IMDb > Sweet Home Alabama (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sweet Home Alabama

Sweet Home Alabama More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 40: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Recommanded to everyone who loves a cute love story!

Author: bergenlive from Norway
4 September 2012

I'm so tired of romance movies that aren't really romantic, and that's why I've watched this one over and over. Defiantly recommended to everyone who loves a cute love story!

The first scene in the movie is sure to get any romantic person really exited about the movie. It shows a short story of two young children, Melanie and Jake, who fall in love at a young age. You can't watch the scene without being convinced that they're meant for each other. That's why the next scene will make you wonder what happened and why they aren't together anymore. Melanie has moved to NY and met a new guy, Andrew, and goes back home to Alabama to face her past before she get's married again...

With the great actress Reese Witherspoon and handsome Josh Lucas as leading actors, you'll follow a great story filled with love and wonders of it!

The reason I rated it 9/10 in stead of 10/10 is because of a few childishly dramatic scenes and then some boring and useless ones.

Syrupy sweet, but enjoyable in parts

Author: Sandcooler from Belgium
10 August 2012

"Sweet Home Alabama" is pretty much a no-brainer, even to the standards of a Hollywood romantic comedy. It just doesn't have any substance whatsoever, and the few attempts at bringing in some actual conflict come of as extremely stilted. This is one of those movies where people get mad at each other for the vaguest of reasons, only to forget all about it two lines later. I guess technically there is in an antagonist in this story (the groom's mother, who's sorta against the wedding when she feels like it), but they don't really do anything good with the character and just play it straight most of the time. This could make the movie extremely boring, but thankfully it's not. Reese Witherspoon's sparkling persona pretty much carries the movie, and the inoffensive story lines leave plenty of room for corny yet touching romantic scenes. The climax could have been a lot more exciting than it is, but I guess it fits the overall atmosphere of the movie (everything and everyone being almost unbearably nice). "Sweet Home Alabama" is by no means great cinema, but it's pretty easy to sit through I guess.

Sweet Home Alabama

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
19 February 2012

The title is easy enough to remember, because of the famous song (although the original version does not feature), and I definitely remembered the leading actress starring, so that was a good enough reason for me to see it, from director Andy Tennant (Fools Rush In, Ever After: A Cinderella Story, Anna and the King, Hitch). Basically up and coming New York fashion designer Melanie Carmichael (Reese Witherspoon) is proposed to by her boyfriend, the mayor's son, Andrew Hennings (Patrick Dempsey), but the only way they can get married is if she divorces her current husband who she hasn't seen for years. So she, original surname Smooter, returns down South to her original home town in Alabama to get her husband Jake Perry (Josh Lucas) to sign the divorce papers, but to get his own back on her he refuses. While Melanie tries to make him change his mind she decides to set the record straight about what she used to be like amongst people she knew in her past, including her parents Pearl (Being John Malkovich's Mary Kay Place) and Earl (Road Trip's Fred Ward), mutual friend and closet gay Bobby Ray (Ethan Embry) and friend Lurlynn (Heavenly Creatures' Melanie Lynskey). There are the small points when Jake may sign the papers in anger or to allow her to make her happy, and she does wake up on a morning to find the papers filled out, but she and he do try to reconcile about why the relationship didn't work. In fact, they may be inadvertently falling in love again, but Melanie refuses to give into her feelings, especially when Andrew comes looking for her himself, but he does not care about his past, but he knows she should not be ashamed of it. With this in mind he decides that they should stay in Alabama and get married there, after the Civil War Reenactment has finished of course, and all the preparations get underway with Jake feeling sad that he has lost his childhood sweetheart. It comes to the wedding day, and everything seems happy in the ceremony, even with a doubtful Melanie, but then her lawyer arrives her and reveals that while Jake signed his name on the divorce papers, she didn't sign her name. So this means that they are still officially married, but she decides not to sign and make an official divorce because she does in fact still love her current husband, Andrew understands her true feelings, and Melanie and Jake reunite happily, and there is still a joyful ceremony. Also starring Candice Bergen as Mayor Kate Hennings, Jean Smart as Stella Kay Perry, Ali G Indahouse's Rhona Mitra as Tabatha Wadmore-Smith, Thomas Curtis as Young Jake and Dakota Fanning as Young Melanie. Witherspoon is both feisty and sweet, Lucas is alright as the at first mean then nicer neglected husband, it is obviously not the most original story, the big city girl returning to her small town routes, or the already married woman wanting a divorce and then falling in love with the husband again, but it is near enough a watchable romantic comedy. Okay!

