Tortilla Soup (2001) Poster

(2001)

For Years, I Put off seeing SOUP Because It Was a Remake of EAT DRINK MAN WOMAN. Big Mistake, That!
KissEnglishPasto2 August 2016
.......................................................from Pasto,Colombia...Via: L.A. CA., CALI, COLOMBIA and ORLANDO, FL

When Maribel (Tamara Mello) learns her Brazilian boyfriend Andy (Nikolai Kinski) speaks 5 languages. She's duly impressed. She zings a question: "What do you call a person who speaks several languages?" He quickly responds: "A polyglot?"..."OK," She continues, "and a person who speaks 2 languages?"..."Ahhh, BEE-lingual?" He says, flubbing the pronunciation. Her final question: "And what about a person who speaks only ONE Language?" "Ahhhhh" He pauses, prompting her to answer her own rhetorical question/cultural joke: "…An American!"

In a way, this joke almost sums up the movie. Those of you who are fluent in 2 or more languages, will probably get it. Many of you who are MONO-lingual might shrug your shoulders, smirk, and simply say..."Yeah, So WHAT?!?" For years, I have put off seeing SOUP because it was a remake of EAT DRINK MAN WOMAN. Big mistake, that! Now just because I've rated this 9* (vs.8.5* for EAT DRINK) doesn't mean I expect most of you to rate it 8* or higher!

Look, SOUP takes place in L.A., where I grew up. Also, all my life I've been exposed to bilingual/bicultural Hispanic families from many different countries! Certainly, SOUP is far from perfect, but I loved it. WHY? First, I thought Raquel Welch (Birth name: Jo Raquel Tejada, of Bolivian/Irish parents) was absolutely hilarious. What a talented comedienne…What uncanny timing and delivery! Such a tragedy she isn't offered more juicy roles, like this one.

She was 60 years old when this was made! WOW! BTW-You wouldn't happen to have her phone number, would you? Interesting Wikipedia fact: Welch was the last star created under the star system! Well integrated cast (no pun intended) delivering a delightful ensemble performance. Hector Elizondo's Spanish, oddly enough, was slightly off and belied the fact that his character was an immigrant, but his nuanced performance made that easy to overlook.

WARNING: Don't watch this movie with an appetite! It would be torture…

9*STARS*...ENJOY/DISFRUTELA!

Any comments, questions or observations, in English or Español, are most welcome!....KissEnglishPasto@Yahoo.com
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the most enjoyable movies in a long time.
Mike7 September 2002
I thoroughly got swept up in the story and the characters. It was wonderful seeing an adult movie without all the foul language that seems to overwhelm Hollywood at the moment. The acting was just perfect from everyone. I would watch this movie over and over again. Of course I like to eat and the food scenes reminded me of watching Emeril Live.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A nice little movie
sommerjd3 February 2003
Better than the ordinary Hollywood movie, this family comedy does a very nice job of presenting a variety of characters in the throes of pursuing their own version of the American Dream. That the family is Mexican-American adds a welcome difference. The camera loves the food being prepared, the Latin-flavored music score enlivens the proceedings, and the acting is quite serviceable. Jacqueline Obrador and Elizabeth Pena shine as the older daughters in the family, the always-reliable Hector Elizondo is fine in a rare leading role. Of greatest interest, however, may be Raquel Welch, playing her age and her ethnicity for the first time in my memory. It is her role, not her performance, that mars the movie. She is a caricature of an older-middle-aged unattached woman, the butt of unkind jokes. And it is the unwitting bias toward the older woman character that undermines the otherwise upbeat, happy ending intended. Still, this one's worth the cost of a rental. Not great art but at least it doesn't insult the viewers' intelligence.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't understand why movie is rated so low.
gandalf-3131 January 2005
My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this film. We had wanted to see this when it first came to video/DVD but didn't get to it. Frankly, I then forgot about it. Last week, I was reminded of the movie and went out and rented it.

