IMDb > Sweet Home Alabama (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sweet Home Alabama

Sweet Home Alabama More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 40: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

maybe the worst movie ever

Author: stank_88 from United States
3 March 2003

For my comment, see summary above. This movie is just that bad. This movie was so predictable. I knew what was coming from start to finish. Reese Whitherspoon was not good, not cute, and not funny. Fred Ward was the only good character, only because he was the man in Tremors and Tremors 2. In summary. don't Buy this movie, don't rent it either, and if you could keep yourself from ever seeing another preview it would be a step in the right direction.

Un-funny and boring

Author: dtlofton from USA
19 January 2003

This movie was advertised as a "romantic comedy", but I didn't laugh once. Not even a chuckle. Many groans though. The plot was trite and uninteresting. Reese Witherspoon's shrill hyena-like voice was like an ice pick in my ear. Candice Bergen was horrible (as usual). One of the worst films I've ever seen. 1 out of 10.

cute movie but not very ethical

Author: yingxingz from NYC
13 November 2002

So the girl just dumped her fiancee like that and ran to another guy on the wedding day? Not forget to mention, after all the things her fiancee has done for her and all the happiness he has brought to her life, she just DUMPED him like a garbage and punched his mother? YEAH RIGHT! I DON"T BELIEVE IT. This is a very cute movie, but overall, I didn't enjoy it very much.

Movie is absolutely awful

Author: tinytimmys from Eugene, Oregon
7 October 2002

This is a movie that had to be heavily advertised with a name star (Reese Witherspoon) to bring people into it. It would never survive through word of mouth. The adults act like irresponsible children who are clueless as to how to make a relationship work. The male characters are an embarrassment to the race of men. This movie has no humor, a horrible script and nothing to hold your interest. I tried to go to sleep but my wife wouldnt let me. The only thing good about this movie for a guy is that if you go with your wife or girlfriend because they wanted to see it, they will owe you BIGTIME. Its just awful.

An absolute disaster of a movie!

Author: howard78 from Merion, Pa
3 February 2003

When I saw this movie I could not believe how bad it was!

The director must have been asleep during the shoots. All of the shots are poorly framed, dull and uninteresting, much like a lousy home movie. The performances are uninvolving.

True, I had just come from watching "Blood Simple" (an all-time classic) but, trust me, this is one awful film. It's not even worth writing more commentary.

Howard78

Absolutely dreadful

Author: Philip Banerjee from Sheffield, England
2 February 2010

This was a real waste of an evening. The storyline was weak, and it was difficult to empathise with Reese Witherspoon's character - not all her fault as the script did her no favours, giving her such a two-dimensional role to play. Patrick Dempsey's character similarly did him no favours - he surely must look back on this dreadful movie as a low point in his career. This role gave him little scope for his talent to shine. The stereotyping of the 'Democrat mom-in-law' was appalling and conveyed a distasteful political bias. Furthermore, Sweet Home Alabama gave out a rather simplistic, clumsy 'North is bad, South is good' message, which is rather bizarre for this genre of movie, not to mention inappropriate and alienating. This is a very poor movie.

It was so bad I walked out of the theater!

Author: james anon from St. Louis, MO
22 October 2002

I couldn't believe I sat through the entire movie only to see her end up with her loser ex-husband. The ending was so unrealistic I feel I wasted two hours of my life watching that trash. I walked out after that, but I hear there were several more minutes of worthless filler afterwards.

7 years of trying to get a divorce, 8 months of being with "Prince Charming", and she gives it up after being in Hickville for a week?? Give me a break, not to mention giving up her New York lifestyle and future career.

Servicable.

Author: P Carr (pavel@fan.com) from Topeka, KS
15 March 2003

**Warning! Spoilers Ahead!**

First off, I'm a guy, and "chick flicks" such as this aren't my thing at all. So for me to say that "Sweet Home Alabama" was mostly watchable is a compliment.

From seeing the trailers and the opening scene, any experience movie-goer could predict the plot outline, so the effectiveness of this movie really depends more on the appeal of the characters. In that regard, Reese Witherspoon is very good. All-American good looks, a little attitude, and that touch of a Southern accent that all guys love.

But even she can't upgrade the movie to 'good' status. It runs fifteen minutes too long, as scattered short scenes throughout the movie are awkward and unnecessary. Scenes like the faux tour of her mansion, finding her father in the battle, and a past story about a cat.

**Double Warning!! Major Spoilers Ahead!!**

The root problem of "Sweet Home Alabama" though is its simple predictability. Almost nothing is surprising. A few of the requisite South jokes work, primarily if you've ever spent time there, but for the most part they're as cliche as the movie.

If the movie had really wanted to be something, Witherspoon's character would have made the non-Hollywood cliche decision, or at least fused career and her past better. Would someone with such a bright future really choose to walk away from much of that? Isn't there a compromise to be made between love and life? Telling that story would truly have been emotional, perhaps a genuine tear-jerker, and movie that would have connected with an even broader audience.

Bottom Line: The director takes no chances. Potential is wasted, and a potentially ground-breaking movie is merely servicable. 5 out of 10.

Oh not so sweet

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
19 January 2014

Reese Witherspoon is Melanie, a fashion designer on the rise in the New York fashion scene with an upmarket attitude to match. She is is engaged to the son (Patrick Dempsey) of the Mayor of NYC but she is still married to her childhood sweetheart back home in Alabama and must go back home to get a divorce from Jake (Josh Lucas.)

Once she returns home she is reminded of her past that she has escaped from. A small town in the south. Of course Jake does not want to lose the girl again who ran out on him some years earlier.

Its a simple tale full of stereotypes. Icy politician, small town friends, red-necks, feisty females, gay fashion designer, its all very twee and predictable.

Plus we have Melanie's father (Fred Ward) who is into re-enacting the Civil war and makes statements such as the 'South is rising.' Why does the film not explain what this means? The Yankees are once again shown as cold, aloof, calculating, cynical with the South as lovable, homespun, elegant but they wanted slavery and if they still had their way, there would still be black slaves and I as someone living in the United Kingdom is thinking when the South rises does that mean slavery is back?

But the writer and director does not care to explain this. Its just a case of after spending some time back home, does Melanie discover first love again or marry her fiancé.

Boring

Author: Arthur Ribeiro from Brazil
30 September 2006

I was very deceptioned with this movie. I went to the theater looking forward to watch a "so funny film" - as they told me - and went out very bored. The movie is a very long journey of Reese Witherspoon (ever pretty), searching for her lost happiness. The problem is that this journey is without any exciting happening. She screams, cries in the rain, fights and that is all. I almost slept. If you like an exciting movie that makes you laugh every time, watch "Rat Race" and not "Sweet Home Alabama". I'm telling you. The only "happy" event in the movie is when Reese's father uses his special chair, and it's not to make you laugh, is to say that this movie is a comedy, and it is so distant from being one. But watch it if you want to see a pretty actress.