IMDb > WrestleMania VII (1991) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

WrestleMania VII (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Wrestlemania VII

Author: wrestlingsitewebmaster from England
4 September 2005

This Wrestlemania was originally supposed to take place outside of Los Angeles, but Vince McMahon scrapped the idea. This was because Iraqi sympathiser Sgt Slaughter was supporting the Gulf War and he set the USA flag on fire. So while brave American soldiers were dying in the gulf, McMahon made money out of this. In this writers opinion McMahon has a habit of doing this. McMahon thought a sniper would kill Robert 'Sgt Slaughter' Remus for real.

So many matches were crammed onto the card and so many matches were cut short.

Results from Wrestlemania VII are as follows:

- The Rockers beat Haku and The Barbarian in an entertaining opening contest.

- Texas Tornado beat Canadian strongman Dino Bravo in a very short match.

- The Nasty Boys downed The Hart Foundation in a strong match. One interesting note is when Sean Mooney was interviewing The Hart Foundation before the match. Jim Heidhart said shouting "Knobs! Saggs! You say you're going to rock The Foundation, you say you are going to beat The Foundation! You say you're going to crack The Foundation! Well to crack The Foundation you have got to be right at the bottom and that's exactly where you guys are!" Read the paragraph what Anvil said, it means that they could crack the Foundation after all!

- The British Bulldog beat the Warlord in a short match.

- Jake 'the snake' Roberts beat Rick Martel in a memorable blindfold match.

- Virgil downed 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase via count out.

- The Big Bossman defeated Intercontinental Champion Mr Perfect via DQ when Haku and Barbarian ram in.

- Kitao and Tenryu defeated Demolition - Crush and Smash (Barry Darsow) - The Mountie defeated Tito Santana in a very short match.

- The Ultimate Warrior defeated 'Macho Man' Randy Savage in a career ending match.

- The Undertaker downed 'Superfly' Jimmy Snuka.

- Earthquake defeated Greg 'The Hammer' Valentine in a short match.

- Legion of Doom defeated Power and Glory in a terrible short match.

- Hulk Hogan defeated Sgt Slaughter to win the WWF World Heavyweight Championship.

Overall Grade - B- There were too many matches, but I can't help noticing that too many performers on the show are sadly no longer with us today.

RIP - Lord Alfred Hayes, Gorilla Monsoon, Joey Morella (referee), Texas Tornado, Dino Bravo, Hercules, Big Bossman, Mr Perfect, Andre the Giant, British Bulldog, Hawk, Elizabeth.

My first Wrestlemania!

Author: jimjam20-2 (jimjam20@uswest.net) from Oregon
27 July 2000

I was in 6th grade for this show and it was my first ever Wrestlemania!...the Warrior/Savage match is one of my all time favs with a classic ending...and most of weaker matches are pretty short....main event was nothing special, Hogan/Slaughter, but like I said, it was my first....so its a sentimental fav of mine....I would say 9 out of 10 stars

Everlasting Hulkamania was quite boring at this moment

Author: amanwhorocks from Czech Republic
4 July 2013

First wrestler I saw on WM VII was Jim Duggan- that's not good beginning.

1. The Rockers vs. Barbarian/Haku - Yes! Shawn defeats Haku, nice opening match (fairly quick on Meng and Barbarian) 6/10

2. Dino Bravo Vs. Texas Tornado 5/10

3. The Warlord Vs. The British Bulldog 6/10

4. WWF Tag Team Championship: The Nasty Boys Vs. Champs-The Hart Foundaion 5.5/10

5. Blindfold Match: Rick Martel Vs. Jake Roberts - This was so ridiculous, crowd showed Jake Roberts way to the Rick Martel. Bleh. I like Jake Roberts and even Martel, but this match strictly sucks. At least they let finally Jake win some match on PPV. 3/10.

6. Superboring Jimmy Snuka Vs. The Undertaker - Taker's Career beginnings are full of atmosphere! 7/10

7. End Career match: Macho King Randy Savage Vs. The Ultimate Idiot - Slow punching match. And hey! Sleeper hold! OOooh clothesline - top of the match. Please guys, not so quickly on me. Warrior wins. Need I look at him dancing in pink boots again? Even it's shame that Macho lost, there was nice ending with Liz. 4.5/10

8. Tenryu/Kitao Vs. The Demolition - 5/10

9. Intercontinental Match: Champ-Mr. Perfect Vs. Big Stiff Man - Thx to booker that Mr. Perfect didn't lay for this unsympathetic slow fat O'hara 5.5/10

10. Greg Valentine Vs. Earthquake 5.5/10

11. Power & Glory Vs. Legian of Doom (formerly known as Road Warriors) - Fast and furious. 1 minute or 2? Sometimes that's better. 6/10

12. Virgil Vs. Million Dollar Man - NO, another appearance of Pajpa. :/ 4/10

13. The Mountie Vs. Tito Santana - Cheap shot 1 minute match. Clap, clap. 4/10

14. World Heavyweight Championship: Hulk Hogan Vs. Champ-Sgt. Slaughter- Did you see Invincible Hulk On turnbuckle sometimes before? :) Me not. And the match didn't worth t for. Semi-God is champ again. *Boring* 4/10

Sry, but that was weak show.

