IMDb > The Sweetest Thing (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 40:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

maybe its just me

Author: lauren_peterson06 from Canada
31 January 2006

it could be just me but i really love this movie. i don't know one girl who doesn't have it in their DVD collection and i'm proud to be one of them....the movie is funny, stupid, and all around a good time. so its not gonna win any awards or looked upon as "superior" but come on, don't you remember what its like to watch a movie just for the sake of entertainment? i have a section of my movie collection devoted to those chick flicks that while embarrassing to have are my guilty pleasures and i can't feel bad for that. what more do you want out of a stupid/funny movie? please don't pull some critical analysis on this movie people cause it is what it is. take it for face value and relax...

Great mindless entertainment

Author: mjharrison
23 March 2004

I really enjoyed this movie, as did my wife. We loved the comedy, the acting, and the plot. Granted, it's not oscar material. But it is a feel good movie with some great scenes.

It's about three girls and their fear to commit to a man because they'll get heartbroken. They learn together and cry together, but most importantly, they laugh together. The whole movie is one long string of comedy, and the musical number will be in my top ten of all time. You'll know it when you see it.

Check this movie out for a fun night with your wife. It's not for young viewers, however. Not a family movie. It's meant more for the dirty-minded, if you will. :)

Great movie with unique female characters

Author: roxydior from United States
16 December 2005

How is this not hilarious? There are always movies that seem to make it big, like Wedding Crashers, Meet the Parents, and American Pie 1,2, and 3, Van Wilder, when the main characters are stereotypical male characters, but when it is women, expectations change and so do the double standards, which is disappointing in this day in age. The women in this movie are way funnier and do more interesting activities and funnies than the same old good old boys routine stuff. Some very unpredictable predicaments make this laugh out loud! I bought this movie in 2003 and have watched it with all my circles of friends and everyone from 19 to 64 have laughed out loud during this movie, which other movies are lucky if it barely happens once.

I love the unrated version, the song and dance, and her sexy dream with Peter and when he "had all the calories taken out for you."

adult sex comedy

Author: jimakros
19 February 2003

This movie is very funny.I laughed out loud a lot.A lot of people here criticize it as if it was supposed to be some serious movie.Its a silly and sexy comedy with a lot of adult language.If you are offended by sex jokes its not the movie for you.I think Diaz and Applegate were great in it and its soooo refreshing to see actresses not being afraid to make fools of themselves on screen.

The bathroom scene was worth rental price

Author: tenn-noodlehead from Sparta, TN
11 September 2002

Okay, I saw this on dvd right after seeing Fear Dot Com at the theater so maybe that colors my perspective, but I liked this movie. It was funny and the cast worked well together. I do realize that the movie was weak in places, and sometimes seems to ramble on, but overall I think it gets laughs in the right places and seems to have fun and never really stumbles. Christina Applegate using the urinal in a men's room was one of my top movie moments of this year. While not a ten by any means it is at least worth a 7 out of ten.

A sweet movie.

Author: SnowYs from Northern California
20 April 2002

This is the best film I have seen in a long time. Is is completely hilarious. I loved this film.

Cameron Diaz (Christina) and Christina Applegate (Courtney) seemed like they were friends since they were 2 years old. They definatly had charisma. They were completely hilarious together.

I recommend this movie to anyone looking for a good laugh and good time.

I set design was great. Very colourful.

I loved the trendy outfits all 3 ladies wore. A fashionable Charlies Angeles.

10 out of 10 for comedy easily. Go, go now....

Winning Performances by Diaz, Applegate

Author: jhclues from Salem, Oregon
15 April 2002

A film that features a `Movie Montage' and divulges (finally!) why women really go to the restroom together, this is a fun and funny romp, a bit crude around the edges, perhaps, but for the most part, `The Sweetest Thing,' directed by Roger Kumble, is harmless, pleasant entertainment that will make you laugh out loud and feel good for the rest of the day. And that's not such a bad deal, in my book.

