IMDb > How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 37: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

A simple , Typical Movie

Author: usman_ali442 from Pakistan
31 October 2011

A typical romantic movie indeed.... it was like most of the 1990 movies nothing was new........The only enjoyable scene i find is the one in which Andy goes to the guy's family house and plays the game of "BULLSHIT". and at the end i was expecting the same "termial ending" in which the guy is running behind the girl on the airport terminal however to my "big surprise" the guy caught her on the bridge so that was a new thing...... the acting by both Kate and Mathew was good.......but again i think the story didn't had that much in it to make use of the expeties of these good actors....And i still cant figure out why the friends of the hero always have to be that lame as the two guys in this movie???

Ehhh

Author: Debbie lol
23 October 2011

The movie starts out great with some good comedy and an interesting backstory, but the movie begins to flag as soon as Kate Hudson's character starts acting the part of the crazy girlfriend. For no fault of her own, the character Kate Hudson played was annoying and exhausting. I reached my peak or boredom right around the middle. Then things start picking up until the end which is so predictable it's unpredictable! It seems like they got this ending out of "A Director's Guide for Chick Flicks". So overall I'd give this flick a 5 though I feel with the cast and the story the movie could have been much much better. I know that no one sees a chick flick to be delightfully surprised at the end but like I said, this movie follows a painfully predictable story line.

Silly but quite entertaining

Author: milagro1975 from Moscow, Russia
3 September 2010

It's a one-run movie of course and it lacks plausibility of plot and characters - actually in that department it's more of a cartoon - but still provides quite a number of good laughs. The boys party was hilarious, I still smile when recollect those guys' faces. McConaughey is very good in the part of a vain ad producer being at the same time a nice simple guy. Hudson could be less overactig but fits the general concept of a movie-cartoon and is very pretty, too. The yellow dress is fabulous. Overall it is quite OK as a comedy though romantic is somewhat unbelievable.

PS One thing that I find annoying - not only in this film - is that at least one time in a movie they would speak with their mouth full. Food dropping down usually included. I don't get it, what that's supposed to show, a down-to-earth character? easiness of atmosphere? There're plenty of ways to achieve that, why stick to this actually disgusting bad manners? Hell, they banned on-screen smoking, why allow this?

The 10 Day Time Limit

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
20 March 2010

How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days is both the film title and what Kate Hudson has pledged to do as research for an article for a women's magazine she works for. Not that she wants to write this tripe, but it's what is expected of her at the magazine she works for. Their readers don't want serious political stuff like what she wants to do.

She picks as the object of her love 'em and lose 'em experiment, one Matthew McConaughey who is an advertising writer and quite the player. And wouldn't you know it, he's got a bet on with his alpha male pals that he can keep a woman on a string for 10 days.

But as films like these inevitably go, the two actually fall for each other, unexpected consequences for the leads, but hardly for the movie-going public.

McConaughey and Hudson register well as the leads and their scenes do have some tenderness and some bite when it's appropriate. But when she's on the screen, Kate's boss Bebe Neuwirth steals the film. If you thought Meryl Streep was a tough woman to work for in The Devil Wears Prada, check Neuwirth out here.

Best scenes in the film for the leads are Hudson and McConaughey at a Knicks game and later at his apartment where he's prepared a sumptuous meal. She does some really great stuff to turn him off.

How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days is a pleasant romantic comedy, nothing terribly special about it, but fans of the leads won't be disappointed.

Amazing romantic comedy

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
6 October 2008

This film is about a female journalist's field work on how to scare a guy away in 10 days.

Having an obnoxious leading female character in the film may potentially be off putting, but in this film it works magic. Kate Hudson is charming and mischievous, and she handles her role well. Matthew McConaughey and her have great chemistry together. The scenes where they begin to fall in love have romance and love everywhere in the air. They are so sweet and convincing. The time they spend together is almost like the perfect time one could only imagine.

"How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" is so sweet and romantic. I really enjoyed this film.

