IMDb > "Big Brother" (2000/II) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Big Brother"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Big Brother" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Dan Gheesling...Big Brother's Greatest Player?

Author: lonenote from Canada
22 September 2008

When Big Brother 10 began, Brian and Dan swiftly aligned themselves with one another making a pact to go to the end. Unfortunately, the end came fast and furious for Brian, aka The Puppet Master, who was evicted from the house that very first week. Most houseguests, after commencing the game with a blow that harsh to the solar plexus might as well have packed their bags and followed suit. Most houseguests would have become next week's target and forced to do exactly that. Dan Gheesling isn't like most houseguests. Not only did Dan endure the second week, but he endured all the weeks, emerging as the winner of Big Brother 10 in a unanimous seven to zero win for that coveted half a million dollars.

Realizing he had some bridges to repair, Dan quickly relocated into a calm, quiet presence in the house letting drama kings and queens like Jessie and Renny take centre stage. His strategy worked. The spotlight was off him. His alliance with Brian on the back burner of everyone's mind. He was safe.

Week after week, Dan played the physically feeble competitor, forgoing POV wins, HOH wins, allowing others to shine and become targeted. Steven and Angie were the new targets and they respectfully followed Brian's exit out the Big Brother house.

Then came week four. The week of the twist. The week of America's Player. The week Dan started on his journey to become the best player of this season. He accepted the challenge of America's Player; not only completing all the required tasks, but surviving speculation and accusations by Libra and Michelle that he was a plant. And still, the charming Catholic school teacher wasn't targeted. The opposite happened. He became the vote everyone wanted.

Both sides of the house came at him. Which one would he side with? The one's determined to kick Memphis out the door, or those gunning for Jessie? Fortunately, America made the decision for him in voting out Jessie thus aligning himself with Memphis to create the unstoppable Renegades. Afterwards there was no stopping Dan. He played the house expertly. He knew his house mates inside and out and his strategy was unquestionably brilliant.

Dan never fell into the trap the others did. He kept his emotions in check. His temper guarded. His tongue was soothing and charming instead of dripping with venom. When Jerry was outing him as "Judas" to one and all he never retaliated. He let it all roll off his back, and rose above the catty name calling, the verbal abuse, and the threats. When he chanced the potentially backfiring game of Replacement POV Roulette he still remained calm under fire.

Ollie was riding high on his so-called untitled HOH win with the three part deal he had with Dan. The problem with a deal like that is you're one hundred percent dependent on the other party holding up their end of the bargain. Dan isn't The Man for nothing. He made Ollie think he was the fool, when in reality he was playing Ollie for the fool. Not only did he backdoor Michelle, he sent Ollie packing the very next moment. It was pure genius. His every move had you on the edge of your seat, chewing at your nails in anticipation of the outcome.

After that there was no hiding in shadows. He dominated the challenges, scraped through being on the block, took the impossible and made it happen, rescued the Renegades time and time again. He not only said what everyone wanted to hear, he made them believe he meant it. And even though it was Renegades to the end there could be only one Renegade who would walk away with the cash, and there was no way that Renegade could be anyone one other than Dan.

It was a win truly deserved by a player who truly played the game. Is Dan the best player of the season, or the best player in Big Brother history? In my eyes he'll always be epitome of Big Brother. Every player from here on will be looking to Dan's gameplay to reach the coveted final prize. Dan, you are truly The Man.

Einsteinian

Author: Polly Puddin from United States
26 June 2015

I watched this show for ten minutes and lost 20 points off my IQ. While I don't even think the people who like this show (who must be among the world's stupidest) could possible see this as "reality," the truth is that the "actors" appearing here are all arrogant, narcissistic, self-centered, unintelligible morons. Celebrity wannabes (who never will be) without a shred of self respect willing to humiliate and denigrate themselves all because they think they will be he next Kardashian (and what a lofty goal that is). The host Julie Chen (who also happens to be married to the Pres. and CEO of CBS - and the only reason this nitwit is still on the air) does unintentionally bring comic relief by actually thinking this show is relevant in any way. Does she even know that this gig has made her the butt of a lot of jokes? Maybe her next husband should be the Pres. and CEO of HBO so at least she can be the worst part of a more prestigious show. Exhibit some self respect and stop patronizing these gutter level shows.

Rigged

Author: jm29294444
15 July 2016

Every season for the last few seasons when a favorite house guest is in danger of going he or she always wins HOH or POV and if not that there given a special power or twist happens to save them, last it's been know production ties the hands of house guests so there force to vote out certain house guests over other house guests.

This show is becoming more and more rigged with each passing season.

Also they casting the same types of house guests season after season young and almost never anyone over 40 and for the last few season there always one house guest who related to a past house guest from a past season. The show is on life support but enough viewers keep watching it so it keeps returning season after season.

