IMDb > See Spot Run (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
See Spot Run

See Spot Run More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Get a grip people, it was a comedy.

Author: cbenavidez from Arizona
12 March 2001

Man where do these people come from. You weren't watching some deep love story or some in depth drama. It was a comedy! I can't believe all of the bad comments on this movie. It was meant to be fun and funny and it was both. Think about it, would it have been as funny if David Arquette acted serious.

I hear people saying that it was the worst movie ever. Give me a break, let your hair down. This movie was enjoyable, not only for kids, but for adults as well. I couldn't stop laughing. Call me simple minded, but I'll probably live about 10 years longer than all of scourers that forgot how to laugh.

It was clean and it was funny. All I can say is that the people that put this movie down are probably the same people that loved Me, Myself and Irene. It seems that humor, with no taste, is the trend. As for me, I'm glad we can get back to good clean fun.

For those of you who thought it was terrible, fortunately, the Box Office will say differently.

Fair for kids, horrible for anyone else

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
3 March 2001

While I guess there will be some kids (many of them with the attention span of 5 seconds) who will like this film, however, I think the reccomended dosage of kid film juice of this season that's better is Recess. Oh well. Anyway, the film is a overly stupid (and this is from someone who gave A+ to Billy Madison and Dumb and Dumber) and with bad comic actors (it's a shame to see Michael Clarke Duncan in a badly written comic role after giving his gripping film The Green Mile) with a bad story. It might appeal some, but I think adults and parents will find that they would rather be at home with they're kids doing nothing instead of paying 8 dollars for the same thing. D+

Run from 'Spot'

Author: Kevin Donohue from Kansas City, Missouri, USA
22 August 2001

Unfunny, often inane story of an FBI crime-fighting dog on the run from the mob and catches up with a dopey mailman attempting supervision of a boisterous young boy. 'Turner & Hooch' did this sort of thing far better! I think most children would roll their eyes at this mess. Grade: D

A Waste of Time & Film

Author: Hotoil
20 February 2001

This movie is horrible, and I doubt they thought different as they put it together. David Arquette continues his moronic and annoying character that we have seen in the majority of his films and his phone commercials. He is pretty much unbearable to watch. Of course I knew that going in and the screening was free (for me), but I almost wanted a refund on the 90 minutes of my life wasted on this awful attempt at a comedy. Please, avoid at all costs, save yourself!

As we watch, we can feel our own IQ dropping. Relentlessly inane--worse than you might expect. * (out of four)

Author: Blake French (baffilmcritic@cs.com) from USA
9 March 2001

SEE SPOT RUN / (2001) * (out of four)

If you have seen the trailers, TV ads, or poster for the new family comedy "See Spot Run," you probably do not have great expectations for its quality. Unfortunately for Warner Brother, the movie turns out to be even worse than you might anticipate. This predictable, disposable production is complete with tons of desperate jokes dealing with dog poop, bad luck, inflated bubble wrap, fish tanks, clumsiness, an electrified dog collar, passing gas, and, or course, a canine sinking his incisors into a respectable man's private parts. "See Spot Run" proves to be painful for most adult audiences, and perhaps even a bit too amateurish for its target age group. This is just an all-around bad movie.

The story contains a few funny scenes and a hysterical performance by Leslie Bibb, but everything else is a complete waste of time and money.

The story opens with a powerful gangster named Sonny Talia (Paul Sorvino) becoming a victim of the wrath of a canine cop's painful bite. He is caught during an FBI drug bust and holds a grudge against the authority's dog for biting off one of his family jewels. Talia orders an assassination on the dog, who is loved by the FBI's dog handler (Michael Clarke Duncan, the gentle giant from "The Green Mile"). When the police find out about the animal's life is in danger, they immediately rush him into a version of the witness protection program.

The dog ends up in the hands of two bumbling nitwits, school-aged James (Angus T. Jones), and the much dumber Gordon (David Arquette). Gordon is baby-sitting James for a favor for his mother, Stephanie (Leslie Bibb), who finds herself out of town on business, but ends up in one amusing situation after another. Because Gordon has a conventional crush on Stephanie, he feels pressured into be a responsible individual for once. When the dog comes into contact with the targeted dog, his plan backfires and pandemonium ensue into one madhouse situation after another.