I have not seen the Ang Lee movie, "Eat, Drink, Man, Woman" so can not comment on how it compares. But we really liked "Tortilla Soup" The performance by the cast of Elizondo, Pena, Obradors and unknown (to me) Mello; was very good. Raquel Welch was a bit over the top, but all in good fun. The interaction between the father (Elizondo) and daughters was believable and you could sense the love he had for them under his stern exterior (and you knew his daughters knew it too).

As others have mentioned, the food preparation and serving scenes were colorful and very beautiful. Shows there is a lot more to Mexican cuisine than what you run into at most restaurants.

This movie will make you smile, like enjoying a good meal. 8 out of 10
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Could Be (and was!) Much Better Done
Gary Murphy3 August 2003
This has a wonderful plot. The father of grown daughters suffers the generational clash and cultural clash of old vs. new. This is an hispanic (but English language)remake of the Chinese film "Eat Drink, Man, Women". Both show the writing credits of Ang Lee. This falls far short of the original.

I saw "Eat, Drink..." a few years ago. Although, my wife tends to dislike subtitled movies, she tolerated this one for me. We both loved it. It was well written, directed and acted. "Tortilla Soup" is an ok movie, but failed to keep my attention in the same way that "Eat, Drink..." did. The acting was OK. The direction seemed ok as well. I can't put my finger on why, exactly, but this movie just isn't as good.

Unless you absolutely refuse to view subtitled movies, definitely forego this in favor of "Eat, Drink, Man, Women".
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Remake of Eat Drink Man & Woman, both are excellent
joel brandt31 January 2005
This is an exact almost word for word copy of Eat Drink Man Woman, a 1994 Twainese production. Both movies are great, but Tortilla soup looses points for lack of originality.

Both movies offer sharp portrayals of their various cuisines, and your preference may be Mexican vs.Chinese, however if you can tolerate the fast pace Chinese dialog (subtitles), see the original first. I also preferred the scenery of the original (Eat Drink Man Woman), but perhaps that is because Taiwan is the orient and the architecture is spectacular.

Finally, both movies are well acted although the lifestyle portrayed in the story line may be somewhat more believable in the Southern California setting of Tortilla Soup.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful Film!
TBRoberts121 August 2002
I highly recommend "Tortilla Soup" to anyone that is a fan of great films. Hector Elizondo is perfect as the veteran chef who has to accept that his three grown daughters are finally moving on with their lives. The cast runs smoothly throughout the whole movie, and by the time it ends you feel better about life. It is a very up-lifting and feel-good movie, and I think it is perfect to anyone that either needs that or wants that in their life. Enjoy...
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thoroughly enjoyable film - go rent it!!!
litwack15 July 2002
'Tortilla Soup' was a "scrumptious" delight. The acting was wonderful, especially by the lovable Hector Elizondo. Although the plotline was not unique, it was an endearing, entertaining, well-done film. I believe that anyone who did not like it missed the point. Give yourself a treat - rent it - and enjoy!!! Also, as a bonus, the food in it looks divine
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pleasant, but pale remake
mozu31 August 2002
"Tortilla Soup" is certainly worth watching, even if you have already seen "Eat Drink Man Woman," but I would have enjoyed it much more if I hadn't seen the original version. I kept making comparisons throughout the whole movie. Ang Lee's characters just seemed more genuine, the food more mouthwatering, & the story more believable. I wonder if I'd feel the same if I had seen "Tortilla Soup" first...
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Family Cooking...
jpschapira7 February 2005
Well, well, it's hard to describe this film. Sometimes you always feel good when you're watching a film. I don't know exactly the reason. I just know that in some occasions you fell not so good because of the events that occur in one film. Here it's about feeling good.

It's very comforting to see Hector Elizondo here. I have always liked him. And I have never thought of his acting qualities, or evaluated him as an actor, I just have always had fun watching him on screen. This movie is no exception. I gotta give him the fact that he actually looks like a cook (chef). He actually seems to enjoy the meals he prepares daily. And also seems his family, people who love him. And there wouldn't be much a film without this love.

Martin's (Elizondo) three daughters are the center of the film, of course, including their dad. Tamara Bello is beautiful. It's the first time I see her in a movie, but there's such charm in her face, and she makes Maribel the kind of girl some teenagers may identify with.

