IMDb > Maid in Manhattan (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Well, I liked it!

Author: Chocklit from British Columbia, Canada
9 October 2007

So many people have already written reviews of this movie, which has been out for five years now, that I am not going to go into detail about the plot, or the acting, or whether the storyline is predictable, or how cute Ty Posey was. I am merely going to say that I watched it tonight for the first time with my 13-year old daughter and we both enjoyed it immensely. I found Jennifer Lopez a bit stiff in places, but overall she handled the role well. I do not understand why so many people had problems with Ralph Finnes in this movie, I found him not only believable but incredibly sexy, and I hope he gets the opportunity to do more romantic comedies! Bob Hoskins stole every scene he was in. Stanley Tucci chewed scenery. Natasha Richardson was suitably selfish and blonde. New York was lovely. The dog overacted shamelessly. The movie was not perfect, but it was delightful. The only wrong note was the series of magazine covers at the end, showing what happened to the characters; it was much too "cute" and rather unbelievable (all three of her maid friends become hotel managers?) And I was rather disappointed that - for all the film's brave talk of crossing social barriers - the movie ends with nothing more than a magazine cover with the headline "A year later, they are still together". I felt cheated.

Wonderful "Feel Good" Movie

Author: sarahbelle77
11 May 2003

So you'll know where I'm coming from, some of my favorite movies are "Parent Trap," "Father of the Bride," "Kate & Leopold." If you like these kinds of movies that leave you feeling good and happy about life, then you'll enjoy this tastefully done movie as well. I could have done without a certain scene between the two, but this movie has a lot to offer, and has a moral to teach as well. It has strong characters of positive principles, and there's even an "older man mentor," like from "Pretty Women," that adds that wholesome touch to the film.

A positive note about the movie.

Author: Michiel Van Aerschot from Herenthout, Belgium
3 September 2004

I just saw the movie and checked IMDb right away, where I found that this movie only had a score of 4.6 which I find to little. Why? There are some reasons. But first, when I watched this movie I knew always what was going to come, you can see in advance where the movie is going to. This is why I think the movie gets such low score. Unjust I feel, when you go to see this movie or rent it, I assume you know that it's a romantic movie? By the title of the movie you could very much assume that it's a feel good movie. So when you bring these 2 together you pretty much know what's gonna happen if you read the back of the movie box. Why rent it then? For it's purpose, it makes you feel good. Two people falling in love is always a nice thing and seeing how they cross boundary's for that love is even nicer. Thus I think that the movie succeeded in what he was made for. To give people the romance and the good feeling. Go see this movie with your girl/boyfriend if he or she doesn't dislike this kind of movies and sure you will feel happier about your own relationship as well. Because there is nothing heavy about this movie. That's what makes it so good in his genre. Do not watch this movie for super acting skills (although I do not dislike the acting). Do not go and see him for the directors special thricks to tell you things. Go see this movie for the romance and positive note and for sure you will not be disappointed.

Don't waste your time - watch "Sabrina" once again instead!

Author: debblyst from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
29 December 2004

The story? Cliché, cliché, cliché, the umpteenth remake of Cinderella with not a single interesting addition. The script? Formula (and lame at that). The cast? Jennifer Lopez's turn as Cinderella/Sabrina proves she does not remotely belong to "rags-to-Princess" roles; she is galaxies away from Audrey Hepburn or Grace Kelly (or even "Pretty Woman" Julia Roberts), no matter how expensive the jewelry or costumes she wears. Ralph Fiennes seems to be on an O.D. of Prozac, with a perennial foolish smile on his face, wishing he were Cary (or even Hugh!) Grant -- shame to see a talented actor in such a puffy role. Natasha Richardson is wasted in the obligatory dumb blonde part, Stanley Tucci hams it up irritatingly, Bob Hoskins knows and shows his role is an embarrassment. On a less negative note, kid Tyler Posey is a real charmer, and manages to survive his "cutie" part. The direction? Well, no doubt Wayne Wang is a professional and I hope he was paid a LOT of money to lend his prestigious name to this fluffy cake - I only wish the word "professionalism" were taken more seriously, as in "professional integrity"...Where is the Wayne Wang that directed the surrealistic "Life is Cheap...But Toilet Paper is Expensive" and the cool "Smoke"?

Sit through this only if you are in a hypoglycemic fit; otherwise watch "Sabrina" once again and marvel at real star power, witty dialog and charm to spare!

Cute movie

Author: Anders Boel (boel) from Aarhus, Denmark
2 April 2003

It might not be Oscar material, but it is a cute movie - so if you like Jennifer Lopez or wants to spend an evening on the sofa with your girlfriend, this movie is a good choice. Nice acting from all parts and a cool soundtrack with Norah Jones.