Double Main Event!

Author: bh_tafe3 from Australia
18 February 2009

To be honest I've got no idea if this was actually billed as a double main event show, but it certainly should have been. The build to both big matches: Randy Savage vs The Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan vs Sgt Slaughter started at the Royal Rumble. On that night Sgt Slaughter defeated The Ultimate Warrior to win the WWE Championship thanks to Savage, who knocked out Warrior with his King's sceptre. Hogan had won the Royal Rumble, and even though that didn't officially lead to a title shot back in 1991, it certainly gave the rarely beaten and in form Hogan a claim to a title match, which he would receive tonight.

So it was Savage/ Warrior, with the loser forced to retire and The Real American Hulk HOgan taking on Iraqi sympathiser Sgt Slaughter. This show was considered a financial disappointment at the time it happened, though fans in nearly twenty years on can't complain as it gave us one of the greatest matches in WWE history.

The early matches saw The Rockers: Shawn Micheals and Marty Janetty defeating Barbarian and Haku with Bobby Heenan at ringside in an entertaining opener. Next up former Intercontinental Champion Kerry Von Erich defeated Dino Bravo in a short match, and the British Bulldog, on his own after being in a tag team with Dynamite Kid for years, defeated The Warlord in a slow match.

Next up saw the brawling Nasty Boys defeat the Hart Foundation, Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart, to win the WWE Tag Team Titles. This was a fun match. The Nasty Boys weren't great technical wrestlers but were rather good at kicking people's asses, which is what they did here.

Next up Jake Roberts defeated Rick Martel in a blindfold match. A risky match type, to say the least from an entertainment perspective. The Undertaker then defeated Superfly Jimmy Snuka in what looked like a fairly meaningless match at the time, but turned out to be the start of the Undertaker's long Wrestlemania undefeated streak.

Next came the first really big match on the card as The Ultimate Warrior, in arguably the best match of his career, defeated Randy Savage in an absorbing, outstanding contest. There were near falls aplenty, and both guys projected extremely well that their careers were on the line here. Savage turned on Queen Sherri after the match. He would be back wrestling within six months, while the Warrior would soon be gone, back, and then gone again.

Tenryu and Kitao then defeated Demolition Ax and Smash in a match I have no recollection of. Mr Perfect retained the IC Title after getting disqualified against the Big Bossman., and Erathquake defeated Greg Valentine.

Next up saw the Legion of Doom Hawk and Animal, better known as the great NWA Tag Team the Road Warriors defeat Power and Glory Hercules and Paul Roma, in their first Wrestlemania appearance.

Ted DiBiase's former slave Virgil, now emancipated then defeated Ted DiBiase by count out, bringing the house down. Classic stuff. This was followed by the Mountie, formerly Jacques Rougeau, with Jimmy Hart defeating Tito Santana in a charmless squash.

Finally comes the main event, in which "The Real American" Hulk Hogan defeated Iraqi Sympathiser Sgt Slaughter. Overcoming the unpatriotic tool and his offsider General Adnan in a decent match. Slaughter controlled most of it, really focusing on Hogan's back before Hogan hulked up, hit the leg drop and got the pin.

Hulkamania was back, sort of. But this would be a weaker, short lived and less successful version than the 1984-1990 variety. There was just something missing from Hulkamania in 1991.

Not the best Wrestlemania, but not the worst.

Author: kevinc5680 from United States
10 June 2006

If you look at the match listing for Wrestlemania VII, you're probably going to think, "Wow, there are a ton of WWF Superstars on this event. Don't be fooled. Guys like the Texas Tornado, who was an Intercontinental Champion, didn't get much match time. Demolition, a huge draw for years in the WWF, seem boring and not quite the same tag team you would've seen years before.

Now that doesn't mean there aren't quality matches on this event. The Blindfold Match between Jake Roberts and Rick Martel was pretty good, especially if you haven't seen it before. The British Bulldog/Warlord match was worth it. The Rockers/Barbarian & Haku match was a great starter. Of course you have the Ultimate Warrior vs. Macho King Randy Savage. Now I've read mixed reviews about this match. I'd say it's the Ultimate Warrior's greatest match. I think anyone can enjoy this match, but because the Ultimate Warrior didn't have the best ring skills, a lot of people are quick to write off anything he does. All in all, this match is very entertaining and one of the best on this event. The Slaughter/Hogan match wasn't all that, but because it was a patriotic, USA vs Iraq match, it worked for the time. People in 1991 were into it because, we were at war. Overall, it's no classic, but it worked for the time.

Wrestlemania VII isn't the best Wrestlemania, but it's definitely not the worst. I'd say the average wrestling fan can appreciate what comes out of this event.

