IMDb > Uprising (2001) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Uprising

Uprising (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Good movie, shameful stereotypes

Author: (georgegolembiewski@netzero.net) from Chicago, Il.
17 September 2002

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Uprising despite its obvious flaws. A good story is told how Warsaw Jews defy the Natzis, but it is all too simplistic and frought with inaccuracies. All the Jews are young and handsome while Poles are plain looking middle aged people with tattered clothing ,unwashed,and with bad teeth. They also are all indiifferent to the plight of the Jews , and will only help if given money or threatened by the courageous and noble Jews. Poles on thother hand are just voka swilling mercenaries. In truth the Warsaw Ghetto uprising could never got off the ground without the assisrance of the Polish underground. Nowhere in this movie are Poles given credit for their contributions to this effort. Like the Jews they too were victims of the Natzi atrocities, but you'd never know that from wathing this film. Uprising is a great story with some serious deficiencies. A more balnced portrayal of the plight of Polish Jews , and Polish Catholics would have really educated the public about this moment in history. Unfortunately this did not happen.

As accurate as film can make it.

Author: marvopolo from United States
7 January 2007

I saw this film in Australia with a relative who survived the Ghetto uprising. He said that, in spite of some inconsistencies, it was as accurate as film could portray it. While it is true that there was more than one resistance faction, and sometimes they were at odds, the essence of the event is portrayed well. The Polish Resistance's attitude was mixed, but my relative, who was a courier in and out of the Ghetto said that many individual Poles risked their lives to hide him. The woman who escaped with the baby at the end of the film is also related to me. Her husband, who was killed in the first days of the uprising, was a major planner and organizer. Of course, it affected me greatly since my mother originally came from Warsaw and I lost many relatives.

A reasonably good made-for-TV movie

Author: glimmrmoon from United States
8 August 2005

I always have very low expectations of made for TV movies as they tend to be poor in comparison to feature films. But this one actually impressed me. The focus of the film was not the entire holocaust, but it focused on the Warsaw ghetto uprising of the Jews (the previous reviewer might have saved themselves some trouble had they simply read that beforehand) so the writing and characters were focused and good and it was all based on true people and events. The sets were well-constructed. I had forgotten I was watching a TV movie. A good cast. Good acting. Much of the cast was unknown, most of them not even Jewish. Donald Sutherland and Cary Elwes gave outstanding performances as did John Voight. Definitely worth viewing. Many good extras on the DVD as well.

A masterpiece of sorrow and shame.

Author: (dwbball50@mediaone.net) from Lombard, IL
6 November 2001

A masterpiece of sorrow and shame. No this does not mean it lacked the qualities of a exceptional movie but rather it means that it made me feel sorrow for the Jews during World War II. This made for TV "movie" is beyond any another of its kind in the making today. Uprising has no limits in its ideas and messages. It does not hold back the truth but rather tells the story of a group of Jews in the ghetto, using a naturalistic style. The plot is intriguing from the beginning and never fails to keep you sliding up instead of down in your lazy-boy. Moreover, the message is what needs to really be looked at in this film.

So, what makes this film have such an impact? The actors and the characters they played are the answer. Leelee Sobieski is simply incredible and on the contrary to many of David Schwimmer's TV shows or movies, he plays the part of a serious, brave, and invincible Jew, who is looked at as a leader among his people. Many new faces are seen in this movie and they all do a fantastic job.

The entertainment value is beyond comparison with any other made for TV movie. This was not a cheap movie to make and the actions scenes are not little exploding apples on an indoor movie set. Buildings are blown to pieces, Jews and Germans are slaughtered throughout the movie and tortured. You will not walk away from this movie without learning more about World War II and the Holocaust. Uprising is implicit in its message and entertaining to the very last second. If you are a history buff, an action fan, or someone who just simply likes Leelee Sobieski or David Schwimmer, I highly recommend Uprising for you. When it comes out on DVD on December 18, 2001, I would for sure get it, and watch it over and over again.

I really do hate to say that any movie comes close to Saving Private Ryan, but Uprising does, and ironically, it is a made for TV movie which makes it even that much better. Take the time to rent this or buy the DVD when you can, it is well worth the purchase.

Despite the many flaws, this is an enjoyable series

Author: Philip Van der Veken from Tessenderlo, Belgium
22 June 2005

WWII, and the Holocaust in particular, is a very interesting subject. There has probably never been more interest from the public towards everything that concerns this war, which started already more than 65 years ago. Every week new books, documentaries,... are published with new theories, with evaluations of some important (often Nazi) personalities, with information about the concentration camps,... Because most of the survivors have already died or will die soon, the stories of the last eye-witnesses will get lost if not registered on tape or camera. But all these stories are also a good base for movies and mini-series like this "Uprising".

