IMDb > Maid in Manhattan (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Maid in Manhattan

Maid in Manhattan More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 25: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

very interesting!!!!!

Author: sport_mouse from hong kong
19 June 2003

this film is really good. i have seen it for ten times (or even more) !!!!! although the story is just like a dream,at least we can imagine... right?

and of course i like Ralph Fiennes...^_^

Jennifer Lopez did very well in this film, too !!!

big thrills for fans of romantic comedies

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
4 June 2003

Jennifer Lopez, in a winning performance, plays Marisa. She is a Puerto Rican maid at a large and expensive hotel in Manhatten. One day senatorial candidate Chris Marshall (Ralph Fiennes) come to stay at the hotel. By accident, he meets Marisa in street clothes and believes her to be another guest. (Her son is present, also.) She plays along, for a day. Things become complicated when he tries to find her again. Spotting her at last on the street, Chris asks Marisa to be his date for a fund raising event. Reluctantly, she attends the program but disappears after a very romantic evening. When will Chris discover the truth? This movie is enjoyable on many levels. It melts the heart of any born romantic. Yet, is has something to say about different cultures, hard work, single mothers, and second chances. Marisa's son is adorable and plays a major role in the plotline. Then, we come to Ralph Fiennes. No female on the planet should be able to resist his charming performance. Don't pass this one by at the video store or the library.

Jennifer Lopez does not make it ( again )

Author: noxhitman from Brazil
20 May 2003

I am tired of trying to find a good movie with jennifer lopez, i guess i have seen most of her famous movies but they simply doesn't work, she is not good as an actress... Stick to the music please

With this movie i am giving up on her movies for good. I dont know what else to expect from her , but at least she is not gonna make money from me again.

Simply Horrible 2/10

Ralph Feinnes as Prince Charming?

Author: Barbara Houston ( from Durham, North Carolina
20 April 2003

Okay, so I'm not a Jennifer Lopez fan. But my husband was trying to rent a few videos that I'd appreciate -- chick flicks, you know. I berated him, but ten minutes into the movie, I was smiling.

The movie has a warm feel to it. There's nothing overly exciting. It's an average film, but I found Ralph Feinnes surprisingly endearing.

Everyone knows the man can act -- he's amazing, but I was sure he was miscast in a romantic comedy. Instead, his performance was delicately understated. He was charming and certainly appealing.

The other true bright spot in the film was Bob Hoskins as a hotel's butler. His performance was so tight and dignified. I just wanted to hug him.

Not a great film, but a pleasant few hours. 7 out 0f 10.

Author: Softball_chick from Here
14 April 2003

I thought Maid in Manhattan was a very cute movie. I think Jennifer Lopez is a good actress and the boy that played her son was really cute, I can't remember his name at the moment. Some say this movie was predictable and boring, but I thought it was great! Also this is a movie you don't have to be worried about watching in front of your parents because mine loved it! I would give this movie an 9/10!

What is this?

Author: Allegra Andersson from Oxford, England
9 April 2003

What is this? How dare they take Ralph Fiennes and set him beside such a hackneyed young woman as Jennifer Lopez, who is decidedly lacking in acting talent? Even more; how dare they take a cliched, boring story such as the one in this story and expect audiences to take them seriously? My feelings are of disgust, with passing sympathy for Stanley Tucci and Ralph Fiennes, both good actors. Why would they have agreed to act in this film?

Author: dell_of_dreams from australia
2 April 2003

Ralph Fiennes must've been paid an incredible amount of money to lower his standards and star in this instantly and thankfully forgettable film about a maid who is mistaken for a rich girl only to be seduced by a rich politician who doesnt know her true identity, and so on and so forth.

I personally found this movie boring, cringeworthy and predictable.

I also personally don't see what's so interesting about miss Lopez, okay so she's attractive so are alot of people, my nextdoor neighbour's not bad but i wouldn't wanna see her pretending to act either!

I honestly do like a good light hearted comedy as much as the next guy, but light-hearted shouldn't equal bloody awful!

Pretty damn good for what it is

Author: tmieczkowski from Cincinnati, Ohio
21 March 2003

I saw this movie a bit earlier than it got released on video and had very low expectations. I've never enjoyed any Jennifer Lopez movies .. but the shining lights were there (Ray Fiennes, Stanley Tucci, & the incomparable Bob Hoskins .. not to mention Wayne Wang helmed it) Regardlessly, I enjoyed it. There were a few plot fallacies as is evident in nearly any entry into this genre. So as far as blaming it for being cutesy.. that's quite brash. It seems this movie has gotten the short end of the stick and I would encourage those of you who enjoy romantic comedies to seek this one out. It's really not bad. 7/10

Classic fairytale romance - not a great romantic comedy, but not bad

Author: R. J. ( from Lisbon
18 March 2003

What, you might ask, are "Smoke" director Wayne Wang and "Spider" star Ralph Fiennes doing in, of all things, a romantic-comedy vehicle for Jennifer Lopez? The cynical answer would be earning their rent, of course, but unlikely as it may be Wang actually pulls off this formulaic Cinderella story of a Latino hotel maid mistaken for a fellow guest by a handsome tony politician running for Senate who falls madly in love with her, turning it into a engaging and utterly charming romantic comedy. The wondrous part is, "Maid in Manhattan" had everything going against it: originally written by John Hughes as a starring vehicle for Julia Roberts, who declined to star in it but remained involved through her production company, the film suffered a number of rewrites once Lopez came on board, eventually leading Hughes to cut his ties with the studio and withdraw his name from the credits, and was still undergoing rewrites as it went into production. It only shows in the rather hurried ending, since everything else is classy, classic fairytale romance, much helped by Wang's discreet handling, a solid supporting cast and two charming performances from the high-chemistry leads: Lopez, though typecast as the confident Latina, is particularly good, and Fiennes shows a lighter side of him that serves him well. While not one of the great romantic comedies, it's the best of what has been a very lacklustre season for the genre and a sweet, worthy entry.

Shame on you, Ralph

Author: philip-63 from London, England
11 March 2003

The make-up people must have used a TON of gloop to cover up Ralph's red face on this one. Never a good smiler (let's face it) his attempts here at being warm and genuine are truly painful, and it's a miracle his face doesn't crack open from the effort. There's zero screen chemistry between him and Lopez, and the story is pure Hollywood factory output - unoriginal, uninspired, unfunny. A strong candidate for worst film of the year.