IMDb > Sweet Home Alabama (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sweet Home Alabama

Sweet Home Alabama More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 40: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Good ol' down home American made racism

Author: Makinmovesn04 from United States
30 November 2010

Out of morbid curiosity I watched this trash on cable. It followed the standard RomCom formula only spiced up with that special blend of hatred and ignorance only found in the deep south (and Hollywood). One scene summed it all up for me. The token black character comes to the parent's house, they make him gay not just to emasculate this time. The father gives him a silent look of hatred and disgust, giving you the options of racist, homophobe, or both. What a charmer this RomCom was. The confederate flag pillows were a nice touch, as well as the black servants at the "plantation". Mmmhmm, bet that takes the good ol' boys back to their heyday....idiots. This movie was garbage for many reasons, that just stood out to me as the worst. A supreme waste of time. Im glad I didn't waste any money.

Predictability

Author: IpsaThis from California
30 June 2005

I'd say watch out for spoilers here, but I can't think of a single surprise offered.

My hatred for this movie exists on many levels, but for all the fans out there, I'm wondering: was there one second during this film when you didn't know exactly how it was going to end? I try not to analyze movies while I'm watching them, and I can never solve murder mysteries before the characters do, but I had this entire thing figured out in about 4 minutes. Right down to who didn't sign the divorce papers. Is it supposed to be predictable, and just a fun ride? And if so, why are all the main characters jerkfaces who I wish no happiness for? Is profanity allowed here? Thanks.

maybe the worst movie ever

Author: stank_88 from United States
3 March 2003

For my comment, see summary above. This movie is just that bad. This movie was so predictable. I knew what was coming from start to finish. Reese Whitherspoon was not good, not cute, and not funny. Fred Ward was the only good character, only because he was the man in Tremors and Tremors 2. In summary. don't Buy this movie, don't rent it either, and if you could keep yourself from ever seeing another preview it would be a step in the right direction.

Un-funny and boring

Author: dtlofton from USA
19 January 2003

This movie was advertised as a "romantic comedy", but I didn't laugh once. Not even a chuckle. Many groans though. The plot was trite and uninteresting. Reese Witherspoon's shrill hyena-like voice was like an ice pick in my ear. Candice Bergen was horrible (as usual). One of the worst films I've ever seen. 1 out of 10.

Movie is absolutely awful

Author: tinytimmys from Eugene, Oregon
7 October 2002

This is a movie that had to be heavily advertised with a name star (Reese Witherspoon) to bring people into it. It would never survive through word of mouth. The adults act like irresponsible children who are clueless as to how to make a relationship work. The male characters are an embarrassment to the race of men. This movie has no humor, a horrible script and nothing to hold your interest. I tried to go to sleep but my wife wouldnt let me. The only thing good about this movie for a guy is that if you go with your wife or girlfriend because they wanted to see it, they will owe you BIGTIME. Its just awful.

not even worth the price of rental!!

Author: beanhertz-1 (beanhertz@yahoo.com) from tallahassee, fl
30 September 2002

i was so excited to see this film that i ran right out and paid full-price for it saturday night. what a huge disappointment!! i have no problem with movies that appeal to thirteen-year-olds. i am the queen of teen flicks, but this movie was crap. the stereotypes and cliches rum rampant and the acting is just bad. i love reese witherspoon, but this the worst movie i have ever seen her in. she's adorable to look at, but she didn't make me laugh once. candace was good for a few laughs, and both the husband and the husband-to-be were nice to look at (i've liked patrick dempsey since can't buy me love), but the movie was so god-awful that it was painful to watch. they had the double-wide trailer, the confederate flag, the war re-enactment, the coon dog and coon dog cemetery, the female with a million kids and her overweight, mullet-wearing husband, the bad southern accents, the old beat-up pick-up trucks, the high hairsprayed bangs, blah, blah, blah. it was one huge cliche!! i've lived in the south for 29 years and don't know anyone who is like the people in this movie. and there was no chemistry between reese and her two men. i didn't believe she even wanted to marry patrick dempsey, and the engagement scene wasn't the most amazing engagement scene like another reviewer mentioned. it was totally unbelievable. i didn't feel any chemistry between her and jake either. the scenes when the two of them saw each other for the first time in years were just cheesy slap-stick comedy. and the ending was predictable, unrealistic, and stupid. don't waste your money on this film. go see my big fat greek wedding again instead.