Leticia (Peña) is also some kind of misteryous, but understandable. We get her situation, and maybe know there's no way out. But we are also by her side, when she has the time to improve. She has kept his feelings for too long, as if she was obliged to, and know she's desperate to let them go.

Carmen (Obradors) might be the opposite. She has let her feelings go, but has kept some of them inside also. It is like she knows she must take some decisions, and she takes them, only she may not be so sure, she may just think she is.

The rest of the actors are perfect choices, and make each of the characters they play another part of this charming film.

I'm hungry...
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thought this was a "Chic Film"...it's not
ebert_jr26 January 2002
Tortilla soup is all about family and food (dinner) and how each really draws inspiration from the other. The food is the hub from which the drama, and the laughs, turn.

Three daughters, each at different phases of their lives, are torn between their home lives ruled by their stern but loving father and the outside world. Dad, a chef, spoils them with some of the best nuevo spanish cuisine any latina daughter could ever possibly hope for, and has instilled in each an appreciation of food, and life. Dad is single, realizes he is about to lose the core of his family one by one and food is all he has, or so he thinks. Just when you think he'll be alone to cook for himself, surprises come in spades. And, as always, it's the food that draws them all back.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Tortilla Soup Leave Moviegoers Hungry
aglovale123 October 2001
You've got to wonder about a film that pitches its food as the star. Not that the dishes, prepared by the `Too Hot Tamales' Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, fall short of expectations. Tortilla Soup is rife with cooking and dinner scenes that feature both classic Mexican and Mexican fusion dishes. But nobody eats film, so the magnitude of the food's presen ce distracts from the story line. Or maybe the story line distracts from the story line.

Lying beneath it all, is a story about a family of Mexican-Americans and their abruptly changing lives. Hector Elizondo (Chicago Hope) is Martin Naranjo, a semi-retired chef and the father of three young women. Every Sunday his three daughters are required to join him for a grand meal, which he spends the day preparing. His eldest daughter Leticia, played by Elizabeth Pena, is a devout Christian and a schoolteacher. She's the daddy's girl. The middle child Carmen (Jacqueline Obradors) is a successful executive, with an eccentric style of cooking that aggravates her father. The youngest daughter Maribel (Tamara Mello, She's All That) is a fun loving high school student that longs to see the world. Soon Leticia starts receiving love letters, Carmen gets offered a job in Barcelona, and Maribel decides to run off with her new boyfriend. Nothing is as it once was. People begin to miss Sunday dinner, which aggravates Martin, whose taste is dead and health may be failing. Martin decides to fill his new free time with the courtship of the mother of a family friend. Hortensia (Raquel Welch) seeks Martin as her fourth husband.

The dining scenes are extensive, acting as segues into the major conversations in the film. The cooking scenes battle the dialogue for time on the screen. The soundtrack, most audible when food is either being prepared or being eaten, turns out to be the hidden star of Tortilla Soup. It's light Latino fare, showcasing `Si En Un Final' by Eliades Ochoa of the Buena Vista Social Club and a Spanglish version of `Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps,' by Lila Downs. It's a warm fuzzy moment when the girls sing a song together during post-dinner KP duty. That's what sisterhood is all about. It's about the love, the support, and the cleaning.

Everything seems to work out for the characters, as they often do in movies. I'm not going to give anything away, but I will say that it involves both `living happily' and `forever after.' There's a twist, which the written documents sponsored by the film all boast as unpredictable, and this can be attributed to its lack of support throughout the film. The cast, despite a high level of talent, fails to perk up dialogue that teeters on the edge of cheesy. In one scene, Leticia and Carmen discuss their father's disdain for Christianity. Martin, a Catholic, feels that Christians worship Christ, rather than Christianity as a whole. Carmen mentions that Christ was a Christian, and both girls are surprised when the hairdresser reminds them that Christ was a Jew. Wouldn't the `devout' Leticia have known that?

One of the more tactfully placed cultural snippets is the persistent use of Spanglish, the Spanish/English hybrid, which Martin shuns. His demands for either English or Spanish to be spoken in his household serves the character well, reinforcing the juxtaposition of Martin's loyalty to tradition and his Americanization of the daughters. A great deal of Tortilla Soup seeks to enrich the audience with factual knowledge about Hispanic culture and religion, but most of it is presented it so conspicuously as to make it appear forced and excessive.

