IMDb > How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 37:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Get frosted!

Author: Jessica Carvalho from Brazil
1 December 2005

This movie is silly but funny. We can see the lovely Kate Hudson and the charming Matthew McConaughey (from EdTV) in this comedy as a couple who have everything to be wrong. Of course the end is very predictable, but this don't take the movie's fun. The 'princess Sophia' nickname is still one of the best nicknames I already heard for a guy's part. (laugh)

obs1:Kate Hudson wears a beautiful yellow dress in this movie. With 'Isadora Duncan'the diamond neck less, she is even more beautiful. obs2: Michelle's character (Kathryn Hahn) has a beautiful hair color. (red)

Refreshing

Author: lilone421 from Halifax, MASS
15 July 2005

I thought this movie was refreshingly funny. In a time where there is so much violence and nastiness going on in the world, it is great to see a film that just wants to make people laugh. What is wrong with that. It didn't hurt that Kate is just as funny if not funnier than her mom (good genes) and Matthew should be credited for his great sense of humor. He is also really nice to look at. Had to be said! I loved this movie. The supporting cast was also excellent. Adam Goldburg can play a straight man better than anyone. Michael Michelle, as the rival to Matthews character, made me want to scratch her eyes out. Of course I have to mention Bebe Neuwirth, she's as always amazing to watch on screen and on stage. RENT THIS MOVIE. IT'S WORTH THE $4.00.

What a load of b*llocks

Author: neil-upto11 from UK
20 June 2011

I mean, it's not like it's so much worse than a 1000 other god-awful, churned out, so-called 'rom-coms' but maybe I've just come the end of my tether with this kind of sh1t.

The bloke character is the usual generic bell-end and the woman character is just a thoroughly unlikeable tw^t.

The story is lighter than a f*rt in a hot-air balloon and contains no surprises of any kind.

IMDb want me to pad out this review with more lines but I cant bring myself to say any more about it. Would it be OK if I just told you that the weather in my town wasn't very good today?

go frost yourself

Author: Rogue-32 from L A.
17 March 2003

Kate Hudson & Matthew McConaughey were the only two reasons I wanted to see this film, because after witnessing the coming attractions I realized it was gonna be pretty lame. . .but I had no idea, no clue whatsoever, that it would be as patently pathetic as it actually turned out.

The "plot", of course, was regurgitatingly ridiculous, but I can deal with a paltry premise if it's at least played out in a relatively clever way. There is not one clever moment in this movie, alas and alack, and although Hudson is adorable even when she's being more obnoxious than Joe Dirt (she gives Matthew's male member the monicker of Princess Sophia, for instance, and she sabotages his boys-only poker game in such foul ways that they cannot be described without resorting to severely inappropriate 4-letter words), and although Matt of course is dangerously and disgustingly attractive, this just aint enough to justify this tastelessly trashy travesty, which ends really really badly, subjecting their peers (at their devastastingly dreary "frost-yourself" diamonds advertising campaign party) to an astoundingly embarrassing duet (yes, they're SINGING by the end of this treachery, boys and girls), followed by the token let's-make-up-after-we've-put-each-other-through-the-tortures-of-the-damned-(not-to-mention-the-audience)-because-aw-shucks-we-actually-love-each-other scene.

The good news is, I had more fun writing this review than I had sitting through the movie, and I thank imDB for giving me this opportunity.

Kind of like a botched root canal....

Author: Agent10 from Tucson, AZ
10 February 2003

I never knew Troma Films were making chick flicks. Oops, what was I thinking. Then again, this film is so lame and predictable, the grinding of millions of males teeth could be heard in the theater like a sonic boom. Hollywood's excuse for putting out inoffensive tripe like this is yet another pathetic cry for help, one where the rehashing of ideas and plots and almost banal dialogue makes one wonder if the sanctity of foreign films without the subtitles will be the respective norm of escaping such garbage.

This film also continues the rather lousy trend of trite chick-flick movies (I'm talking about Two Weeks Notice, Just Married, Deliver Us From Eva, and Maid in Manhattan) that mysteriously lead the box office. Perhaps the foreign film goers are right: American films are becoming a dull collection of clones and remakes. Here's an idea, instead of torturing captives and putting killers to death, make these individuals watch this film around the clock. Such inflicted pain will reform someone quickly and make any future terrorist squeal like a dirty pig.