"Uprising" tells the story of the Nazi oppression of the Jews in the Ghetto of Warshaw and their rebellion against it, which started in 1943. It all begins in 1939 with the growing list of prohibitions and regulations leading to the virtual imprisonment of about half-a-million Polish Jews in an old district of Warsaw. Their daily struggle against hunger and disease is made even worse when the Nazis demand for "deportations to the east". Many begin to suspect that the deportation of these groups of laborers are actually camouflaged mass murders and at the end of 1942 they start to realize that they are all doomed. They decide that, if they have to die, they better die in honor by taking up the arms against their oppressors. They start building hidden shelters and bunkers in the basements and cellars of the buildings, often with tunnels leading to other buildings and start collecting arms and ammunition for the battle which will begin on 19 April 1943...

Even though I must say that overall I liked the series, I can't say that it was always very convincing. There were a couple too many problems with it that really bothered me. One for instance is the way all the people are depicted. The heroic Jews don't have to expect any help from the arrogant and anti-semitic Polish Catholics who know exactly what is going on, but don't care. The Poles only want to help when offered enormous amounts of money and even then are very reluctant. In reality the Poles also suffered a lot under the German oppression and without their help there would probably never have been a Jewish Uprising. And no, I'm not a Pole myself, so I'm not saying this to justify my people's actions, it's just the way it was.

Another thing that I really didn't like was the use of the languages. The Germans speak English most of the time, except for when they are giving some short orders, than you'll hear them talk German. The producers and director have to make a choice, either they all speak German or English, but not a mix of the two. And about the language I also have another remark. Can someone please tell me why those purely American actors, who all know how to speak normal English, speak with that funny, but also incredibly annoying accent? Do they really believe I will not recognize Leelee Sobieski, David Schwimmer,... when they talk in a slightly different way? I'm not asking that they speak Polish, I'm sure they can't, but don't make a fool out of yourself by trying to convince people that you are talking another language, just by adding such an accent, it can never work...

Still, even though the series isn't always historically accurate, uses a range of annoying accents and is too stereotypical when it comes to the roles of the different people, not everything about it was that bad. The acting for instance is good. In my opinion this was the best role I've ever seen Leelee Sobieski play and all the other actors did a nice job too. I certainly liked Jon Voight as Major General Jurgen Stroop, but it is Cary Elwes, who played Fritz Hippler (the director of "Der Ewige Jude" or "The Eternal Jew"), who certainly deserves to be mentioned as well.

All in all this isn't a bad series. If you try to see it as a drama based on actual events, rather than to see it as a 'documentary reconstruction', than you certainly should be able to enjoy it. There are some nice action scenes, some good acting and other interesting features. You just will have to try to see past some major flaws... I give this series a score between 7/10 and 7.5/10.

Riveting Historical Drama

Author: RodReels-2 from United States
5 November 2001

On the night the Emmys awarded "Anne Frank" the best miniseries of 2000-2001, NBC began airing yet another WWII-era epic which has to be the odds-on favorite for the trophy next year. This is as fine a miniseries as I have ever seen. David Schwimmer, Leelee Sobieski and Hank Azaria are all highly believable in their roles as Jewish resistance fighters. Donald Sutherland and Jon Voight turn in fine performances in lesser roles. And director Jon Avnet delivers a compact, credible piece of little-known history regarding the Warsaw ghetto uprising. For a small screen effort, one has to be amazed at how closely the style resembles that of big screen efforts like "Saving Private Ryan" and "Schindler's List". All in all, a well-done miniseries that deserves a second viewing. How often can one say that about any miniseries.

great, tv has come a long way

Author: seancammack
18 December 2001

I did not quite know what to expect when I sat down to watch this. The tv ads looked ok, but I thought it would be like most mini-series where the characters stand around talking for 3/4 of the film with a few unrealistic, tamed down action sequences litered about. I was shocked when it turned out that this movie was actually really, really good. It is packed with action, triumph, sorrow, hardship and any other element that may make a film great. The battle sequences are extremely well done and almost rival those in Saving Private Ryan, almost(they are nowhere near as gory). It is also quite graphic for a tv movie, with babies drowning, naked bodies being thrown about, and even a guy getting tortured with a blow torch. It is nowhere near the level of Shindler's List(but that can be expected), but it is far, far better than that resent piece of propaganda crap Pearl Harbor. A great film and possibly even one of the year's best.

