IMDb > How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 36: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Jobs are on the line as love takes center stage...

Author: moviedude1 from Minneapolis, MN, USA
13 August 2003

This was a "cute" movie. It's one of those, "will he, won't he...will she, won't she" movies where ulterior motives have priorities, but no one can keep love out of the picture. It just goes to show you that closeness in any relationship only brings the people even closer together.

But it's an average movie! The actors don't stand out! I thought even the dog was stealing the scenes it was in! It almost has that part where you want to jump up and down and scream, "YES!" and then it lets you go. The chemistry between the two leads is great, but the reaction of the two is a definite let down.

GREAT MOVIE!!!

Author: elyssaperez88 (elyssaperez88@hotmail.com) from Austin, Texas
13 August 2003

this was such a good movie. Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey did a really good job on keeping us entertained by their funny scenes when a girlfriend acts totally cRaZy to get rid of the guy and he tries his best to get her to fall in love with her. 2 Thumbs UP!!!

Funny and Fun

Author: devildevine from Stahe, DE
6 August 2003

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days is the new romantic comedy from director Jack Gill. Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey star as a journalist and an ad executive, one trying to make the other fall in love with him, the other trying to drive him away.

Kate Hudson plays the intelligent and energetic Andie Anderson. Andie is a journalist at composure magazine where she is the resident `How To' girl. All she wants is to write about things she likes; like the environment, economics, poverty and politics. Unfortunately for her, working at Composure magazine means she's limited to fashion, and men. When her friend, Michelle, is dumped, Andie's boss thinks it's a good idea for Michelle to use it as a story. Not being able to exploit her personal life for an article, the boss hands it up to anyone. Andie doesn't want the story being taken by an annoying little co-worker, and therefore takes it upon herself to write the story. She explains that she will do all the silly things that women, like Michelle, do that eventually lead to men being driven away. `How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days' is born.

Matthew McConaughey plays Benjamin Barry, the other lead role as the confident, well-built, handsome man that thinks he can make any straight and available woman fall in love with him. Two of his co-workers make a small bet with him; he has to make a woman of their choice fall completely head over heels for him by next Sunday; 10 days. The two co-workers notice that in the same bar is the woman they met doing the `How To' article! And if you hadn't guessed already, she is the one they tell Ben to make fall in love with him. We witness the next 10 days of these people's lives as Andie does everything in her power to drive Ben away; while he does everything he can to make her fall madly in love.

I was dragged along to see How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days by a few of my friends, and thought that I was going to see some mediocre chick flick that is scarcely original and would leave me gasping for air as I choked on my own throw-up after having to sit through this horrendous thing they want to call `film'. I am happy to say that my worrying was in vain and that How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, though not a masterpiece, is a solid comedy that'll keep you laughing 'til the expected, yet unavoidable, conclusion.

One of the key factors of this film that kept it from being run-of-the-mill was the amazing performance by the beautiful Kate Hudson. Seeing as how her role in Almost Famous completely stole my heart, I knew that she would not disappoint. She plays very well, and has the right energy and quirkiness to capture the audience and make them care about Andie Anderson. Matthew McConaughey plays average at best in his role as Benjamin Barry, but with such a dislikeable character it is hard to find praise. His character is arrogant, and unbearable, aside from a few scenes with some hilarious one-liners that kept him from giving this movie a lower rating. His co-workers Tony and Thayer, played by Adam Goldberg and Thomas Lennon, were much more funny and likeable than Ben, and provided comic relief when in the same scene.

How to Lost a Guy in 10 Days provides solid comedy with believable dialogue, and a great cast of characters. The witty script matched with some solid performances keeps this movie fast and entertaining. A few tiresome scenes, an unpleasant character here or there and the aforementioned predictable ending slightly detract from the light-hearted fun; but the movie still managed to have enough fun to keep me entertained from start to finish.

***/****

Note: **/**** if it weren't for the talented Kate Hudson to pull this picture out of mediocrity.

Stock plot with many laughs

Author: I am Jack's Brain (antigraviton) from Terra
2 August 2003

Overall, I wasn't too impressed with the quality of this stock-plot film. In some places, you have to work hard to suspend your disbelief, because the characters' actions didn't always make sense based on their circumstances. (Wouldn't either of them have become even a little suspicious of the bizarre behavior of the other?) Also, I thought that Andie and the other female characters were written largely with stereotypes of women in mind.