I can't help it, I love this movie!

Author: leonie_kerssens from Haarlem, Netherlands
20 November 2011

I am quite sad that this movie gets a rating below 6 because I really love it. And I'm not prejudiced; I am usually not such a fan of romantic comedies, more into serious movies, but this movie is just such a feel good.

I like the acting, though I do understand that its a bit stereotypical and overacted (but it's supposed to be). I also very much enjoy the setting and the general feel of this movie. The jokes were okay, there weren't any where I laughed out loud but nor were there any where I cringed from it being a bad joke or anything.

And of course the storyline is nice, it is interesting, romantic, funny but sometimes also a bit sad and gives the feeling of a story that could really happen.

This is one of the few movies I watched more than once and I enjoy it every time.

So even though its not a perfect movie I am going to give it ten stars because I think it deserves higher than what its been getting up until now.

Reese Witherspoon Makes Sweet Home Alabama A Great Romcom

Author: Desertman84 from United States
28 October 2011

Sweet Home Alabama is a romantic comedy that stars Reese Witherspoon, Josh Lucas, and Patrick Dempsey.The story is about Melanie Carmichael,portrayed by Witherspoon,an up and rising fashion designer that has gotten almost everything she wished for since she was a child - a great career and a handsome fiancée. But when he proposes to her, she doesn't forget about her husband,who has yet to sign divorce papers seven years ago.The screenplay was written by C. Jay Cox from the story by Douglas J. Eboch.It was directed by Andy Tennant.

Melanie Carmichael is a successful New York fashion designer who is dating Andrew Hennings. Despite her polished uptown image, Melanie grew up poor in the deep South, and as a teenager she married her high school sweetheart Jake Perry. Things went sour and Melanie moved East, reinventing herself along the way, but Jake never bothered to legally end their marriage. Now Melanie has to return to her hometown of Pigeon Creek, Alabama to tell her parents the news and convince Jake to grant her a divorce.However, the more time she spends with her old flame, the more she feels sparks flying between them again, while she also learns her Eastern affectations don't fly with everyone back home.

After establishing herself as a bankable star,Reese Witherspoon effortlessly elevates this predictable and clichéd story into a very funny and highly entertaining romantic comedy like no other.She is so charming that her natural beauty and acting talent guarantees great entertainment.She makes the film so engaging and extremely interesting despite the fact that everyone knows how what going to happen next in movie.In summary,this is one movie that one should not miss for it will be a lot of fun.

a bad rom com which still is charming in a way.

Author: khan2705 from Pakistan
25 August 2011

After establishing herself as a bankable star with the fish out of water comedy Legally Blonde, Reese Witherspoon returns in what could be described as a "fish back in water" comedy. Melanie Carmichael (Witherspoon) is a successful New York fashion designer who is dating Andrew Hennings (Patrick Dempsey), a wealthy socialite whose mother, Katherine Hennings (Candice Bergen), is the Big Apple's mayor. One day, Andrew pops the big question and asks Melanie to marry him; Melanie is overjoyed, but unknown to Andrew, Melanie has some unfinished business to take care of first. Despite her polished uptown image, Melanie grew up poor in the deep South, and as a teenager she married her high school sweetheart Jake Perry (Josh Lucas). Things went sour and Melanie moved East, reinventing herself along the way, but Jake never bothered to legally end their marriage. Now Melanie has to return to her hometown of Pigeon Creek, AL, to tell her parents (Fred Ward and Mary Kay Place) the news and convince Jake to grant her a divorce; however, the more time she spends with her old flame, the more she feels sparks flying between them again, while she also learns her Eastern affectations don't fly with everyone back home.