Lightweight time-filler

Author: JoeytheBrit from www.2020-movie-reviews.com
25 September 2007

I can almost imagine that Kate Hudson accepted her role in this lightweight piece of fluff because she identified with the plight of her character, a journalist on a womens magazine who wants to write serious political pieces but ends up with the vacuous 'How to…' column. After all, surely no serious actor can dream of appearing in films as insubstantial as this when they're slogging their way through drama college – even if they are 'kooky' Goldie Hawn's daughter. That said, Hudson should at least look at getting an agent who will negotiate equal screen time with her leading man.

This isn't a bad film of its kind. It's a passable time-filler with likable leads who really shouldn't be considering the vain, conceited characters they play. Both believe they can snare a mate and have them fall in love with them – only with opposing objectives in mind – and go about their task with single-minded determination uncaring of what damage they may do to the other. There are a few laughs along the way – not many, but a few – and the ending is, of course, mind-numbingly predictable, but then it's obvious that nobody was out to win an Oscar here.

two likable leads overcome lack of originality

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
7 June 2007

first let me say that there is not too much in the way of originality in this film.however,instead of being targeted to the teen crowd,this one has a more mature demographic,which is refreshing if nothing else.i won't bore you with the details,since i'm sure you can figure it out pretty easy.normally,i'd say this is a typical movie in the rom/com genre.except for one thing.the twp leads (Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey)are very likable.of course,Kate Hudson's always great,in my opinion.there is some great chemistry between her and McConaughey,so you can't help but root for them.the ending of course,is predictable,but it is fun getting there.everything considered,"How to Lose a Guy in 10 days" rates a 7/10 from me.

Author: baybe_diana from United States
2 November 2006

I did not expect this movie to be a movie I liked. I wasn't really into watching it, but a friend asked me to come watch it with her, so I went. It was very unpredictable to me, and hilarious. I could picture this actually happening to someone, it was realistic. The way Kate Hudson and Matthew acted in this movie, Fantastic! They went well with each other and played the role as best as they could, and succeeded.

Many people do not believe this movie would be good or funny, but it was because I let my boyfriend watch it and you know guys, there aren't many who like chick flicks and cry about boring it will be and all that crappy stuff. But he enjoyed it and laughed, he rated it a 7 for a chick flick. I would recommend this to people who actually might want to lose a guy in 10 days ha-ha.

wish it could really happen in 9 days

Author: danielroxz from Australia
5 October 2006

i think the movie is really great and it would be so great just to meet a caring, funny, sensitive guy and fall in love in just 10 days but if it does fall apart for him to chase you and get you back. I also believe that it is really good to have questions such as true or false, 'All's fair in love and war'. I wish i could find a guy just like Matthew mcconaughey, cute and caring, sensitive and funny all in the same guy. When i first saw this film i thought it was a bit far fetched but then i watched it a lot of times and i really got hooked to it. Now i watch it about 3 times a day and i have fallen in love with Matthew McConaughey and want every single one of his movies. I love it and i recommend it to some people that may have relationship problems and they may get some ideas of what not to do in a relationship.

This is a movie you just HAVE to see if u want to make your day better and more enjoyable

Author: Jeanny S from Norway
27 August 2006

Everyone can have their own meaning,because every person likes something else...but I LOVE this movie...Although it's 3 years old now,I still watch it and I've seen it about 10 times... Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey belong to my favorite actors and I think that they could be a nice couple in the real life too...ha ha... However,the new movie-Failure to launch,where M McConaughey is seen, is a lot worse,because I don't think that MM and Sarah Jessica Parker make such a nice and charming,funny couple as MM and Kate Hudson. I laughed a lot n this film and I really like the idea of making a man see,that his life isn't as bad as he thinks,compared to how it is in this movie,ha ha. So, Watch this film if u still haven't seen it for any reason. It's funny,romantic and for a man also a horror film... IT'S SIMPLY THE BEST