IMDb > See Spot Run (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Laughed out loud.

Author: Martin Hoare from Berkshire, England
18 June 2001

Having just seen this film I find it hard to understand the severely critical comments. It's funny, there is no bad language or nudity and the story is well told. My yardstick for measuring a film is simple - was I entertained? 'See Spot Run' entertained me very much and I left the theatre still chuckling. 'SSR' is rated PG in the UK, which means it is suitable for children, but parents may wish to check for content they may consider inappropriate for their children first. The children who shared the theatre with me thoroughly enjoyed it judging by their laughter. It sounded as if most, if not all, of the adults were also laughing. It's a children's comedy - all you critics, don't take it so seriously. David Arquette does a very good job in the lead. The business with the dog doo was very well played and I enjoyed the way his manic behaviour calmed throughout the film until he was becoming almost normal at the end. If you have any doubts about going to see this having read the negative comments, just wait for the video, but you will miss out on the pleasure of sharing your laughter with an audience.

One of the most hilarious dog films I have watched since I was a kid.

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
4 July 2013

When I first saw this movie(See Spot Run) I was 10 years old and myself and my mom decided to go and see this film. A couple of years later I saw it on TV and I had to record it on VHS. So without further ado here is the story.

An FBI agent called Murdock(played by the late actor Micheal Clarke Duncan) is on a case in the opening of the film, where this mafia has illegal drugs that they hid in a painting can. So to solve it he sends his dog Agent 11 to sniff around to find the cocaine,and he eventually brings them down,but they later escape. Meanwhile a mailman named Gordon(played by Courtney Cox's ex husband David Arquette who looks an awful lot like Ryan Reynolds here back in 2001) is a dog hater who is cocky and not that pleasant to be around,that is until he has to mind his secret crush's (Lesily Bibb)son(played by Angus T Jones) as she has to go away for a while on some trip. But meanwhile when Agent 11 gets lost as a suspicious woman comes into the FBI working force field to take Agent 11 to Alaska,she switches the tags only for Agent 11 to somehow escape and later meet Gordon and the little boy.

As Agent 11 spends some time with Gordon and the little boy,the little pooch has to decide who he wants to stay with and what he wants to do. Either to be a FBI agent dog who can't have some fun,or a household pet with Gordon and the little boy. You can smell the ending A MILE AWAY but still though what do I think of it.

Well firstly I think the low rating is appalling I mean it could AT LEAST get a 7.5 out of 10 it was the same for another movie that got a 7.5 out of 10 and 90% in Rotten Tomatoes,See Spot Run got 23% in Rotten Tomatoes,clearly these people aren't kids at heart and they hate dogs like Gordon from the movie.

But to be quite honest this film had me in stitches and i'll tell ya one scene that had me laughing so hard,THE PET STORE scene why?? because it was so silly yet hilarious at the same time as the owner of the store was too busy listening to her Walkman to see what is going on in the store as the 2 Mafia men that were after Agent 11(now known as Spot hence the title of the film as he has to run from the FBI and the mafia as he doesn't want to be caught up in a tangled web)were in the store and Gordon was blown up in this bubblegum wrapper with the squeaky voice.

So yeah I really enjoyed this movie,is it the best film of all time NO,but do I like it YES I thought it was so hilarious and if you love dog movies then check it out.

See Spot Run gets two thumbs up for me.

See Spot Run

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
1 February 2013

I knew that this film had a dog in it, apart from that I had no idea about the cast, plot or much else really, I did however know it was most likely going to be a cheesy film, from director John Whitesell (Big Momma's House 2, Deck the Halls, Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son). Basically crime fighting bullmastiff dog Agent 11 has been with the FBI in Seattle for a few years, trained by his master Agent Murdoch (Michael Clarke Duncan), and on one particular they are going after Mafia boss Sonny Talia (Paul Sorvino), who is taken to hospital after the dog rips off one of his testicles to be surgically replaced. Talia wants payback and tells his two bodyguards Gino (Joe Viterelli) and Arliss (Steve Schirripa) to kill the pooch while it is being transported for protection to an Alaskan training facility, but the dog escapes before they can catch him. Gordon Smith (David Arquette) who works as a mailman, and he like so many other mailmen hate dogs in the back or front yard as they are trying to deliver letters and packages, and he has volunteered for his neighbour Stephanie (Leslie Bibb) to look after her six year old son James (Two and a Half Men's Angus T. Jones). They meet Agent 11, and after a mistake involving a stuffed toy dog James thinks the real dog is for him, he is given the new name "Spot", but being trained by the FBI he is not a regular dog, he has been taught since being a puppy not to play or be distracted, so no catching balls or frisbees. While Gino and Arliss continue to look for the dog, Gordon understands James is getting very close to Spot, but he is constantly being annoyed by his presence, as time goes by though they are becoming successful in making himself a regular playful dog. After an encounter with the bodyguards in a pet store, the FBI realise Agent 11 is missing, and eventually they locate him and Agent Murdoch arrives to take his dog back, but the dog escapes again, only to come against Talia again as he attempts to kill the dog himself, but he is outsmarted, caught and arrested. In the end the FBI still try to take their agent dog back, but Spot is given the choice to go back with them or stay with his new friends, he chooses Gordon and James, but he licks Murdoch goodbye, and Stephanie, who has gone through hell, returns upset, but James helps out, and they kiss each other. Also starring Scary Movie 3's Anthony Anderson as Benny and Kim Hawthorne as Cassavettes. Arquette is the sort of actor who would choose to be in a film like this, but he is pretty good actually, Bibb gets her own giggles, Jones is cute as the boy, and the dog of the picture is obviously a good character himself, I can see the resemblance combination to Turner & Hooch and Home Alone, the story is simple enough, it obviously has the silly and boring moments, but overall it is fun, a cheesy but acceptable family comedy. Worth watching!