Overwhelming as well as devastating portrayal of survival against Nazi atrocities and all irrational obstacles

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
28 July 2013

In 1939, after the invasion of Poland, Reinhard Heydrich chief of Gestapo began to place all Polish Jews in ghettos, where they could slowly die of hunger and disease. The campaign was to be administered by the Waffen-SS the party's military formations that fought as integral units in the armed forces. The Warsaw ghetto was the largest of these segregated areas established by the Nazis in Poland. In 1940 Heydrich, using the excuse that the spread of typhus had to be contained, set up a special section 11 miles in circumference enclosed by a brick wall 10 feet high . The cost was paid by the Judenrat (whose leader named Adam Czerniakow is perfectly played by Donald Sutherland) , the Jewish Council of twenty-four-members, which was in charge of Jewish affairs inside the ghetto . The daily struggle against hunger and disease is aggravated by the German demands for "deportations to the east" that many begin to suspect are camouflaged mass murders . Later on , there takes place the upheaval by a handful of fighters .

This is an emotionally tale and very decent drama about a group of Jews from uprising until terrible ending in the Warsaw ghetto . Jon Avnet correctly directs a spellbinding portrait about the holocaust with intense drama , action and spectacular as well as sad scenes . A splendid all-star-cast gives magnificent acting in real-life characters such as Leelee Sobieski as Tosia Altman , David Schwimmer as Yitzhak Zuckerman , Stephen Moyer as Kazik Rotem, Sadie Frost as Zivia Lubetkin , Radha Mitchell as Mira Fruchner , Mili Avital as Deworah Baron and special mention to Hanz Azaria who is excellent in a complicate and suffering role . An of course , we can not forget the great John Voight as Major-General Jurgen Stroop who carried out the brutal repression . Emotive as well as sensitive musical score by the classical Maurice Jarre . Impressive and adequate production by the Spanish Benjamin Fernandez who previously had designed ¨The others¨ and ¨Daylight¨ . Evocative and atmospheric cinematography by cameraman Denis Lenoir .

Adding more details over largely described on the movie regarding 'the Warsaw ghetto uprising', the events happened on the following manner : From 300 to 400 died daily in the Warsaw trap. More than 43.000 starved to death during the first year. Children crazed by hunger crawled through the sewers to the non-Jewish sectors of the city to smuggle in a bit of food. People were no longer moved by the sight of men and women falling dead on the streets. The Nazi authorities began intensified measure on July 22, 1942. As a memorial to Heydrich, Heirich Himmler ordered all Jews except those already in concentration camps to be deported .The ghetto and all labor camps would then be destroyed. Mass deportations to the gas chambers of Treblinka began. In two months 300.000 Jews were eliminated. The Judenrat was ordered to deliver 6.000 Jews daily for deportation. Each day thousands were driven by guards through the gates.Young Zionists, pioneers training to go to Palestine, mobilized first to be followed by members of the Polish workers party . On July 28, 1942, the Jewish Combat organization consisting about 1.000 men and boys was formed. All resolved to kill as many of their tormentors as they could before they died.The Jews fighting from rooftops, cellars, and attics,Poles outside the ghetto now began to send in more revolvers, grenades, and dynamite. In 1943 the guerrillas divided into twenty-two groups built an intricate network underground cellars and tunnels ,linked with command posts . In April 19,1943 German troops moved in on the ghetto to send all who were left to Treblinka in a final action. First came the armed trucks, tanks, and armored cars. The ghetto fighters poured a hail of bullets, grenades and bombs, the fighting went on for twenty-eight days. The guerrillas fought to the last . Many committed suicide at the moment before capture. The Germans dragged survivors from the cellars and rubble. Fewer than 100 escaped, the last 60000 Jews had been exterminated or killed in the explosions and fires.Polish sources reported that the fighters had killed 300 Germans and wounded 1000. From Warsaw Jewish resistance moved to swamps and forests .

A magnificent and historically challenging tale

Author: Nicholas Barrett from Paris, France
27 February 2014

"Uprising" is an epic that deserves the widest possible audience among those who care to watch more about the lives, destiny, fate and remarkable bravery of Jews under Hitler's monstrous III Reich. The film also helps to remedy misconceptions about Jewish history.

I rate it alongside Polanski"s "The Pianist", also set in the Warsaw Ghetto, Stephen Daldry's "The Reader" and "Amen" by Costa-Gavras, to name but three. But the latter films deal more with the plight of Jews as victims of the Nazis and moral issues evoked by the horror of the death camps, while this movie focuses on a less well-known but tremendously heroic aspect of the war in Eastern Europe, in which Jews refused to submit to the slaughter.

At a length of almost three hours and with a superb ensemble cast, "Uprising" recounts the story of the armed insurrection against German invaders by Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto that began in April 1943, from its inception months earlier to the ruthless crackdown - by means of weapons, gas and even water - that put an end to the main insurgency but not Jewish resistance.

