IMDb > Sweet Potato Ride (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Sweet Potato Ride More at IMDbPro »

Entertaining, Engaging and Enlightening. It's all there.

Author: Leslieanna from California, USA.
2 December 2001

A very endearing short, this film captures the sometimes harsh realities of inner city living as a young-- and darling-- little boy learns a great many lessons within the course of one day. And-- seemingly-- far away from the safe confines of his home and family; yet at the same time, never far away at all.

Had me deep in thought one minute, smiling the next and finally near tears at its conclusion, "Sweet Potato Ride" not only seeks to engage and entertain you--which it accomplishes with great ease--but subtlety encourages you to walk away with a deeper sense and understanding of what this extremely fragile thing we call "life" is really all about.

A very well written and skillfully executed short film all the way around!

excellent family Drama

Author: IreneECrawford from United States
5 May 2006

Proof that we do not need profanity and violence to be thoroughly entertained! Superb acting, especially by DeJuan Guy & Brian Mimms. For a short film, I thought the story line as well as the characters were well developed. That the writer dared to touch on issues such as the riot, gang violence & the homeless is certainly commendable. Equally notable is the character of "Butter" who I think was a composite of artists who sacrifice family for their dream, but are somehow unable to persist in the endeavor realizing (as Billie Dee stated in 'mahogany') that success is nothing without someone with whom to share it. A big thank you to Bill Duke and company!