IMDb > Gen-X Cops 2: Metal Mayhem (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Te jing xin ren lei 2

Gen-X Cops 2: Metal Mayhem More at IMDbPro »Te jing xin ren lei 2 (original title)

Interesting no-brainer

Author: leanmeanbean8 from England
13 March 2004

A robot, on a killing spree? Cheap DVD? Sounds interesting to me. Welcome to the strange world of the y-gen cops. The y-gen cops are basically match and alien two unconventional cops. (Think great teacher Onizuka but more annoying.) These two idiots always manage to save the day in the most unusual way. For example whilst on a stakeout they use a cellphone to call for backup, only remembering in the nick of time they had accidently picked up the bomb phone. Thus destroying there ferrari. Both speak English, well kinda anyway. They try to speak English throughout most of the movie but what they say just comes out as lame. As this was a chinese movie I was surprised that most of the film is English. Incredibly as far as I can tell it was not a dub!! Although when they do speak chinese it is subtitled, well when the filmakers can be bothered to. Sometimes they speak entire sentences and no subtitles come up!

Anyway getting past all this basically the R-1 robot is to be sold to the highest bidder. The R-1 is an almost indestructable machine which is loaded with weaponry. The hong kong police and the FBI want it back before any damage is caused. But this is y-gen police, I doubt thats gonna happen! What follows is a large number of action sequences which can be pretty thrilling at times. Especcialy the ending. If you just wanted a film that you could just sit down to and have a good time, y-gen cops is probably it. Although, beware my the movie on my DVD came in full screen and not widescreen which can be rather distracting at times, but by the end of the film you should be used to it.

I find it hard to rate y-gen me and this film have a love-hate relationship. The voices annoy me, the action scenes excite me. So I'm going to give it a: 6 out of ten

this is a fun and entertaining movie to watch

Author: acids from kuala lumpur, malaysia
19 December 2000

this movie is certainly worth a watch. it's full of action. it's also humorous. you'll laugh until your stomach hurts if you watch this movie. this movie also includes lots of hi-tech things hence the name gen-y. i recommend you to watch the prequel of this movie which is gen-x.

UTTER GENIUS!!! (But only if taken as some kind of parody!)

Author: Luke Toyer from United Kingdom
12 March 2009

Genius or utter madness? That depends on your interpretation of this film. I responded to it on the level of a self-aware "cop-movie parody", and I sincerely hope that was the intention as I don't see anyone taking it seriously! :-D Paul Rudd for one seems to be chewing up the scenery and really getting into the spirit of things! Is this film supposed to mark a departure for Rudd from his core background in the comedy genre? Some kind of insane attempt to reinvent him as a hard-boiled action star? I think not!

With the cheesy, almost awkward acting, low budget FX, and zany over-the-top action set pieces, it all kinda evoked that old TV show "Sledge Hammer" for me! HILARIOUS!!! :-)

Of course, I may have totally interpreted the film wrong. If it was in fact an attempt at a 'straight' action movie, then it was certainly an amusing failure!!

Watch with lots of alcohol and some mates!!! ;-)

Funny, action packed, and awesome... must see!! Even good music!

Author: Arkiliknam from Australia... Hong Kong atm
21 December 2000

I am having a holiday in hong kong now, and i just saw gen y cops at the cinema.... what can i say... it was sooo cool!!

Everything you could wish for was in it! Basically... just see it if ya can... I'm gonna get my friend to send me the vcd when it comes out....

Only bad thing was the dodgy American style of talking employed by some of the hl actors... like Edison... "What's up my man?!" but it did add even more humour to iy... hhehe

See it... especially if ya like any of the following geners: HKfilm, action, comedy, sci fi! SEEITMAN!! Edison did a good song for it too... so download it... Edison Tse - Heroes

Y oh Y.

Author: ManMonk from Maryland
17 July 2003

So this is the sequel to one of my favorite martial-art flicks that don't star Jackie Chan, Gen-X Cops, though why he chose to have his name attached to this is a mystery. It's hard to blame the godawful dubbing, because even with subtitles, the fighting is stale and the special effects are so so lame. It makes the original look like Police Story. In short, Generation Y should be embarassed to have this associated with them.

