IMDb > "My Family" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"My Family"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"My Family" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Great comedy!

Author: Thomas Jolliffe (supertom-3) from Marlow, England
20 July 2004

My Family is a great comedy. It's rare these days that a sitcom can stand the test of time but this has lasted 4 years all ready ad is still as funny as it was to start with, and it was funny to start with which is also important. It's very exaggerated but very much based in real life and everyone can see trademarks of their own families in the Harpers.

The characters are excellent and well portrayed. Firstly there's the mother played by Zoe Wannamaker, who as Jonathan Ross once said, has a strange kind of sexiness. She's the woman with the mad hair and a kind of Witch like, everything in the pot, attitude to cooking, with each episode having her come up with new disgusting recipes like Roast Chicken with chocolate topping. Then there's Ben Harper the father but not head of the household it must be said. Played superbly by another comedic veteran, Robert Lindsey. His sarcastic and biting delivery to everything is hilarious and the banter between him and Wannamaker is the centre piece of the show. Also superb is Kris Marshall as the eldest son Nick, the gormless, unemployable idiot who is the bane of his father's existence. Marshall plays him superbly and generally Nick has had some of the best scenes in the whole of the run. The most recent series was unfortunate as Marshall has reduced his role to an occasional cameo because essentially he is becoming too old to play the part. Marshall is 31 and Nick is only in his early 20's. Marshall can pass for that because I thought he was Nick's age but also at some point it is inevitable someone aspiring to be a respected actor would not want to become to related to a certain part and become typecast. Gabriel Thompson is also very good as the youngest Harper, the geeky Michael who throughout the series has grown into a sort of amoral shady businessmen, taking friends and family for mugs and making money off them. Daniella Denby Ashe plays the daughter and like Marshall is now an extended cameo. She's the bitchy, spoilt little IT girl who wants things for nothing and is now a mother herself. The newest family member is Abby played excellently by Siobhan Hayes who is another gormless idiot.

This is one of the finest examples of recent British sitcom and certainly relatable worldwide. Excellent stuff!

My Family, great slapstick humor.

Author: paul_bedward from Australia
24 October 2012

A great British sit com series that has evolved with the aging of its stars. The series is based on traditional British slapstick humor revolving around the relationship of family members and their close friends and work colleague's. Basically great humor that can be watched as repeats and still enjoyed by the wider family group. One thing to note is how some of the cast members, including family members just suddenly disappear. Nick the eldest son is one of the key characters in the early episodes and plays a brilliant character who drives his father Ben quite insane with his poorly thought out schemes. Nick suddenly disappears as the series progress and unfortunately it is a loss that affects the program as a whole.

Brilliant!

Author: Julia from England
1 October 2001

Not an original summary really sums up how I feel about this great comedy. Robert Lindsay is hilarious (and strangely attractive) as the incredibly cynical Ben and Kris Marshall just as funny as Nick. However, in my opinion the star turn is Zoe Wanamaker ( v. sexy) and words dont do her justice. Watch out for the funeral scene in the new series where she is taking 'unprescribed' flu medication and is to put it bluntly, stoned. Her performance here is understated and fabulous, not staggering around, just glassy eyed wierdness. Please watch this (and the repeats on UK Gold) It wont tax your brain and we all need a good laugh sometimes :-) The scary part? I see some of my family in them!

Sharp British Comedy

Author: tim1701 from Widnes, England
24 September 2003

It's not often we brits make a comedy that can travel well, but the universal truths within my family make it travel and will make it timeless to boot, Robert Lyndsy is amazingly dry, and Zoe Wannamaker shines in every episode, the long suffering family head makes us all smile by recognising our everyday problems and life obsticles with great punch and hillarity, US viewers may think this is a flop due to how many episodes there are, but it is far from a flop, UK seasons usually only last 6 episodes, My family is now in its third season with a fourth in production, Not to be missed, i am eagily awaiting the bbc to release this on dvd! well done auntie beeb, more comedys like this please!

a wild and crazy family

Author: blanche-2 from United States
23 August 2013

Robert Lindsay and Zoe Wanamaker star as the parents of Kris Marshall, Daniela Denby-Ashe, and Gabriel Thomson in "My Family," a very successful British television series that lasted 11 years.

Unfortunately only the first few seasons are available on disk thus far, but it is a very funny and lively series. Lindsay and Wanamaker are terrific pros as the head of the Harper household. The beleaguered Ben Harper is a dentist and iffy housewife Susan, who definitely can't cook, is a tour guide. Nick (Marshall) has a new job every episode. I think the funniest episode was when Susan's boss stayed overnight and the next morning, Nick tried to take some bacon and Susan told him it was for their house guest. Then Ben finds Susan's boss dead. When he announces it, Nick asks, "Can I have his bacon?" Michael (Thomson) grows up on the show, and when the disks stop, he is developing an interesting life as a chick magnet and a wheeler dealer. Janey is in college, and the situation is not without problems.

