IMDb > Scary Movie 2 (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Scary Movie 2

Scary Movie 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 55:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Oh, come on! Let go! Trust me, it's not that bad!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
5 August 2001

OK, not Oscar material and this was pretty badly made. But again like most brainless comedies, I walked in the theater with a good mood and expecting a laugh and I got that with "Scary Movie 2". I mean people are being so harsh on this film, I understand, I know this isn't the greatest movie or comedy. But if you aren't expecting fun and laughter, I think normally you just feel like bashing the movie then.

We have some of the old cast members from the original Scary Movie: Anna Farris, a surprising return of Regina Hall, and Marlon and Shawn Wayne. This Scary Movie took on the films like The Exorcist(hilarious scene by the way), Poltergeist, The Haunting, Mission Impossible, Charlie's Angels, and What lies beneath. With some great add ons like Tim Curry, I just had a great time. Tori Spelling, yeah, she's a bit scary, but for some reason she still gets her equal share of laughs.

The Butler just killed me with the hand. Yes, it was gross, but I think you just have to let go and just go with the joke. Scary Movie 2 isn't the best comedy ever, but it's a decent one with your brain turned off. Sick jokes, yes, and very crude one's, this movie isn't for everyone. But I think if you enjoyed the first Scary Movie, you'll enjoy this one too!

I thought it was a great sequel that lived up to the first quite well

Author: Dragoneyed363 from United States
6 June 2008

Why do a lot of people who really enjoyed the first movie hate this installment? I can understand why some critics would, or people that just thought the first was okay, however, I enjoyed both the previous film before this and this film itself, thinking this film is really funny and enjoyable. It was great fun and total entertainment to watch, and I have watched it quite a few times.

The comedy might have been a little too over-the-top and repitive at times, as it seemed like this one tried really hard to please the audience when the first one just went with the flow, but that is really how a lot of comedies are like, even more so now than then, so I do not see how this one is any different. Anna Faris pulls off Cindy Campbell's character wonderfully, again, and nobody could have done it better than her. All the other familiar characters, as well as the new ones, are excellently portrayed and likable, in a sense, and the movie has a high replay value, for me at least. This movie was not a disappoint to me either, because I thought it lived up to Scary Movie perfectly.

There were a lot of funny parts in this film, such as the opening song, the Charlie's Angels spoof scene, the scene were buddy gives back Cindy's book, and the Cindy singing in the car scene. If you have seen the film, you know what I am talking about and hopefully enjoyed those scenes as well. If you hated this film, please try to watch it again, and you'll see just how good it really was, hopefully.

Entertaining

Author: Phoenix-107
20 July 2001

Although not quite as funny as the original, I still enjoyed Scary Movie 2 very much. While some bits are downright idiotic, some are genuinely hilarious, and will have you rolling in the aisles. If you're not a fan of Scary Movie, you won't like this one either, however. But, if you enjoyed the first, come back to see this one too.

Hilarious! very crude and edgy.

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
18 January 2007

This is the raunchiest of the Scary Movies. If you thought the original was "too much", well, this one will truly give you more reasons to avoid it for it's vulgar content and crude sex jokes. That's for you, easily offended people.

I had a great time with it when it first came out in theaters. I really liked the crude sex humor and vulgar spoofs. So for those who are into sex jokes and scatological humor, you will be amused.

The opening sequence is truly hilarious and in my opinion, the best part of the movie. It was about time that the "Scary Movie" franchise had an Exorcist spoof! It was great. James Woods in the role of Father Merrin delivers a hysterical performance relying most of his scenes on scatological humor and profanity. For example, when Reagan says "f*** me" and he immediately jumps into her and simulates to be penetrating her. Another example is the line where Reagan's mother says "she won't even let me touch her!" and the priest responds "yeah sometimes that happens, you have to give candy to the children" (or something like that); obviously referring to recent pederastry cases. On the other side, the movie also has "classical" but always effective teen humor . For example, when entering the room for the first time, he gets scared and runs away when Reagan turns her head on 180º; and the always effective vomiting cycle.

After the Exorcist spoof, the movie centers on the Poltergeist and Entity spoofs. That's when the movie takes a new direction and does not changes from it. Expect spoofs from popular t.v. commercials, songs (Vitamin C), and even racist and homophobic jokes. The sex jokes worth a watch specially on the infamous clown scene, and the sex ghost.