"See Spot Run" is a classic example of how low American cinema thinks of children. The filmmakers must really think their audience is moronic for them to push a movie like this our way. Look at the recent trend of horrible family comedies. From "The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas," to "Snow Day" to "The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle," Hollywood consistently demonstrates it sees little intelligence in today's young people.

There was a time when kids would realize "See Spot Run" for the trash it truly is; the time when "Beethoven" felt inspiring and funny, or when "Lassie" felt fresh and inspiring. Now, the modern withdraw in pet movies come as dimwittedness, vulgarity, and at the expense of the movie's characters. Is it really all that entertaining going to the theater to watch a character step in doggie poo, getting his head stuck in a glass fishbowl, and become entangled in inflating plastic wrap? Come on. Those things belong in the Saturday morning cartoons. People only except them here because the production as a whole is so childish. The film tries to be a live action cartoon, and David Arquette does a good job as the animation.

"See Spot Run" provides a few laughs, but at the same time we can feel our IQ dropping to the level of its imbecile characters.

As bad as it looks.

Author: Megan_Koumori
23 April 2003

Incredibly bad movie about a numbskull mailman (It's David Arquette! Of course he's not going to be Einstein!) who has to look after his neighbor's kid, and then finds himself also taking care of a big slobbering mutt targeted by mobsters.

Almost as bad (if not worse) than this year's Kangaroo Crap...er, Jack. Will mostly likely appeal to young pre-teen boys between nine and eleven who have generously donated the left half of their brain to science.

Why?!

Author: Movie-Guru from California
2 April 2002

Why do movie studios waste so much time and money on such stupid and horrible films? I mean WHY??? Do they LIKE making such bad films? Maybe we'll never know, but we DO know this: See Spot Run is so bad, even the littlest and dumbest kids would find it annoying and pointless. David Arquette (sp? doesn't matter, he doesn't deserve to have his name spelled right) tries too hard to be funny and its an aweful shame seeing Michael Clarke Duncan in such a bad movie. See Spot Run deserves NO stars, thats how bad it is, If you want to see a good comedy/kid film, rent Cats & Dogs, but skip See Spot Run.

`See Spot Run', how about `See the Audience Run' when this garbage is finally over.

Author: mattdoolittle
5 January 2002

`See Spot Run' (2001)

½* out of ****

Reviewed by Matt Doolittle

`See Spot Run' is a lame family film that might be cute if we haven't have seen it fifty million times before. It is about a police dog that bites a major mob guy, who vows that he will not rest until the dog is dead. The police send the dog to a protective service kennel in Alaska but unfortuntatly the dog is sent to a complete moron named Gordon. He is deeply in love with his neighbor and his philosophy is that if he can get her son to like him, he can get her. She runs into a babysitting problem and of course he is right there to help her out. The kid finds the dog and automatically assumes that it is his. It was about this point where you can guess the rest of the story because it is so predictable; at least I did.

This movie assumes that everything from stepping in dog poop to getting electrocuted by an electric dog collar is funny and of course they underestimate the audience by a lot. This movie is so terribly unfunny that it is painful to watch and more painful to listen to anyone laugh at. Yes, unfortunately a few people in the audience laughed and I still have no idea why. The jokes were lame, the kid actor was annoying and David Arquette is his own usual character, the moron.

The makers of this film assume too much of the audience and that is their first mistake of millions of others. The direction is nowhere and the effects and props are so horrible that this film must have cost five dollars to make. I will give the film credit though; they selected the perfect cast of a bunch of no name actors who play good morons. I recommend this film to anyone under 5 or over 80, but any one else who can't sleep in cinema chairs won't like it.

Stupid, but not terrible

Author: GHCool from Studio City, CA, USA
2 April 2002

"See Spot Run" is probably one of the stupidest movies I've seen in a while, however it is not THAT bad. After reading reviews of it last year, I vowed never to see it. But fate is cruel and I was in a hotel room with nothing to do last weekend and saw it on HBO or something. It certainly was bad, but some parts kind of funny.