The only one being honest about the rehashing trend seems to be George Lucas, who knows his Star Wars saga is retreading familiar ground, and does little to dispel such ideas. However, films like this cannot accept the truth, and sadly, the viewing public doesn't seem to care.

Awful awful awful...

Author: bjornblomberg from Gold Coast, Australia
7 September 2003

I feel that I need to warn my fellow man/woman. I was sitting on a plane when i saw this. Even though I didnt have anything else to do, I still couldn't get myself to look at the screen all the time. I had to take the headphones off and look out through the window just to shield me from the awful thing before me. It was designed as a girl-movie, but if i were a girl I would get offended from it. In short: It is fully possible that this is the worst movie Ive ever seen. It's not even bad in a fun way.

how bad can a romantic comedy get?

Author: Ozlem Alkan from Istanbul, Turkey
8 May 2003

Why would anyone make a sub-standard version of a story that

was done at least a hundred times before? Hollywood people are

obviously getting lazier and lazier thinking the most common is the

safest bet. This film has the most predictable storyline "frosted"

with some sitcom jokes. That's all. The screenwriters were so lazy

that they didn't even provide us with any information on how in the

world these people fell in love. If the unbelievably superficial and

unconvincing story doesn't irritate you, Kate Hudson's humidified

fake blonde hair sure will. I felt like asking my ticket money back.

One of the Worst Movies I've Ever Seen

Author: Danusha_Goska Save Send Delete
15 June 2009

"How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days" is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It's so lifeless, stupid, ugly and inept, it's hard to believe that anyone involved, from the director to the scriptwriter to Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey, titled, with a false generosity, "stars," received payment for their services. This is one of those movies where, frame by frame, you sit there saying, "How could anything this bad ever have reached theaters?

"Lose a Guy" is meant to be a romantic comedy, but there is no romance, and no comedy. Hudson and McConaughey have been more charismatic in tabloid TV talk shows. There's no timing, no tension, no wit, no music, no flair, just inert matter moving, like sludge, in front of your eyes. Not even good enough for one of those days when you are exhausted from work and just want to watch *something*. Staring at a blank screen for ninety minutes would be more uplifting.

Not a Perfect 10 but ok!

Author: meeza (themeezaman@hotmail.com) from Miami, Fl
24 April 2003

`How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days' is not the collaborated work of all the first dates I have ever had. The name of that piece is `How To Lose A Guy In 10 Seconds'. `How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days' is a giddy but formulaic romantic comedy starring Hollywood vanities Matthew Mcconaughey & Kate Hudson. Mcconaughey plays a cocky advertiser named Ben Barry. Big Ben places a wager that he can make a woman fall in love with him in 10 days. Hudson plays Andie Anderson, a fem-themed magazine scriber who writes a weekly `How To Lose.' articles. Her next reality assignment is = How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days. Now these two self-agenda dating gamers are off to the races. Andie does everything irritable imaginable to make the male species quiver with fear: furnishing Ben's apartment as a bunny festival, filling the bathroom with vaginal products , nicknaming Ben's penile instrument with a female name, and interrupting a guy's night out by actually showing up. Yes! Guys! This is one of the scariest films I have ever seen. Poor Ben has to undertake this torture so he could win his bet and make Andie fall in love with him in 10 days. Mcconaughey & Hudson did demonstrate screen chemistry. Hudson, who is strikingly beautiful, will make many male fans wish they can take a ride in that Hudson River. I did find the charm in `How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days' but I also found that it lost its luster. ***Average

How To Lose My Interest In 10 Seconds...

Author: Troy (Troy2Slick) from Toronto, Ontario
17 April 2003

Oh my god. Words cannot describe how awful this movie was. I'm a guy, sure, but believe it or not, I like chick flicks at times. This wasn't one of them. I tried to like it, but when my wife, the biggest lover of chick flicks was like, "Let's leave, this movie sucks." I knew it was horrible. There was not one funny moment in the first hour that we actually stayed. There have only been two movies I've ever walked out on. Kangaroo Jack and now this. Save your money! You have been warned!!

Page 2 of 37:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]