The film's saving grace is the relationships between the characters. While the characters as individuals are peppered with stereotyping, the entire Naranjo family and their friends blend together nicely. Through thick and thin, sisters are sisters, and offer each other unwavering support. Their father, who struggles with his own faults, seeks to find the line between helping and suffocating his children. As his family changes, so must he, and for a man seeped in tradition, change comes slowly. Martin is aided through this transition by the hand of a young girl, a daughter of a friend, whom he visits at school daily to bring a home cooked lunch. The young girl quells Martin's empty nest syndrome and also plays a roll in the `surprise' ending. And that's the best hint you'll get the whole movie.

It's difficult to say whom Tortilla Soup was written for. It's rated PG-13 for sexual content, but it leans toward PG. It's really a family movie, a daytime matinee. Maybe something to do in the afternoon before having a nice sociable dinner. Then again, the food in the film looks so good, dinner will probably be a disappointment. Directed by Maria Ripoll. 102 Min. Rated PG-13.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Souper? Well, not quite but a fine remake of Eat Drink Man Woman
Amy Adler30 May 2017
In Los Angeles, widower and restaurateur Martin (Hector Elizondo) has a few problems. One is that since his wife's death, he has lost a great deal of his sense of taste and must rely on his fellow chef Gomez to examine the dishes he prepares. But, more importantly, his three daughters still live at home and MUST come to the Sunday meal he prepares for them as a family. Oldest sibling Leticia (Elizabeth Pena) is a chemistry teacher and a born again Christian; she dresses very conservatively and dreams of love. Middle daughter Carmen (Jacqueline Obrados) is a business gal who generally considers affairs of the heart less important than her working goals. Oddly, she is the sister who has inherited her dad's skill as a chef. Youngest daughter Maribel (Tamara Mello), about to enter college, is a free spirited lady who takes a shine to a Brazilian born neighbor, Andy. Sometimes activities crowd the ladies' weeks but they can't skip Sunday dinner. Now, an attractive widow, Hortensia (Raquel Welch) comes calling with an eye on making Martin her next husband. Also, mysteriously, Leticia begins to receive love letters on her school desk. Could they be from the new baseball coach (Paul Rodriguez)? Carmen and Maribel also have ups and downs in their love lives while Martin's partner suffers a health setback. What lies ahead for the family? This lovely remake of Taiwan's Eat Drink Man Woman has a great and very attractive cast. Welch is especially a hoot as the determined divorcée. Sets, costumes, script, direction and score are all quite nice. Most wonderful of all is the food preparation caught on screen, very complex and beautiful. While it might not be a "souper" evening of fun and drama, Tortilla Soup has much, much to offer fans of romance, cooking and family ties.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't treat me like a slut just because I've had sex in this decade.
sharky_5524 February 2017
Tortilla Soup is a lively remake of Ang Lee's excellent Eat Drink Man Woman, with much of the plot, dialogue and even shots replicated in a Hispanic cultural context. Seeing this I was reminded of how masterful the original's script was, how it elegantly balanced each of the daughter's strands against the ageing, traditional father. It took its time to reveal their cultural and generational differences - here, within minutes of the movie's opening, the family grievances are immediately aired out. The classic beginning, a wordless sequence of an artist crafting his food, is breezily intercut with each subplot of the daughters' lives.

Familiarly, the semi-retired master chef Martin is regularly summoned to the restaurant to save the day, to make cuisine out of burnt mistakes. His entrance is even more theatrical than the original - he enters the back door and is immediately catered to by a throng of assistants, their long metal arms assembling his chef's uniform. It's like Iron Man suiting up for battle, and to Martin the kitchen is the front line. The food he serves may be delicious, as confirmed by the many guests at his dinner table, but what about the photography? Ang Lee and Jong Lin gave us wafts of steam, they gave us glistening closeups of fatty meat, they gave us juice and sauce. They evoked the senses through the screen - what great food movies do to not only worship craftsmanship, but also make the audience salivate. The food in Tortilla Soup is dull by comparison, and the photography closer to that of a TV special.