The "I'm covered in ca-ca" sequence, the zebra fart, and the testicle stuff were the only REALLY TERRIBLE scenes in the movie. All three could have been cut out with the plot in tact. Everything else in the movie was dumb, but standard kiddie dumbness in the way the Beethoven movies are dumb. And it did have a message about responsibility that kids can learn from. As an adult, I thought the was really dumb, but when I was a kid, I thought that sort of stuff was pretty funny.

Run Away From Spot!

Author: Patrick Brogan from Glendale, Arizona, U.S.A.
9 March 2001

I would like to meet the Warner Brothers executive who said, "yea, we'll sign Mr. David Arquette to a film deal." If I met that executive, I would grab that person by the back of their pants and shirt and throw that person out of a ten story building window. And with my guess that person gave David Arquette a film deal because of his wife, Courtney Cox. Maybe it was to cut down her asking price to do another season of FRIENDS? Anyways, SEE SPOT RUN is another film that you wonder why was this film made, and why didn't the money for the cost of this film go to help the hungry in Africa, or cut down the homless factor in America. I think the studios would get better publicity and press by doing humanity work than releasing pieces of garbage like this. There are so many things wrong with this movie. The plot? Simple, a dog who is the K-9 unit of the FBI caputres mob boss Sonny Talia (Paul Sorvino), causing Sonny to lose one of his testies. Sonny misses his testie, so he has a hit man, Gino (Joe Viterelli) go out and kill the dog, animal rights activists where are you when we need you!!! K-9 goes and hides with a dog hating mailman Gordon (David Arquette) and a little boy (Angus T. Jones) that is the son of a girl that Gordon is trying to impress (Leslie Bibb). And federal agent Murdoch (Michael Clarke Duncan) thinks that the K-9 is in federal protection and doesn't know that the dog's life is in danger. There is your multi-million dollar plot! And it cost a lot less money to buy the scripts of such movies as RESERVOIR DOGS, DESPERADO, CROUCHING TIGER, and even TITANIC!!!! Why oh why do studio executives greenlight these films?!?!? Simple, they see a dollar product. "Good, bad, who cares? Let's just see how much money it will make." Says the nasty executive, "and when it's out on video, let's make a copy of it be $14.99 so every house hold in America will own a copy." Hey, every house hold in America already has a piece of garbage in their houses, and the garbage man comes by weekly to pick it up. Why would anyone want to take home garbage? What ittitaes me first is seeing good actors like Michael Clarke Duncan, Anthony Andersen, Paul Sorvino, and Joe Viterelli in this film. I don't know why the talented Andersen is doing bad movies, he's very talented, he should be staring in films of his own. Michael Clarke Duncan, well, he'll be forgiven since he's going to be in PLANET OF THE APES later this summer. But Paul Sorvino and Joe Viterelli aren't so lucky. They are casted, again, as mafia men, which is another example of Hollywood cast-typing. How could Paul Sorvino eleven years later go from doing GOODFELLAS to this? And how could Joe Viterelli go from doing ANALYZE THIS to...well, this? As for Mr. 1-800-CALL-ATT? I have to agree with one of the writers of Entertainment Weekly, David Arquette should have his own one man version of SURVIVOR, and be left on that island alone forever. And why, oh why does this film make more money that CHOCOLATE, REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, WONDER BOYS, and ALMOST FAMOUS?!?!?! Gee, it's just showing the rest of the world what idiots some America audiences are. And we critize France for enjoying Jerry Lewis. Well, I would give anything to see Jerry Lewis do his, "hey ladies!" than seeing Arquette dance the "George Jefferson" or the "E.T." It's only March of 2001, and we already have one of the worst movies of the year. But that's no surprise, I mean READY TO RUMBLE, BABY GENIUSES, WING COMMANDER, and SPICE WORLD all were released in early seasons of the year. But this film will be remembered by the end of the year, as it makes a ton of critics top ten worst films list of the year. This film, along with DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR? makes BATTLEFIELD EARTH look like Masterpiece Theater. Avoid this film at all costs, unless you're asking for a sucidal death wish. * (out of five)

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]