IMDb > Bojangles (2001) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Reviews & Ratings for
Bojangles (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Filter: Hide Spoilers:
Index 3 reviews in total 

13 out of 13 people found the following review useful:

The tapping is the best part, but an overall fine, fine film.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
11 July 2001

This story about the life of Bill "Bojangles" Robinson begins in 1916, when after his performance he meets the young pharmacology student who he eventually marries. She was about 20, he was in his early 40s. The film ends about 30 years later, with what looks like original footage of his funeral procession in NYC. To 99% of the people "Bo" was a great and generous person and entertainer. To the other 1% who knew him intimately, he was apparently a real S.O.B.

A compulsive gambler and womanizer, his life was pretty close to a happy trainwreck. Dancing professionally until past the age of 65, he suffered with heart problems and died at age 71. During his prime he was the highest-paid black performer, and he was the black dancer in some of the early Shirley Temple movies.

The film is based on his biography, co-produced by star Gregory Hines, so I assume it is an accurate protrayal. In general I like fact-based films best, and I really like this one. I rate it "8" of 10. I also am a big fan of great dancing, and this film has that. I consider Hines not only a superb actor, but also one of the best modern dancers, and his portrayal of "Bojangles" seems so perfect. However, the real highlight for me is 1 hour 16 minutes into the film, when the newcomer kid, played by Savion Glover, does a routine that dazzles Bojangles, then they do a routine together in the dingy nightclub. The whole scene with all the tapping only lasts about 3 minutes, but it is a remarkable 3 minutes.

The DVD is very simple, no access to a menu, no digital sound, no extras. It is a Showtime movie.

Was the above review useful to you?

7 out of 7 people found the following review useful:

Hines rules!

Author: gerald Booth (chuckrules@juno.com) from alexandria va
20 June 2002

At the height of his career, Bill "Bojangles" Robinson was the highest paid Black entertainer. He died penniless. Bojangles was considered the best dancer alive and his specialty was tap. He started in the black-face productions and shocked people when he worked as a solo act. He was a headliner in Canada which didn't have the same issues with racism as America. He starred on Broadway and then began making movies predominately appearing as the Butler to a white star, usually Shirley Temple. Bojangles was known as "The Man with the Smile" since the broad smile never left his face while he was dancing. Unfortunately this Showtime movie shows the pain and anger behind the smile. The pain that caused a young boy to assume the name of his brother in an attempt to hide from their grandparent, the pain that caused a string of broken marriages, and the pain that caused an incessant urge to gamble away his life savings. Gregory Hines portrays Bojangles. Hines is one of the premier tap dancers alive. Hines is an incredibly expressive actor without saying a word. His eyes can speak volumes of what is going through his soul and the percussive music from his taps tells a story all of their own.

The movie does drag at times and Bojangles isn't the easiest of characters to like. However the movie is more than worth renting just to watch all of Hines' tap sequences. The man is an incredible dancer. His heir apparent, Savion Glover, appears in one sequence that is truly phenomenal to watch.

Was the above review useful to you?

7 out of 7 people found the following review useful:

Interesting, entertaining, and copasetic.

7/10
Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
6 February 2001

"Bojangles" tells the story of legendary hoofer Bill Robinson who tapped his way to stardom and success as America's highest paid black entertainer only to die penniless. Hines brings charisma, charm, and lots of great tappin' to the title role in this polished and sanitized biography. A fun watch especially for those who love tappin'.

Was the above review useful to you?


Add another review


Related Links

Plot synopsis Ratings Awards
External reviews Plot keywords Main details
Your user reviews Your vote history