And what is the overall theme of the meals? "Call it something French", Martin proclaims of his improvised mishmash of buttered bread and baked apple. The sous chef then smacks his lips and kisses his hand like an Italian. Are we in Mexico, or are we in Europe? The strength of the original was how it tied food to cultural identity, and how the boom of fast food and canteen lunches drove a wedge between two generations. Mr Chu had a proud exterior, but gained big puppy eyes when he saw how the art of xiaolongbao had been desecrated. Héctor Elizondo has almost none of this vulnerability, although he plays the well-meaning father figure well, with patience and sometimes bemused expressions. His youngest is turned into a vapid generational marker: highlights in her hair, a quick wit, and lines so 'hip' that it seems the writer had an epiphany and then couldn't bare to part with them even when they didn't work.

Maria Ripoll, to her credit, has improved on the eldest daughter, who was merely a frigid spinster type, playing off the old schoolteacher trope. But Elizabeth Peña is livelier, more playful, especially in the mirror when she thinks no one is watching her. She hints at the long forgotten sisterly bonds that have faded with age, and when she is caught twirling her hair like a smitten schoolgirl, the quarrels suddenly hurtle back years. Her 'makeover' isn't one sister helping another catch the eye of a man, but two little girls playing dress up, giggling and whispering of crushes. Their kitchen musical show runs along the same lines, and later with this newfound liberation she uses the smashed plate to great effect, and relief.

One final note that I see hasn't been mentioned is the language of the film, which threw me a curveball. They all talk in almost perfectly accented English, and at times it sounds like a bad dub. It doesn't help that the dialogue seems to be mixed slightly louder than the rest of the soundtrack. But this is years of conflicting experiences with blockbusters talking. Am I so set in my ways that I can't accept Mexicans without their typecast accent, like how the bumbling Orlando speaks? The film breaks these Hollywood conventions and says, "Yes, these are Mexicans too, and yes, they are as authentic as those wearing sombreros and gobbling down tacos". That is something invaluable.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Interesting and entertaining family drama with the chef father as the central character.
TxMike25 October 2010
Viewed on Netflix streaming video.

Hector Elizondo is Martin Naranjo, superb chef for Mexican food, not the type we get from the inexpensive corner Mexican restaurants all over Texas, but real gourmet Mexican food. He has been a widow for 15 years and raising 3 daughters in the Los Angeles area.

Martin is a traditionalist. Every Sunday he cooks a gourmet dinner for his family, and they use the setting for family conversation. It seems recently that each Sunday dinner is accompanied by a big surprise. The youngest daughter may not want to go to college right away, instead taking a year off "to find herself." Daughter number two is considering taking a great opportunity in Barcelona. The oldest, a teacher, finds a new boyfriend, the baseball coach at school.

The daughters are Jacqueline Obradors as Carmen, Tamara Mello as Maribel, and Elizabeth Peña as Leticia. Adding spice is Raquel Welch as Hortensia, the single mother of a family friend and who has her eye on Martin.

Good movie, explores family dynamics and each member "finding themselves."
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Enjoy while the soup's hot!
mlevans26 March 2010
Some movies just make you feel good. 'Tortilla Soup' is certainly one of those.

It is the story of a widowed master chef living with his three grown daughters (The premise made me think of the classic Charles Laughton film 'Hobson's Choice.') A fun film, with good dialogue, a sparkling cast and a sweet spirit, it is both hilarious and touching.

Hector Elzondo plays Martin Naranjo, a master chef who has lost most of his sense of smell and taste. (I'm still not sure if he still owns his restaurant, or if he now only helps out there.) He is still living with his daughters, who appear to range in age from about 18 to 30.

Leticia (Elizabeth Pena) is the oldest, an old-maid chemistry teacher who is devoutly devoted to God, her dad and her teaching. Carmen (Jacqueline Obradors) is the middle daughter, who loves to cook, but whom her father has pressed to get an MBA and pursue a career in big business. Maribel (Tamara Mello) has apparently just graduated from high school and is expected to start college soon.