Kris Marshall is still in the show when the disks leave off, but I can imagine it was rough going without him. He added so much humor to the show. The writers must have had a blast with that outrageous character.

Highly recommended. Not every episode is spectacular, but it's still a wonderful and well-acted series.

special flavor

Author: Armand from Romania
4 April 2013

a BBC product. so, spiced humor, precise frame for ordinaries problems, good actors and special situations. result - an adorable series. but this is only a sketch of My family. its charm is result of great attention to details. the humor is like a mirror for each viewer. and Zoe Wanamaker is amazing as wife and mother who build measure in her family. like the performance of Robert Lindsay as head of a strange group who becomes, only accidentally, a real family.it is not an exception - many films presents situations about slices of ordinary society but, in this case, something is different. its flavor who discovers, like old Commedia dell''arte, the errors and conflicts, crisis and solutions of each day in warm light.

Britains favourite family

Author: studioAT from United Kingdom
15 January 2011

My Family is the most popular British sitcom of the last decade with millions ignoring the snide remarks and put downs from critics and enjoying the misadventures of the Harper Family.

Robert Lindsay and Zoe Wannamaker carry the show with ease and are supported by and large with great writing. Daniella Denby Ashe and Gabriel Thomson also deserve credit having been a part of the show since it began.

Not every episode is a classic and some of the newer characters brought in like Roger and Alfie have had limited success.

The show although still has its moments but has never really recovered from the departure of Kris Marshall as Nick. The idiot son stole the show in the first few years and I think if fans of the show had a wish it would be for him to return to the family nest.

Funny Enough

Author: Razo Imprie from ]
6 January 2011

I have been watching this since I was 5 and it first came on. I grew up with it and it is part of my life. I have all but 1 seasons and though it was good to begin with by season 4 my father looked ready to kill, him not being a fan of programs that are darn predictable.

By the fifth series the originality is wearing off and the episode conclusions are easy to predict. The plots are corny and only a few make you laugh out loud. That said, it is still something that is undemanding and easy to watch, something to watch when you are sick and have hours of lying on the couch to get over with.

Watch it if your bored or want something to drone in the background while you are doing something else. Otherwise, stay clear of this comedy monstrosity.

Yes. it is surprising!

Author: MEG-40 from Darlington Western Australia
30 June 2001

Robert Lindsay on our TV screens at present in two roles so vastly different from each other- Captain Pellew of Hornblower fame and as the "insane" dentist - father - family man of My Family! I am a great fan of RL ever since first seeing him in Nightingales, another quite insane comedy of quite a different calibre.

After last seeing Zoe Wannamaker as the love of Adam Faith it makes a change to see her as less 'Ms' Prim and Proper and more as 'Mrs' Avant Gard Dentist's wife. She does both so well in my opinion.

Anyway, I love My Family, it will appeal to an audience who likes the humour of Seinfeld mixed with the madness of someone of the ilk of Lenny Henry and it does really work. The wit is very clever, very in your face and not as subtle as english humour can be at times but nevertheless it is great fun.

Very good, very laughter-provoking series

Author: Simão Guedes
10 October 2015

This is one of the best TV series I have ever watched. Seeing it was so funny, I have bought the DVD box and am practically done watching through all the episodes.

The humour in the series is overwhelmingly abundant in many ways. You cannot help but laugh.

Ben, the father of this family, is the funniest guy. His seriousness, his unwillingness to give up, his constant state of annoyance and anger, his manifested selfishness, his lack of concern for what happens round him and all of his other characteristics combine beautifully to create one of the most humorous characters you will ever find. Of course, many of these characteristics are bad ones, but still funny (that's the point). Robert Lindsay, who plays Ben, does an excellent job.

Susan is a nice mother, but also rather selfish and a control-freak. The way she controls and manipulates her husband is often lamentable, in my opinion, but funny and laughter-provoking.

The children have a natural reaction to the fact that their parents are the way they are: they do not really like to be with them. This is very interesting and funny as well. Each of the children makes the show funny in a different way.

With so many different characters, it is likely that you will identify, in a number of aspects, with at least one of them. For example, I identify, to a significant extent, with Michael (in that he is an intelligent guy, that he likes to use his laptop, that he finds himself in the midst of his family of 'idiots', and that he is about my current age around the fourth series) and also, to a lesser extent, with Ben (in that he has a certain spirit of individuality, enjoying being alone with no-one to disturb him).

I suggest that you do not show this series to children. It was rated '12' in the UK, and rightly so. It contains some moderate language (no swear words, but a few insults), some degree of sexual seduction, implied nudity and many sexual references.

All in all, it is a very good series, likely to make you laugh a lot with every single episode, and suitable for pre-teens, teens and adults alike.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]