IMDb > Chori Chori Chupke Chupke (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chori Chori Chupke Chupke

Chori Chori Chupke Chupke More at IMDbPro »

Preity Zinta all the way!

Author: Peter Young from Earth
15 February 2008

This is a generally nice film, with good story, great actors and great songs. The cinematography was unfortunately bad. One of the film's weakest points is the annoying chain of sequences copied from Pretty Woman. Why? Does it hurt to attempt some originality, Abbas? Mustan? Anyone?

The film is about a newly married couple, Raj and Priya (Salman - Rani). Priya cannot conceive after an accident she had during the previous pregnancy, and they finally decide to use a surrogate mother, who will carry their child. They pick Madhubala, a vulgar prostitute played by Preity Zinta. The film is not really realistic, I mean, isn't it easier to adopt? And even if they pick a girl, does it mean the man has to sleep with her? Have you heard of insemination? Anyway, I guess if the writers had heard of all this, the film wouldn't have been made, so the concept is apparently intentional.

Salman acts very well. It's nice to see him playing a serious character. But his character suffers from unnecessary and cheap dialogues about his great love to his wife and how hard he finds it to sleep with another woman. Come on, it's cheesy and unrealistic. Rani is just about OK; she is generally effective and does try to do something with the role but gets completely overshadowed by Preity Zinta.

The film belongs to Preity, who steals the show in a big way with her flawless performance. She makes the transformation from a loud prostitute to a sensitive woman easily and naturally. She lives the film, emotes and makes you love her and admire her at the same time, partly because of her role, partly because of her magnetic and positive personality. This is one of her career-best performances. There is no doubt she is more talented than her industry contemporaries. She just should do more such roles.

The film's ending only highlights what I said above. It is tear-jerking, exciting and very well-acted. Watch it for Preity.

7/10 for the film! 10/10 - for Preity!

A good effort after all the hype!

Author: Awais from United Kingdom
12 March 2001

The year 2000 had been a bad year for indian films due to lack of quality and imagination from film directors. Other than Mohabbatein and Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai nothing stood out. CCCC had lot of contraversy due to the financing of the film and this with not really knowing what the film is about has generated good publicity and advanced ticket sales for the film around India and Abroad. The only information given was that it was a suspense thriller. The film is now been released in 2001 and the film was surprisingly quite good. The main plot is to do with surrogacy and is well handled. Salman And Preiti give a good performance where Salman doesn't actually take is shirt off at all..must be special effects!! Rani plays Salmans wife but it is slightly a less demanding role compared with Preiti who plays Prostitute who eventually becomes the surrogate mother. The three main leads confirm, after Har Di Jo Pyar Karega, they have a solid on screen and off screen chemistry(apparently). Salman Khan who is excellent plays a serious role in the film as a successful business man and is a pity is being exploited as a wannabe comedian in his other films as he is quite underrated in the Mumbai film industry partly due to the films he chooses. Rani's Character does not know Preiti is a prostitute until the end...this kept from her and the rest of the family...the rest you should find out as it will ruin the film if i told you. The songs are all picturised well especially dekhne walon and the main title song. The other supporting actors do a minimal but fine effort as Salmans loving family. Abbas Mastan has produced a hit and handled the film subject tactfully..I say go and watch it or rent it whatever you prefer!

Want to see Salman in a cool and serious role? Catch this...

Author: cybersupam from Bangalore
30 March 2008

After a love triangle story in Har Dil Jo Pyaar Karega these 3 stars were again chosen in this controversial flick. The film would have been considered as hit if there was not a controversy with the production values from Bharat Shah. Here director duo Abbas-Mustan did a very different and unique job as compared with their previous and after directorial ventures. They are considered as thriller makers of Bollywood. But in this CCCC they proved that they can equally handle to make a romantic family drama. Hardly there is a single action scene when Preity was being raped by Salman's colleague in her apartment, Salman slapped him.

The movie has almost all the standards and ingredients like song, story, casting, performances etc. which are required to make a movie hit. But of course for Salman's fan this was something a surprise gift from him. Why? Because for so long he has been doing roles where he has a scene to show his open body and dance la-la-la all around. His role as a rich young businessman who has no-nonsense nature and of normal attitude is really impressive. After all Madhubala, a prostitute role performed by Preity is amazing. Later when she too turns out thoughtful about her life she deserve proper attention. Her facial expressions and body language become more attractive, and focus mainly goes to her. Her previous role as a pregnant woman in Kya Kehna was not that heart-touching as it is here. Of course, this can be termed as improvement. Then Priya, a very innocent and helpless wife of Raj who only depends on him for a better result. She has nothing powerful influence in the story as the main ingredients are in the hands of Preity.