Starring Reese Witherspoon, Josh Lucas, Patrick Dempsey, Candice Bergen, Mary Kay Place , Fred Ward , Jean Smart , Ethan Embry , Melanie Lynskey , Courtney Gains , Mary Lynn Rajskub , Rhona Mitra , Nathan Lee Graham , Dakota Fanning.

Directed by Andy Tennant who directed some acceptable movies like Hitch and Ever After and some other bad Rom Coms.

this is your another cute, funny, charming rom com that as usual falls in the category of trashy rom coms. i still may like it for its sweet premise but please, it is full of flaws.

Resse Witherspoon looks nice and does a nice job. Josh Lucas was my favorite in it, Patrick Dempsey should have just sticked to my most favorite TV drama only. other actors were okay.

direction was really bad and so was screenplay which was very bad. like it sucked. story was clichéd and almost nice. nice cinematography and stuff. plot was severely boring and really tiring. some sweet and a few tear jercking moments.

its about a Fashion designer of New York who gets engaged with the mayor's son and goes back to her hometown to tell her parents. the guy she was married to has been avoiding their divorce papers for past 7 years. he does the same now. she gets drunk in a bar and embarrass herself, Jack and her friends. the next day papers are signed. they have a encounter where she finds some things about jack, with all the past stuff she becomes emotional and tells him she can't marry but he stops her. Andrew arrives and finds about everything but still want's to go with the wedding while the Mayor arrives too. will the wedding happen or not or will she stay married to Jack? find out yourself.

a badly made rom com which stills wins your heart.

You'll fall in love all over again!

Author: sonyaa_random_musings from India
9 May 2011

Home is where your heart is and home is where your beloved lives... that's our Sweet Home Alabama. A story about a small town girl,Melanie who is married to her childhood sweet-heart Jake Perry, a carefree and happy-go-lucky guy, suddenly decides to put her misplaced priorities on track and leaves home for New York city. But love comes knocking once again when the the suave US Senator Andrew Hennings proposes marriage. Now Mel has to go back home once again to sort out her past in order to secure her future. But when on one hand memories of the past beckons and the future is yet bright and promising...What is Mel still thinking? Where is her heart? As an audience you have the answers as you are completely involved and you're hoping that Mel finds them too which she eventually does but not before a twist in circumstances!

Reese Witherspoon as Melanie,the snooty fashionista and socialite is her usual spunky self with whom you develop a love-hate relationship from the time she comes down home to Alabama. Josh Lucas as the rustic Jake is endearing and of course Patrick Dempsey's charm too sweeps you off your feet especially that marriage proposition is oh-so-romantic! The chemistry between Mel and Jake is there for you to behold! But you simply can't miss out on the love angle between Mel and Andrew either!! In this love triangle,you're totally in love with both the guys whether it's Jake or Andrew and the director doesn't try to make one guy good and the other good-turned-bad to make it easier for Melanie to decide right till the end even when she's walking down the aisle!

When you're in love...there's never a dull moment; that's our Sweet Home Alabama for you!

