IMDb > The Bunker (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Creepy

Author: pumaye from Firenze, Italy
6 January 2003

A group of German soldiers find refuge into an isolated bunker during the final months of WWII. They are escaping the advancing US army, and they are sharing a terrible secret (that will be revealed to the spectators only in the final minutes of the movie). Inside the bunker and in the tunnels below it, they will find their worst fears and nightmares materializing, the ghosts of war coming to get them. Without any special effects, director Rob Green manages to make a scary movie, played almost totally on the inner fears of humans caught in something bigger than any of us, into the darkness of the human minds, capable to create such a war. So, if you are an horror fan, waiting for slimy creatures or tentacled nightmares to come out of the cave, beware of this movie. But if you are a real horror movie fan, searching for the atmosphere that a good horror movie can manage without the use of any particular effect, you are for a big surprise in this little, misguided gem of an independent movie. Two thumbs up!!

intriguing, flawed, but still powerful

Author: dispet from Melbourne, Australia
25 August 2003

yes. part of me desperately wanted a monster to come flying out of the woodwork, all teeth and claws and shredding horror. but in the end, what i got was an intriguing psychological horror film about the madness of humanity and the splits that occur both in social groups and in the mental structure of individuals. the first 65 minutes are a fairly hard slug, i didnt think it would make it at first. there was just too much build up for them ever to be able to actually pull it off. but they did, and how did they do it? understatment, simplicity. some people here have stated they were confused. yes it is somewhat confusing, there are some plots points that are a little fuzzy which dont help, but for the most part, the confusion comes from the very fact that the characters themselves are confused. the audidence isnt allowed to sit comfortably on the sidelines and get away without thinking about what is going on. there is an awful lot left unsaid in the film which is implied. and in the end it all boils down into a destruction of the most horrifying and realistic type. most people wont care for it. most people wont get it. but for those who do, they will remember this film, for managing to get under their skins and do something original with a worn out plot.

Believe me I really WANTED to like it, but...

Author: Infofreak from Perth, Australia
17 August 2003

I'd heard very good things about 'The Bunker', and the idea of combining war and horror is potentially very rich, so I was really looking forward to watching it. I kept an open mind as it began, but after about 25 minutes in this movie started to fall apart, and by the three quarter mark I was yawning... I didn't mind that the cast playing German soldiers all spoke in British accents, that wasn't a problem, but the characters were so sketchy I had difficulty telling them apart. Also if any kind of who's-gonna-die-next? story is to succeed you must CARE about the fate of the characters, and 'The Bunker' never managed to do that. I couldn't care less what happened to any of them. BIG PROBLEM. On top of that I didn't think there was any real suspense generated and the climax was a let down. Many people who seem to know their stuff love 'The Bunker', but in all honesty I can't agree. A very disappointing movie.

Decent Movie, Interesting Concept

Author: greg-517 from Troy, AL
29 June 2004

This movie is one I'd recommend to anyone. Even though the character development is slow, the acting is wonderful. It is so seldom to see a movie which focusses on the "other side" such as Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan. We are so used to looking at them as the enemy, its somewhat refreshing to see the enemy footsoldier's P.O.V. Looking toward U.S. soldiers as the horrific enemy, showing how their troops feared American troops is interesting.

Granted this movie could have been shot better, I am satisfied with its quality. This is a British Independent Film, so I was not expecting brilliant acting or amazing special effects. I was however, surprised with the outcome.

While the movie fails to produce a real "scare factor" quality, it does provide an adequate thriller/mystery feel, and I enjoyed it.

Frustrating and I'm paging John Carpenter.

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
19 May 2009

We are on the German/Belgian border in 1944 and a group of German soldiers are holed up in a bunker trying to survive. But just as they find a tunnel system underneath the bunker, and the enemies outside are closing in, they suspect that something very sinister is down there with them......

One of the most frustrating British films I have watched in a very long time. You see there is a real great movie at its core, one that is desperately trying to get out, but instead of a top notch eerie thriller we get something that looks like a chopped together homage to John Carpenter. Definite shades of Carpenter's chiller, The Fog, and Russell Currie's great and creepy score sounding suspiciously like a reworking of Morricone's scoring for The Thing. The production is not helped by using an array of non German actors for this German soldier based picture. Much as i like Jason Flemying and Christopher Fairbank {my reasons for watching this film}, it's a bit of a stretch to accept them as German soldiers.

With a better director than Rob Green at the helm, Clive Dawson's story could have been fully realised as a serious and dramatic horror film. Instead the end product comes off as something that was too big a task to handle, and sadly the nicely tuned atmosphere is lost amongst the insipid and unimaginative cop out that the film invariably is. 3/10

A psychological thriller

Author: Chuck Straub from Mansfield, CT USA
16 December 2004

First off, "The Bunker" is not your normal monster/horror movie. The cover art on the box is great, it's a real attention getter but unfortunately misleads the viewer about the content of the film. The Bunker is about a group of Germans during WWII in an anti tank bunker connected to underground tunnels. The movie does not show any monsters or zombies. The soldiers go through a psychological breakdown as different events happen to them. The fears they face may be real, supernatural, or entirely in their own minds. It's up to the viewer to decide. If you're looking for a monster movie, I would not choose "The Bunker". It's more of a psychological thriller. What I really liked about the film was the whole sense of fear and the great eerie atmosphere within the bunker. The acting as well as the directing was very good. The characters and dialogue were done well. As always there will be some that don't like the fact that the Germans all had British accents. If it were an American film they would have American accents. You could say the same if it were Italian, French etc, big deal, so what! To be completely authentic they would have to speak German. Forget about the accents, it's' trivial. What ever you do if you watch this movie is pay attention. It's all in the details. You don't want to miss a moment. You could easily get lost and confused. I personally didn't care that much for the plot. Someone else may. That's all opinion. It sure was interesting though. It certainly is a film I don't think I'll forget.