Those hours never drag. We are shown a realistic treatment of daily life and death, conflict and mass destruction in the Ghetto. We follow the debates and acts of the Jewish Resistance Movement, particularly once it learns for sure that the hundreds of thousands of deportees from the Ghetto are being transported not to labour camps but to their extermination. "Uprising" also gives the viewpoint of those, including Jewish community leaders, who refused to back armed insurrection on practical or moral grounds.

The first time I watched the movie I gave it an 8/10, but have upped that score to a 10/10, for all its minor flaws, upon "going to source" for a while and discovering how much writer Paul Brickman and director Jon Avnet shared a commitment to accuracy, down to small details.

It's hard to know whether they told the truth about the love affairs that bonded some of the Jews in heart and spirit, but no matter. Such relationships are among the many things that give depth and humanity to the film, along with family ties and grief, and like dilemmas faced by collaborators and some of the Jewish police who served as puppets of the occupants.

Two or three people change sides, including a black marketeer and brothel owner who comes to play an important role, and they are tested according to a code laid down early in the film as a deceptively simple classroom debate on the possibility of being a moral person in an immoral world. We see what the leader of the Jewish community does on being ordered by the Germans to put children on the trains, we see the director of a Ghetto orphanage confronted by more kids than he can afford to take in, we see a woman tied with ropes to a chimney pot so that she can swing round and around on a rooftop to hurl Molotov cocktails down on troops marching into the Ghetto along with a Tiger tank, we see the daily struggle for food and we see courageous expeditions outside the walls and barbed wire to obtain guns, ammunition and explosives and to inform the Allies about the death camps.

Most surreal of all, we see Fritz Hippler, the filmmaker ordered by Nazi propaganda chief Joseph Goebbels to make a hateful movie on "The Eternal Jew", in action several times shooting the violence of the Uprising, to the chagrin of German generals confounded by the astounding initial success of the Jewish resistance decimating their troops in a well-planned surprise attack.

Critics in other posts have accused the film of being unfair to the so-called "Aryan" Poles in Warsaw, claiming that they are portrayed as anti-Semitic, but this is not evident. True, some Poles are shown up as cowards living a life in fear, but others maintain safe houses outside the Ghetto for the Jewish resistance, which also gets support from the like of railway workers. However, the Polish national resistance rejects pleas from Jews for more weapons. Their arguments for denying help may seem spurious with historical hindsight, but they are tactical ones, which leave us to decide whether there is underlying prejudice.

What has long intrigued me has been the fiercely combative spirit of the Israeli people - despite the loss of six million lives and the tremendous scars borne by countless others after the Holocaust - that played a part in the swift and sometimes bloody foundation of Israel in Palestine, in political haste soon after World War II. This strength of will strikes me as being rooted in more than a fight to rebuild and maintain a Biblical homeland. In saying that, I equally fiercely refuse to bear either with Zionist extremists or their foes. But to watch "Uprising" is to help right a historical wrong that presents Jews as being the perpetual victims of persecution down the centuries, who never organized themselves and fought back.

In Warsaw, they did rise up and the film testifies to the way in which a deep-rooted, shared faith underpins such action, however hopeless it may seem. The insurrection was inevitably crushed, but when the film ends, we learn that afterwards, for all the might of the Wehrmacht behind them, German soldiers were too scared to enter the Ghetto at night for fear of "Jewish ghosts". Is it possible that the state of Israel has survived in part due to the persistence of ghosts?

People of the other side

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
10 January 2007

Jewish people living in the ghetto in Warsaw during the second world war decide one day in 1943 they have had enough.They are going to fight back.They get some guns against the Nazies and start killing those bastards.Jon Avnet's Uprising (2001) is a really gripping TV movie.I actually saw it in four parts.The acting is superb.Hank Azaria plays the leader Mordechai Anielewicz and he's very convincing.The way he portrays the rage and all...Only a good actor can make you believe those feelings are real.A good actor does not act at all. David Schwimmer as Yitzhak Zuckerman proves he can be so much more than just Ross Geller of Friends.Leelee Sobieski is brilliant as Tosia Altman.The two legendary actors, Donald Sutherland and Jon Voight are both fantastic.Sutherland gives a mighty touching performance as the Jewish Adam Czerniakow.Voight does the part of the Nazi Maj.Gen.Jurgen Stroop and he's almost scary as that monster.There are also talents such as Stephen Moyer (Simha Rotem), Sadie Frost (Zivia Lubetkin), Mili Avital (Devorah Baron), Alexandra Holden (Frania Beatus) and Cary Elwes (Dr. Fritz Hippler).Uprising is a movie about hope back in the days a man had turned into beast.Of course the hope does come in a very violent form but that's the only way possible against the ruthless enemy.I myself felt a lot of joy every time a Nazi got shot.This movie gives a rare opportunity to see the Jews win.At least for a while.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]