IMDb > The Sweetest Thing (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 41: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Utter Tripe.

Author: Troy Putland from East Sussex
29 June 2015

There's nothing sweet about this thing. This movie is derogatory to women. Cameron Diaz is part of a hapless trio of single women who're looking for Mr. Right Now, rather than Mr. Right. They're a bad influence on their viewers. Cameron Diaz and Christina Applegate float their way through a loose. mediocre storyline; a trip to see Diaz's (potential) love of her life, and once and for all grow up. Silly, cumbersome acts are played out, including Diaz getting someone's junk in the eye, Blair ending up with a (particular) piercing stuck between her teeth and the three of them pretending to orgasm in a restaurant, which then turns in to a cabaret act. None of this drives the storyline, but instead furthers their incomprehensible attitude towards life in their 30's. Ridiculous.

Nothing Sweet Here.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
3 June 2015

The Sweetest Thing (2002): Dir: Roger Kumble / Cast: Cameron Diaz, Christina Applegate, Selma Blair, Thomas Jane, Jason Bateman: Comedy about the need to be loved but the title observes it correctly when it is seen as a small thing. Cameron Diaz, Christina Applegate and Selma Blair play best friends who cruise the clubs in search of male stimulation. Lame plot regards a road trip where Diaz hopes to connect with a male she encountered at a club. Gross comedy in a predictable flow of senseless sexual orientation. Diaz and Christina Applegate enter a men's washroom where a peep hole produces a penis. Why it came from the girl's washroom is something director Roger Kumble never figured on. He loses focus pulling from Diaz and Applegate back to Selma Blair for no real purpose. He previously made Cruel Intentions but here the cruelty feels far more intentional. Diaz and Applegate travel road movie formula with no payoff. Blair is caught in a pitifully filmed oral sex scene where police are summoned. Thomas Jane plays the forgettable love interest with the personality of an oven mitt . Jason Bateman plays Jane's womanizing brother and even that fails to add humour to this piece of crap excuse for a comedy. Easily one of the worst films of the year with talent that is far beyond it. It presents women in male oriented humour but it is hardly a sweet thing. Score: 1 / 10

All the world is broken

Author: jessegehrig from United States
23 March 2014

Whom am I more embarrassed for ? Who shall take the blame ? When they made this movie did they know that they were going to end up making THIS ? There's a type of beetle that eats rotting flesh, and when all that's left to eat is gone the beetles crawl away. Every bad joke and bad line in this movie is followed by a bustling swarm of beetles departing from some used up corpse, it is the darkness within the earth. Why cant the Terminator go back in time to stop this movie from being born ? I'm thinking, f*ck that John Connor kid, tell Skynet to stop The Sweetest Thing. I like the fake feminism of the movie, it's like its either written by a dude or the world's saddest woman, you go girl!

Really unattractive movie

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
16 December 2013

This is the movie that really made Cameron Diaz and Christina Applegate really unattractive. And I don't even know why Selma Blair decided to be part of this craptastic flick. It has this message of sometimes you have to jump and take risks for love. But the whole journey is one dumb, immature and unfunny segment after another. The chemistry is just plain weak and absolutely not believable. It's just about how many crude, rude, dumb, and gross stuff a trio of girls can do along the journey. This one is a waste of time and a absolute pass. It just gave me a headache all around.

1.6/10

A sad waste of time.

Author: Dolomede from United Kingdom
26 January 2013

The problem is the first scene - before the opening credits - is amusing, which lures you into the film. It is all watchable - if predictable - as the story develops in the first quarter, but then it becomes completely absurd. It is a collection of tacky, vulgar and anarchic ideas, many of which have been used so many times before in the last 50 years they are worn out. Their solution to this lack of originality was to imbue these scenes with as much verbal and physical sexual shock value as they could muster. It is as if they wrote it as they went along, a tenuous central storyline with a motley collection of disjointed, absurd and - too often - puerile scenes added in. It is not for adults, it is not really funny, it is schoolboy (girl?) humour for 12 year olds merely designed to show what you can get away with under the guise of being comic.

The worst of her career

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
7 May 2002

You know,I really can't stand it when certain critics called her by Cameron De Arse because despite her beauty,but in all fairness Cameron Diaz is an extremely talented actress who thought she would try her hand at comedy again riding on the heels of 1997's "There's Something About Mary".

She can be naive,scheming,angelic, or homicidial maniac or some backstabbing waife and she was even all these.....in that one role the movie "Very Bad Things",and also was psychotic in last year's dark drama "Inside John Malvokich" and also displayed a gangstress in post Civil War America in Martin Scorese's upcoming drama "Gangs of New York".

However,she can do them all from comedies to action and drama thrillers. (I haven't seen her do an erotic flick yet)...until of course she botched off her entire outstanding track record and go do a very distasteful,and absolutely shallow movie called "The Sweetest Thing".

