IMDb > The Sweetest Thing (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 41: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Oh Christina.. I should've known

Author: jeeper_white
26 February 2004

I'll watch anything, I don't usually care about an in-depth plot or an outstanding finale, if it's entertaining i'm happy. Unfortunately, The Sweetest Thing, was not ENTERTAINING it was just pointless drivel that went on-and-on trying to make sense of just WHY exactly Diaz would go to the extremes she did to get her man. So what was the bottom-line: 'Never stop looking for Mr. Right'? 'It's better to have loved and lost'? Surely not, she meet her Mr. Right in a club, she didn't love him and he was never hers to loose in the first place. She was 'hurt' because he never told her he was getting married. No because he only meet her the day before, did she want his life story? Perhaps he thought he'd never see her again. You meet alot of people in clubs that you never see again, right.

Humor. Humor? Oh the sex jokes? That's right, sex jokes and it's the girls having a go at them. It's ok for a girl to make sex jokes, same for boys, but these sex jokes were the bad the worse and the ugly. They weren't funny, just childish and degrading to females. Don't get me wrong, I did get some laughs out of it, but it wasn't clever humor, it was more like pity humor. But hey, I'm not saying everything considered comedy has to have you in stitches, it's just not the kind of thing I laugh at.

The characters. Apart from Jason Bateman, I didn't like any of the characters. Diaz and Applegate try to be funny and outrageous but they just come off as being irritating. Selma Blair's character is the one I disliked the most, even though she wasn't in it as much as some of the others. She seemed very fickle about what she wanted her character to be like. And I found it amazing how quickly she got over her boyfriend of a year. In the last 10 minutes of the film Diaz and Blair had a quick personality change. What's that about? Suddenly they're best friends. Where's Diaz? Out getting the man of her dreams so she can join their little entourage. Like the beginning when Diaz and Applegate were both single party girls, and Blair was the outcast with a (now ex) boyfriend who had to sleep with a complete stranger to fit in. But that was about a month before, people change. I'm sick of movies that make men out to be cheating liars and women out to be desperate tarts.

Now, Bateman and Thomas, I really liked the chemistry they had together. They made believable brothers. Bateman wasn't always in your face with his preaching and philosophies. He seemed like the only 'real' person there, whereas the others were all Hollywood-ish.

It's more for gullible teenagers or the closure of a drinking-binge. If you like cheesy films filled with cheap laughs or watch them because they're so idiotic then it's worth a watch. Think 'Dude, Where's my car?' with Female-leads. Or 'Dumb and Dumber' with annoying actors.

Absolute Rubbish

Author: Nick Odgers (nickodgers@aol.com) from Falmouth
16 August 2010

I cannot believe that anyone on this site could have thought this film was any good, one said best film they had ever seen, unbelievable.

One of my film bibles used to be Leonard Maltins review book, but I am not sure if he actually writes the reviews now, he gave it two and a half stars, I expected it to be a BOMB (rubbish).

The film is trying to pretend that women can be as crude, and find the same things funny as men, most women I have known do not fit this category. A song and dance routine about a penis, a scene about a stain on a dress which was so obvious. Terrible.

To everyone on this site who thought this was funny I suggest renting any Coen brothers film, to see how comedies should be made.

Just a horrible movie

Author: inghar from Iceland
5 April 2010

This movie is on my bottom 3 list of the worst movies I have ever seen. I wanted to see the movie when it first came out in 2002 after having seen the trailer. I was 11 years old at the time but after have seen the movie I must have been at least partially brain dead. The three main characters in the movie played by Selma Blair, Cameron Diaz and Christina Applegate are up there with the greatest villains in the history of cinema with Sauron, Voldemort, Darth Wader and most of the Bond villains. And please don't get me started on the music number. It was probably the most disgusting things I have ever seen in a movie. It was supposed to be so hot but it was just awful, ugly and left a bad taste in my mouth.

The script was also just some random sentences from Cosmopolitan magazine telling me how many how many percent of men like women how call them back less than two days after meeting them etcetera (not one of these tips I needed to know and not one of these tips made me a better man or are at all useful). This just got worse and worse as the movie went on and the worst thing was I was stuck on a bus watching this movie so I couldn't look away so as the movie went on I just went closer and closer to the fetal position. The only thing that could save this movie is if the director was trying to do something similar to Lars Von Trier's Antichrist. To round things up I wish it was possible to give a movie less than one star on IMDb but sadly that isn't possible.

