IMDb > "Strong Medicine" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Strong Medicine"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Strong Medicine" More at IMDbPro »

This is such a great show

Author: kitty24shoes2000 from United States
9 March 2005

It is the best show every on small screen. Rosa Blasi (Dr. Lu Delgato) and Patricia Richardson (Dr. Andy Campell) are great actors!!!. When Rosa Blasi yells you want to hide, when Patrica turns serious or worries, you are dying to know what is the matter. I know I have cried numerous times during the show. You can watch any episode and know what is happening. That one episode you watch, will not be your last...I guarantee!! Everything that happens is so realistic!!!!! I love that show. Jenifer Hawkins (Lana) is so wonderful!! Peter and Lanna's story can be the funniest and coolest part of the show. I know almost anyone who watches it will love it!!!

Powerful Stuff

Author: Juliet Gabriella Kaleigh from Ireland
20 August 2000

I like this show. It's real. It shows you what being a doctor is like, and how the patients deal with their doctors, and how they handle things. The first episode really pulled you in, I plan to watch it every week. I think people should really check this show out.

Excellent series

Author: pennywise55b from Canada
31 January 2005

Strong Medicine is an intelligent drama dealing with issues from a women's perspective, not seen very often on TV. The story lines are full of thoughtfully resolved problems that I have experienced in my life. I can see if I were younger, it would help me understand why things go the way they do in life. I like the various characters, and the wide diversity in terms of their ethnic and economic background. I also like that they generally support each other, develop friendships, and understand them. The characters are not cardboard, and I really wish it were put on network television. It was hard to find it, and the friends I've recommended it to, love it as well. I'm glad there is not too much gore, as the ER series has started to have, so I can learn about hospital life without seeing body parts and lots of blood.

Overlook the flaws and be entertained!

Author: dodgerdiva from California
4 February 2005

Yup, Strong Medicine does go "over the top" frequently, but what hospital show or courtroom or detective/police drama hasn't? And yes, it also flaunts a decidedly feminist perspective, but what else would you expect from Whoopi Goldberg on Lifetime TV?

Strong Medicine is not intended to reflect reality all the time, because if it did, it would either be too gory or too boring to have entertainment value. The acting is very credible, the writing is creative and sensitive and the direction is first-rate though not unusually clever for an emergency room show.

Rittenhouse Hospital doesn't exist (I did a quick search) and its characters and patients are fictitious. But the entertainment industry asks us to suspend our logic and common sense every day for the sake of, well...being entertained. And we do it gladly.

So sit back and relax and watch "Lu", "Andy Campbell" and the rest of the Rittenhouse staff tackle fascinating women's health issues with their usual confidence, expertise and sense of humor -- and OK, a bit more schmaltz and drama, just for fun.

entertaining, albeit typical Lifetime fare

Author: blanche-2 from United States
6 March 2005

Produced by Whoopi Goldberg, Strong Medicine is an immensely popular show, currently starring Rosa Blasi and Patricia Richardson. Both are very strong actresses. The rest of the cast is peppered with interesting characters and good acting as well. Jenifer Hawkins is particularly enjoyable as Lana, who always speaks of herself in the third person. The talented Phil Casnoff plays the head of the hospital.

Strong Medicine is a real women's show, and why not - it's on Lifetime, after all. It's preachy and talky as all get-out. Somehow it manages to entertain quite often with compelling stories. It just hits its messages a little too hard. But I imagine if you don't have much medical education and you're a fan of this show's, you've picked up a lot of valuable information. That is, after all, one of its objectives, and it succeeds admirably.

Rosa Blasi is the best actress ever!

Author: kim122384 from Racine, WI USA
23 March 2004

This show is the best show ever.. Rosa Blasi is the best actress ever! I hope the show is on for years to come. I also hope that Janine Turner will guest star on this seasons in at least one show, because that would be the best guest star ever on the show! A lot of fans miss her and would love to see her back on the show even if it is just for one episode! Also I would like to say that I will watch this show for as long as it is on, because there is no other show quite like it! I mean who doesn't want a doctor just like Lu? I know that if my doctor was just like Lu I would never be hesitant to go and get checked out! Even a doctor like Dana would be great or even Andy! I mean they are all wonderful doctors! Also Christopher does a great job as Mark! Who doesn't want a son like Mark? Lu and Mark are like the perfect family even though there is no father in the house! They don't need one!