And it shows. Cameron Diaz has just accomplished making all women look like pleasure seeking not to mention superficial clueless AIRHEADS. As for Christina Applegate's character here,it is a throwback to her Kelly Bundy status from Married....With Children who hasn't learned yet,that she is still in ditzy blonde heaven and still shows it. One may demeaningly faunt one's body excessively half the movie if one is desperate unknown actress who badly needs to launch her career. One word: Cameron, HONEY! YOU ALREADY THERE! WHY BLOW IT!

What's worse than Cameron here was actor Thomas Jane(from "Deep Blue Sea"). He is totally horrible as the leading man. Jane who is known for for playing tough guys should stick to what he knows. Even actor Jason Bateman(from TV's Silver Spoons and also a child veteran of several TV shows and movies) who had such a tiny role as the supporting actor had MORE presence,personality and charm one of all of them.

This film is the worst of Cameron Diaz' career.

Aweful film

Author: a5pacific from Macclesfield, UK
14 February 2004

It is such an aweful film with sick, low class sex jokes. I think Diaz has gone past her sell by date, so is Applegate, Selma Blair is worth a few looks. The story line is weak and the film is only 75 minutes. Sad to say it was another 75 minutes badly spent.

Just plain stupid.

Author: Curtis G. from Surf City, USA
4 November 2003

I can't believe a woman wrote this. I would have sworn it was written by a man who thought he was writing a comedy for women. I told my wife at the outset that as soon as there was a synchronized singing/dancing number, I was outta there. I didn't make it that far; I gave it about 20 minutes before I walked out of the room in disgust. Later, from another room, I heard my wife laughing. I'm picking up divorce papers this week.

One of the worst pictures I've seen in recent memory

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
12 April 2002

The Sweetest Thing does, and certainly ardently tries, to borrow from There's Something About Mary and "outrageous" comedies, but it fails miserably at whatever it goes to accomplish since at the pit of this movie is a sappy and tiresome chick flick- a crummy one at that- that tries to pump up the volume for it's intended female audience with more semen and di*k jokes and such. The attempts at comedy don't work here since the timing is offensively off, the pay offs are meager at best and when it comes up with an amusing situation it tap dances off the deep end into the shark tank.

For instance, there is one scene where Selma Blair's character is found by her girlfriends (Diaz and Applegate) along with an entire fleet of onlookers and police and firemen, to have a man's member stuck in her mouth due to a piercing. Ok, it's old but still somewhat cute pun. Then, in order for Blair to relax her vocal chordes the whole ensemble starts singing Aerosmith's I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing so that she can sing too. I never thought I'd say this, but after that supposed gag I had to leave the theater and bang my skull against the wall not only to kill the memory cells that contained that scene, but the Aerosmith song as well.

Even the most die-hard of Diaz fans will be scratching their heads at this one and guys who get dragged through this with their girlfriends (by some ugly twist of fate) should make them sit through Black Hawk Down and Fight Club back to back as compensation; Diaz in Charlie's Angels was more appealing in that. Grade: F

I feel like I've lost a few braincells

Author: Jafar Iqbal from United Kingdom
25 November 2013

Christina has always gone through life looking for Mr Right Now, perfectly happy with her single life and never looking for more than a fun night. But when she finally meets Mr Right, she is forced to re-evaluate her entire philosophy on relationships and the art of wooing, and ends up on a road trip to pursue him.

Well. That was a waste of time.

'The Sweetest Thing' came out a year or so after 'Charlies Angels', which had reinvigorated the idea of actresses in ensemble casts, and was clearly trying to cash in on that fad. As cheesy and girly as 'Charlies Angels' is, it's actually not a bad film and has some genuinely funny moments. 'The Sweetest Thing'? Bloody terrible.

There is genuinely no redeeming feature in this film. The story is boring and so blatantly predictable, the script was uninspired and without any laughs, the cast were wasted, and the fact that three sexy women could not engage me tells you everything you need to know.

Cameron Diaz and Christina Applegate disappointed me the most in the movie. She's a bit of a Marmite actor, but I've always liked Diaz; and Applegate is one of the best comic actors of recent times. But as best friends Christina and Courtney, the two women are rubbish. Christina is meant to be the 'modern woman', independent and self-serving; but instead of making that a character we warm to, Diaz makes her cold and whiny. Applegate is even worse – her portrayal of Courtney made me wonder why I should show any interest in her whatsoever. Selma Blair has barely any importance in the movie, so I don't even need to mention her.

I didn't enjoy watching this movie, so I'm not enjoying writing this review. It won't go on much longer, don't worry. But I'll say this – when you have a cast full of genuinely funny actors (Diaz, Applegate, and an unbelievably awful Jason Bateman), the least you should expect is some humour. Films can be terrible and still provide a few laughs. But 'The Sweetest Thing' has nothing to smile about, let alone laugh. It's just a bad film.

Oh, and spoiler alert – she gets the guy at the end. Who woulda thought? Ugh.