IMDb > The Sweetest Thing (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 41: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

A sweet comedy

Author: style_grrl from Its the sweetest thing
15 April 2002

I saw this movie on its opening weekend and its a very sweet comedy. I'd recommend this for a girls night out, it knows when to mix the hilarious humour with sweet moments.

Guys have many gross out comedies, well finally their letting girls have one, because really this is how girls are. There are plenty of girls like the ones in this movie in real life. I don't think its as gross as the guy gross out comedies.

I think this film portrays girls in a realistic way and its hilarious, I would definately recommend it if you're into some crude humour. Its a fun movie that you can go and just laugh! It doesn't try to teach its audience anything.

Its really good, I'd recommend it only if this is the kind of comedy that you'd be into. I also liked the bond that these three girl friends have between each other because that's how girls are in real life.

Someone noted that it was kind of sitcomish but you know that's just how girls are and this is how they really act, and the movie portrays that very good.

SWEET! 8 of 10

Author: svwebzine from Cincinnati, Ohio
9 April 2002

The Sweetest Thing (8 of 10) By C.J. Cauley

"The Sweetest Thing" truly is just that. If you want to see a comedy that will make you laugh hysterically for an hour and a half, this is it. I went into this movie not expecting much but "The Sweetest Thing" was an unexpected treat. There were a lot of laugh-out-loud moments. In fact, guys everywhere who are going to get drugged to this movie by their significant others will find themselves pleasantly surprised.

Cameron Diaz stars as Christina Walters, a successful San Franciscan "player" who decides it's time to be serious about love with Peter Donahue, played by Thomas Jane. Her best friend is Courtney Rockliffe, played sweetly by Christina Applegate. It's about time Applegate was given a starring vehicle in a good film. Best known as Kelly Bundy in TV's "Married...With Children," Applegate is so hysterical in "The Sweetest Thing" it will leave you thinking "Kelly Who?"

Another former television star, Jason Bateman, is given a nice role as Peter's brother, Roger. Best remembered as David Hogan from "The Hogan Family" (aka "Valerie's Family"), Bateman, who is the brother of "Family Ties'" Justine Bateman, is excellent as the quirky sidekick. This foursome unfortunately don't get to spend a lot of screen time together but their individual scenes are very funny. Last, but not least, is Selma Blair who plays Christina's roommate, Jane Burns. Jane has man trouble herself, having just been dumped by her boyfriend.

The three girls go out on the town looking for fun but Christina accidentally finds the man of her dreams. Christina and Courtney soon head out on a road trip (Jane has to work) to hunt him down. The slapstick adventure that ensues is quite comical. Not to be left out, Jane has some madcap experiences of her own, back home. The scene that awaits Christina and Courtney when they return is the height of hilarity. Diaz and Applegate make a great pair of friends. They even took a break from the plot to perform an impromptu "movie montage" that kept the audience in stitches.

At times, "The Sweetest Thing" could give some teen movies a run for their money in gross-out humor. It even out does the "hair gel" scene from "There's Something About Mary." It also has it's fair share of clever humor too, via Nancy Pimental's screenplay. Like last year's "Legally Blonde," this film doesn't take itself seriously. The female stars are cute, the male stars are cuddly and all are good at what they do.

The commercials say "If you like 'There's Something About Mary' and 'My Best Friend's Wedding,' go see this movie" but I say "The Sweetest Thing" is better than both of them put together. No Oscars will given to "The Sweetest Thing" this time next year but like the apple pie in "America Pie," it has moments that will stay with you forever. It's a fun date movie that will have you rolling in the isles..go see it!

Cute Girl movie

Author: mvickersla from United States
17 November 2005

I think this is such a cute movie! Yes it's not one that you get inspired by, but it makes you laugh and feel like 30 can be a fun age! It's also cool to see these fine actresses be so raunchy and not so much girl next door for once. I love it and watch it anytime I need a pick me up :-) I can understand why guys might have a problem with this movie due to all the jokes about them and stereotyping of what every man is, but come on it's just a comedy for us girls which we never get! It's always about the guy getting the girl and making all the shots- at least now we get to see what us girls really think and do! SO thank you to the the writers!!

Absolutely Brilliant

Author: Civet from Edmonton, Canada
20 June 2002

I was keeling over in laughter almost the whole time. It's the kind of comedy that completely catches you off guard and yet you can completely relate to it (or at least I could). I gave this movie a 10. It's the type of comedy I love.

This IS a sweet movie, just not what I expected

Author: Olivia S. from Lewisville, Tx
12 April 2002

When watching this movie, I am reminded of American Pie. That's the nature of the gags here, but the truth of it is, that it's true. This is as close as most guys will get to knowing what women are like when they aren't around. Most guys are like "women aren't like that". How little they know. The conversations of women are much more gross and straight forward then men may think. I think this was one of the funniest movies ever, and I have to say that it really put our view into perspective for men. I liked that it had little details, like how the heels of high heels get stuck in the grass.

