WCW Thunder (TV Series 1998–2001) Poster

(1998–2001)

8 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
WCW copies WWE and fails
metalrox_200011 October 2005
Thunder was produced for one reason, to capture an audience that thirsted for wrestling on Thursday nights, but since UPN wasn't available on all cable systems, they couldn't get WWE Smackdown. Thunder tried to be different then Nitro, airing on TBS. THough there would be an occasional shock, or shoot style promo, Thunder was overall a lackluster show, featuring many b level wrestlers that weren't ready for prime time. The show was a desperate attempt to stop the momentum the WWE was gaining, and it failed bad. Whereas WCW could have used Nitro to promote it's cruiserwiehgt division, thus using the bigger names to garner ratings and interest could have made the show something. It soon looked like WCW lost all interest in the show, and instead of a prime time show, it would soon feel like it was nothing more then a House show that was dressed up for TV purposes. After a while, UPN was more available, and Thunder was completely forgotten.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Whilst It Lasted
Big Movie Fan5 January 2003
WCW Thunder made it's debut in 1998 when WCW was the number one promotion in the United States (with the WWF trailing second). At first, I couldn't see how another two hour show could survive given that there was the two/three hour Nitro on Mondays, syndicated programmes and a WCW PPV every month of the year;but Thunder (shown on Thursdays) complimented Monday Nitro very well.

There were some great matches on Thunder during it's early year. However, in late 1998 up until 2001 (when WCW was sold to the WWF), the shows were not very good because the entire WCW product was no good. WCW from late 1998 to March 2001 was a real chore to sit through and was the most confusing and poorly booked wrestling organisation in the world. In March of 2001, it was finally put out of it's misery.

All in all, WCW Thunder was a good show initially. If WCW hadn't become such a crap organisation then I am sure Thunder would still be on today complimenting Monday Nitro very well. If you do decide to track down any episodes of Thunder, then I would recommend looking for 1998 episodes only.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
WCW Thunder!
Movie Nuttball14 December 2003
WCW Thunder which I believe was originally titled WCW Thursday Thunder but since they changed the airing date to Wednesday they titled it to just WCW Thunder but again I believe it was aired back on Thursdays again. I know they had it back and forth! The program didn't always have huge matches but it would occasionally! It would mostly have matches of the other wrestlers you didn't see on WCW Nitro! There were some cool moments on this show however and I would try My best not to miss it!
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thunder is on the Air
Hollywood11 July 2000
Thunder is WCW's second most popular show - after Nitro. It's a weekly show that can only be seen on TBS on Wednesdays. All the top stars of WCW are present and frequent title matches take place on Thunder, although not as much as Nitro. It's a good show..definately the best way to spend a Wednesday evening. Tony Schiavone is your host, along with Bobby The Brain Heenan and the Professor Mike Tenay.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A pretty decent WCW show,although not as good as Nitro, I still enjoyed watching it every now and then
callanvass22 January 2006
This is a pretty decent WCW show, although not as good as Nitro, I still enjoyed watching it every now and then. I wasn't really a big WCW fan, however when WWE wasn't on I used to watch it, and rather enjoyed it, but I just didn't like the way it was run,and it didn't really have that good matches, although it did every once and a while. Nitro itself wasn't that great, but compared to Thunder it was, now i'm not saying Thunder was bad, it was just mediocre, plus It got really bad around 2000, because it was full of washed up old wrestlers like Kevin Nash, Hulk Hogan, Scott Hall, etc etc. As I said in my Nitro review they really should have developed there own wrestlers like WWE did, instead they just signed all of the released WWE stars, and while that worked for about 88 weeks, WWE won in the long haul, plus a lot of the angles were quite stupid, and Vince Russo certainly didn't help!. This is a pretty decent WWE show, although not as good as Nitro, I still enjoyed watching it every now and then. **1/2 out of 5
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thank god this show, as well as WCW is dead!
dootuss2 February 2002
Like Nitro, Thunder stunk bad. The entire 2 hour block like Nitro just has a retarded plot, with your washed up old fogey wrestlers who think they still have it. NOT!!! Thank god WWF bought those idiots out! Besides, WWF IS THE KING OF WRESTLING!!
0 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not the greatest wrestling show but still good
Andrew Benjamin24 December 2001
WCW Thunder is not as good as WWF but WCW Thunder is definitly better than WCW Monday Nitro. This TV series was unfortunately canceled because of the WCW buy out by WWF. This show had great story lines and once in a while good wrestling. I definitly liked the opening theme.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this