I surrender

Author: Andrew Hutchings from Calne, England
23 December 2002

I'm no historian on the subject of the American Civil War, but, in spite of its flaws, I surrender to 'Sweet Home Alabama'because of the charm of Reese Witherspoon. She is such a good actress that you do begin to wonder what she is doing in a fluffy romantic comedy like this, especially as it is definitely not as good as 'Legally Blonde'. But I'm glad she is in it, because it is just like an old-fashioned studio 'vehicle', tailored to suit her upcoming stardom. Once you adjust to the slowish pace, the movie is worth staying with, in spite of its predictability. I mean, how many romantic comedies aren't predictable? There is a good supporting cast. I especially liked her parents, who really felt as if they were actually the characters they portrayed. Josh Lucas, who impressed in 'A Beautiful Mind' is a good match for Reese's character, and he helps play down the sugar-sweetness with a grittier performance than is usual in such films. This isn't great, but definitely watchable, with Reese Witherspoon now confirmed as the biggest threat to Julia Roberts' throne as chief actress in Hollywood. Kirsten Dunst is only just around the corner, though...

An absolute disaster of a movie!

Author: howard78 from Merion, Pa
3 February 2003

When I saw this movie I could not believe how bad it was!

The director must have been asleep during the shoots. All of the shots are poorly framed, dull and uninteresting, much like a lousy home movie. The performances are uninvolving.

True, I had just come from watching "Blood Simple" (an all-time classic) but, trust me, this is one awful film. It's not even worth writing more commentary.

Howard78

Not Really Too "Sweet" (3/10)

Author: jhclues from Salem, Oregon
5 October 2002

Had this movie been made forty years ago, it would've starred Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward; it's that kind of story-- a romantic and lusty foray into the human condition that takes truth, honesty and love into consideration while examining the relationships of those involved. As for the Newman/Woodward fantasy, as an audience we could only be so lucky. Because `Sweet Home Alabama,' directed by Andy Tennant, coasts with a `Fast Food Generation' sense of romance, and from frame One any `lusty' aspects of the film would be more aptly defined as `dusty,' `musty' or `rusty.' If this is a reflection of the sense and sensibility of romance in the new millennium, then just stop the world now and let me off.

Melanie Carmichael (Reese Witherspoon), seven years removed from her roots in Alabama has achieved success in the Big Apple. She is `The' new designer of the fashion world, and the man of her dreams, Andrew Hennings (Patrick Dempsey) has just proposed. Life is good; but there are a couple of things standing between her and the American dream. One is Katherine Hennings (Candice Bergen), Andrew's mother. But the biggest obstacle is back home in Alabama, and before she can realize her dream she's going to have to resolve a few things from her past. Which means a trip back home to the place-- and the life-- she's worked so hard to get away from. But there's no getting around it; to move ahead with her new life she's going to have to open some closet doors and rattle some skeletons. So for Melanie, it's off to her old sweet home, Alabama, to visit the past she'd rather forget.

As a director, Andy Tennant has his roots in television, and for better or worse-- it is, perhaps, a subjective call-- he has time and again attempted to adapt his small screen sensibilities to the big screen, which worked well enough in `Ever After,' in 1998, but achieved dismal results the next year in `Anna and the King.' This offering falls somewhere in-between. To be fair, though, the problems began before Tennant ever came on board, and it falls directly on writers Douglas J. Eboch (story) and C. Jay Cox (screenplay), who cranked out a story/screenplay that is decidedly uninspired and lacks any semblance of originality whatsoever. As a rule, I personally rail against those who deem the outcome of just about any film `predictable,' because it's usually in reference to plot developments that are, more accurately, `inevitable.' This one, however, is going to make everyone in the audience thinking they have The Sight.

