IMDb > A Muppet Family Christmas (1987) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Muppet Family Christmas (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Original TV version

Author: happy_gurl_2003 from Canada
10 July 2004

This movie is awesome! My mom taped it off the TV when I was about 2 years old and I started watching it when I was 4 and have loved it ever since! It is one of the funniest Christmas specials I have ever seen. I mean, who doesn't love that scene were Miss Piggy was coming up the steps and slips and all the characters yelled "Careful of the icy patch!" :D

That being said, I have read numerous comments on amazon.com that the new version that was on video and DVD has been cut. So needless to say, I think I will stick to my taped copy, even with the old Toys "R" Us commercials on it.

It is especially wonderful to see Mr. Jim Henson make an appearance at the end of it. I miss him so much! I mean if you watch the new movies and videos that the Muppets are in, you will notice Kermit's voice is different.

Anyways, I believe everyone should watch this wonderful holiday classic, but if you are thinking of buying it on DVD or video, DON'T! Stick to your taped-off-the-TV copy if you have one.

Awesome

Author: picklesandcreamca from Canada
13 November 2002

It is not Christmas without this movie, i just wish the full version could be found. I have two different versions one I bought, the other taped. The one I bought has an extra scene that the taped doesn't have, but the taped one has an extra scene that the video doesn't. I LOVE THIS MOVIE. I can watch it all year. We need a little Christmas, right this very minute....

An awesome Christmas special

Author: Kristen (pagirl5755@aol.com) from Philadelphia, PA
28 November 2000

I remember seeing this special when I was younger and I recently acquired the video. I've watched it a few times already. It's so cute and involves all the muppet characters (including fraggles and Sesame Street characters). My favourite parts are when the turkey tries to 'woo' Camilla and when the Swedish Chef tries to cook Big Bird. It's very amusing. And of course, Miss Piggy must make a grand entrance! I highly recommend this movie if you are in a giddy or childish mood. Every child I know enjoys this video.

a very enjoyable holiday special

Author: stakes
29 November 2002

Having seen this for the first time as a child, and subsequently grown up watching it several more times, A Muppet Family Christmas has become my favorite Christmas TV special.

There is a lot of charm and joy to be found in this 40-odd minute show. Muppet fans will truly appreciate this, if for no other reason than the mass gathering of literally every single Muppet Show, Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock character, and a cameo appearance by the late Jim Henson himself, surveying his creations as they celebrate the season. Even for those who aren't Muppet fans but suffer from Christmas fever, this should prove enjoyable, with many heart-warming sequences and several Christmas songs performed.

A Muppet Family Christmas contains it's share of the usual Muppet moments of charm and wit, but it succeeds most by simply being a feel-good holiday special. It is the perfect show for the season.

A Christmas essential...

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
1 August 2011

I love Sesame Street and The Muppets, and I love this special. It is still among the best work the Muppet and Sesame Street clan have done, and is a must for the Christmas season. And I do concur, like Scrooge, the first two Home Alones, Muppet Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th Street(the original) and It's a Wonderful Life, Christmas is incomplete without A Muppet Family Christmas. The story is heart warming, and the writing is always witty and funny as well as being accessible to children and adults. The production values, from the costume and set design to the photography, are splendid, and the festive tunes are delightful and not only lift the spirits but make you want to sing along, both of which is exactly what they should do. The characters are cute and engaging and serve a purpose to the story, while the acting and voice work is spot on. All in all, essential for "the most wonderful time of the year". 10/10 Bethany Cox

A memorable Muppet Christmas TV movie.

Author: emasterslake from United States
24 November 2006

I first saw this on Nickeleon(the old school one from the early 90s) during the holidays.

I really liked this one, because it has a lot of your favorite Muppets all gathered up for Christmas at Fozzie's mother's farmhouse, who didn't expected her own son to bring company over.

While Doc(from Fraggle Rock) was expected to have a quiet Christmas, but finds the farmhouse to be packed with Muppets. And to make it more interesting the entire Sesame Street Muppet gang came all the way from new york to celebrate with them.

And not to mention the 5 main Fraggles from Fraggle Rock, who know little about Christmas also decide to join the fun. With these many Muppets all under on roof, you'll be sure to expect one enjoyable Christmas TV movie.

With some Chirstmas Carols, and jokes. I'm sure any Muppet Fan will be pleased with this TV special. The cool thing is this was made when Jim was still around. He even made a cameo at the end just cause it's the holidays. I re watched this off of the recent DVD release which had a few minutes cut out of it. Cause I remember some extended scenes that were included in the TV version.

Hopefully one day there'll be an uncut DVD of this fine Christmas program. If Jim were still alive, he'd be sure that this TV movie will remain uncut for everyone to enjoy.

Oh, this is new tradition material.

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
31 December 2016

"A Muppet Family Christmas" is just that sort of old-fashioned TV special that plays on all of the best aspects of Christmas. Simply out, it's a gathering of family, near and extended, in one place for the occasion. It's just that in this case it's the colliding worlds of the Muppets, Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock. The sight of these characters interacting is something in its own right, but the legal clearances required make it all the more remarkable. The stars really aligned for this.

All of the songs in this special are standards - those well-worn tunes that FM radio play right into the ground on an annual basis. But here, they're performed with a refreshing heart and a new sheen. Big Bird and Swedish Chef share (honest to god), the greatest duet. And by the time this draws to a close with an appearance from the late Jim Henson, the pitch perfect sentiment is enough to leave you in tears. Or at the very least, shot up with warmth and fuzziness. I smiled so widely it hurt.

