IMDb > The Last Brickmaker in America (2001) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Last Brickmaker in America (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Pretty good TV movie, about a young boy's dealing with family issues.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
10 October 2001

I don't know why my original comment on this film never showed up. So here is my much abbreviated version that I can remember. Even though Sidney Poitier plays the "title" role as the Last Bricklayer, he is really incidental to the story. It is about a young boy who is caught up between his busy mother and demanding father who are separated. In trouble again at school, he is digging a ditch when Poitier comments on the clay, how it wants to be a brick. Intrigued, the boy visits Poitier who has the contract for the bricks to build the new library addition in honor of his deceased wife.

Boy actually moves in with the brickmaker, helps him. A storm washes out the first batch of drying bricks, so they get behind. Son asks mom to help, she says she doesn't have time. Son is disappointed, not so much because Poitier may not meet his contract, but because mom refused a favor her son asks. Eventually she helps, dad helps, gets fired for it, bricks are delivered on time, son, mom, and dad begin a new understanding of what is important, and perhaps a family reconciliation. Good story, well-done, and Poitier is his usual superb self.

An American movie without guns!!

Author: jmero from WA, Australia
6 February 2004

Nice, little story. Loved to see them make bricks. Ok, the story ain't the most rivetting, but it's nicely told without outrageous effects. Or is it that I long back to a time when the world seemed a more pleasant place?

The Last Brickmaker in America

Author: marthafernicola from United States
30 June 2006

I truly enjoyed this movie as it reminded me of my hometown. After reviewing this movie I knew I had to obtain a copy for my students.This movie was filmed in my hometown of Gastonia, NC. My grandmother went to the old Central High (Washington High) in the movie and my 7 grade history teacher and her husband own the yellow house that the brick maker lived in. I want very much to purchase a VHS or DVD of this movie to show to my students. I teach in an alternative school in Georgia and this movie will help me to explain how to improve your self-esteem, get along with your parents and become an active citizen. Please email me if you know where I can get a copy. Thank you ever so much!

Great MOW! Too bad the producers still owe me 400 bucks...

Author: klgretrt
5 October 2001

...a thoughtfully written, performed, and photographed Movie of the Week, which took full advantage of rustic rural and suburban locations in and near Charlotte, NC.

Compared to the usual "grind 'em out" television long-form projects, there is a lot of texture and attention to detail: cast performances, production design, cinematography, and even if the casting and direction of the background players.

- a film very enjoyable to view!

Predictable but worth watching for Poitier fans

Author: Dan Zelman (dan.zelman@royalchemical.com) from Ohio
12 June 2001

This film was supposed to air on CBS on April 15, 2001. For some reason CBS ended up changing the schedule so as far as I know this film as never been shown. I got a promo copy somehow. Sidney Poitier is a 73 year old brickmaker. He has recently lost his wife. He befriends a young troubled boy and teaches him some of life's lessons. The movie is predictable but still worth taking a look at if you are a Sidney Poitier fan.

Is this movie on VHS or DVD?

Author: jwlindsey from United States
16 April 2007

I could not find a customer service or contact us choice on your site??I am a BIG fan of Sidney Poitier and really loved this movie when I saw it on TV in 2001. A wonderful drama with great performances and serious subject matter. I logged on to try to find a company or on line store where I can get a copy of this movie? Have been looking everywhere trying to find a copy to purchase--please let me know if you know if it is on VHS or DVD and where I can get a copy if it is?? Sidney Poitieris always fantastic as he was in this film or if not available please let me know if you know if it will be shown on TV again any time soon and if so, what date, time and network channel?? Thanks so much.

One of the best movies in a long time!

Author: eas52 from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
6 December 2013

This is one of the better movies I have seen in a long time, I have always admired Sidney Poitier as an actor with integrity and heart. This movie brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart. This movie speaks of what made this country great and could again if people care enough to get themselves out of the way and care about others more as this movie speaks so eloquently of. This is a movie to be shared and if history does it right will become a classic for future generations to come. Cody Newton who played Danny Potter the child who was angry and unable to explain why he was angry until he met his friend, Henry Cobb who helped him find how to be a good person with dreams and an outlook toward learning how to become a good man. Mr. Cobb taught so many folks how to get out of their own way and care about someone more than themselves.

Sometimes you really can't see the forest for the trees

Author: (dunsuls@hotmail.com) from Round Rock Texas
20 April 2013

Maybe its corny,maybe its too family values but maybe because the world is going to hell in a hand basket it might just be time to reflect and rediscover values that made this country great at one time and perhaps once again hopefully and that is the value of this film.The story is simples,even dull but if you don't see part of what YOUR life was,or wished it could be or even tries to be today,than,with respect,your lying to yourself. Perhaps your moving to fast and have lost sight of"the forest for the trees"THAT my friends is the simple yet so often missed or just forgotten message of a truly rare family film as relevant today as in the year it was released 2001,and running only 85 minutes.The cast is headed by legendary Sidney Poitier as a 76 year old brickmaker whose wife of 60 years has recently died,and a few other fine character actors along with a relative unknown Cody Newton,as a 13 year old troubled teen, weave a story that won't work for everyone but just might let you see that damned forest that those trees keep getting in the way of if your willing to give it a chance and open those big baby blues of yours.

A great story...a poor movie.

Author: Sharon from United States
23 February 2009

This movie had so much potential, yet all was lost in the production. They had big acting names (Sidney Portier, Piper Laurie), a good story line, beautiful setting, and a great moral. However, the main thought that comes to mind while watching is: why didn't they try to make this better? The dialog was poor, the acting poor, and the story line was disjointed. It left me with more questions than satisfaction. However...

Why is it that good, clean, for-everyone entertainment like this is always pushed aside to produce horrific, violent, foul and sex-driven movies? I would rather watch these poorly produced, poorly-filmed stories, than those that turn my stomach. But it could be so different!

Lame? No. Typical of the genre? Yes.

Author: from United States
16 September 2008

To the posters looking for this on video, "Feature Films for Families" has released it on DVD. To anyone who knows that company's work, it should clue you in on what to expect immediately. It's not Hollywood, but it's quite good for a watch on the couch with the kids.

Sidney Poitier does fine with the role. True 'nuff, it doesn't have, perhaps, the depth of many of his other roles, but for what it is, he does a fine job and it's very enjoyable because of him.

As for the other actors, no stellar performances, but this thing isn't *supposed* to be a blockbuster. This is a "family movie" from a company that specializes in this market, not a big Hollywood production. It's the sort of thing you watch with the entire family and then talk about afterward ... what did you learn about {something}? Does our family have any problems similar to the one in the film? Have you ever felt like running away? etc., etc.

Yes, it's predictable and *of course* it has a "sappy" ending (although, IMHO, it could be a lot worse on that). "Everyone lives happily (ever) after". So what? Are we supposed to wish for a divorce and Poitier to die in the brick kiln? Lol, I'm amazed at the cynicism around here....

Egbert O'Foo