IMDb > Surviving Christmas (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 8 of 12: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

(There should be no) Surviving Screenwriters

Author: Kevin L. Kitchens (klkitchens) from Atlanta, GA
22 October 2004

This movie is terrible. TERRIBLE. One of the worst movies ever. I cannot even imagine Gigli being worse that this. Previews made us say "NO", but then looking for something amid the dreck out there right now, we decided to go ahead and give it a shot.

STUPID US.

Affleck is NOT an actor. He's an image and can look good with explosions, but not even the kind Bruce Willis got in "Die Hard". If he stripped his shirt and ran around fighting bad guys, it would be a comedy.

The best part was Catherine O'Hara -- she's always good. Gandolfini flops again (if it weren't for The Sopranos, he'd be washed up) like he did in "The Mexican".

Affleck hogs every scene and as others have said -- no character has any motivation whatsoever for their actions.

AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS.

Surviving Christmas (2004) **

Author: JoeKarlosi from U.S.A.
9 December 2009

Ben Affleck plays lonely young millionaire Drew Latham, a man with no family who stresses out every Christmas season. So he sees a shrink who advises him to visit his old neighborhood and when he does, he meets the latest typically dysfunctional family who now live in the old house he grew up in. Drew offers to pay them $250,000 if they'll let him live with them for the holidays and pretend to be his real family. The only good thing about this one for me was getting to see James Gandolfini (of THE SOPRANOS) as the coarse and agitated dad, and the usually-dependable Catherine O'Hara as the mom. Unfortunately, neither is used to their best potential in the script writing. And sorry, but I've never cared much for Christina Applegate, who plays the bitchy daughter here that wants no part of Drew or his holiday wish. ** out of ****

greatest movie since jingle all the way

Author: Marlinfan18 from United States
9 March 2007

i went into this movie not knowing what to expect, actually i expected absolute garbage. But this movie turned out to be a great Christmas movie for the whole family. I recommend everyone to go out and see this movie. Affleck reaffirms himself as a powerhouse in Hollywood with this instant classic. Affleck dishes out an emotional and powerful performance. Gandolfini delivered another Oscar worth performance as a lovable grumpy dad. The kids of the family add a touch of heart with a whole bunch of comedy. Ohara proved she can act without the Waiting For Guffman crew. This was a fun filled adventure that could eventually replace a Christmas Story on TNT on Christmas Eve's to come. I highly recommend this 5 star epic.

SURVIVING Christmas NOW OUT ON DVD!!!

Author: C Blake from Studio City, CA
23 December 2004

Surviving Christmas is now out on DVD!

I just bought it at Target in Los Angeles. They are displaying it on the front shelves of the movie section. I'm so glad because I really enjoyed this movie. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm sure the extras are funny too!

James Gandolfini and Katherine O'Hara are really funny in the film. So are Ben Affleck and Christina Applegate. The supporting cast is funny too. There are many actors in the movie that you recognize, but don't know their names.

In the very beginning of the movie there is a funny sequence where everyone is depressed about Christmas. That's hysterical! One really funny person is the "Lonely Lady." She's played by Joan Blair. She was in Daddy DayCare and Donnie Darko. She's really good!

For all of you folks that missd the movie at the theatres, have fun watching it!

Loved it

Author: emilymarie77 (emilymarie77@msn.com) from usa
6 December 2004

The movie hit all that a movie like this should. I walked out feeling great and wanting to tell everyone that this movie was great. I think many are just plain sick of bennifer! Guess what, they are no longer together. Give this movie a chance. If you anyone sees this movie and does not like a little bit, then you are a scrooge! It was predictable but so was "It's a Wonderful Life." Almost anything that is not a mystery is predictable in one way or the other. I liked that Ben's character fell for Christina's character, that made it sweet. The film never dragged and the acting was far beyond terrible. In many ways, this film is endearing and has all the qualities of a good holiday family film.