"Scary Movie 2" does not "cross" the line on the vulgar factor. It's just a good rated R movie with spoofs for all tastes; of course, if you are not easily offended. But be sure to watch it on DVD; do not watch the t.v. version because it's very cut (specially on dialogs).

This is in my opinion the best of the "Scary Movies".

A Weak Storyline Filled With Constant Hilarity

Author: loserking from USA
5 July 2001

Since the first Scary Movie completely ripped off Scream, at some points scene for scene, the film had a very developed, rich storyline which was filled with tons of hilarious gags.

Half of that works in the sequel. The storyline is weak, mainly copying the plot of the lackluster "The Haunting" which leads the main characters to spend a weekend in a haunted house. This is a great idea, but the story is not developed enough and after watching the film, I couldn't even remember why the characters ended up in the house in the first place.

Yet, the film's cast and writers give constant hilarious moments to add to the weak storyline and make a great film. Anna Farris returns as Cindy Campbell and is just as hilarious as she was in the first film. Other returning members are Shawn Wayans as Shorty, Regina Hall as Brenda, and Marlon Wayans as Ray.

There are several other new cast members, such as Tori Spelling, who does a tolorable job as a fellow college student, Alex. Several other cast members make the film enjoyable and the gags are hilarious. This is a great movie to see, because it's short and just something to laugh about, so fork over the nine bucks and laugh your ass off.

Even funnier than Scary Movie! (some spoilers)

Author: patrick_bateman_77401 from California
4 July 2001

I just got back from "Scary Movie 2" just about an hour ago and I'm still laughing from thinking about it.

The cameos by James Woods, Veronica Cartwright, and Natasha Lyonne are funny enough just to pay for admission. But that's before the film starts to get funnier as the Wayans spoof "The Haunting," "Hannibal," "Save the Last Dance," and "Charlie's Angels." The only (semi) downside to the movie was that the sex jokes in this were racier than the ones in the original film, especially the spoof of "Titanic" that ends very messily.

But besides that, "Scary Movie 2" may probably be the most fun you will probably have at the movies this summer.

Sequel returns with great original characters and brilliant new ones

Author: Chiidatbe from United Kingdom
28 November 2008

To start with, I love the way this film was worked around a storyline where the original Scary Movie seemed rather random. Ferris, Hall and Marlon Wayans all once again completely steal the film, but new additions Cross and Elliott also have some amazing writing and scenes.

The highlights for me were the opening scene with the spoof of The Exorcist, Cindy vs. Cat, the talking parrot and any scene involving Chris Elliott. I also thought the Charlie's Angels spoof towards the end of the film was also brilliant, particularly when a cow was being sucked around the tornado.

Definitely a movie to watch if you want some good amusing immature fun with over the top acting and great gags.

Clever and Witty but Mixed Emotions.

Author: Jakemu Raine from Toronto
15 October 2002

I have various mixed emotions about this sequel to the hit SCARY MOVIE. It wasn't as good but it delivered many laughs and slap-on-knees. I was a little surprised at this one on how they could spoof any movie right after the other. If you really liked the first one, you could be disappointed or satisfied with this one. I was satisfied. 7/10

My MPAA rating: R for strong crude sexual content and humor, drug use and language.

Bottom of the Barrel

Author: Tom Schulz (tomjschulz@hotmail.com) from Louisville, KY
17 July 2001

I might have to do some checking up on this, but I'm pretty sure that seven writers is a record high for a non-anthology film. And just what is this cinematic treat scripted with so many pens? It's probably really good, right? I mean, with seven writers, it would have to be extremely good…or very, very bad. Unfortunately, it is the latter, and the movie is `Scary Movie 2.' This sequel of the funny teen-horror spoof `Scary Movie' has none of the subtleties, parodies, or even big laughs the original film did. Instead, it digresses to overtly sexual and gross-out humor which doesn't even work on a gut level. I feel sorry for every person associated with this project.