Christina (Cameron Diaz), Courtney (Christina Applegate) and Jane (Selma Blair) are close friends, single and young, who have for some time been living the high life in San Francisco, each of whom seems committed to avoiding commitment in any relationship (except for Jane, who's been with the same guy for nearly a year now). Christina's motto is, Don't look for `Mr. Right,' look for `Mr. Right Now!' After all, girls just wanna have fun. But the men in their lives do not necessarily want to play the same game, which Jane finds out the hard way when her boyfriend dumps her suddenly. And though they don't realize it at first, Jane's situation is about to become the catalyst for all of them to do some reevaluating as to where all the fun, freedom and frolicking is taking them in their lives. They're all closing in on thirty (Christina is twenty-eight, the others about the same), and somehow, the `love ‘em and leave ‘em' thing doesn't seem to be all that fun anymore. And wouldn't you know it, Christina has just met a guy named Peter (Thomas Jane) at a nightclub, but doesn't realize how much she is attracted to him until after she lets him slip away. And the next day she just can't quit thinking about him. Suddenly, the shoe is on the other foot, and Christina discovers that it's just not such a good fit...

Bolstered by the engaging performances of his leading ladies, as well as a terrific supporting cast, Kumble has crafted and delivered a comedy that provides plenty of laughs and a good time for all. Written by Nancy M. Pimental (a staff writer for TV's `South Park'), it's romantic without being sappy, and raunchier than what you usually get when the story is presented from the female perspective. Even so, it barely skirts Farrelly Brothers territory, comparatively, except for one scene-- involving a `piercing'-- that may be a bit too much for some tastes; but even that scene is carefully structured and presented in such a way that the filmmakers were clearly going for just plain funny, rather than anything gross or offensive. And-- subjectively, at any rate-- they succeeded. The story reflects a certain moral ambiguity consistent with today's society (similar in that regard to such TV shows as `Friends'), but this film is not meant to be taken too seriously or pondered too deeply; it's a film that was made to make you laugh. And it does.

Cameron Diaz is a wonderful actor who can do drama with the best of them (As Julie in `Vanilla Sky,' or Carol in `Things You Can Tell Just by Looking at Her,' for example), but she definitely has a natural affinity for comedy (Kim, in `My Best Friend's Wedding,'-- in which she steals the show from Julia Roberts-- or Mary, in `There's Something About Mary'). She's a gifted, charismatic beauty with a grounded, down-to-earth sense of who she is and what she can do, and apparently has no problem with putting ego and vanity aside in deference to the demands of her craft. And it's an attitude that's enabled her to create a lasting impression and some truly memorable characters in film after film, as she does here with her Christina (which is one of the main reasons this film is so palatable). She has an alluring screen presence that serves her well (as it does her films), and she just keeps getting better and better with every project.

Another reason this film works so well is because of Christina Applegate, who gives a winning performance as Courtney. Pairing her with Diaz was inspired casting; they play beautifully off of one another, and it makes their scenes together a delight to watch. Some of the things they do is just flat out funny-- like their `Movie Montage,' which is absolutely hilarious. Like Diaz, Applegate has a natural charm that comes through well on the big screen, and this film, hopefully, should prove to be the catalyst that will finally take her career in that direction and enable her to at last shed her `Kelly Bundy' persona, once and for all.

As Jane, Selma Blair also makes a good impression, even though-- due to the storyline-- she is somewhat overshadowed by her co-stars. Her part may be smaller, but she has her moments, and manages to hold her own during her scenes with Diaz and Applegate.

Turning in notable performances, as well, are Thomas Jane, as the guy who may or may not be `the one' in Christina's life; indie queen Parker Posey, who brings her trademark quirkiness to the role of Judy, the beautiful bride; and Jason Bateman, who's become an outstanding character actor (he's come a long way since `Silver Spoons'), as Roger, Peter's brother.

