IMDb > How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 37: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Very cute

Author: cinebuffet from Portland, USA
23 December 2003

Okay this is not some deep, thought provoking movie that is going to move the depths of your soul and make you reexamine your life. It's entertainment and that is does very well. It is a very well crafted romantic comedy with some very good laughs. (8/10)

A light, modern classic

Author: benier from United States
9 November 2003

The spainish director Pedro Almadobar is famous for would be proud. If you read my other reviews you'll understand how specious I find american culture to be. But HTLAG10DAYS succeeds where "Sabrina" failed a few years ago. Helmer, Donald Petrie obviously has studied Pedro and american comedies from 60s and with the help of famed producer Robert Evans - he's created a light, modern classic. The perfomances by Matt McConaughey and Kate Hudson are worthy of predecedors like Tony Curtis and Natalie Wood. The plot was perfectly constructed to create the wonderful, calculated combustible ending. There is one outstanding weakness in this film and all American cinema, however. That is SEX. There is a dearth of honest Sexual Passion in American cinema. It is practically non-existent. And it is rather sad, actually. Indeed, that failure is what short circuits HTLAG10DAYS and will doom it to fade into Blockbuster oblivia.

But it will still be a light, modern classic. Good work.

exceeded expectations

Author: Bill (elshakiro)
2 November 2003

My girlfriend had to force me at gun point to watch this, and by the end, I'm glad she did.

The huge problem with the vast majority of people who review movies is that they over-analyze things. I don't know anything about character development or plot or anything else everybody professes to be an expert on in this page. What I do know is that this movie was light-hearted and fun to watch and THAT is really all that matters to me and the vast majority of people. Are the errors and problems with this film? Of course! BUT, it was a good movie and worth my 2 hours. Give it a try....and to all you supposed movie experts out there, please give it a rest.

watch it with your girl (boy) friend

Author: vladymirror from Japan
16 October 2003

I set about watching this movie with tons of reservations-I expected the worst. I mean starting from the title itself in combination with Matthew McConaughey it didn't look like the best choice for the evening. And what can I tell you: it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The plot at first glance seems completely contrived, bout on a second thought it looks plausible: a girl how has to make a guy break up with her in 10 days and a guy who has to make a girl fall in love with him in 10 days. And here they meet. Possible don't you think? And the rest was a lot of both Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey in overacting mood. Too sleazy.

Anyway, as I said I expected so much worse. With the exception of the end, which looked like the creators of the movie wanted to just finish the film as fast as possible, the rest was acceptable. 6.5 stars out of 10.

P.S. It would be double the fun if you watch it with your girlfriend (boyfriend).

weak

Author: esandfor
16 October 2003

I have to confess, I'm not a big fan of romantic comedies, but this one was worse than most. The only reason I didn't walk out in the middle of it was because I happened to see it on an airplane. I happen to like both Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey, so I expected a little more from this movie. I was quite disappointed.

I suppose if you're into this type of thing, its worth watching, but there is little that sets this apart from every other predictable boy meets girl relationship movie that's been made in the last ten years.

It's A Catch

Author: agoodn2 (agoodn2@yahoo.com) from Southwestern Illinois College, Red Bud IL
14 October 2003

After viewing several times, I found the movie "How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days" extremely cute, heartwarming, and charming. This movie, starring Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey, is based on a plot about two twenty-somethings who make bets with friends and colleagues to fall in, or out of love within the allotted ten days. Andie Anderson, Hudson's character, is Composure magazine's `how-to-girl.' She writes low quality how to articles for women. After witnessing a friend's devastating breakup, Andie volunteers to do her next article on `how to lose a guy in ten days,' in which she would `catch' a guy and do everything in her power (by doing things that `normal' women do) to get the guy to dump her within the ten days. With her project in mind, Andie and her friends go out to a bar to find her man. There she meets Ben Barry, McConaughey's character, and Andie thinks she has met her match. However, Ben also has a bet of his own to win.

Ben works for an advertising group and is trying to break into the field of diamonds, a female dominated field in advertising. He makes a bet with his boss and two female colleagues that if he can get a woman to fall in love with him in ten days, he wins the diamond advertising pitch. So, when they first meet, both Ben and Andie are looking for someone to help them win their bets.

The first night goes relatively smoothly, and the relationship continues from there. Andie tries her hardest to get rid of Ben, but Ben is bound and determined to have Andie fall for him. The whole movie revolves around the will-they-or-won't-they idea, and I was on the edge of my seat until the end, not knowing exactly which road the characters would take. I think the purpose of this film is to give the audience some whole-hearted laughs, and allow them to see some of themselves in the characters. The critical techniques used in this film are obvious through the settings, secondary characters, and the music used throughout the movie.