Endearing to a degree.

Author: redber from Canada
17 February 2017

Can be a nice summer pastime being on 3 times a week. Some season's have impact, others are just distasteful. It comes down to the appeal of the cast. A lot has been said about the weak casting in recent years. To me it hasn't gone weaker or even younger, just more naive. The concept of the show is very interesting. Some season's show the potential of big brother, like season 2, season 3, all-stars, season 14 and season 17, just to name a few of the marginally good seasons. But every year has it's redundancy. Season 2 was and has been the only season where there wasn't any twists, it was the only season pertained to legitimate natural game. After that, the veto was introduced in season 3 and special powers were in future season's also. Why the ratings have dipped the past few years is because of the overabundance of twists.

They say expect the unexpected, but production doesn't always surprise the house-guests very well when (for example) only 8 contestants walk in and the other 6 are more than likely significant others. When production brings back returning house-guests, like they did in season's 13,14 and 18, they try to protect them using game twists in order to even the playing field. Me personally, the mixed cast's are all about whether these returning players can fair being at a disadvantage. Production gets involved way too often. In season 18, a player could've been evicted 4 times. As a result a lot of the naive game play is to the effect of playing the twists. With things like the roadkill, the battle of the block and separate teams contriving in the set-up, the viewers (which are mostly casual one's) are instantly turned off and confused by it. Reality TV has plummeted, but Big Brother has shot itself in the foot from being one of the platinum reality programs.

I wish for a revamp of the game where it can retain a consistent conception such as: 12-14 house-guests enter (no blood relatives or friends). 12-14 'complete strangers' enter the house and compete for the grand prize. 70-80 days as a potential seasonal length, no buy-backs and no double evictions. I also feel the POV competition should be in the same as it is for the HOH. You have 1 comp where the house-guests battle for either the HOH or POV at the same time. They need to simplify the game so that luck is not involved and better competitions are created to pin players against each other.

I have an obsessive love for this show, over the years I can't help but tune in most of the season's, it's just become a game that nobody understands because the playing field is always unbalanced. The only game twist I liked was bringing in coaches, it reminded my of the voice and it's a game set-up I would like to see again if they can stick to it for a full season. It's just when the cast's are so big and there are so many comps and twists, the episodes air so little of what is actually going on inside the house. You don't see any gaming after the final 4, that last week with the final 3 is unseen footage now. The finale is to crammed, not every jury member gets to ask a question, as a result the wrong winner wins most of the time and the 3rd place finisher gets nothing despite only being 20 minutes short of any big-time cash. The casual viewers who don't watch the feeds aren't getting a legitimate perspective of the house's interior. If the game were to be simplified it would become something people talk about and actually take seriously.

don't spend your time watching this crappy piece of reality junk.

Author: miamicocount from Pennsylvania
8 August 2016

At first, i LOVED Big Brother, i would watch it every week and i even remember it back in the 2000's. the reality was good, showmances, production was what really made it watchable, fast forward into 2010's it gone down hill, REALLY DOWN HILL. the reality got shitty the cast makes me want to vomit, production is terrible, it made me stop watching this! trust me when i say please watch a reality game show that is actually watchable! (Amazing Race, Survivor) don't spend 1-2 hours of the night watching this crap! please! SCREW YOU BIG BROTHER! i hope you get cancelled! (honest truth). so i am giving this a 2 for all the reasons i mentioned. and to those who like this show, wow. just plain wow.

I Love this show

Author: johnsyaface from United States
6 July 2006

Big Brother is a mixture of Survivor and the Real World. Its about how a group of people called "Housemates" live in a "house" and are isolated from any sorts of technology for the summer to compete against each other to win the HOH(head of household) and the power of veto thru numerous of competitions. The house guest who wins HOH will have the right to nominate two houesguests to be evicted out from the house. With the power of veto, the holder of it could choose to use it on one of the evictees to save them from possible eviction. The same process occurs every week until one is left standing and 500,000 dollars richer. I started watching Big Brother around 3 years ago, and I have seen many improvements and twists added to the show. Like last year, when 12-14 house guests were playing secretly with their friend/boyfriend/girlfriend/best friend etc. Last years edition I consider one of the best, because of the "Cat with 9 lives" James who had won the power of veto a recorded 4 times. Also Kaysar and Jannele were terrific players, because Kaysar was a fan favorite and the "brains" of Big Brother 6. As Jannele was a combination of Kaysar and James. Another memorable Big Brother moment was Nakomis's 6 finger plan, also known as backdooring, where she finally got Jase evicted from the house. This show is really great to watch because its fun to watch how people will do anything for 500,000 dollars, which include lieing, backstabbing, back dooring, and the list goes on. If you want to watch Big Brother 7 All Stars tune in on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays at 8 o clock on CBS on the West Coast. In conclusion Big Brother is an excellent show and I hope I will be a future contestant.

