IMDb > Maid in Manhattan (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Maid in Manhattan

Maid in Manhattan More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 25: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Boring And Predictable

Author: livingdeadgirl_13 from vancouver
8 February 2003

A Maid In Manhattan named Marisa(Jennifer Lopez) and her son Ty(Tyler Posey) meet the famous senatorial candidate Christopher Marshall(Ralph Fiennes). Marisa doesn't want him to know that she's a maid so she steals some clothes from a guest and pretends to be someone else. But then Christopher falls in love with her and sooner or later, Marisa is going to have to tell him the truth, will he or will he not, stay with her after he finds out who she really is? Well, i think you can guess that. The whole movie was very boring and predictable. Well, what can you expect from a Jennifer Lopez movie anyways? I would give Maid In Manhattan 4/10

Charming and innocent, but not too deep

Author: schwenkb from southeastern Tennessee
21 January 2003

"Maid in Manhattan" was surprisingly delectable in an innocent sort of way. Jennifer Lopez's character is almost morally unblemished; she's meek, humble, and has a good head on her shoulders. Her relationship as a single mother with her son is true-to-life, even though there are very few child genuises in real life.

Ralph Fiennes is a great addition as well. He's a politician coming to terms with the balance of bureaucracy and humanity in making laws. Lopez assists him in this process in a way that fits nicely into the story. Even though the movie isn't about anything on a deep level, there's a good message beyond the chemistry.

Basically, this movie was worth the $5, and I was surprised that I actually enjoyed this chick flick. It's the best since "A Walk to Remember," and a good date film as well. Plus, you just don't feel as slimed or dirty when the lead actress doesn't walk around dressed like a slut all the time, especially when she has a kid.

The movie equivalent of comfort food

Author: Linda-Lee
14 January 2003

This heart-warming movie is predictable and it doesn't have any surprises in it (if you think it does you are one sad, strange, little man), and is considered a "chick-flick" but nonetheless I enjoyed it.

Jennifer Lopez plays Marissa Ventura, a single-parent/maid at a fancy New York hotel, who tries on a rich lady's clothes and meets Chris Marshall (Ralph Fiennes), a candidate for senator, while wearing them, so he thinks she's some big socialite or something and she doesn't bother to correct him assuming that he will no longer be interested in her if she does. The two feel connected with each other when they take Marissa's 10-year-old son, Ty, played by Tyler Posey, to the Zoo.

Natahsa Richardson is terrific as Caroline Lane, the woman who's clothes Marissa tried on. She herself is attracted to Christopher Marshall, and is constantly flirting with him.

The floor butler, Lionel, is excellently played by Bob Hoskins, is your typical mentor. He has several nice lines such as, "What we do does not define who we are." And his character adds common ground to the film.

Maid in Manhattan is not overly comedic, but does have several humorous sequences such as when Marissa doesn't realize she has a magazine stuck to her butt. It does not have the most extensive dialouge, but it is very charming and is the movie equivalent of comfort food. 7 stars out of 10

Not the best romantic comedy, but it had its moments.

Author: kippardue_luvr21
4 January 2003

This wasn't the best romantic comedy I've ever seen, but it had it's briefly humorous moments. I thought the cast was great especially the performances by Stanley Tucci, Natasha Richardson, Tyler Posey, and Bob Haskins. I think Jennifer Lopez has done better parts, but she wasn't that bad in this movie. If you're the kind of person that gets all "gushy" over these movies, I recommend it. I think you'll enjoy it. But, on the other hand i would recommend another movie.

Formulaic and Trashy

Author: emfern13 from Baltimore
4 January 2003

Maid in Manhattan is a typical Cinderalla story, it is also very trashy. J. Lo is terrible in this movie, she cannot act at all. I have never been big on Romantic Comedies and this movie has made me think that there will never be a good one. Overall, 3 out of 10, it has some good lines but not enough to help the movie a lot.

Good but not awesome

Author: c130dude from St. Louis
3 January 2003

This movie was cute, but didn't leave me wanting more. I thought the acting was pretty good, but not exceptional. Storyline was a little worn out. I'd watch it again if I was bored, simply because it made me feel pretty good. Not a lot more to ask of a "pretty good" movie!

Would have been perfect if not for Miss Lopez

Author: spinbunny from London, Ontario
2 January 2003

This movie is great if not for everyone but Miss Lopez...a stellar cast except for her....she is so plastic I was amazed she did not melt. Everyone else was amazing--- Natasha Richardson, Amy Sedaris, all the other maids, her son (SO ADORABLE), Bob Hoskins, the ever wonderful Stanley Tucci, the woman who played her mother (a Lopez --- any relation??? --- I doubt it, she had talent), Ralph Fiennes, even the security guard, manager and chief housekeeper at the hotel were amazing ---- they made the movie. I just wish another actress had played the main role --- ANY OTHER ACTRESS --- and the movie would have been amazing. I love "cinderella stories" --- but I could not get over the liz taylor of our generation and her plastic acting trying to overcome the role --- let her stick to her recycling of hjusbands and cochie-cooing all over the fashion magazines and give and actress worth her chops a part like this and make the movie worthwhile seeing !!!! (I saw it as the reviews said the supporting cast made it worth the price of admission, and they did!!!!)

cute and sweet romantic comedy

Author: Sunshine14clr from texas, u.s.a.
2 January 2003

well, i was reluctant to see this one because i don't particularly care for miss lopez a*k*a j lo. i saw it mainly because my mom and friend talked me into it. my my i am so glad they did. it was so cute! the acting was awesome. well done miss lopez! not to forget natasha richardson and ralph fiennes. the diolouge was great to. the story line was an excellent idea. this movie is perfect for the holidays. even though the holidays have passed, go ahead and see it. get the girls together and you'll have a blast. guys, you'll probably be entertained as well! well done! 10 stars out of 10

Great movie !!! bad comments !??!

Author: exa56 from Canada
30 December 2002

Maid in Manhattan is simply wonderful !!It's the greatest movie I've seen for a long time !!!Actually... I'm really wondering how can people say its boring !! It's impossible that they don't like it ..even if it's just a little bit ... I know that they're free to have their opinion but .... if someone watched that movie and found it bowring I think they don't know how to appreciate good movie and I would really know what kind of movie they're enjoying !!!! Anywayz... for me its a really great movie and I can't wait until the movie will be on videocassette..and I'll buy it that's for sure !!!

Do NOT see this movie!

Author: spowell69 from cooterville
30 December 2002

This movie is the feel-bad (to your stomach) movie of the year!

Jen Lopez used to be a good performer (see 'Out Of Sight') and now she's only worried about becoming the next julia roberts, or the next ashley judd, etc, etc, blech.

**SPOILER**

This movie is rotting your brains!

**END SPOILER**

And one more thing: THIS MOVIE SUCKS!

PS - does anyone actually think ralph fiennes is sexy?