IMDb > Interview (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Interview More at IMDbPro »

A love story that keeps you a little off balance

Author: freakus from San Francisco, CA
20 February 2001

It's an interesting little love story but the technique is what I liked best. The jumps in time and sequence keeps it a little off balance, you hear the same dialogue come up four or five times in the film leaving you a little confused as to when things are actually happening. Some may find this a little off-putting but I found it an interesting puzzle and I think the central story was clear enough.

More style than substance

Author: j_eyon-2 from Seattle WA USA
19 January 2010

I cringed at times. "Oh, no. More interviews of couples that tell us what Real Love is like?" But then came the plot detour to uncover the secrets behind one melancholy interview subject.

It was the gentle revelations of her history that impressed me. And kept me interested.

I found the framing story of the filmmakers putting together the interviews and the interviews themselves boring -- altho, one resolves in an interesting way. And it kept most of the actors from adding anything but a modicum of depth to their characters. Only the lovely Shim Eun Ha as the secretive woman shines (in what is sadly her last film to date -- she was only 27 years old when it was released).

experimental but excellent

Author: skrwl from Kwangju, South Korea
9 October 2000

Though this is often labeled an "experimental" film, it has a lot of soul and a thoughtful eye for beautiful detail in the ordinary. Director Daniel H. Byun examines the complex processes of interviewing people, filmmaking, and falling in love with his skillful blend of real-life interviews with average Koreans and a well-structured fictional plot. A few scenes may be extraneous, and the acting gets a little heavy-handed at times, but overall this film succeeds in creating a very compelling blur of reality and fiction.

A Different approach

Author: anil-kumar03 from United States
18 April 2006

I saw this movie and in the first few minutes, I got that this is not another run-of-the-mill movie. It will be different and I was proved correct.

It had interviews , as the name of the movie suggested , and the interviews were regarding the love life of some random individuals, some interviews were quite odd and they didn't add taste to the movie, but the movie was circled around the two person, the director and the assistant in beauty-parlor. The hero was not a macho man style person, but a normal simple person with a knack of understand people better, he could read their emotions well and used them professionally as well as personally. The female lead is very pretty and had done a fantastic acting.

The scene where the guy discovers that the gal's boy friend had died, it was very strong scene. The film keep you glued for the story as well as for the fact that I didn't know Korean so had to keep reading sub-titles :).

All in all, I felt happy watching this movie.