best show ever

Author: jakeb_ricks from ardmore ok
3 July 2016

Big Brother one of the best shows ever I'm so glad I joined in by 7 so I watch it all the time every time it's all I'm sitting down enjoying the show it's very good very itchy any kind of keeps you on your feet and every episode the seat and the episode is all very fun the show is very funny and very comical why on some occasions would like to Zumba and everything else but big brother does not think have any problems with me I think that big brother is one of the best and funniest shows and one of the best reality TV shows inside CBS production I give them a round of applause I have funny and Hugh McColl the thing is and it is pretty funny that they do a lot of their school I love your stuff on Big Brother I think that some of it is pretty darn good for competitions have changed the players have changed the strategies have changed pretty much everything has changed and where some of the competitions can sometimes not be playing anymore they would always change up the competition's to make it way better and way funnier no matter what you do you can always fall in love with big brother it's no longer blend and some of its taste is funny as hell it's way the strategies is what

Be prepared for a loss of privacy!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
18 July 2013

If you think that Survivor was such a show where you love your privacy, than Big Brother increases it. As there are internet and TV cameras that are all over he place. When and where you are not also cut off from the real world.

Meaning no TV, no radio, no internet, nothing. As you are there 24/7 with a lot of cameras and no privacy. For there are people from thirteen different states with nothing in common.

Yes it involves backstabbing, lying, and pointing fingers. This season, as in 2013, is very controversial. Due to the racist remarks including, one contestant a model who lost her job due to them. As they forget that the cameras are on and we the audience, aka Big Brother is watching.

Would not want to be on that show thank you very much. As love my privacy too much.

Love it

Author: emilyanderson-92263 from US
13 April 2016

Big Brother is one of the most interesting, keep you on the edge of your seat, type of shows. There are constant changes and emotional roller coasters you witness, and experience. You will see weekly mental and physical challenges that the house guests compete in for power. The season lasts the whole summer. When reviewing any TV show I look at the following criteria: Drama, entertainment, casting/acting, quality, and storyline.

The drama in this show is non-stop. There is constant backstabbing, unexpected alliances, lying, and deceiving behavior. You watch the house guests as they try to gain the power for the week. These are the kind of events that make you want to come back and watch week after week. I would definitely rate this very highly in the drama category.

In the entertainment category, I believe they do a great job with keeping me engaged and watching. This is because I love watching dramatic shows, such as The Bachelor. For me, entertainment and drama go hand in hand, because a show with a lot of conflict and unexpected twists and turns keeps me entertained throughout the whole viewing. If you don't enjoy the drama and deceiving, then this is probably not the show for you. When looking at the casting of TV shows I become very picky. Big Brother producers cast 12 people to start out in the house. If a show does not have the right characters to fill characteristics needed, then it is already not going to do very nice job of mixing up different types of people. They spends endless hours doing so because it creates more conflict if they add conflicting personalities. This is quite strategic, actually, because they are constantly trying to make the most drama filled season possible. The quality of a TV show is very important to the overall effect. The goal is to make it look as realistic as possible, in the sense that you are actually there. A very low budget program loses its realistic qualities because they couldn't afford the technology to do so. Big Brother obviously has a big budget for filming because the quality is very good. I would rate this aspect a 10/10 on quality and high definition. Finally, I look at storyline/over all point. This program has a very clear story line; create relationships, win competitions, and work your way to the top. Winning yourself $500,000. This category is very important because you can have great actors, budget, and props, but if you don't have a good storyline the show won't be good at all. The fan base of Big Brother is so large, it is obvious the storyline of this show is a success. In conclusion, Big Brother would definitely be a show I would recommend. It is dramatic, interesting, entertaining, and unpredictable. All of these qualities are great to have an any show. Easily a 9/10.

an excruciating show of human dominoes

Author: SN51431 from Manhattan
27 September 2015

Big Brother is one of the most vacuous shows I have ever seen on television. It is a classic example of what Newton Minow referred to when he said, "I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland." The show consists of about a dozen people who live together in a house and they scheme and make frivolous and childish "alliances" to remain in the house week after week without being "evicted" to get to the end where one person wins $500,000. They also have to perform in various competitions which can keep them safe until the next week or save them if they are "on the block." And a few have tedious "showmances." Other than that, the show is totally devoid of content. The house guests seem to never engage in intelligent conversations or to even discuss anything interesting. They don't talk about art, history, politics, theater, classic films, or books. But, they sit day after day talking about nonsense that almost never moves beyond who should "go home" next or who should be "back doored." The show is an excruciating insult to intelligence. Yes, I can change the channel and not watch... but you have to wonder what Bill Paley would think of this hot mess.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]