Finally, the main point of the story which is something rare and unique in itself. In real world of this age it is not totally impossible to happen such step of searching for a surrogate mother. Perhaps, many are happening in this large world where these are kept secret. And in this way the scriptwriter of CCCC has uncovered a hidden truth which is taking place in others daily lives. But still then it is a doubt.

Pretty Woman with a lemon twist

Author: Ace_of_Hearts from Holland
17 February 2004

In Chori Chori Chupke Chupke we see the love of a close family. Amrish Puri plays the patriarch of the Malhotra family. His health is ailing and his one desire before he dies is for his grandson Salman Khan to give him a great grandson. Reluctant at first he eventually gives in to his grandfather and agrees to get married. His family arranges for him to wed Rani Mukherjee and before long they are expecting their first child. Unfortunately Rani miscarries and is told by her doctor that she can't have any children anymore. For fear of disappointing their grandfather they decide to find a surrogate mother, which they do in the prostitute Preity. Things go horribly wrong when Preity falls in love with Salman and her maternal instincts start kicking in...

The premise of 4C is quite innovating but too bad it is badly executed. It remains a nice story but it has inconsistencies that have a similar effect as nails on a blackboard. The first half of the story is about the romance between Salman and Rani. Or should I say lack of? Salman and Rani fleetingly meet at a party and promptly her family makes an offer for marriage. What a coincidence... Is this destiny at work? Or does her family make offers to all relatively handsome wealthy men?

Her miscarriage forms the turnpoint of the movie. Ofcourse this is a very tragic tearjerky moment that the viewer saw coming miles away. It's kind of like watching Final Destination and wondering which kitchen utensil or household appliance will prove to be 'fatal'. It was sort or reminiscent of the miscarriage scene in Dil Kya Kare except for the actual means.

Then Preity enters the frame. Which is also where the nails hit the blackboard. Although adoption seems to be the most obvious alternative, it is certainly understandable that they both want the child to be 'fathered' by Salman. But why a prostitute? I suppose there is a certain truth that in traditional Indian culture an unwed woman would not be willing to get pregnant. But does that mean that there are no such women? Maybe not in India, but what about the rest of the world? Even without taking all this in account, a prostitute is hardly the obvious choice given the time we live in. Ever heard of AIDS or other STD's?

What really makes my hair stand at end, however, is the actual getting pregnant bit. There was absolutely no need for Salman to sleep with Preity. Artificial insemination is a complicated procedure which I'm sure the Swiss (where they are staying) have heard of. And even not being interested in AI, there are more primitive methods. For a long time I thought that the turkey baster method was a myth, but if they can do it in If These Walls Could Talk 2 and Popcorn and Chutney, I have two words for our three musketeers... turkey baster.

Nonetheless, if ignoring these DETAILS it is still entertaining to watch Rani and Preity at work. You can almost taste Rani's desire to become a mother even if her motives are a little skewed. The star however is Preity. She really is Pretty Woman in her transformation from working girl to... to what? ... herself, I suppose. It's hardly surprising to watch her fall in love with the first man who has ever shown her true affection and respect. In Salman and his family she finally finds the love she has been craving for. Which makes her sacrifice even more noble and touching. Well done Preity. Her love interest is another matter. Salman Khan is a great actor. Unfortunately his character lacks depth. He gets married because his grandfather wants him to. He wants a child because his grandfather wants a great grandchild. He finds a surrogate because his wife wants him to. The makers should have take an extra page out of Pretty Woman and given Salman Richard Gere's spine.

Finally the dance sequences and songs are wonderful. Especially No. 1 Punjabi and ofcourse the title song Chori Chori Chupke Chupke.

***/5 stars

Great Movie

Author: vanitymercede9 from United States
28 January 2005

I love this movie very much i watched it over and over. I don't see why anyone would think this movie wasn't good. Maybe you have seen better or whatever it is i personally love it. It is one of my favorite movies and I am not Hindi at all but i do love it. It might be a little like "Pretty Woman" but i haven't seen that and I don't think it's any better than this. I don't know why you are all trashing about it but maybe you have a good reason but I think i have said it enough but i absolutely love this movie, and to those who say it's not good at all well then I wonder why you watched it and what movies you consider good. As for everyone else that i watched it with they enjoyed it too so it surprises me that this many people don't like it. As for Rani Mukherjee ( i think thats how you spell her last name) she is very beautiful and my favorite actress ever!

