

Thoroughly entertaining!

Author: Itsmyknees from West Coast
13 June 2001

I was lucky enough to catch this on it's debut considering this didn't last long on CBS, as it appears to have been dropped or cancelled.

I originally saw the movie this is based on and didn't care for it. The TV series is far more better thanks to Jason Bateman and the actor who plays the next door neighbor (Earl?). I really had some good chuckles and it was the first time in a long time that I made the effort to catch a new episode the following week.

I hope that either CBS will continue to air it or maybe another network will pick it up.

I still remember this...

Author: preppy-3 from United States
30 May 2002

It had an undeserved short run back in 2001. The big problem was the network kept changing the nights and times for it. After episode 2 I couldn't find it!

Anyways, it was good (especially the premiere) and Bateman and Nucci really worked well together. Also, they didn't shy away from showing off Nucci's great body--he's in a towel halfway through the first episode.

So, it was a good little series--too bad it wasn't given a chance.

It deserved a chance to grow

Author: free2emailus from A Mountain View
19 June 2006

I've seen seven of eight of the filmed episodes and found that I wasn't laughing as much as I did with the Pilot. I think I found it a bit offensive to stereotype when it first came out but now that Bateman, Mapa and Nucci are all in other things, it's fascinating to watch them hone their skills. Bateman does his self-discovery/I thought I was smarter than this thing which is present in almost every episode of ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT(and I think he's much cuter as he gets older); Alex Mapa is working hard at one liners but is funnier in his moments in character, looking at Frankie for the first time or climbing in the window with a smile and a quip; Danny Nucci is about to be big in the WORLD TRADE CENTER movie but here, he's a Guido - a good looking Italian young man, still a little too green around the ears for his own good but likable (and he plays well off of Bateman). The situations were more than a bit sitcom, but the surrounding cast were just starting to be interesting when it ended. There's not a lot you can do in 22 minutes but they managed quite a bit. If it comes out on DVD, rent it, or see it on LOGO.

Amusing variation

Author: Matthew Ignoffo (mermatt@webtv.net) from Eatontown, NJ, USA
8 March 2001

Based on the film KISS ME, GUIDO, this tv series is amusing and shows signs of being clever -- if CBS will give it a chance and not yank it because of a slow start.

People have been negatively comparing this show to WILL & GRACE on NBC, but I think this is a better and more comical show. Why? Because the two main characters in SOME OF MY BEST FRIENDS are amusing in their own way, and the supporting characters are also amusing. In the other show, the two main characters are so bland that I think the audience enthusiastic guffaws are either from alcohol or canned laugh tracks. The only real humor comes from stereotyping of the two supporting characters.

In any event, I give SOME OF MY BEST FRIENDS a thumbs up and hope to see it have a good run.

It is one of the best shows I have seen

Author: elyazevedo from United States
5 January 2007

Some of my best friends is very entertaining and funny. Intelligent script, it makes sense. The humor is light with an emphasis in real life situations. The characters are pretty close to what I have seen in real life. I feel that we need more programs like this one full of light funny humor that anyone can watch and not be offended. It is my observation that now days most people are exposed in their daily lives to similar situations so the writer is not so far off when exposing certain issues such as the ones I've watched. I really think they did a great job. I would like to see more of it and have told all my friends about it.

Good Television !!!

Author: zyxwvu01 from USA
18 August 2001

Only saw two episodes of this show. Tried to tape a third episode, but ended up with some other CBS show instead (one of those last minute changes in schedule). From what I saw this series has (had ???) great promise. Justin Bateman was terrific. Just the right blend of regular guy/this is who I am bravado. Wish I could see more !!!

Love It!

Author: (barbarellasjsu@aol.com) from California USA
15 March 2001

What can I say I've been a Jason Bateman fan since I first saw him on Silver Spoons!! He's a great actor and I love his character of Warren. I saw the first episode and just loved it! This series has the potential to make it! Good job to all the actors!!!!!

Funny at times..

Author: Lindsay (disco_girl75@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
17 April 2001

I think this show has some pretty good moments, and some boring. Warren and Frankie make a great "couple", and I think Vern(Alec Mapa) is hilarious in this show! Especially when Frankie and Warren's dog bites Vern's jacket. As a fan of Jason Bateman, I particularly enjoyed it.

Not Bad, Not Great

Author: baker-9 from United States
3 April 2001

"Some of My Best Friends" does follow the "Will & Grace" mold, with Warren, a regular-guy brand of gay man and Vern, a queeny sidekick. This time we have an odd-couple relationship between Warren and his new roommate, Frankie, a straight guy from a working class Italian Bronx background.

This show thrives on broad stereotypes of all kinds; sometimes it's funny and sometimes it's just tired. But the relationship between straight and gay men is ripe material for comedy. One hopes this show will grow a bit and mine that. Certainly it got off to a start with a few of the episodes, particularly the one from last week (3/28/01). The writing will have to improve though.