« Prev | 10 of 20 Episodes | Next »

I loved seeing the characters get together in one show like this.

Author: richard.fuller1
4 August 2001

All the comic strip characters receive invitations to a cruise by a little man with a big nose who doesn't like laughter. When he himself laughs, he pulls out a bug spray can and starts spraying all the Ha-Ha's floating in the air. Bluto is his amusing comedy relief sidekick.

Among those going on the voyage are Popeye, Olive Oyl at her most annoying (can still sing her bikini song), the Katzenjammer Kids, Hi & Lois, Blondie (the Flagstons and the Bumsteads were next-door neighbors), Beetle Bailey, Lil Iodine and Snuffy Smith. There were others but I haven't seen this thing in almost thirty years now. The cruise is diverted to an abandoned island. Popeye loses his spinach as he must save Olive's wardrobe. When the characters are told they are prisoners, they try to escape with a message in Snuffy's moonshine bottle. Funny moment for Snuffy as they didn't ask his permission to use the bottle. The heroes who show up are the Phantom, Terry & the Pirates and that Magician fellow.

Finally, Lil Iodine, the Katzenjammer Kids and a black child I didn't recognize head to the island's kitchen and make a Dagwood Bumstead sandwich then come face-to-face with . . . . the man who hated laughter!

This was one of the Saturday Superstar Movie offerings from thirty years ago and I have always enjoyed this story. Again I have not seen this thing since then and would hate to watch it now and wonder what I liked about it. I loved it then and thought its quick slapstick jokes and at moments pure silence with no music are what made it so different from continuous musical soundtracks in other cartoons.

Rarer still, it knew how to end. On the whitehouse lawn, we see the comic strip characters waiting to be addressed by the president of the United States (then Richard Nixon). "Where is he, Popeye?" "Oh, I think he is doing some very important paperwork," Popeye says of the president. Once inside, we see the prez laughing as he reads the comics.

Fade.

Good one!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
15 July 2005

When this show was on I watched it every time I could! I thought that the characters were really funny and all had great personalities. The animation in My opinion was crisp, clean, and really clear. Not to mention beautiful! Most of the characters in this show are hilarious like the Looney Tunes characters that we all love. in My opinion these characters are the funnies and talented ever seen. In fact, The things that goes on in this series' cartoons are in My opinion nuts which that is what makes them hilarious! There are so many to like and laugh at and the silly things they do! If you like the original Looney Tunes then I strongly recommend that you watch this show!

A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World Comic Strip Style

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
1 October 2003

Imagine a movie with some of the most popular comic strip characters ever and still having room for more. This is just what this film was. I remember this film from the old "A.B.C. Saturday Superstar Movies" and it had to be one of the funniest films ever done. Popeye and his supporting cast, Hi and Lois, Dagwood and Blondie and most of the classic King Features syndicate characters all in one feature. This was a great film and I just wish that someone would either put it out on video or that Cartoon Network would show it. This is a one of a kind film.