Anything But Romantic

Author: bronwyn-7
9 October 2003

This contains SPOILERS

This movie made me really angry because it is PG 13 rated, and it sent out a very bad message to very young people. Like ..If you sleep with a guy within a week to ten days of meeting him - Romio and Juliette awaits. Or..Promiscuity is perfectly normal and acceptable... For example - the girl in the beginning who was crying her eyes out because her boyfriend had dumped her after a week, then went on to say how special the sex was when she slept with him on the second date. He later shows up at her door with flowers saying how he missed her... WHAT A LIE!!! Happy endings such as this do not occur when you sleep with a guy on the second date, he doesn't miss you and he doesn't show up at your door with flowers confessing his undying love. Then there was Matthew McConnaughy and Kate Hudson -whose characters slept together on day 9. (they only waited this long because previous attempts didn't work). The next day they sat around trying to figure out if they were girlfriend and boyfriend or not - in love or not. THIS IS BACK TO FRONT PEOPLE. Please don't be taken in by this Hollywood lie. Lets call a spade a spade, Respect and love means waiting to sleep together because there is so much more to the relationship than that. No respect and no love means.. not waiting. Each to their own, but lets keep it honest. This movie was at the least, appropriately titled.

How to have a laugh for 90 minutes.

Author: Brian O'Neill from Australia
18 September 2003

(NOTE: This review contains some spoilers of sorts - but if you've seen more than a few romantic comedies in the past, you probably know how this one's going to shape up anyway. Nonetheless, you have been warned!)

First off, for those who read the summary line of this review, I'm well aware that the film actually ran for closer to 120 minutes. However, if it's laughs you're after, the last quarter of the film barely registers. That's not to say this is a bad film. Quite the opposite, actually, but it is weighed down by a couple of flaws inherent to the genre.

I'm getting ahead of myself. Anyway, the concept behind the movie has Kate Hudson's Andie Anderson, a burgeoning magazine columnist, looking for an article to escalate her to something more than a "How to..." girl. At a nearby advertising company, Matthew McConaughey's Ben Barry is searching for a way to prove that he knows women enough to be fit to handle projects geared towards that half of the market. Andie comes up with the notion of writing an article on how to lose a guy in 10 days, Ben places a bet that he can make a girl fall in love with him in - you guessed it - 10 days, the two are paired up by a couple of scheming mutual friends, and so the scene is set. Andie and Ben's relationship develops rather unusually, with each of them unaware of the other's hidden agendas.

This is a fun concept for a romantic comedy, and it works quite well as Andie sets about naming Ben's penis, refurbishing his home, interrupting his get-togethers with friends and generally turning his life upside down. This might have been annoying, but Hudson is a smart actress and she infuses Andie with an unrelenting energy that is equal parts wicked and charming. Quite simply, Hudson not only steals the show, she carries it, and many of her scenes are downright, rolling-in-the-aisles hilarious. McConaughey handles his role nicely as well, and the two leads keep the energy flowing (which helps, given that most of the supporting cast are rather forgettable) without pushing the jokes so far as to become unbelievable. It's definitely worth noting that this is just about the funniest romantic comedy to emerge in several years, largely because it doesn't overstep its bounds and become silly.

Sounds good, no? It really is - until the expected change sets in and Andie and Ben develop real feelings for one another (surprise surprise). It's an overly familiar development, but it doesn't entirely tarnish the film, even if the last 25 minutes descend into mushiness. In a lot of ways, this movie is a nice throwback to vintage romantic comedies of yesteryear, and despite the fact that it fails to step outside the boundaries the genre has been largely confined by for over a decade, most people will still get more than a bit of enjoyment out of it.

Grade: B

McConaughey should stick to action and drama

Author: Don_Rockard
16 September 2003

I like the idea of the movie. I like the female lead. I like the supporting cast. Good cinematography, music, sets. Pretty good director too. All good for few laughs. So why do I think this movie is not working? Well, I'm sorry to say it: It's Matthew McConaughey. GREAT actor. Loved him in A Time To Kill, Amistad and Reign Of Fire and some more. But he just isn't good at comedy. His moves, the faces they are so fake, like he's trying to hard. Action and drama are hard work. Comedy is a gift. Let's leave that to the comedians.

Not totally duff

Author: butterfly_soldier from California, USA
15 September 2003

My friends didn't enjoy this movie, and I don't know why. Okay, so it wasn't great, but it is quite funny and it has Kate Hudson, who is quite a good actress. I won't talk about the story as I have decided to go for a no spoiler this time, but I enjoyed it. I might get this film on DVD, and show it to some of my guy friends. I would obviously say that this is a chick flick, but I think that it would be okay for guys to enjoy this too, and laugh at poor Matthew MacKanahey (sp) being driven mad by Kate Hudson, who is totally doing it on purpose. Also, it is a happy movie which will probably make you laugh your ass off. If not, try watching `Big Fat Liar.' 7/10