The story line is actually a little more involved for `Scary Movie 2,' as if you needed a plot to set up the horrendous `laugh scenes,' which are fewer and far between this time. Classic camp actor Tim Curry is Professor Oldman, a college teacher who recruits a group of students to spend the night in a haunted house so he can conduct some sort of experiment (though we never really understand what that experiment is all about). Of course, this group contains most of the kids from the first `Scary Movie,' including innocent Cindy (Anna Faris), loud-mouthed Brenda (Regina Hall), marijuana-obsessed Shorty (Marlon Wayans), and sexually questionable Ray (Shawn Wayans). New this time is straight-arrow Clark (Christopher Masterson). The house is inhabited by the twisted butler Hanson (Chris Elliot) and even a ghost (`Night Court's' Richard Moll). The kids slowly discover the mysteries and secrets of the house, and make every bodily function, sexually oriented, inappropriate joke along the way.

There are those who complain about this style of humor in general, and therefor will not see this movie. However, sometimes it works, such as in the original `Scary Movie,' `American Pie,' and even at the far end of the scale, `There's Something About Mary.' There, the gross out is permissible because there are characters we mildly care about, or there are other types of humor going on as well.

However, `Scary Movie 2' is the prime example of where gross out humor can go wrong. Instead of playing up some of the humorous character stereotypes, or mixing in some creative horror movie parodies with the gross-out humor, `Scary Movie 2' relies solely on it. It seems to me that many scenes in the film were robbed of their comic potential so our seven scriptwriters could fit more vomit, feces, and other unmentionable bodily concoctions into the film.

There are a few laughs that harked back to `Scary Movie,' and those scenes always feature one of the two Wayans brother's characters. Even though they had five other folks working with them, its clear that this is their project. Maybe those other five scriptwriters fought back and added in the gross-out stuff.

As for performances, the same can be said. Both Wayans seem to have more comedic experience than their fellow teen-age counterparts. Faris is better than she was in the first `Scary Movie,' but nowhere near as funny. Plus, she still looks and sounds just a little too odd for me. Curry hasn't had a good role since the mid 80's, and its sad that this is the caliber of film he works in. There are other famous cameos including James Woods as a priest and former Conan O'Brien sidekick Andy Richter as his assistant, but one must wonder what they are doing slumming around in this film. After watching Woods in his worst performance to date, it frightened me to realize that Marlon Brando was originally cast in the role. There would be no saving his career had he gone through with this.

If you have any desire to be thoroughly disgusted, or like your humor from the bottom of the barrel (and I mean bottom!) then check out `Scary Movie 2.' Otherwise, go on living your life with the knowledge than unlike myself, you managed to escape this waste of a sequel.

The definition of mixed bag comedy

Author: blackaugust79 from United States
21 May 2009

I'll admit that I written off Scary Movie 2 when I first seen it as a sporadically funny sequel to Scary Movie(which I love). After seeing it again it's a lot better than I gave it credit for and is better than what comes after it.

Scary Movie 2 pokes fun at haunted house movies, The Exorcist and even Charlie's Angels. The movie has its fair share of laughs in the beginning of the movie but sometimes the gross out gags are way over the top. To explain why I think this movie is a mixed bag, I'll contrast the funny parts from the unfunny parts.

Funny Scene#1: The beginning with the spoof on the Exorcist was pretty funny stuff.

Unfunny scene#1: The scene with James Woods on the toilet is flat out disgusting. Bleeech! James Woods already gives me the creeps so the last thing I need to see is him on the john.

Funny Scene:# 2: Marlon's character teaching Anna Faris's character how to be hip and she mistakenly beats up on some unsuspecting girl.

Unfunny Scene# 2: Chris Elliot's abnormal hand digging into a pie as well as a turkey. Nuff said! Funny Scene# 3: Tori Spelling's character becomes clingy to a ghost after a night of sex.

Unfunny Scene# 3: Shawn Wayan's character impaling the evil clown from Poltergeist with his third leg. Need I say more? Funny Scene: # 4: The spoof on the Nike commercial.

Unfunny Scene: #4: The wisecracking parrot pooping.

I could go on forever.

Scary Movie 2 is a lot better than most people give it credit for but it could have been a lot better than it predecessor. What kills it is the excessive gross out gags are focused on more than the movie that its supposed to poke fun at. All in all it was a good spoof not a great spoof. Its definitely better than Scary Movie 3 and 4.

Page 1 of 55:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]