No feuds really settled but one

Author: dave78 from United Kingdom
22 March 2006

i really enjoyed this at the time e my first wrestlemania but looking back a complete waste it had probably the most enjoyable match ever Warrior Savage but the main event result was never in doubt this made the match completely unentertaining. Wrestlemania should where all feuds are settled instead of meaningless matches like bulldog warlord etc.A better card would have been Demolition vs l.o.d, Perfect Tornado rematch Rockers vs hartfoundation Jake vs model Undertaker vs hogan for the title. sgt should

have never won it. With talent like Dibiase and Earthquake around why bother giving sgt the title people would rather see a title match they cannot predict than hogan winning again

A MEMORABLE EVENT

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
28 April 2002

WrestleMania VII was just phenomenal for so many reasons. It was one of those events that had something for everyone. There were great matches, major upsets, debuts by certain stars and final appearances by others.

(SPOILERS THROUGHOUT)The main event saw Hulk Hogan battle 'Iraqi' supporter Sgt. Slaughter. At the time I thought wrestling capitilising on the Gulf War was very bad taste considering that servicemen were risking their lives in Iraq. The Gulf War ended in February 1991 and this event took place in March 1991 so really the Iraqi angle should have been dropped. But I cannot deny that the fans really enjoyed seeing Hogan beat Sgt. Slaughter to a pulp.

The undercard was just amazing. The Undertaker made his debut by burying Superfly Jimmy Snuka. Jake "The Snake" Roberts fought The Model in a Blindfold match. The popular Hart Foundation lost the tag team titles to the despicable Nasty Boys. The Mountie made his debut and beat veteran wrestler Tito Santana. The Ultimate Warrior beat the Macho King in a career match and it was great to see the Macho King's old flame Elizabeth reunite with him. There were other great matches as well.

WrestleMania VII marked the final appearance of two WWF icons. The late Andre the Giant made his last appearance here by going to the aid of The Big Boss Man who was under attack from the then unpopular Heenan Family. And we also got to see the last ever appearance of Demolition who fell to Japenese duo Tenryu and Kitao.

A truly memorable card which one can enjoy over and over again. This was the last truly great WrestleMania in my opinion. Since then we have had average and at times poor WrestleMania events.

Too commercialized (spoiler)

Author: Sugar Salvador from Toronto, Ontario
27 April 2002

This was an average card for wrestling but good for storylines. The best match was Warrior vs Savage it was a career match and even though they didn't follow through it was still great and Savage making up with Elizabeth was a terrific moment. It was mostly about beginnings and ends. The Hart Foundation wrestled their last match. Demolition was at the end of their run. It was the end of the "Macho King". It was the beginning of the LOD's big run and Undertaker's first Wrestlemania. It was also Davey Boy Smith's 1st Wrestlemaia as a singles wrestler. A highlight was the 3 year blowoff match between Virgil and Diabiase, it was really well done. A lot of people will diss the blindfold match but Martel had me on the floor laughing when I saw it. All the American flags and Sgt. Slaughter fighting for Iraq, that just cheapened the event and the outcome was never in doubt.

Disappointing WrestleMania

Author: PyroPlasmX from Herndon, VA
20 March 2006

I do enjoy the classic WrestleMania's. But this one was not that good from start to finish. First you have to look at the fact that they only sold about 16,000 tickets and had to move the event to a smaller arena. Then they called it the largest Pay-Per-View audience in history despite the fact the buy rates were pretty bad.

As far as the matches go there were none that really stand out in my mind as classics. In fact Demolition vs Tenryu & Kitao is one of the worst WrestleMania matches of all time. The Savage vs. Warrior match is called a classic and it did have some good momentum changes but the Warrior required someone to give him a good match but Savage wasn't the guy to do that. The Mr. Perfect match was decent but it's hard to pull a good match when you are facing a man as big as Big Boss Man.

Finally there is the main event of Sgt. Slaughter vs. Hulk Hogan. I think by this time people were getting a little bored with Hogan in WrestleMania. The story for this match wasn't very good and the actual match itself was kinda boring. Had I seen this back in 1991 I would have loved but it now I realize that there are many better WrestleMania's than this one.

Wrestlemania 7: An underrated classic!

Author: massage_monkey from Dallas, OR
1 December 2005

First off, yes, the Slaughter/Iraq angle was stupid. But the Heat for the main event was off the charts and, shockingly, Slaughter carries Hogan to a decent match! The Warrior vs Savage is one of the best booked matches in history, and to not enjoy it is a travesty! A 5 star classic for sure. Some other bright spots included a great opener between the Rockers/Haku & Barbarian. Bulldog/Warlord was also much better than expected! Surprise appearances for Elizabeth & Andre the Giant just added to the big event feel here!

Sure, there was a lot of filler at this show too, but its still a fun card and was the first Wrestlemania I ever got to see.

A must to see for sure!