Not bad at all

Author: yojimbo999 from Earth
19 February 2003

An atmospheric thriller that works right up to when everything is revealed. When the film maintains its balance of "is it ghosts or is it paranoia?" the movie works. The claustrophic confines are used well, and the film is a fast mover. It's a slick thriller, with a terrific class, and I for one am I glad that a movie has stopped trying to convince us its actors, despite speaking all English, are "foreign" by using some fake foreign accent. Why does Harrison Ford, when he's speaking completely in English, using a "Russian" accent in "K19"? Beats me. It doesn't make sense, especially when we KNOW they're supposed to be speaking in their character's native tongue. We GET IT. There's no need to make your actors do dumb fakey accents.

Could Have Been Better

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
12 October 2005

I heard about THE BUNKER as soon as it came out ( Being a British movie it would have received far more publicity here than it did in America ) and it seemed to split the critics right down the middle . Some people thought it was a great and atmospheric horror movie while others thought it was a confused cross genre story . Some critics thought it was a good idea to let the cast talk in their native accents while others were puzzled why a bunch of British soldiers are wearing German uniforms fighting against the Americans !

I don't have any problems with the British accents and idioms such as pronouncing the rank of Leutnant as " Left-ten-ant " but I do have a problem trying to identify with the characters . They're Germans from the mid 1940s , they're " the enemy " and even though they're doing a soldier's duty the audience can't think of them as anything but bad guys . It's the same with the very similar THE KEEP where the audience wonder who they're supposed to be rooting for . Perhaps if the characters were Volkstrum protecting Germany from the Red Army this aspect could have worked better but as it stands it's difficult to feel sorry for the characters . Incidentally aren't the surnames Franke and Engels of Jewish descent ?

Ironically enough while watching this I found myself often wishing that this was either a straightforward horror film or a straightforward war film . The early action scenes are very well directed by Rob Green while the scenes set in the dark catacombs are certainly atmospheric but it's the revelation at the end that you suddenly realise that THE BUNKER is neither a war film nor horror film but a ghost story mixed in with a redemption plot and its at this point you are allowed to decide if the film is successful or not and I'm afraid that it failed for me , an interesting failure but still a failure . Some people have complained it would have been better if the soldiers had faced zombies or something more horrific and I agree . Certainly it would have made for a more ridiculous less thoughtful film but would also have made for a more memorable and entertaining movie .

Slow paced, but worth it

Author: Vampenguin from Canada
14 March 2006

I've started to watch this on a few different occasions, but for whatever reason I've never gotten the whole way through. Until tonight that is, and I wish I hadn't put it off so long! Though it moves at a very slow pace, it's worth it in the end. There are some very tense and creepy scenes, especially once the soldiers begin to lose their grip on sanity near the end of the film. I do have some gripes with the movie however. First off, I cant quite fathom why a battalion of German soldiers all has British accents. Sure, the actors were good and everything, but you think they would have at least tried to sound German, eh? That aside however, this is a surprisingly tense and atmospheric horror film. Any worries that I may have had about Rob Green directing the Dog Soldiers sequel are officially washed away.

7.5/10

delicious irony.i guess that's something

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
17 May 2008

this is the third movie i have sen which attempts to combine war with the genre of horror.the first two,Deathwatch and Below,both released in 2002,succeeded in the attempt.this one,not so much.it tries,i'll give it that,and at times there's a glimmer of something better.but mostly it's just the vague,ultimately unfulfilled promise.it really takes a long time for this thing to get going.actually,i'm still waiting on that score.there's little to be had in the way of suspense or even tension.and i also thought there were a few scenes which were disturbing to the point of distaste.the fact the the German soldiers which the movie centres on,mostly spoke English with British accents,didn't bother me too much,but it was hard to take them seriously when they talked about the Americans as enemies,since in reality,the British and Americans were allies.the main characters were all pretty much morally wretched,which is the one good thing about this movie.you might not thing that would be a good thing,but they all deserved their fates,and in a way that occurs,was too me at least, deliciously ironic.otherwise,i found myself becoming increasingly distracted by anything else more interesting and had to force myself to try and stay focused on the movie.watchable,if only for the for the strong irony.i don't see myself watching his movie again,at least until enough time has passed that i forget how ungood it was.for me,the bunker is a 5/10,and a weak 5 at that,only because generally i consider anything 4 and under as bad or worse,and this wasn't quite bad,it was just ungood.that's my long winded observation.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]