Deep poopy grass

Author: (rickz@btl.net) from Belize
31 May 2003

When I was still working, and a guy really screwed up, we would say

"Well, he's in deep poopy grass now!"

This movie defines that term. David Arquette walks in it, falls in it, and ultimately undresses to wipe it off. All of which is funny funny physical comedy. I used to think he was just a stupid geek, and wondered what Courteney Cox saw in him, but he looks like a nice guy, and he really does physical stuff well.

Since I don't have any 6 to 8 year olds around to tell me that this is all old stuff -- especially the dog training collar controlled by a five-year-old -- I had a really good time watching it. Better than "dumb and dumber" -- which is just plain embarassing. At least this one is obviously aimed at little ones.

However, I did sneak a peak or two at Leslie Bibb after she'd been through the sprinkers, and she looked pretty good to me.

A positive review of See Spot Run

Author: HollyNickeson from USA
4 July 2002

See Spot Run is a hilarious movie. It is a family film perfect for all ages. James (the child) is adorable, as is Spot, the dog. David Arquette is believably clumsy and clueless as Gordon the dog-hating mailman, who as a child was abandoned in a mailbox. Gordon's best friend Benny is one of the funniest people in the movie. This is my favorite movie because it's just so funny! I urge you to see it--if you have kids, this will become a staple in your DVD or video collection, frequently watched!

This is the funniest movie EVER!

Author: Katie (Oscar2Katie@hotmail.com) from New York
24 May 2002

How can you guys say this movie is bad it's soo good and funny! My dad even laughed at it and it takes a pretty funny movie to get him to laugh he laughed a lot at it I would recommend this movie for anyone that needs a good laugh my favorite part is when he gets locked out of his house and lands in dog poop or the part where he's in the pet store it's soo funny me and my family watched this at our Easter party and everyone was laughing at it I don't know what your guys problem is this movie is GREAT!

Puerile Postman teaches Police Pooch to Play

Author: (pkjohna) from Falls Church, VA
8 April 2002

Think "Dumb and Dumber" meets "Big Daddy" all while trying to break a repressed ex-FBI pooch out of it's shell. If you're looking for an Oscar winner then go see some critically acclaimed waste of time. If you want to laugh yourself silly with some kids then this is a decent rental.

What a hoot!

Author: Rick from Michigan
4 April 2002

Based on the other feedback I've seen for this movie, I think some people just need to lighten up. I haven't laughed this hard at a movie in a long time. Maybe I was just in the mood for some slapstick. But I think it was because it was a well written, well acted and tightly edited film. If you're in the mood to solve homelessness or bring world peace, go rent Ghandhi or something. If you want a fun, silly good time, this is the flick!

David Arquette has proven just how funny he is again!

Author: dewdrop1648 from Washington State
2 December 2001

David Arquette is the coolest actor, and I loved this movie. All of my friends and I went and saw this in the theater the day it came out. Picture this a bunch of 14 year olds sitting in the front row laughing harder than anyone else in the whole theater. Well that would have been us. We even got hushed by a group of 5 year olds. We are the biggest fans of David Arquette..so we didn't care if people were looking at us. Anthony Anderson was also hilarious and the little boy was adorable. All you adults on here dissing on this movie shouldn't be, it was aimed for little kids. The kids must have enjoyed it because it was #1 in the Box office and it was totally diserved.

Better than I thought

Author: scottmh
16 September 2001

We rented "See Spot Run" on DVD the other day and I put off watching it expecting absolute garbage.

However, I was pleasantly surprised at how much better this movie was than I was expecting. Of course, it's a kid's movie, and one has to expect that before watching. A lot of people on here have wrote it off as completely stupid, pointless, etc.; however, after all, it's just a kid's movie, what is one to expect?

I actually enjoyed the movie, especially Anthony Anderson. Also, David Arquette isn't THAT bad. His 1-800-Collect or whatever commercials ARE TERRIBLE. But the whole two movies, count 'em, two movies I've seen him in he wasn't half bad.

If you want to judge a movie that was made for adults (not geared towards the kiddies like this movie) watch "The Musketeer" which is a TERRIBLE movie.

It was obvious that this was filmed in and around Vancouver B.C. as many scenes are filmed in Stanely Park, even though it's Supposed to be Seattle.

Leslie Bibb was also HOT. The blue "special effects" when a character gets electrocuted were especially stupid, I will admit. Otherwise, it was entertaining, at the least, which is the whole purpose of watching a movie, isn't it?

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]