IMDb > Tortilla Soup (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Tortilla Soup

Tortilla Soup More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

One of the most enjoyable movies in a long time.

Author: Mike from Venice, FL
7 September 2002

I thoroughly got swept up in the story and the characters. It was wonderful seeing an adult movie without all the foul language that seems to overwhelm Hollywood at the moment. The acting was just perfect from everyone. I would watch this movie over and over again. Of course I like to eat and the food scenes reminded me of watching Emeril Live.

A nice little movie

Author: sommerjd from Ohio
3 February 2003

Better than the ordinary Hollywood movie, this family comedy does a very nice job of presenting a variety of characters in the throes of pursuing their own version of the American Dream. That the family is Mexican-American adds a welcome difference. The camera loves the food being prepared, the Latin-flavored music score enlivens the proceedings, and the acting is quite serviceable. Jacqueline Obrador and Elizabeth Pena shine as the older daughters in the family, the always-reliable Hector Elizondo is fine in a rare leading role. Of greatest interest, however, may be Raquel Welch, playing her age and her ethnicity for the first time in my memory. It is her role, not her performance, that mars the movie. She is a caricature of an older-middle-aged unattached woman, the butt of unkind jokes. And it is the unwitting bias toward the older woman character that undermines the otherwise upbeat, happy ending intended. Still, this one's worth the cost of a rental. Not great art but at least it doesn't insult the viewers' intelligence.

Don't understand why movie is rated so low.

Author: gandalf-31 from Livermore, CA
31 January 2005

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this film. We had wanted to see this when it first came to video/DVD but didn't get to it. Frankly, I then forgot about it. Last week, I was reminded of the movie and went out and rented it.

I have not seen the Ang Lee movie, "Eat, Drink, Man, Woman" so can not comment on how it compares. But we really liked "Tortilla Soup" The performance by the cast of Elizondo, Pena, Obradors and unknown (to me) Mello; was very good. Raquel Welch was a bit over the top, but all in good fun. The interaction between the father (Elizondo) and daughters was believable and you could sense the love he had for them under his stern exterior (and you knew his daughters knew it too).

As others have mentioned, the food preparation and serving scenes were colorful and very beautiful. Shows there is a lot more to Mexican cuisine than what you run into at most restaurants.

This movie will make you smile, like enjoying a good meal. 8 out of 10

Could Be (and was!) Much Better Done

Author: Gary Murphy (glm@hilbertinc.com) from Olathe, KS, USA
3 August 2003

This has a wonderful plot. The father of grown daughters suffers the generational clash and cultural clash of old vs. new. This is an hispanic (but English language)remake of the Chinese film "Eat Drink, Man, Women". Both show the writing credits of Ang Lee. This falls far short of the original.

I saw "Eat, Drink..." a few years ago. Although, my wife tends to dislike subtitled movies, she tolerated this one for me. We both loved it. It was well written, directed and acted. "Tortilla Soup" is an ok movie, but failed to keep my attention in the same way that "Eat, Drink..." did. The acting was OK. The direction seemed ok as well. I can't put my finger on why, exactly, but this movie just isn't as good.

Unless you absolutely refuse to view subtitled movies, definitely forego this in favor of "Eat, Drink, Man, Women".

A Remake of Eat Drink Man & Woman, both are excellent

Author: joel brandt from Sharon Ma
31 January 2005

This is an exact almost word for word copy of Eat Drink Man Woman, a 1994 Twainese production. Both movies are great, but Tortilla soup looses points for lack of originality.

Both movies offer sharp portrayals of their various cuisines, and your preference may be Mexican vs.Chinese, however if you can tolerate the fast pace Chinese dialog (subtitles), see the original first. I also preferred the scenery of the original (Eat Drink Man Woman), but perhaps that is because Taiwan is the orient and the architecture is spectacular.

Finally, both movies are well acted although the lifestyle portrayed in the story line may be somewhat more believable in the Southern California setting of Tortilla Soup.

For Years, I Put off seeing SOUP Because It Was a Remake of EAT DRINK MAN WOMAN. Big Mistake, That!

Author: TonyKissCastillo from Pasto, Colombia
13 February 2016

When Maribel (Tamara Mello) learns her Brazilian boyfriend Andy (Nikolai Kinski) speaks 5 languages. She's duly impressed. She zings a question: "What do you call a person who speaks several languages?" He quickly responds: "A polyglot?"..."OK," She continues, "and a person who speaks 2 languages?"..."Ahhh, BEE-lingual?" He says, flubbing the pronunciation. Her final question: "And what about a person who speaks only ONE Language?" "Ahhhhh" He pauses, prompting her to answer her own rhetorical question/cultural joke: "…An American!"

