IMDb > Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders (2000) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders

Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders (V) More at IMDbPro »

Good Scooby fun with some new features...

Author: Glyde Stick from Kansas City, MO
19 October 2000

Scooby and the gang stumble into another mystery involving aliens, government scientists, a suspicious coffee shop cook, a waitress with a crush on Freddy, a cranky garage mechanic, a crazy old man convinced he was abducted by aliens, a nature photographer and her dog.

While this episode follows the same basic formula as the last two Scooby films ("SD on Zombie Island" and "SD & The Witch's Ghost"), there is a new element added: Shaggy and Scooby fall in love. They meet a nature photographer (Crystal) and her dog (Amber) in the desert fall head-over-heels. There is a really fun song Shaggy sings while fantasizing about his and Scooby's lives with Crystal and Amber which is a whole side of Shaggy never seen before.

This film is much more light-hearted that its two predecessors and the villains aren't nearly as wicked as Simone & Lena (Zombie Island) or Ben Ravencroft (Witch's Ghost). Freddy pops off some genuinely funny sarcastic remarks throughout the movie and there are a couple of good pokes at the original TV series ("meddling kids", paint-job on the van, etc.)

Sadly, this will be the last film that features Mary Kay Bergman as the voice of Daphne. She died last November and the ending credit of the film dedicates the film "In Loving Memory of Mary Kay Bergman". She did an admirable job as Daphne and the makers of these films will be hard-pressed to find a worthy replacement.

A must-see for any respectable Scooby fan!

Classic Scooby-Doo

Author: Christopher Smith
14 October 2001

After seeing SCOOBY-DOO AND THE CYBER CHASE, I rent to the video store to rent some more SCOOBY-DOO movies. This was one of them. I was expecting this to be like the SCOOBY-DOO movies Warner Brothers have benn putting out the past couple of years, but this movie seemed more like an episode of the SCOOBY-DOO television show than the other SCOOBY-DOO movies have. I like the other SCOOBY-D00 movies although they don't really seem to capture the spirit of the classic television show. However, this one had the spirit of the show and that's what I like about it. Another thing I like about it is that it doesn't use computer animation like so many animated film today. It uses hand-drawn animation that looks just like the kind on the television show. I loved the premise since I am a fan of movies involving aliens and the music was the best I've heard in an animated film in a long time. Recommended to all Scooby fans and anyone who wants to see a great animated flick.

Another great Scooby Doo

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
21 January 2001

The mystery may be a little weaker than in previous Scooby movies but this is still well worth your time and showcases the huge potential in the revamped Scooby franchise.

The Mystery Inc. gang break down in the desert (déjà vu?) and have to stay the night in a nearby town where the locals rant about aliens kidnapping cattle. So obviously they are up for investigation.

I still don't like those stupid sound effects that are STILL (!!!!!!) used when Scooby or Shaggy BEGIN to run away. You know what I'm talking about. It sounds like someone rattling a quarter around in a tin can. It's pretty lame, considering all the thought and effort that has went into updating the franchise, that these old-fashioned and cruddy sound effects are being used in this day and age.

But that aside there is a lot of fun to be had as Shaggy falls in love (his song is way cool), is kidnapped by the aliens along with Scooby and the gang suspecting a rather unfriendly mechanic.

Scooby Doo is going places (even further if they do away with those sound effects) and next time the writers should focus more on plot and mystery as this one was wrapped up in a disappointingly short 74 minutes. The movies that followed progressively got weaker and weaker.

Great

Author: kyle-mcdonald from Canada
18 August 2009

I have to say I have always loved Scooby Doo and I will always love Scooby Doo and if you also love Scooby Doo you will not be disappointed with this movie. Let me get started by saying that the storyline the movie follows is very cool and interesting, I found that it was very well written and came out good on screen. The animation in this movie is very well done all of the characters are very well drawn and look good. The voice over actors are very good such as Scott Innes as Scooby Doo and Shaggy, Mary Kay Bergman as Daphne, Frank Welker as Fred, B.J. Ward as Velma, and they even have Mark Hamil as Steve. The voice over actors do a great job with there voices and sound great. So make sure you rent or buy Scooby doo and the Alien Invaders.

Overall Score: ********* out of **********

****1/2 out of *****

Some may consider this a spoiler so that is why I saved it for last. I have to say how I liked the way they used both real and fake aliens in this movie, The main villains were people in masks and if you watch the movie you will see how they used real aliens.

Fun Film for Adults and Kids

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
3 October 2012

Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders (2000)

*** (out of 4)

Fast and fun feature has Scooby, Shaggy and the gang breaking down in the desert so they walk to the nearest town where they hear about strange lights and cattle missing. Soon the gang is going up against some alien invaders and this is where the mystery begins. SCOOBY-DOO AND THE ALIEN INVADERS is certainly an entertaining little film that offers up a pretty good mystery, a nice story and certainly some very funny moments throughout. I think this one benefits from a short (71-minutes) running time and the fact that it really doesn't have any boring moments or down time. I think the best thing about the film are the actual aliens. I thought the animation throughout the entire thing was extremely good but the look of the aliens was quite good and it was a joy whenever they were in action. Another major plus is that the mystery itself is good. This here certainly isn't going to win any Scooby Snacks for greatness but I found it easy to get caught up in solving the mystery. The vocal work by all was good as usual and this here even threw in some romance with Shaggy and Scooby. The film's best critic was my three-year-old who was constantly having laughing fits throughout the picture. He was obviously having a blast with it. He loves everything Scooby but I've never seen him react so positively to a film.