In spite of these shortcomings, after accepting that it was more a "light" comedy than a well-written movie, I found myself frequently laughing out loud: the saving grace of the movie is the humor, which works well in most places.

The movie's not excellent, but its' not atrocious, either. There are worse ways to kill a couple hours on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Great Guy, Great Movie

Author: Robyn (bfavre@new.rr.com) from Green Bay
1 August 2003

I was expecting this movie to be a typical girlie movie but I watched it any way because I am a huge Matthew McConaughey fan. Kate Hudson has that same spark that her mother, Goldie Hawn does. Kate and Matthew had some really funny scenes and I was really impressed. Ever since I saw Matthew in Dazed and Confused he had me won over. He is so sexy and charming. The movie of course wont win any oscars but its a "make you feel good movie" and it has some really funny moments.

Worth the rental......

Author: dolyn11 from Chicago, IL
27 July 2003

I thought this was a very entertaining movie. Maybe because it's due to the fact that I watch Maid in Manhattan the previous night. The story line was fun, and different. Kate was wonderful in this movie, and proves that she will be a great comedic actress. I like Matthew in more serious roles, but he and Kate worked well together. I would rate it a B.

Not too Shabby

Author: orthopedicshoe from ca
26 July 2003

OK. Im a guy. I hate chick flicks. Ms congeniality, 2 weeks notice, legally blonde.....I HATE THEM ALL! i wasnt to optimistic about seeing this movie, but of course i heard it was good from some girlfriends of mine.

i am not a fan of matthew mcghauney(?). all his movies his characters are the same. but in this movie, his same old character actually fit him. I thought he portrayed his character very well. he was actually quite funny. And then theres little Kate Hudson. Not only is she gorgeous, but at times, i swear i was watching Goldie Hawn. she was so annoyingly funny in this movie, that you actually cringed when she did some of her horrible tricks. I also thought there chrmistry was perfect.

But the UNSUNG HEROES of this movie are DEFINETLY McConaughy's best friends/coworkers. Adam Goldberg is HILARIOUS with his dry sense of humor, and if you listen carefully to each of his lines, you will laugh your #@! off. He and Thomas Lennon are two KEY roles in this movie.

Overall, BEING A GUY, i give this movie a 7/10. Adam Golberg saved this movie.............

Predictable

Author: shrek2004
26 July 2003

This film is very flawed. Kate Hudson is very good, but it would

have been funnier to see an A-list actress to play the "clingy, needy

girlfriend." Julia Roberts might have even turned this into another

"Notting Hill" or "Sleepless in Seattle". Matthew is hot, but that's all.

He's just a guy, a guy playing a role. The movie still manages to

pull it together, it's not trashy or raunchy, just predictable and

unexciting. The movie is tedious and goes along as follows, with

both parties feeling guilty until......hey, I don't need to include

spoilers. This is an American movie, with American stars. We know how it ends.

Worst Movie Ever

Author: neeljgandhi
26 July 2003

This movie could potentially be good if titled: "How to Take Advantage of a Girl in 10 Days."

What planet did these filmmakers come from? And the acting was simply like an elementary school play. I bet it took two days to film this movie. I can't believe I just lost two hours of my life that I can never get back watching this movie.

Sort of Decent...

Author: Mandagirl from Denmark
24 July 2003

Being who I am, I admit that romantic comedies can get no higher than 4 out of six stars with me. This is because those movies often aren't that deep (Which is OK, movies don't have to be) and because they're often too alike and usually mediocre at best. Still I think this movie has some good parts.

Okay, there ARE a lot of overused cliches at work here: They have to pretend to be something they're not, the hate each other, then they love each other, they learn something, etc... BUT the fact that in 80% of this movie the actors aren't gazing dreamingly at each other, but in fact being really MEAN gives it a nice twist. Kate Hudson is VERY evil at times, which at some points are funny, and McConnaughy makes a good effort at trying to put up with the madwoman that those parts actually work. But alas, when they begin to fall in love and Hudson realizes that she really doesn't want to hurt him, etc. that's when the story becomes mainstream, boring and cliche.

Therefore I give this movie 3 stars out of 6, for being funny, though mediocre.