Great show

Author: thelibrarian_oook from United States
15 June 2005

Why is it that as soon as a strong woman character or story lines relating specifically women, it's "feminist propaganda" and the characters are seen as blazing uber-women who obliterate men with single word? God forbid we have strong women characters on television in stories dedicated to women's health.

The show does have its faults (can often be over-the-top, cheesy, and things wrap up a tad conveniently), but it's still a great show. Good mix of humor and drama, and the stories have consistently gotten better as it progressed. It's nice to see women's health issues having some more light shed on them, in particular the story of Lu's rape was very well done and poignant. Well done!

Strong Medicine is the most moving and compelling show out there!

Author: Amanda (Charlies_girl7681@yahoo.com) from Dubuque Iowa
27 October 2002

'Strong Medicine' deals with the latest medical findings and procedures. I think that the best part about the show is, other than the great actors, is that Whoopi Goldberg and Tammy Ader (executive producers) appointed the lead characters to be women, very different women. At the end of the show, people get to see the points of view from the down-to-earth free clinic doctor Luisa (Lu) Delgado, played by Emmy nominee Rosa Blasi, and her partner, the high ranking, Dr. Dana Stowe, played by Emmy winner Janine Turner. The acting is superb! The supporting cast has won numerous awards for their work in various shows and movies. People are not blasted over the head with the show saying this is the answer at the end people can think; well I wonder what the answer really is. In every episode I promise that you probably won't make it through without crying. The show also has many funny characters that lighten the mood. Strong Medicine helps you understand what goes on in a hospital and what an ER, OBGYN doctor's day is like, including their personal lives. Right now the show includes doctor who just adopted two children, and another is trying to recover from her . If you are even the slightest bit curious about hospitals or a dramatic show, this is the one for you. Strong Medicine is on Lifetime 8:00 pm Sundays.

Could've been a GREAT show, but... Ergh!

Author: mizunoakashi from Chile
27 April 2007

Sorry to burst your bubble, thelibrarian_oook, but the other commenter HAD a point. Strong Medicine's greatest flaw is its absolute misandry, since men are too often portrayed as being either too evil or too stupid to be real and women are practically always right and perfect whether they're victims or justice fighters.

One example was the ridiculous break-up of Andy and Leslie, where a man who was an excellent person and even better husband for 30 years was transformed into an angry bastard for the sake of Andy angst. I felt cheated about such a thing, anbd since then I skipped all the parts referring to it. Another example is Dr. Bob Jackson, always opposing to Lu and practically ALWAYS losing to a man lady who started out very well and ended up as a borderline Mary Sue, always screaming and always being right and never really learning a lesson if she was not.

Remember, script writers! Wimpification and villanization of men =/= empowerment of women. I'm a female and a feminist, but I HATE how show writers think that feminism is about forcing the stupid and evil men to bow to the power of the holy vagina. Misandry is just as bad as misogyny and the reason why feminists aren't taken seriously.

--- Maria.

Rosa Blasi is the best actress ever!

Author: kim122384 from Racine, WI USA
23 March 2004

This show is the best show ever.. Rosa Blasi is the best actress ever! I hope the show is on for years to come and I hope the rumor that Mark is killed off in season 5 is not true! I also hope that Janine Turner will guest star on this seasons in at least one show, because that would be the best guest star ever on the show! A lot of fans miss her and would love to see her back on the show even if it is just for one episode! Also I would like to say that I will watch this show for as long as it is on, because there is no other show quite like it! I mean who doesnt want a doctor just like Lu? I know that if my doctor was just like Lu I would never be hesitant to go and get checked out! Even a doctor like Dana would be great or even Andy! I mean they are all wonderful doctors!