Rounding out the supporting cast are Damon Williams (Wedding Guest), Georgia Engel (Vera), Johnathon Schaech (Leather Coat Guy), Eddie McClintock (Michael), Don Winston (Eric), Manny Rodriguez (Paramedic) and Andrea Sabesin (Sheila). A right-on comedy that is going to appeal to a wide audience, not only because of the performances, but because it's clever, agreeable and accessible, `The Sweetest Thing' is exactly what it is supposed to be: Funny. Still, be forewarned-- there are a couple of scenes that will be hard for those with certain sensibilities to embrace, and accordingly, it has an `R' rating. But if you can go with the flow, and think Chaucer, Rabelais and Balzac, this is one you're going to enjoy. It's the magic of the movies. 8/10.

Funny modern chick humor...

Author: Jayde Smith from Bay Area, CA
9 October 2005

Okay, the important thing to note here is that this type of movie (silly, goofy) is not intended to create a new world order. If you are seeking a film with deep social meaning, or an underlying message of hope and inspiration, pick something else to watch.

It is not a film for everyone and hey by now you should know what type of flicks you enjoy... if its not your style don't watch it!

It's a story of ultra modern, aggressive, women who are warriors of the singles scene. This film is really more suited to women and will likely irritate a lot of men because the characters are women that act like men when it comes to relationships and sex. Yeah, its the whole double standard thing in all its glory.

Some of the scenes are really stupid, and I laughed out loud, because hey I like stupid once in awhile.

Bottom line if you have been there and have done the singles thing, and especially if you have ever been, or currently are, a "playa" in the game then you will enjoy the intended absurdity of this film.

If nothing I have referred to sounds familiar to you don't bother to watch this flick... I can guarantee that you wont get it and wont enjoy it.

Best, JS

great film,great laugh,great stars,great time.

Author: milky_22 from United Kingdom
21 January 2006

Although this film has only had the occasional thumbs up, i am happy to say that this is one of the funniest films in my DVD collection. it truly is a perfect film to watch with the girls on a night in. with lovable characters and hilarious situations that Christina(Diaz)and Courtney(Applegate) have to go through to find Mr.right. i just love both Diaz and Applegates performances in the movie which really gives the feeling that they have been the best of friends since they were kids which really helps you to relate to their relationship. and then there's the brilliant performances from Thomas Jane and Jason Bateman who really show an amazingly convincing 'brotherly love' between the two. with great jokes,beautiful stars,romance, comedy, and not forgetting 'the penis song' this truly is a great movie. A definite two thumbs up.

An Unsuspected Gem!

Author: gnxfan from Princeton, NJ
18 July 2003

The Sweetest Thing was something I would not have rented - it looked more like a 'chick flick' than a true comedy. Luckily it was on HBO one night when nothing else was on and I tuned in.

So glad I did! It is absolutely hilarious. Sort of a more adult version of Charlie's Angels. Loud. In your face. Colorful. Sorta like an old Vaudeville show. Spicey and racey - the 3 girls are excellent dead panning while dropping sexual innuendo and cursing like truckers.

I am having a tough time comparing it because it is like a bunch of films rolled into one. The one major difference is that the major players are women. Think Animal House, Road Trip, American Pie, Swingers, History of the World Part I, Something about Mary, AND even Monty Python! The penis song is a classic. And the fact that its done full scale muscial like (think Grease) yet the topic is about the size of a man's member - you've never seen anything like this before!

You'll be telling your buds about the Dry Cleaner scene. Think classic 'young male purchasing condoms in family pharmacy mayhem' and maybe you'll have an idea what's to come - but they pushed the envelope to the edge. (There are 2 versions, make sure you get the unrated one).

Daring Cameron Diaz has really set herself apart from the rest of hollywood's boring actresses.

Be ready for a goofy, raucous, and fun film - and you won't be disappointed.

Page 1 of 40:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]