Great film

Author: kokovyas from United States
13 April 2016

I wonder if there is any sense of sense in this movie. Its a big joke. Good.. Its entertaining .. You get to see the most stupid plot played very seriously in the form of a film .. I wonder which audience group this movie is basically targeted to.

Priety (a pros) plays a surrogate mom for a happy couple Salman/Rani who want a child but can't. I wonder how it would be if this drama was a real-life take-off from a real couple's life.

Rani appears happy with another pretty lady in her house who has been brought in to make a child for her & Salman. She cares for Priety and tries pushing her husband Salman to Preity so they may have some romance. When will the audience get fed up of Salman's nakhras.

Though a good past-time, this movie is unbearable. Absurd.

Good enough for me. *ONE SPOILER*

Author: rajivgill ( from Perth
17 August 2001

The plot is fine enough, but let's admit that surrogate mothers type of stories has been done to death. So it's really fortunate that this film has terrific performances to bank on. There's no questioning Preity and Rani's capabilities. They're among Bollywood's best performers and they certainly help to liven up CCCC. Surprise, surprise, Salman comes with a good performance himself. His restrained acting is a fresh change (for the better!). For once, he doesn't take his shirt off and I thank God for that. It would have done damaged to the film. One thing I like about CCCC is that it doesn't drag. It comes straight to the point. Rani and Salman's courtship is short and sweet. They don't take ages to introduce Preity's character. And I especially love the scene where a pregnant Rani dances in her room. There are subtle suggestions of impending doom and I truly commend directors Abbas-Mustan for executing that particular scene with style! All said and done, CCCC makes for good entertainment and hopefully, Rani and Preity will get Filmfare Award nominations (if not the Awards themselves) for their roles.

An Entertainer with fine performances & music.

Author: Salman Akhter from London
26 March 2001

Chori Chori Chupke Chupke has all the ingredients to be a success of 2001 after "Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai", which was the huge success of 2000.

This is a remake of "Doosri Dulhan" which starred Sharmila Tagore, Shabana Azmi and Victor Bannerjee, where all the three performers delivered excellent performances. The visible difference with that movie is its presentation and youthful lively characterization with Anu Malik's music.

The film begins with some light moments with some songs well filmed on abroad locations, later takes an emotional turn with the entry of Priety Zinta, as a prostitute, who is chosen by Salman Khan to conceive his baby.

All the three characters have done a splendid job, but the winner is undoubtedly Priety Zinta, the film belongs to her, she has performed very well as a prostitute who encounters a different world after entering in the life of Salman Khan.

Even though getting less scope Salman Khan performs lively and underplays the character as per demand, Rani Mukerjee too has done her part of job pretty well.Rest Johny Lever, Amrish Puri & Farida Jalal did as usual.

Abbas Mustan, the director brothers has a good grip on script, especially in the second half of the movie,Music Director Anu Malik has come up with one of the catchy title song "Rag rag main is tarah...", dialogues by Javed Siddiqui are also worth appreciation with some meaningful lines.

The only draw back is its unacceptable story idea, but the positive aspects are enough to make it a box office success.

Chori chori chupke chupke

Author: shivakumarvishwa from India
15 June 2008

This film is a very good movie.The way how the everybody portrayed their roles was great.The story is nice.It tells us about Raj who is in love with Priya.They get married.She later becomes pregnant.But shortly their is a problem.Sadly they wont get the child.Raj later meets Madhu.He bribes her.She later becomes pregnant but she is not married to him.The movie is very good.The dialogues are wonderful.The songs are melodious to listen.The picturisations are good.The wedding song is very colourful.Salman,Rani,Preity were excellent. .The cinematography is excellent.The film is beautifully pictured in Swiztertland.The cast makes the movie great to watch.Worth the money and time.. Rating-8/10

This is not surrogacy.

Author: srikanth731 from United States
18 September 2005

This movie is traditional bollywood fare as far as the star power, sentimentality and love triangle of emotions. What really bothered me about this movie was the makers' absurd notion of surrogate mother. A whore who conceives a child with someone after have sex with the man (of the family desiring a child) is not a surrogate mother. Neither is she a good candidate for a surrogate mother. I have seen Indian movies and television shows that made 10 to 15 years ago that dealt with this issue more intelligently. The whole concept of the movie is ridiculous and absolutely implausible. I realize that most bollywood movies aren't meant to be plausible, but they don't pretend to be either. This movie wants us to emote along with the characters, but this can't done with such a ridiculous, contrived conflict. I would have expected better from Abbas and Mustan.