Extremely entertaining!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
24 April 2009

I loved this movie, when it came out, and despite one or two minor flaws, it is like a trip down Memory Lane. The animation is faultless, and i loved the music in the opening credits, with the planets, totally relevant to the title of the film. The voice talents, as is usually the case with the Scooby movies, save a couple of exceptions are excellent, a notable standout being Mark Hamill as Steve. Jeff Bennett was also really entertaining as Lester, and I loved the constant fighting over the Scooby snacks. The plot, overall was good, not the best, but those aliens to a young child are pretty scary. My only complaints are the sweet but rather soppy love song in the diner, and although I liked the romance between Shaggy and Crystal, it got a little distracting from the plot. All in all, I really liked it, and I hope it has a decent rating like Witch's Ghost and Goblin King. 8/10 Bethany Cox

Scooby-Doo it again

Author: lordzedd-3 from United States
7 July 2007

I liked Scooby-Doo and the Alien invaders. A whole new mystery in the lines of ZOMBIE ISLAND and WITCH'S GHOST. But Cassey Cassum's presence lacking still keeps this from being a perfect 10. But other cast members do a great job. The aliens are cool, ugly but cool. The clues works and the excitement never dampers. If you love Scooby-Doo and the other Scooby Movies, then you must add this to your collection. The animation is perfect and all the classic characters are there. Now if you aren't a Scooby-Fan, then this isn't the movie for you. But if you never saw anything Scooby related, then this is a good place to start. 9 STARS.

For Scooby Fans only!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
10 April 2006

An avid fan of Scooby Doo that I am, this movie is the one! Despite the changes, Scott Innes doing Casey Kasem's role as Shaggy this movie is fantastic. He and Scooby meet the woman and dog of their dreams. The team investigate a mysterious sighting where the locals are not speaking. As for Shaggy and Scooby, I liked the video they made called "Groovy", I could agree with them more. The duo were worth the save when then dirty feds try to do them harm. And I think when Shaggy spiffies up, everyone should call him by his real name: Norville. I was very surprised when the the duo were alien agents, they were stuck in the fashion time warp which Shaggy lived in. And it was a heart wrencher when they left. But I wondered who was affected more, Shaggy and Scooby? or Fred? That part was sad, but it was even sadder that Mary Kay Bergen had passed on. That to me was a bigger heart wrencher. Despite of it all, it was a very good movie. Don't feel bad guys, the whole thing will indeed make your day. Enjoy it with all your Scooby Doo cartoon classics. A REAL KEEPER. SCOOBY-DOOBY DOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Rating 4 out of 5 stars.

Amusing Scooby cartoon

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
15 October 2003

On a trip across the desert, the gang encounter some sort of craft and, panicking, crash the van. As they wait for help Scooby and Shaggy claim to have seen aliens. Stuck in the town waiting for repairs to be done they investigate an old man's claims of abductions. Meanwhile Shaggy and Scooby fall in love with a local hippy girl and her dog and follow her to investigate a fenced off government area of the desert and the bank of satellite dishes.

One of a series of new Scooby Doo films, this doesn't distinguish itself in any particular way but does continue to give us what the others did – a more aware version of the old cartoon without going the whole hog and filling it with knowing adult gags. The plot (as with most of the new cartoons) involve real beasts rather than just relying on comedy monsters – these aliens are a little unsettling at times, but the comedy is still good for kids.

Scooby doing impressions is a good one, but there are also some self-aware gags that work well for those who grew up watching the old cartoon series – the best bit being where the line `and we would have got away with it etc' is cut short by an impatient policeman as the film moves on! Some of the musical numbers are a little weak but just about contain enough funny lines to cover for the poor music. Shaggy's love subplot is not as strong as it could have been but is still an amusing side of the film.

Overall this is probably not for adults but can be watched by them as long as they are fans of the series. The gentle comedy is good and the plot is farfetched but well put together (although I had major reservations at the end). If you're planning to watch it then I imagine you already know you're in the mood for that type of humour and, as long as you are, this is quite an enjoyable little movie.

It's Great!!! But it's just not Scooby

Author: dabam69 from Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
23 October 2000

I could not have been more pleased with the new Scooby Doo film and yet so disappointed at the same time. The film's producer Davis Doi made a wonderful decision to stick with traditional Scooby Doo plot lines and character set up. This was a big plus in the films favour. I however found it difficult to accept the spiced up 90's graphics and the radical voice changes. Don't get me wrong, the film is still spectacular, but it must be watched with an open mind. Watch for a classic seen when Scooby imitates a vicious rattlesnake.