You'd have to be a woman or whipped to enjoy this movie.

Author: dlermajr2003 (dlermajr2003@yahoo.com) from El Paso Texas
2 September 2008

I thought this movie would be a little funny. I like Cameron Diaz in "My Best Friend's Wedding" - It wasn't all that, but at least it got some chuckles out of me.

I did not like any part of this movie though. I tried to find something funny or interesting, but I just couldn't. The dialogue was ridiculous and lame. Cameron Diaz and Selma Blair really got on my nerves. Christina Applegate was the only one that had some potential to make me laugh, but even she failed to do that. Watch her in "Anchorman." That was a much better film for her career.

The plot was predictable and lame. Thomas Jane, Jason Bateman, and Parker Posey wasted their acting talents in this film. They should be more embarrassed with "The Sweetest Thing" than George Clooney was with "Batman and Robin." You would think that a film about women feeling each other up and talking dirty would be interesting to a guy like me, but this one was just too stupid. That's what I've come to expect from Cameron Diaz's films ever since she did the first "Charlie's Angels" movie. She's definitely lost her talent.

Hopefully not too many dudes wasted their money on it when it was in theaters. If so, they should ask for a refund. Luckily, I just recently rented it for .99 cents and saw it for the first time. Even so, I still wish I could get my money back.

To any guys out there with girlfriends wanting to rent or buy this movie, don't let them. You're supposed to do anything for the girl you love, but this is just too much.

Truly Bad...But Will Be a Camp Classic in 20 Years

Author: chconnol from New York, N.Y.
24 December 2003

Yep, this movie is a real stinker. For those that like it, I can only imagine what other movies they thought were good. It's not the vulgar situations that make the movie bad. It's how it's made. Poorly shot and the lame setups have no momentum to build up the potential comedic situations. It's lazy filmmaking at it's worst. Probably the most painful scene in the movie is the ludicrous musical number about a guys dick being too big. It goes on for what seems like forever. I was so embarrassed watching it that I actually closed my eyes. I did this a lot during the movie. It's painful to watch three decent actresses trash themselves in a movie like this.

But I will say this. I strongly believe that time will be somewhat kinder to this movie as it seeps into camp classic-land. In 20 years this will be the kind of movie that will be shown to define the times. People will snicker at it because it's so bad.

And what the Hell was Selma Blair thinking? Or her agent? My only guess is that she thought that some comedy would help her career. Big mistake.

This is one of the WORST movie's I have ever seen.

Auxiliary title: Shh!! The Director is sleeping!

Author: Twiddles from Austria
29 August 2003

Two words describe this movie: STU PID - There I sat in front of the TV, remote in hand, leaning forward with incredulous eyes and wondering why, oh why on God's great earth did I waste my money on this insipid trash???

Story description: inane, dumb, lame, frivolous, drivel.

I will never watch another film directed by this guy. Snore city.

I want my money back

Author: lilianelle from South San Francisco, CA
2 August 2002

I saw this movie simply because I heard that Parker Posey was in it. After seeing her edgy and explosive work in The House of Yes, Henry Fool, Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, etc., I was fairly confident that this film would have some humorous and intellectual merit. "How bad could it be?" Some advice: don't ever ask yourself that question unless you are fully prepared for the answer. The script was, at best, pedestrian and woefully misogynistic - but now that I know Nancy Pimental wrote it, I can understand that.

BIT OF A SPOILER COMING UP... I tried desperately to justify the $8.50 I'd spent by coming to the film's defense. "Well, it tries to be a positive voice about women in that it shows that women want to have relationships on their own terms..." So, is that why the women in this film are either a) shown to be stupid sluts when they're single and mature only when they're partnered, b)subjected to frat boy gags like BJ mishaps, glory holes in gas stations, and attempts to urinate while standing, or c)so pathetically bereft of self-esteem that they will flip-flop from being fervently anti-commitment to driving 3 hours to humiliate oneself at a wedding? Please - a woman wrote this?

I want my money back, damn it.

Author: Gino Pagliuca (gino@theworldjournal.com) from Montreal, Quebec
16 May 2002

`The Sweetest Thing' never shows promise, from the first scene to the last, but I somehow hoped throughout the film that things would pick up or turn around. My prayers were never answered and what we have as a final result is a movie that leaves its stars embarrassed and characters with no interesting place to go. Give me my 84minutes back!!!