In a way, this joke almost sums up the movie. Those of you who are fluent in 2 or more languages, will probably get it. Many of you who are MONO-lingual might shrug your shoulders, smirk, and simply say..."Yeah, So WHAT?!?" For years, I have put off seeing SOUP because it was a remake of EAT DRINK MAN WOMAN. Big mistake, that! Now just because I've rated this 9* (vs.8.5* for EAT DRINK) doesn't mean I expect most of you to rate it 8* or higher!

Look, SOUP takes place in L.A., where I grew up. Also, all my life I've been exposed to bilingual/bicultural Hispanic families from many different countries! Certainly, SOUP is far from perfect, but I loved it. WHY? First, I thought Raquel Welch (Birth name: Jo Raquel Tejada, of Bolivian/Irish parents) was absolutely hilarious. What a talented comedienne…What uncanny timing and delivery! Such a tragedy she isn't offered more juicy roles, like this one.

She was 60 years old when this was made! WOW! BTW-You wouldn't happen to have her phone number, would you? Interesting Wikipedia fact: Welch was the last star created under the star system! Well integrated cast (no pun intended) delivering a delightful ensemble performance. Hector Elizondo's Spanish, oddly enough, was slightly off and belied the fact that his character was an immigrant, but his nuanced performance made that easy to overlook.

WARNING: Don't watch this movie with an appetite! It would be torture…

9*STARS*...ENJOY/DISFRUTELA!

Any comments, questions or observations, in English or Español, are most welcome! KissEnglishPasto@Yahoo.com

Family Cooking...

Author: jpschapira from Argentina
7 February 2005

Well, well, it's hard to describe this film. Sometimes you always feel good when you're watching a film. I don't know exactly the reason. I just know that in some occasions you fell not so good because of the events that occur in one film. Here it's about feeling good.

It's very comforting to see Hector Elizondo here. I have always liked him. And I have never thought of his acting qualities, or evaluated him as an actor, I just have always had fun watching him on screen. This movie is no exception. I gotta give him the fact that he actually looks like a cook (chef). He actually seems to enjoy the meals he prepares daily. And also seems his family, people who love him. And there wouldn't be much a film without this love.

Martin's (Elizondo) three daughters are the center of the film, of course, including their dad. Tamara Bello is beautiful. It's the first time I see her in a movie, but there's such charm in her face, and she makes Maribel the kind of girl some teenagers may identify with.

Leticia (Peña) is also some kind of misteryous, but understandable. We get her situation, and maybe know there's no way out. But we are also by her side, when she has the time to improve. She has kept his feelings for too long, as if she was obliged to, and know she's desperate to let them go.

Carmen (Obradors) might be the opposite. She has let her feelings go, but has kept some of them inside also. It is like she knows she must take some decisions, and she takes them, only she may not be so sure, she may just think she is.

The rest of the actors are perfect choices, and make each of the characters they play another part of this charming film.

I'm hungry...

Wonderful Film!

Author: Travis
21 August 2002

I highly recommend "Tortilla Soup" to anyone that is a fan of great films. Hector Elizondo is perfect as the veteran chef who has to accept that his three grown daughters are finally moving on with their lives. The cast runs smoothly throughout the whole movie, and by the time it ends you feel better about life. It is a very up-lifting and feel-good movie, and I think it is perfect to anyone that either needs that or wants that in their life. Enjoy...

Pleasant, but pale remake

Author: Carol Southern from Chicago, Illinois
31 August 2002

"Tortilla Soup" is certainly worth watching, even if you have already seen "Eat Drink Man Woman," but I would have enjoyed it much more if I hadn't seen the original version. I kept making comparisons throughout the whole movie. Ang Lee's characters just seemed more genuine, the food more mouthwatering, & the story more believable. I wonder if I'd feel the same if I had seen "Tortilla Soup" first...

Thoroughly enjoyable film - go rent it!!!

Author: Caroline (litwack@brandeis.edu)
15 July 2002

'Tortilla Soup' was a "scrumptious" delight. The acting was wonderful, especially by the lovable Hector Elizondo. Although the plotline was not unique, it was an endearing, entertaining, well-done film. I believe that anyone who did not like it missed the point. Give yourself a treat - rent it - and enjoy!!! Also, as a bonus, the food in it looks divine

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]