Sweet Little Movie

Author: gkeith_1
28 November 2004

A sweet little movie. Affleck delightful by the end; earlier pretty grating and a little selfish. A good character study, though. The girl with the Cartier bracelet let me down at the end, though. I didn't expect her to get all bratty and say "I'm gonna keep this bracelet" (or something like that). Alicia had her head on straight. I figured Ben and family would be friends by the end of the movie, and I was right. Doo Dah and understudy were very good and very funny. The dad hitting Ben over the head with the snow shovel was priceless. A weak part, I felt, was when Ben (Drew) told Alicia he really had no parents, and about what had happened to them. Ah well, a delightful respite at our local discount theatre.

Very sweet and cute

Author: sharon_hunt from North East
24 October 2004

The movie got terrible reviews, but I like Ben Affleck so I went to see it and was glad I did. The movie was so much better than I thought it would be. There were a few awkward moments, mainly around the son of the family that is "rented" by Ben's character. But other than that, the movie was funny and moved with a quick jolly pace. Plus, it's a Christmas movie, so it had cheery cinematography and and a score with nice classical Christmas music.

Ben Affleck's comedy timing and character reminded me a lot of Jersey Girl. I loved the chemistry between him and Christina Applegate. If you're a Ben Affleck fan, I think you'll like the movie. But if you're not, you may not like the unnecessary raunchiness and it may be worth only the price of a rental.

A family must see movie!

Author: njterry2u from Pine Hill, NJ
22 October 2004

Ben Affleck proves in Surviving Christmas that he can act and make us laugh.

The audience laughed during most of the movie. I found the movie light, entertaining and a refreshing change from the serious, bloody, mind boggling movies that seem to grace our movie theaters on a weekly basis.

I would recommend this movie to families for a Holiday outing that will make them laugh and give them some thought about the upcoming stressful holiday season. There is no behind the scenes message to decipher or "who done it" to figure out, just a good entertainment.

The cast in this movie was well rounded and a good mix. Who thought Ben Affleck and James Gandolfini could make us laugh! Christina Applegate is always a pleasure to watch and kudos to the mom and brother in the movie.

So, if your looking for something you can do as a family, this is the movie for you. Hopefully we will see Ben do more movies like this one.

Every Christmas movie cliché or your money back

Author: Sandcooler from Belgium
17 December 2010

What can I possibly say about "Surviving Christmas" that you can't already figure out from the poster? It's going to be wacky, it's going to be wild, and it will never even get close to being remotely funny. And at the end we all get to learn something about Christmas, usually something that involves a lot of cheesy sentimental music. Much like poisonous plants are usually bitter, Christmas movies usually have terrible posters, trailers and titles. People who hated this sorta had it coming. I for one quite like this kind of trash, it always manages to entertain me. Ben Affleck's performance is horrible beyond belief, but that's all just part of the schtick. Besides, he's still more tolerable than the usual hasbeens you see in this genre, he's so awful it almost feels as if he's doing it on purpose. The supporting cast is actually pretty neat, how did they get these people with this script? James Gandolfini, Christina Applegate, Katherine O'Hara, what in the name? Tony freakin' Soprano doing hackneyed material about Christmas hats, it has an indescribable charm. This movie is bad, but that shouldn't stop anyone from enjoying it.

Surviving Christmas is way better than the movie reviewers reviewed it!

Author: Melissa G from Calgary, AB, Canada
5 February 2005

Surviving Christmas is a really really funny movie. But I can't believe that it was released from theatres to OWN in like 3 months. There was one really annoying lady that was siting in front of my family at the theatre laughing at almost everything. The movie was really funny, but not that funny. Also, I can't believe that Ben Affleck was nominated for a RAZZI award(bad award) for this movie. I thought that this was one of his best movies, putting aside Gigli. The whole cast was great. The family in the movie acted the proper way as they should in real-life. I can't find this movie anywhere in Calgary to buy except Superstore. My dad and I saw the box to rent it at a Rogers' Video store and we couldn't believe that it was so soon. I said that it couldn't be out to own already(late December) as we had seen it in theaters about a month ago. But I searched on the internet and found it. It is worth the $6CAD rental fee or the $25.83CAD to purchase it. I'm going to buy it this coming Friday(Feb. 11).

Page 8 of 12: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]