I love this special.

Quintessential Christmas Movie . . . If You Can Get A Copy

Author: D_Burke from United States
25 December 2013

"A Muppet Family Christmas" is not only the greatest Muppet Christmas TV special ever made, but it is also the greatest Muppet TV special bar none. Some may even consider it the greatest Christmas TV special ever made.

"A Muppet Family Christmas" is so delightful to watch that you may not find yourself caring that the special really doesn't have a plot. Most of the adult Muppets (i.e. the ones from "The Muppet Show" (1976-1981)) accompany Fozzie Bear to his mother's country house, and they spend the rest of the special settling in and getting ready for Christmas.

That's pretty much the extent of the story. What makes this special . . . well . . . special is when more Muppets appear and crowd the house. First, there are most of the "Sesame Street" Muppets who come a-caroling, only to later make themselves at home.

Later, the Fraggles from "Fraggle Rock" appear below Ma Bear's house. Oh yeah, and those Muppet fans who are relatively unfamiliar with "Fraggle Rock" may not notice that the human who intended to rent Ma Bear's house for the holiday is none other than Doc (Gerard Parkes), who brought his dog Sprocket with him.

Muppet fans who are familiar with all three Muppet universes (or at least two) will find some surprising poignancy in these different characters interacting. I especially treasured scenes like Bert & Ernie engaging in "small talk" with Doc, or the Swedish Chef trying in vain to cook Big Bird only to reconsider after receiving a special gift. I also laughed when Rowlf and Sprocket speaking "dog".

To fully enjoy this special, it helps if you know most of the Muppet characters beforehand, which is a prerequisite almost all children of the 1970's and 1980's fulfilled effortlessly. I imagine children born after 1990 will know the "Sesame Street" characters, but not the others as much. Undoubtedly, they will wonder why Elmo didn't get more screen time.

"A Muppet Family Christmas" was actually one of Jim Henson's favorite specials on which he worked, and was even described by Henson biographer Brian Jay Jones as "one of (Henson's) finest, and most under-appreciated, productions". It's under-appreciated for a good reason: it has rarely been seen on TV in years, and is out of print on VHS and DVD.

Also because of music royalty issues, and because the "Muppet Show" Muppets are owned by Disney, the "Sesame Street" Muppets are owned by Sesame Workshop, and "Fraggle Rock" is owned by HIT Entertainment, the best chances of seeing this special are unfortunately by spending $50+ on a DVD copy on eBay or Amazon.

A special like this one, which Muppet fans love and some have even worn out their old VHS copy they taped from TV, deserves to be seen perennially, and obtaining a copy of it should not be difficult. In fact, there is a Facebook group dedicated to getting the special the DVD release it deserves, and the page is already "liked" by several cult followers (Campaign for Eventual "Muppet Family Christmas" DVD Release).

This special is very much like the holiday season: craziness and chaos abound, but it is nothing that good company, song, and the comfort of love and companionship can't make worthwhile. Just like the holiday season is one to which people look forward, they may have to wait longer to own a copy of this movie. However, if you find yourself lucky enough to get your hands on an uncut copy, consider yourself lucky.

Brilliant

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
13 December 2013

The Muppet gang are off to Fozzie's mother's house in the country for Christmas, she plans on going to Malibu and has already rented the house to Doc and Sprocket from Fraggle Rock, when Fozzie and his pals show up they decide to make it work. Meanwhile, Miss Piggy has been caught in a huge snowstorm and can't make it. I liked the crossover between the Muppets and Fraggle Rock but then the Sesame Street gang turn up too, and they find an old film reel of them as babies, so we get a live action Muppet Babies bit too, and then Kermit and Robin discover an actual Fraggle Hole in the basement and venture in for the first ever meeting of Muppet and Fraggle. Eventually Piggy arrives, as does Santa.

There's so much going on in this Xmas Special, it's 48 minutes long but packs in loads into the running time and is never boring for a single second. The Swedish Chef even considers cooking Big Bird for Christmas Dinner.

I think I'll make this part of my annual tradition now. It's so much better than that lame movie with Jason Segel, and just as good as A Muppet Christmas Carol.

Good watch for the holidays, occasionally funny

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
18 October 2013

This Muppet Christmas special from 1987 makes for an entertaining 47 minutes and that comes from somebody who's never really been too big on the Muppets. It had parts that really make me laugh and others that didn't really engage me at all. One of its strengths is certainly that it really includes almost everybody from the Muppet universe. It's a valid criticism for many Christmas specials that they leave out certain beloved characters, but not so this one. Whoever you favorite Muppet is, they will be included.

I especially liked the cinema scene where they watch a video from when they were baby Muppets together. It touched me to watch them sing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". From the emotional perspective, I also liked how Kermit kept worrying about Miss Piggy, although I've never really been a fan of her and how the cook enters his view of Big Bird as the Christmas meal after they sing together. Maureen the mink, the interaction between the two dogs and some other scenes provide nice comedic value and as a whole I recommend this short film. It has some nice Christmas numbers (the only one I didn't like was the rock version of Jingle Bells, should have gone on like it started with the two frogs singing) performed by the gang that will certainly get you into the mood for the holidays and I loved how harmonic the ending was. Recommended.