The family is wonderful together. Martin insists on family dinners being respected. He prepares huge restraint-style Mexican meals and expects everyone to be on time and pleasant. With three women under one roof for too many years, though, that isn't often possible.

As the story progresses, everyone finds romance, including Martin. The sisters are fantastic together and each one is fun to watch individually. Stand-up comic Paul Rodriguez is perfect as the high school baseball coach who steals Letty's heart, while Nikolai Kinski is very good as Maribel's Brazilian heartthrob. Former bombshell Raquel Welsh, meanwhile, shows guts at age 60 in playing an over-the-hill near-floozy to perfection. (I am reminded of 1930s love goddess Dorothy Lamour's similar role in 'Donovan's Reef.') Constance Marie, meanwhile, is totally lovable as her daughter Yolando.

Director Maria Ripoll, who has only directed a handful of films, showed an amazingly deft touch – both in the dramatic scenes and especially in the comedic sequences. There are some wonderful moments, including the final dinner together, when Letty and Orlando (Rodriguez) attempt to explain their situation. Elzondo's expression is simply priceless. The same can be said each time he waits to give the 'amen' to Letty's ever-longer blessings before meals.

This is another fine little film that went under the radar. Like 'Off the Map,' 'Eulogy,' 'The Shipping News,' 'An Unfinished Life' and a handful of other little-seen gems of the past decade, this is a delight for anyone who stumbles across it. I recommend at least one large helping of 'Tortilla Soup.'
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Never saw the original (was that a good thing?).
moviedude128 November 2008
I liked Hector Elizondo ever since I saw him in "Pretty Woman" and this movie is definitely no exception.

All right, I admit it. I like "chick flicks" and I'm not afraid to admit it. I can sit in front of this computer and glance at the television screen each time the scene changes and not have to look back. This is one of those films, but when Elizondo gets to cooking, all I can do is sit there and stare in envy at some of the things he can do with food. As much as he's succeeded with his profession in the kitchen, he sort of feel likes he's failed in the family department; not so much because any of his three daughters have failed at anything (quite the contrary), but because he feels like he's failed in teaching his family heritage to them and its values. He also feels pride in his work as a very accomplished chef, even though, as we find out early on, he's lost his sense of taste.

Change happens in all families, and this family is no exception, but, as with everything else, change either brings us closer together in trying to overcome different adversities and obstacles, or drives us further apart. I'd recommend this movie to anyone who wonders about their values and where they should be going in life.

9 out of 10 stars!!!
This Soup Has A Zesty Taste
CitizenCaine31 August 2008
Tortilla Soup is a Mexican-American remake of Ang Lee's earlier Eat Drink Man Woman. Hector Elizondo stars as a family patriarch facing a late life crisis, living with three adult daughters: Elizabeth Pena, Jacqueline Obradors, and Tamara Mello. Each daughter has her own interpersonal crisis to face as well: Being socially withdrawn, trying to please one's parent instead of one's self, and trying to find one's identity distinct from one's family. Mexican cuisine is at the center of the comedy/drama prepared by Elizondo's chef character for each Sunday dinner. At each gathering, a different person expresses proposals to the others present as solutions to their dilemmas. Throw a sizzling, marriage-minded widow into the mix, played by Raquel Welch, and stir with her adult daughter (Constance Marie) who is a single mother and the soup is just right. The script is somewhat weak and formulaic because this is simply a remake, but the actors all shine and make the most of the material, especially Elizabeth Pena (as a withdrawn schoolteacher) and Paul Rodriguez (as a high school coach). The cinematography is sumptuous, especially the food scenes; the colors are reminiscent of Mexican culture. The music is wonderfully lively with ethnic flavoring, especially the very famous Spanish song "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps". *** of 4 stars.
Great Movie
rarroyos24 September 2006
This is the best performance by Hector Elizondo! All of the cast was excellent. I found the movie to be very moving and witty. I never saw the original version but the adaptation is just great. To me this is one of the all time great movies, it brings you along with the sentiments of the family. The cooking scenes are excellent! The story is fantastic! There are some twists and turns that help the movie along, I would rather not give away the ending nor too much information so I won't reveal too much. I would say that as a Hispanic this movie just blew me away and as a single father of four girls with two at home, I can relate to it just fine. The credits say that the song is sung by Doris Day and it may be but for the credits, I just have to believe that it is not her!
Beautiful.
dy15820 June 2006
A father with three very different kind of daughters, the food that binds the family together...what more can you ask for in this movie?