Sonyaa, www.sonyaa-random-musings.blogspot.com

Sweet Home Alabama Theme/Plot

Author: lsteiner082380 from United States
18 March 2011

Sweet Home Alabama is your basic everyday romantic comedy. The movie stars Reese Witherspoon as Melanie Carmichael, Josh Lucas as Jake, Patrick Dempsey as Andrew, and Candice Bergen as Kate (Moritz, Chaffin, & Tennant, 2004). Melanie Smooter, also known as Melanie Carmichael, is a southern woman who left the small town of Pigeon Creek, Alabama to become a top designer in New York City (Moritz, Chaffin, & Tennant, 2004). After several years, Melanie's career is flourishing, and she becomes engaged to her boyfriend, Andrew, who happens to be the son of the Mayor of New York City (Moritz, Chaffin, & Tennant, 2004). Their engagement becomes a big story in the papers which forces Melanie to go back to Alabama and take care of her past (Moritz, Chaffin, & Tennant, 2004). Her past being that she was still married to Jake, her high school sweetheart. Her stubborn husband refuses to sign the divorce papers because he is still in love with her (Moritz, Chaffin, & Tennant, 2004). This is when the tug of war starts. After several days of interaction, Melanie goes back to New York City with Andrew (Moritz, Chaffin, & Tennant, 2004). All the while, she is still thinking about Jake. During the ceremony, Melanie discovers that she is indeed still married to Jake because she forgot to sign her name to the divorce papers (Moritz, Chaffin, & Tennant, 2004). She takes that as a sign, and leaves Andrew at the altar (Moritz, Chaffin, & Tennant, 2004). This movie does of course have a happy ending, unless you liked Andrew better. Jake and Melanie live happily ever after. The film's theme is that of most romantic comedies, that love conquers all. The focus is on emotional effect or mood. While the movie does have a lot of comic relief, the focus is to bring about a romantic mood. Another movie that is similar in theme and focus is Notting Hill. The movie has a good amount of funny scenes to break up the romance, but it's main focus is on the relationship of Anna Scott played by Julia Roberts, and William Thacker, played by Hugh Grant (Kenworthy & Curtis, 1999). This is why these two movies would be classified as romantic comedies or chic flicks. Sweet Home Alabama has some wonderful directing and producing. The lighting of the film is excellent. One scene in particular that demonstrates the lighting techniques is when Jake and Melanie are in the dog cemetery. It's night time, the lighting is very dark like there is just moonlight. The way the light hits Melanie's face makes the tears in her eyes glisten (Moritz, Chaffin, & Tennant, 2004). Without the proper lighting techniques, this would not have been accomplished. The angle of the camera also had to just right in order to capture that mood and effect. It is a great example of just how well this movie was made. On a personal note, this is one of my favorite movies. I know it is your typical girlie movie with a happy ending. However, that is why I watch movies. I know they aren't like real life, and that's why I like them. Movies are supposed to a little unrealistic!

References

Kenworthy, D. (Producer) & Curtis, R. (Director). (1999). Notting Hill (Motion picture). United States: Universal Studios.

Moritz, N.(Producer); Chaffin, S. (Producer); & Tennant, A. (Director). (2004). Sweet home Alabama (Motion picture). United States: Touchstone Home Entertainment.

We don't think Jake and Melanie are The Reel Thing

Author: reelcouples from United States
18 March 2011

If Melanie's gone to all that trouble to get out of Alabama and change her life then we just can't see her running back to it. There is no doubt that Jake is a certified hottie, but even if he does have the most popular glass shop south of the Mason Dixon, the fact is that he is and always will be a redneck. A woman who lives in New York, works as a fashion designer with raves in WWD, is engaged to the most eligible JFK, Jr knockoff in town and has erased all traces of her southern past, does not move back down to hicksville to be with her first boyfriend. As C likes to say—a real-life Melanie who got the hell out of backwardsville at the first available opportunity—it's not so much that you can't go home again, as you just really, really don't want to.

There is definite chemistry and of course history between these two, but we just don't think Melanie would let it go so far as another marriage. We see her coming to her senses, heading back to the city, and eventually settling down with someone who's more Dior Homme than John Deere.

Reel Thing Rating: 2 out of 5 Reels

Perfect Cast, Perfect Writing, Reese is Great.

Author: Trish Michaels from United States
21 November 2010

I agree with another reviewer. I can't stop watching this movie! When ever it comes on, I watch it. Can't say that about many films. Each time I watch it, I get something more out of it and appreciate the terrific writing, acting, directing and music, which is perfect for every scene. Perfect casting with Candice Bergen, Cortney Gains, Jean Smart, Mary Kay Place and all the others. Not one actor wasn't absolutely perfect in their role. Reese is brilliant playing both Yankee & Southern girl. Reese's scene in the cemetery was especially moving. And to have to choose between Josh Lucas & Patrick Dempsey. What a lucky girl! Josh, keep that shirt off! This movie is seriously under rated.