I LOVED that Christina Applegate was a brunette in this film. It gave her character a credibility that she hasn't had in previous films.

All in all: Men will most likely be forced to see this movie with that special someone and will have such a good time that they forget that they aren't "supposed" to. Women, will a)be grossed out(men too) and/or b)LOVE IT...probably both.

NOT A MOVIE FOR KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely a date movie.

Merry Movie going!

p.s. go to the bathroom before this movie, you will laugh REALLY hard.

The chemistry in this movie is great

Author: foundsomefun from United States
12 March 2006

Sometimes when you least expect it you find some of the best things in life. Okay... maybe a movie can't compare to some of the best things in life but this movie is one of the best movies that I have seen in a while.

It has some of the goofiest and funniest scenes. The timing of the humor is so well done. After each comical event I thought that must be the highlight of the movie but it just keeps getting funnier.

The chemistry between Christina Applegate and Cameron Diaz is rich. You would really think they are friends out having a good time together.

This is absolutely a laugh out loud movie. Reminded me of the I Love Lucy scenes when they were working in the chocolate factory.

Good light comedy from the women's side

Author: JEF CAMERON from VENTURA, CA
29 January 2006

If you like easy comedy and very bawdy humor, I recommend The Sweetest Thing. It's actually not that far off from The Wedding Crashers except, like I mentioned, it's definitely the ladies' point of view! It's nice to see more of the women's side of things; not unlike SATC, with similar spirit to "Sex..." as well.

I like that every San Fran stereotype (and real-type) is represented in the film, and the city herself is pretty nicely shown off (which I love - my fave city). Like "Sex...", the city is an oblique character in The Sweetest Thing. It definitely speaks to everyone's ease with being sexual and bawdy and campy at the drop of a hat (helpful words towards deciding if it'll be your cup-of-tea). Basically, if that stick's still up you're u-no-what from u-no-when, this one's not for you!

BTW, I highly recommend the "Unrated" version over the theatrical; nothing worse than having a character say or do something where the two-second money shot or the actual swear-word, etc. they're working up to is cut out at the last moment - HATE that. This way, if they're talking about penis, they're going to SAY penis (and a few other descriptives).

Definitely, if you've been to San Francisco and loved your time there, you'll get a kick out of The Sweetest Thing. Just be up for a flick that doesn't waste more than 30 seconds taking itself seriously, and you'll especially enjoy the extra musical number thrown in, known lovingly as "The Penis Song"! (this too is a helpful determinate in deciding to see it). Nuf said. Peace.

One of the funniest movies EVER

Author: tokyokillerpop from New Zealand
18 December 2005

This movie is one of my favorites every single scene is hilarious! people saying that the penis song made them uncomfortable? GET OVER IT! it's a comedy about women who like to play games in their relationships. Every single person who has seen the movie has said its hysterical and they loved the penis song. There are so many memorable moments in this movie and so many good funny lines.

I guess if you don't have a sense of humor, you should stay away from this movie and also if your offended by sex, penises, and songs involving penises. Otherwise this is a GREAT movie that will make you laugh every time!

Sweet, hilarious, and heartwarming romantic comedy which has some gross moments

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
17 November 2005

In my opinion, THE SWEETEST THING is a sweet, hilarious, and heartwarming romantic comedy which has some gross moments. If you ask me, Christina (Cameron Diaz - CHARLIE'S ANGELS, THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY) and Peter (Thomas Jane - DEEP BLUE SEA) made the perfect match. Also, I thought that the way they met was very romantic. I especially loved her pals, Courtney (Christina Applegate - "MARRIED WITH CHILDREN") and Jane (Selma Blair - LEGALLY BLONDE, CRUEL INTENTIONS). This was because they were very sophisticated and funny. To me, the clothing they wore was perfectly designed. As a matter of fact, everyone's costumes were perfectly designed. In addition, the casting was great, and the direction by Roger Kumble was excellent! Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say, "Kudos for Cameron Diaz, Christina Applegate, and Selma Blair!" Now, in conclusion, I highly recommend this sweet, hilarious, and heartwarming romantic comedy which has some gross moments to all you Cameron Diaz or Christina Applegate fans who have not seen it. When you see this movie, prepare to laugh and have a good time.

What's wrong with you people this was funnier than most of what I've seen in ten years!

Author: david3174 from United States
23 February 2005

This is the first time I've commented on a movie, but I had to do it. I don't get it. I don't know who or what is voting or commenting on these movies. How can you not think this movie was funny? Some things didn't work real well but most of them did and I got some great laughs out of this movie. I've given serious thought to the possibility that my attraction to Diaz or Applegate is skewing my perception but no. This was a funny movie unless you're offended by its sexual overtones. OK, there's sexual undertones and middle tones as well but I wasn't offended by them. I laughed through most of the movie and that hasn't happened in a long time. I hate to think of the people that won't see this because of you people that gave it a bad review. You're wrong.