IMDb > "Sit Down, Shut Up" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Sit Down, Shut Up" More at IMDbPro »

Attempting to revive the Aussie sitcom...quite good

Author: marnie.davidson from Sydney, Australia
1 March 2001

I don't know which is funnier. Sue's (Marge Downey) constant degrading of Helen (Jacqueline Brennan) or Stuart (Stephen Curry) taking the good part of an episode to realise that everyone is calling him a w***er. It's typical for Australian comedy, a few laughs here and there but lacking the snap of American comedies simply because we have limited budgets...but not limited talent! Tayler Kane plays the same sort of character he played in Fire as 'Grievious', a suave (or so he thinks) hunk with no much upstairs, but plenty, we are assured, downstairs. It's not a serious series and you shouldn't view it at that. If you did you'd be pulling your kids out of school and educating them yourself. These teachers aren't too concerned about curriculum! It's like a half hour version of one Full Frontal skit. Check it out...it might surprise you.

Surprisingly Good in a Lo-fi Sort of Way.

Author: Afzal Shaikh from London, England
27 July 2008

Just stuck this into IMDb search after looking at PJ Hogan's profile. Obviously, this sitcom has nothing to do with PJ Hogan, but it just popped into my mind. This was shown a number of years ago on Paramount here in England, if I remember correctly.

While it at first looked amateurish and pathetic, I quickly learnt that it was funny and intelligent (hence the PJ Hogan connection), while retaining a distinctly Australian feel. I felt a real 'gang feeling', that the people involved really had fun making this, and my undergraduate self really liked the idea of being able to do this kind of thing, a sort of Lo-fi.