Not That Great! 2/10

Author: leonblackwood from United Kingdom
20 December 2015

Review: I lost interest in this film from the get go! The movie looked cheap and extremely dated and I wasn't impressed with the action. Its about a robot which has been made to be the ultimate fighting machine but when it gets stolen from an exhibition by a computer hacker, a group of young cops, who were hired to protect the machine, fight to save the world. One of there fellow cops are drugged and used against the cops so the head of the FBI agents, Ian Curtis (Paul Rudd), attempts to get back the robot and kill the agent who has turned to the darkside. The young undercover cops manage to find out that there fellow agent has been drugged so they try to prove his innocence by getting back the robot, there own way, whilst fighting against the hackers, who have different plans for the robot. Personally, I didn't find the comedic scenes that funny and the gun tooting cops weren't that interesting. The robot looked ridiculous, especially towards the end but on the plus side, it's quite short so I didn't have to put up with the movie that long. I wasn't a big fan of the first movie because it seemed a bit messy and this film isn't much better. The trendy young cops just didn't seem to take the whole situation that seriously, even though there is a lethal robot on the lose, so I have to give this movie the thumbs down. Disappointing!

Round-Up: Starring a young Paul Rudd, who looked uncomfortable throughout the movie, this, supposed to be, action movie wasn't that great and the scenes with Paul Rudd made me laugh because of were he is today. This film was directed by Benny Chan, who brought you the first movie in this franchise along with Who Am I?, New Police Story, Divergence, Robin-B-Hood and the great Shaolin. This movie would have been much better if it didn't have so much comedic content, which wasn't written that well and it feels like I'm beginning to sound like a broken record because I have said the same thing about a lot of the movies that I have seen recently. Anyway, this film was produced by Jackie Chan, who also produced the first movie and you can see that they used his style of action during the fighting scenes. Its just a shame that the movie wasn't that great!

I recommend this movie to people who are into their action/sci-fi movies starring Paul Rudd, Mark Hicks, Edison Chen and Stephen Fund. 2/10

Film could have been a stand-alone, but was sequel instead.

Author: Kage-3 (kage24@aol.com) from Detroit, MI
3 May 2001

"Gen X Cops" was an fun blend of drama, comedy, action and technology. I was disappointed to see that only a couple of the original cast members came back for the sequel, especially since it was the group of them that helped make the first film so appealing.

The plot of Gen Y (an armed American robot is kidnapped by its creator/programmer and used to commit chaos and revenge etc etc etc) and consequent subplots are really second to the action. There's quite a bit of humorous dialogue between the two Hong Kong partners, though the character of Alien truly does overact in a number of scenes and his use of English slang is overdone. For the most part, though, this is an action movie with an emphasis on technology not to be taken too seriously and is quite a departure from the first film. I think it might have worked just as well as a movie on its own instead of a sequel, but I didn't finance it.

The special effects are amusing (some well done and some not quite so well done), the action sequences are well choreographed and the new cast members hold their own, especially Edison. He's cute, got some good moves and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in future films. What in the world was a blonde Paul Rudd doing here though???

Don't expect the most serious film in the world. Just sit back, relax, be amazed, cringe and wait to see what the next sequel brings us!

(7 out of 10)

Good lord

Author: EA Karras from USA
1 March 2002

I love Paul Rudd and all, but my God. This movie is /rank/. It makes little to no sense, and the thing keeps /pausing/ to identify characters. Not to mention the accidental subtitling when people are speaking english.

Paul Rudd does look good wet, though.

Highly enjoyable martial arts movie.

Author: Zillamen from Kent, Washington
20 August 2003

This is a well done action movie. There are plenty of fight scenes, the acting is convincing (for this genre) and RS1 is awesome. I don't know why people feel compelled to trash RS1, I thought his effects were executed very nicely and his design looked great. The plot was acceptable for a martial arts movie.

Having said that, I must tell you Richard Sun is one of the worst actors from Hong Kong I have ever watched. At least RS1 had the right idea by killing him. Now, for all of you who thought Sam Lee (Alien) was a bad actor...he wasn't meant to be taken seriously! I have just had the pleasure of watching Gen-X Cops (prequel) and Sam Lee played the same character the same way!

Now, please, all of you guys who watch highly reviewed Oscar winners: DO NOT JUDGE THIS IS A THINKING MAN'S MOVIE! IT ISN'T SUPPOSED TO REQUIRE THOUGHT! Just meant to be enjoyed, that's all. I hope they make another soon.

BAD to the limits!!!

Author: leo
3 May 2003

This film is really a big piece of trash trying to make itself look like a Hollywood production.Poor story outline(stupid robot story)...ultra bad acting by untalented pop idols...and they are trying to"FIGHT"!!!My goodness...those miserable actors uses wires to make them look like they are "good fighters"...:(and I hate that arrogant Edison Chen...the worst actor I have ever seen!!!I will never touch his movies again.AVOID this movie at all costs!!!I wanted to give it a negative value out of ten...not even worth a 0/10.