Though Mexican-American Martin has lost his sense of taste, he always manages to whip up great Mexican dinner for his three single daughters. The eldest - a career-minded woman, the middle child - a teacher and the youngest - still a student. The three daughters have always wanted to find their real purpose in life, outside of the family's circles. This is where the clashes occurred, especially between the youngest one and the father.

While the girls tried to find their real identity, their father is also seeking out another woman in his life since his wife passed away years ago.

And they all much later realised that there's more than it meets the eye in terms of family ties.

I had actually no idea that this is a remake of Ang Lee's 'Eat Drink Man Woman' till I saw the opening credits. I had never seen that one yet though. Anyhow, this movie is just beautiful.
Loved it!!
regonly10 June 2006
This was a very nice story, with lot's of GREAT cooking. You may have to love cooking to completely get this movie though. But in my opinion, it does have very good acting. And LOT'S of food. Don't go into it expecting Oscar winning performances or anything like that. But, with an interesting cast of characters like we have here, lot's of fun things can happen. The story is able to take a few turns that were unexpected and help make this movie more fascinating than it might have been otherwise. Have a big meal before hand too, or you'll be starving by the end. Then, just sit back, relax, and enjoy it for what it is, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I was.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Charming Latinization of Ang Lee's "Eat Drink Man Woman"
noralee6 December 2005
"Tortilla Soup" is a Chicano adaptation of Ang Lee's "Eat Drink Man Woman" and I enjoyed it just as much if not more, partly because it was nice to see Latino actors and actresses playing Latinos, as they don't always get to do, such as Hector Elizondo, and because they really felt like a family.

In the Lee original, I felt the patriarch's gorgeous home meal preparation was the same as his restaurant work, while here I got much more of a sense of a family gathering and eating, as in "What's Cooking."

The family announcements at each meal accentuate that eating at home with a parent isn't just an aesthetic experience, but a psychological and sociological one.

The audience, including me, really got into the three sisters' romantic and housekeeping travails, with each making their own way in a realistic world, yet reflecting their father's upbringing, each in her sexy own way.

Latino and Brazilian music is beautifully used to reflect each family member's romance and the sisters together.

But the credits didn't really answer if Elizondo had a stunt double for all that deft slicing and dicing.

(originally written 9/9/2001)
Sound familiar?
morla19728 April 2004
Another user claimed this movie seemed familiar and decided this was because this was a formula movie. Wrong! It may have seemed familiar because it is written by the same screenwriter who wrote a Chinese film called Eat drink man woman. This has the same plot except it takes place in America! Yin shi nan nu (1994) ,Eat Drink Man Woman (1994) (USA)

Retired Master Chef Chu lives in a large house in Taipei with his three unmarried daughters, Jia-Jen, a chemistry teacher converted to Christianity, Jia-Chien, an airline executive, and Jia-Ning, a student who also works in a fast food restaurant. Life in the house revolves around the ritual of an elaborate dinner each Sunday, and the love lives of all the family members.

Same plot of this movie, take a look!
My sort of movie.
eddie-563 February 2004
I have never seen nor heard of, Eat, Drink, Man, Women and just caught the start of this one on Sky Movies. As I didn't have time to watch the film at that time I looked up when it would be repeated and taped it. As I'm a passionate amateur cook I was blown away with the food preparation. As for the film, I found it sensitive, interesting and very well acted. I've watched it right through and will watch it again more than once. So there!!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nice, but nowhere near as captivating as Ang Lee's orignal....
rxfore16 December 2003
Tortillia Souip is a remake of Ang Lee's Yin shi nan nu. The original, even in subtitle form is far superior to this version. To me,it is much like seeing an original Renoir' recreated in a paint by number kit.