Cinderella without fragile shoes

Author: vanvanhorn from Whidbey Island
14 September 2010

So it's Cinderella. It's hard to imagine why that would bother anyone who'd seen the trailer, by the time you sit down to watch the movie you know the plot.

I may be the last person on earth to see Jennifer Lopez outside the checkout line. She's not bad looking but didn't impress me all that greatly as an actress, but she did tell the story. This may be a light- weight role for Fiennes (duh!) but I thought he carried it off well. The kid (Ty) was great, and Bob Hoskins was wonderful.

I think Pygmalian (Pretty Woman) is a better story, and Julia Roberts is obviously head and shoulders above Jennifer Lopez, but I certainly don't regret adding it to my Netflix queue!

Van

Defining Moments

Author: writestuff-793-816916 from United States
17 July 2010

This is a warm-heated story with a predictable plot. It may not be a great film, but but it is good entertainment. And the highlight of the movie may be hidden in a soliloquy, rather than revealed at the end. Every good story offers hope and this film delivers that. Its characters also experience transformation thanks to several easily-overlooked defining moments. So watch and enjoy the film for entertainment. Then watch it again, and again, for the pleasure of discovering the tapestry of truths it contains.

This is every bit as good a film as "The Wedding Planner" and Fiennes portrays a politico who learns the world doesn't revolve around himself. To some that might seem like fantasy, but it doesn't detract from the story. The supporting cast is a delightful menagerie. And perhaps the best role is that of Lionel Bloch, played by Bob Hoskins, who portrayed Smee in "Hook."

This isn't just another chick flick. And guys may need a few Kleenex. They will definitely be glad that Jennifer Lopez didn't wear another dress.

Dear Ralph, Natasha, and Bob - WHY?????

Author: Liza-19 from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
7 September 2003

I can understand Jennifer Lopez being in this stupid piece of fluff that has no point, but why, oh WHY were the other actors in it? Three great British actors: Ralph Fiennes, Natasha Richardson, Bob Hoskins - I know they can do better than this! J-Lo was good in the Wedding Planner, but watching this movie made me realize what a lousy actress she really is. The story is one that's been told a hundred thousand times - and has been done a hundred thousand times better. There was nothing new here, no new ideas, not even a good laugh. They call it a romantic comedy, but it's not. It's J-Lo pouting for two hours. Ralph and Natasha try to throw in some comedic elements, but they're stuck with really unfunny lines (Natasha's "I've been dumped" speech for one). Bob Hoskins has the one good speech in the entire film, but even he can't save it. Why was he in it? Why? I don't think we'll ever know.

Entirely Unoriginal Retelling Of The Cinderella Story

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
23 June 2003

So, let's see. A hotel maid meets a candidate for the Senate, except that she's all fancied up when she meets him so he doesn't know she's a maid - he thinks she's some rich socialite - and they fall in love until reality comes crashing in. Sounds like Cinderella. There's even some folk cast in the wicked stepmother role, except in this case it's the wicked hotel guest (Natasha Richardson) whose identity Marisa the maid (Jennifer Lopez) steals.

This really was a sad case for a movie, filled with completely unbelievable scenes: Marisa is really going to be allowed to borrow a fabulously valuable necklace from the hotel jewelry shop? 10 year old Ty (Tyler Posey) is really going to be able to get into a news conference with a Senate candidate - and ask questions?! And Ralph Fiennes as a serious Senate candidate?

Believe me, this is not worth the effort of watching.

Fantasy for a single mom ?

Author: ebiros2 from United States
25 April 2011

Nice fantasy romance starring Jennifer Lopez that seems to rank high amongst her fans.

Marisa Ventura (Jennifer Lopez) is a single parent maid working at a high end hotel in Manhattan. She meets Chris (Ralph Finnes) a wealthy politician who finds her son cute and also falls for her head over heels, but he thinks she's also from a privileged background. Soon he finds out her true identity. Will her romance survive ?

This is a modern day Cinderella story. By no effort of her own, she goes from a maid to becoming affiliated with the highest echelon of the society. Coveted, desired and protected by a strong man who also likes her son and is very nice to him as well. It's an escapism, but it works.

The opinions may be divided on this movie. Some may find the story too convenient. Other's may find the story a transporting experience for 100 minutes. One thing is for sure. If someone else played the lead, this movie would have been just a soap opera, but credit goes to Jennifer Lopez for turning a flop into a box office success. She brings quality to the movie that wouldn't deserve the class if she wasn't in it.

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]