IMDb > W.C. Fields: Straight Up (1986) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

W.C. Fields: Straight Up (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A wonderful compilation of his best bits from his best films.

Author: Robert Mandzi from Anchorage, Alaska
27 July 2000

If you are a W. C. Fields fan as I am, this compilation contains many of the parts we wait for when we watch his feature films. If you are new to his work, this will surely inspire you to see more of him by renting The Bank Dick, It's a Gift, or other classics excerpted here.

Even if you are familiar with Field's features, this documentary contains material you may not have seen, including clips from his silent films and from his early talkie shorts for Mack Sennett.

The interviews, including critic Leonard Maltin and Field's grandson/biographer, are informative without being intrusive. They add to the appreciation of what we are watching for - Fields in action.

Good celebration of the man

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
20 December 2009

Full disclosure: I just read two biographies of Fields and another book about Hollywood that he was a big part of. To that end my feeling are colored by knowing almost too much.

Good retrospective of the work of WC Fields. Narrated by Dudley Moore this is an overview of Fields life and films. Its full of great clips and remembrances by friends and relatives. If you are just coming upon Fields for the first time this is a very good place to start. Its also very good if you want a greatest hits clip reel.

On the other hand if you are looking for more on the great man than just a cursory over view look else where. Yes this will tell you the basics but at the same time I learned more from the A&E biography program thats included in on of the Fields box sets. This is more a celebration then a s detailed look, which id fine. I re-fell in love with Fields when this originally aired on TV. However in the intervening years, and in the last few months in particular I've been delving in to Fields and I find this wasn't a great as I once thought.

That said watching it again for the first time in a decade or do I find that I did enjoy watching this again. It is a solid little film. I just wish it was a more complete biography.

Worth a look.

A Quart Of Whiskey A Day!!!!!! Holy Mother Mary!

Author: johnstonjames from United States
24 March 2010

W.C. Fields drank a quart of whiskey a day. Jesus. that would kill most of us in a week. that's what this doc alleges. like Rob Thomas of MB20 said "straight up what did you hope to learn about here?" i don't know exactly, but i didn't expect to be that freaked out. A QUART OF WHISKEY A DAY! are they sure about this? i don't think that's humanly possible, but i'm not going to put it to a test and try it at home.

W.C. Fields(a.k.a Humpty Dumpty) was one of entertainments best comedians and still is. you don't get much better then Fields,Chaplin,the Marx Bros.,or even the Stoogies, i don't care how hip you think you are, these guys will always be the best.

i can't say this is a documentary that will change anyone's life like say the Oscar winning 'Taxi to the Darkside', but it was a lot of fun. did anyone note the obvious similarities between Baby LeRoy and Leonard Maltin? the only difference is Baby LeRoy was probably more mature.