The film opens with a lame montage of guys that have crossed the path of `too good for any man' Christina (played by Cameron Diaz). Of course it immediately cuts to a shot of Cameron doing something cute and free spirited that shows just how all these men fall for her… She's shaking her fine package up a street in San Francisco. Well they don't waste any time introducing the rest of the characters, for seconds later she runs into her best friend/roommate (played by Christina Applegate, playing this role as though it's make or break time for her career). Their 3rd and final roommate is played by Selma Blair whom you might remember from Roger Kumble's previous effort `Cruel Intentions'.

The plot (or, you guessed it, lack there of) revolves around Cameron Diaz's character, a woman who never gives any man a chance to get to close, that is until one night at a club, her failed attempt to dump a stranger (Thomas Jane) on her younger horny roommate (Selma Blair) leads to a brief (and I mean brief!!) conversation with the man, a perfect set up for him to be charming and charismatic in ways only a scripted scene in a film as bad as this would allow you to believe. They part ways and later in the night bump into each other again… This must be the man of her dreams right!! Anyway, the night ends without either continuing their progress in being together. Cameron spends the night dreaming this might have been the perfect man for her (the dream features the 2 in bed and the man pleasuring her at every whim. He even proclaims men don't enjoy oral sex… funny right??). Her roommates realize that Cameron may be down about having lost him, so they bolt off to the brothers wedding in hope of seeing him again.

This whole brief and sudden road trip they take to go see this guy is unbelievable. Why are they going? Why such a rush since it isn't him that's getting married? Why do they stop for what seems like hours to try on clothes to wear to the wedding since they dirtied their other clothes in an unnecessary bathroom mishap?? Why do they show a shot of Christina Applegate imitating Julia Roberts in `Pretty Woman' 10 times?? Is any of this stuff supposed to be funny or entertaining? In my case I just simply felt embarrassed, for myself and for Cameron Diaz mostly. She's the only reason I am giving this film even ½ a star (and that's solely based on the fact she looks the best she ever has, but it ends there).

Aside from there being no point to this film, it is worth mentioning there is no reason what so ever to feel for this main character. She doesn't really deserve any sympathy, and her realization that she should perhaps be easier on guys isn't one we really care for her to come to. This is one of those stories about people that have it all and still complain, makes me want to roll my eyes just thinking about it. And how about the dialogue?... some of the worst ever written! What are they trying to do here, show women talking dirty and acting independent? I wish they could have really succeeded in doing that, perhaps would have made for an interesting film, but here it all feels a little forced and very fake. The banter between the 3 girls is never quite as shocking as the writer hoped it would be, and for all their efforts all we have is something to mock when describing the movie to friends.

That's about as much as I care to say about this movie. It got terribly annoying and worse as time passed, and still worse by the time it was over. What a god awful ending. You know what I change my mind, this film deserves a BOMB. Should never have been made, but on the bright side, it's definitely a front runner for worst movie of the year.

Bitter Tasting.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
10 September 2004

Cameron Diaz had an alpha and omega year in 2002 as she starred in "Gangs of New York" (easily the best picture of that year) and "The Sweetest Thing" (arguably the worst picture of that campaign). Here she meets a guy (Thomas Jane) one night in passing and then becomes obsessed with him. Thus she decides to have a road trip with idiotic best friend Christina Applegate to track him down, having no idea that he is about to get married. Also along for the ride is the moronic Selma Blair who has all sorts of sexual misadventures. If you like to see women acting stupid and having sex with mascots, then this movie is made specifically for you. For the rest of us we will pass with as much self-dignity as we can muster. "The Sweetest Thing" has no dignity, no story, no heart, no soul, no nothing really. Turkey (0 stars out of 5).

Two hours I wasted....

Author: oft_I_am from Barrie, Ontario
25 July 2004

(May contain spoilers)

This was complete cinematic garbage! I cannot believe what misconstrued idiot came up with this movie. This was a horrible, pointless waste of two hours, that I do not wish on any human. I mean, if there was an Oscar for best use of the word "penis" in a musical number, this one would win. That's right, you heard it here, it was that pitifully bad. And that was one of the better jokes in the movie, just to give you an idea. The acting was bad, it contained a rather sappy and overused plot, so there is absolutely nothing new here. The characters were all easily stereotyped and send a negative message about dating and what to look for in the ideal person to date. All of you reading this, please avoid this movie like the plague.