To put what Tennant has done here into perspective, one must place him on the scale by which directors of romantic comedy are judged. On the strength of her `Return To Me,' Bonnie Hunt shares the apex of the chart with the undisputed master of the RC, Nora Ephron, both of whom register at the 100th percentile. At the nadir of the chart is Adam Shankman (`The Wedding Planner'), with a `0' percentile. This film puts Tennant at about 20. Granted, he was handed a poor script (how did this get the green light in the first place? It's been DONE already!), but he exhibits a veritable lack of vision with a truly unimaginative rendering of the material. The story is trite and the characters are inherently uninteresting, but he could have at least livened things up a bit. He even blew the outdoor dance scene, which was custom made for some good old down home Alabama rockabilly and line dancing; instead, what you get is a glimpse and a cut-away to a shot of the good ol' boys sitting atop a water tower drinking beer. Make that the 19th percentile.

In `Election' and especially in `Legally Blonde,' Reese Witherspoon is a charismatic, forceful presence on the screen. As Melanie, however, she comes across as too self-absorbed to be likable, and there's a scene in which she's had a bit too much to drink that, as they say, shows her (Melanie's) true colors. She has too much of an edge to evoke any empathy, and overall, her performance isn't that convincing. She gets the `hard' side of Melanie right, but when she goes for `soft' it translates to pretentious and lacks the realism that would make it believable. In retrospect, Melanie is rather unattractive and unappealing, which makes this film a hard sell.

Josh Lucas, meanwhile, though a step up from McConaughey's Steve/Eddie of `The Wedding Planner,' still comes across as a kind of third-rate Paul Newman wannabe. Comparing Newman's Ben Quick to Lucas' Jake Perry, for example, isn't comparing apples and oranges, it's more like sizzle to fizzle. Lucas is a good actor (his Martin Hansen in `A Beautiful Mind'), but he lacks the magnetism to make Jake viable.

As Andrew, Patrick Dempsey gives something of an assembly line performance. In his defense, he was given little with which to work, but he failed to explore it for the nuance that would have at least given some `identity' to his character. Dempsey has the looks and talent, and perhaps a stronger director could've exacted more from him.

And what in the world is going on with Candice Bergen? Is she destined to play a sarcastic and jaded (Katherine in this one) or disturbed (Kathy Morningside, `Miss Congeniality') version of Murphy Brown for the rest of her career? Bergen is a beautiful, gifted actor who has much more to offer than what she's been given in recent years.

The supporting cast includes Fred Ward (Earl), Mary Kay Place (Pearl), Jean Smart (Stella), Ethan Embry (Bobby Ray) and Melanie Lynskey (Lurlynn). With a different cast, director and screenplay, `Sweet Home Alabama' may have had a chance; but this bunch checked any pizzazz and credibility at the door on the way in, and the result is a film that is flat and tedious. This one seemingly had promise, but the filmmakers simply failed to deliver. 3/10.

The End of an Era

Author: pr65 from United Kingdom
10 June 2017

I thought that this film was a pleasant Rom-Com with good performances all around. Overall, I think you could call it a feel-good movie, and in today's world of war and terrorism that has to be a good thing. Escapism is one (among many) of the functions that movies provide, a temporary escape from the worries and stresses of life. I gave this review the title 'End of an Era' because I would be very surprised if it would be possible to make this film again. It has a tolerance of Southern nationalism (Confederate pillows, her father dressed in a Confederate uniform etc) that would be difficult to include post the 2015 Charleston murders and the subsequent bans on the use of Confederate imagery by many retail outlets etc. Personally I think that was unjustified, effectively like trying to destroy history, and I find it quite sad.