IMDb > Phool Aur Kaante (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Phool Aur Kaante More at IMDbPro »

Ajay's Debut !!

Author: Yellow_Spider from Belgium
2 April 2005

Ajay's Debut !!Nagesh war (Amrish Puri) alias "Don" heads a vaster criminal empire. He has an only son, Ajay (Ajay Devgan), who is completely familiar with his dad and his business. So is Ajay's wife (Madhoo), who would like to put an end to all these criminal activities. When Nageshwar starts showing signs of aging, he decides that it is now time for Ajay to take over from him. Ajay does so, however, a number of Nageshwar's associates are unhappy, embittered, and critical of this choice, and as a result they, under the leadership of Shankar Dhanraj (Raza Murad) kidnap Ajay's son, Gopal, and hold him for ransom. Will Nageshwar negotiate his grandson's release, or will his grandson be another sacrifice of his "empire"? How will Ajay and his wife react to this?Ajay Devgan,Madhoo and Amrish Puri acts very good.Its watch worth.I give 10/10.

Ajay's joyful boyish innocence & high energy exuberance!

Author: vaijayanthi from United States
28 December 2005

Phool Aur Kaante is Ajay's first film and from the first time I saw it what impressed me the most was his joyful boyish innocence and total high energy exuberance here. You can just feel Ajay's confidence and purity. He is obviously so happy to be working with his Dad, Veeru, perhaps fulfilling his father's dreams a bit at long last.

Ajay's love interest is Madhoo, who was also in Mani Ratnam's Roja. The film opens with a college scene and a geeky dork of a professor who is meant to be funny. Fortunately Ajay soon comes riding into the scene in full glory doing complete splits across two motorcycles! I was impressed, as men don't do the splits easily. It takes a lot of time and practice to become that limber. And I would imagine that his father Veeru must have been training Ajay in karate since he was a limber little boy.

There are bundle of upbeat romantic songs sung by Anuradha Paudwal, Udit, and Alka, with good clean college dance routines from Saroj Khan. Ajay is leaping, jumping, and rolling around the foxy Madoo, singing the catchy, "She gives me a heartache, she makes me pine. She's no heavenly angel, she's a girl in my college!" Sweet silly fun stuff!

Like any good BW film, our hero blatantly stalks his girl and wins her. There is a cute bit in the locker room where the freshly smitten Ajay describes his new love to his pals. He tells the boys that she has eyes like Meena Kumari, Madhubala's smile, Sri Devi's body, Jaya Prada's poise, and Rekha's appeal. This 'cocktail' he says, is the one he's going to marry!

Ajay is wearing that same mystery prayer bracelet he always wears, long before he met Kajol, and I am curious who gave it to him – Mom or Dad? Often affectionately nicknamed Romeo in the film, Ajay's classmates idolize and adore him. He is the all around good-guy college hero loved by everyone - everyone except the rich kid thug Rocky, who pushes drugs in school. Ajay confronts Rocky and his gang, and thus sets the stage for Veeru's fight scenes - all featuring his wonderfully agile and energetic, good-to-go son Ajay. So fresh!

There's an imaginative fight in the locker room where Ajay faces the gang alone. He takes 'em on with his super high-kicks, breaks through wooden doors with his bare fists, flies through the air and lands safely on his feet, all to pummel and stomp the bad-guy rats.

You can't convince me that none of this hurts. And even though the action may seem a bit naive compared to Hong Kong or HW, I personally would still rather watch this film than most American television fare. In fact I have heard that Phool Aur Kaante is on Indian TV quite a lot – so you can maybe catch it there.

The drug dealing Rocky becomes a real problem when he tries to set fire to the lovely Madhoo, but Ajay saves the day in a nice scene with plenty of flames and some cool but deadly swordplay – more Veeru.

Amrish Puri plays Ajay's Dad, a role he will repeat over and over in many more of Ajay's movies. Here Puri is the self-made local Mafia Don, a Malik kind of a guy, and he is excellent as the long suffering, selfish and manipulative, both cold and emotional, hardened criminal. But remember Ajay hates criminals and in Phool Aur Kaante he also hates his father.

Ajay is that wild and crazy college guy who climbs in your window at night in the rain for a little romance. There's a nice wet sari number with Ajay & Madhoo dancing in the rain and fountain sprinklers. She's not a bad dancer and Ajay does what he always does, which is what I call 'man' dancing. OK, so he's not Fred Astair – but he's agile and has more than enough testosterone to compensate.

Ajay marries pretty Madhoo and they have a baby. Here the plot thickens as Ajay's little family becomes enmeshed in the webs of his mafia father when their newborn baby is kidnapped. Who would do such a dastardly evil thing and why? Only Ajay's father– who carries an old childhood photo of his son so he can kiss it - can help now. I love my India!

There are some real Kitch moments – like when the crying kidnapped baby is sorta falling off a filthy bed, being totally neglected by an incredibly seedy boozing thug. And Ajay's Mafia Don Dad lives in a bungalow worthy of Las Vegas and wears $3000 English tailored suits. But like every Indian father, he wants his son and Puri is quite believably sympathetic.

Naturally there is a grand action-stunt finale Veeru Devgan style with a flying Ajay, machine guns, hand grenades, and lots of stuff that explodes! Why, oh why, do so many BW flicks start off with a bang and get mired in adding everything but the kitchen sink! Yes, I know – it's masala!

Still all in all, I like this film. It is good clean fun and a real pleasure to watch the very young action man Ajay in his first-start, staring appearance of what will be a long and interesting career. I recommend you see Phool Aur Kaante more than once. Happily it grows on you.

Ajay's debut

Author: silvan-desouza from India
15 December 2009

Ajay Devgan was the dark horse of Bollywood His debut was a low key one and that too pitted against Amitabh's AKAYLA and Anil Kapoor's LAMHE which both flopped and PAK became a hit

The film has a done to death plot but the direction is good and the film manages to keep you engrossed

The film starts off as a routine 1990's college romance which many Hindi films those days started with The first half goes on and on, romance, songs.etc Amrish Puri's entrance gives the film an edge and then the film focuses on the eniemity between father and son which ends in a predictable manner yet the film is well handled There is lot of melodrama and clichés but that is forgiven in Hindi films

Direction by Kuku Kohli is good Music is good

Ajay Devgan lacked the good looks, he had a dull presence yet his eyes were effective and he does a satisfactory job in his debut he is better in the second half Also his stunt over the bike caught everyone by surprise and is still considered popular Madhoo is average Amrish Puri excels in his role, he has played a don many times but here he gets a well written role and he justifies it to the T Raza Murad annoys Satyen Kapuu is adequate Jagdeep and Aruna provide some laughs