IMDb > Rat Race (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rat Race

Rat Race More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 50: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

funny

Author: biggin-1 from United States
7 August 2005

This movie is completely hilarious at times! "You should have bought a squirrel!" "I'm in a race. I'm winning! I'm winning" The cast of characters provide a perfect mix of comedy. The wrong coin flip call also really happened many years ago on Thanksgiving day during a Steelers-Lions game. Jerome "the bus" Bettis called the coin flip correctly; however, the referee heard him wrong. That started my Pittsburgh Steelers downfall that year (I don't believe they won another game that year). Amy Smart's Psycho character flying the helicopter was great. Too bad she didn't get topless with Breckin Meyer like she did in "Road Trip!" Oh well, you can't have it all I guess.

Why?

Author: kraemerdenis from Germany
2 August 2005

I certainly enjoyed the original movie, but this "remake" just lacked everything. The plot is not the best, most characters are a very bad joke and the acting is far from splendid. The only time I could really laugh (probably because I am a history student and on top of that from Germany and therefore knew what was meant) was in the scene with the "Barbie" museum. I was watching this in a movie theater in Scotland and apart from me, nobody seemed to get the joke... I wonder how it was in America (or anywhere else for that matter). Apart from that, the classic is still way ahead of this. So, why even try to make a new version of a classic when you can't even get close to it?

A nice comedy to lighten up a miserable day

Author: Philip Van der Veken from Tessenderlo, Belgium
2 August 2005

I must say that I had some very high expectations when I saw the names of the actors that played a role in this comedy. With people like John Cleese and Rowan Atkinson, I hoped for the best, although I must also admit that I'm not a fan of Whoopi Goldberg, which still made me doubt about it. However, I didn't see it as a reason not to watch this movie and that's why I gave this "Rat Race" a try.

When a group of billionaires is searching for something new to bet on, they find the perfect solution for their 'problem' in the new game that Las Vegas casino owner Donald P. Sinclair has invented. He has pulled a group of six strangers together and tells them that they will have to race to Silver City, New Mexico, where the first one to arrive will be able to retrieve $2 million hidden in a locker. The only rule is that there are no rules. Everything is allowed in order to get there first. At first they don't really believe this is a true race, but it doesn't take long before the narcoleptic Italian immigrant, the desperate father, the disgraced NFL referee, the decent lawyer, a team made up by a mother and daughter and another one made up by two weird brothers all embark on this weird adventure.

What I liked most about this comedy was that it didn't rely on all those fart jokes and other toilet humor that you find too often in today's comedies. This is still a movie full of decent jokes and I must say that I had some very good laughs with it. However, that doesn't mean that this was a perfect movie. Take for instance Rowan Atkinson. I normally like all his parts, but this time I was quite disappointed by his performance. I'm not saying that I know someone better to play the role of Enrico Pollini, but this certainly wasn't Atkinson's finest. On the other hand I must say that John Cleese was very nice as the eccentric casino owner.

Overall this isn't the best comedy ever, but I like to see it as one of those guilty pleasures, which can sometimes lighten up a miserable day. The story is completely over-the-top and absurd, but that's OK, because this is a comedy. The acting is pretty good most of the time and especially John Cleese and Cuba Gooding Jr. were a nice surprise. That's why I give this movie a rating between 6.5/10 and 7/10.

Very, very funny

Author: James Sankey from United Kingdom
28 July 2005

Rat Race is a very very funny film and i don't see how anybody could fail to find this film an absolute hoot. The plot is very simple and so it is impossible to not know what is going on. What raises this particular comedy above so many others is the fact it knows that it is completely ridiculous and Jerry Zucker (director) takes full advantage of this fact. Some of the characters are also truly hilarious like Enriqo Pellinni (Rowan Atkinson) who is a mad Italian who has a weird habit of falling asleep in the most unusual of place. Another funny character is Randall Pear (Jon Lovitz) who is a middle aged Jewish man who ends up stealing Adolf Hitlers car and then gatecrashing a anti Nazi rally, it is the set pieces like this which really bring this film to life. Overall i think that Rat Race is an extremely funny film which deserves a place in the top 250 films. GO WATCH IT NOW!!!!

Think "Cannonball Run"... without the style or the comedy !!

Author: devinecomic from UK
19 July 2005

OK, so my summary is a little harsh! What we have here is an assembly of big name, big fee, comedic actors in a film designed for American audiences. The laughs are not necessarily predictable, and are not necessarily that funny either.

Fair to say, there is something for everyone... and possibly some things for no-one! Perhaps this movie is the culmination of a study of American audiences, whereby, the results show that if you've had one good laugh, you feel like you have seen a good comedy. Yes, funny accents, poking fun, silly noises, humorous situations, confusion, and comedic corruption. As for the bit with the Jewish family and Hitler's car... I'm not sure whether that is at all tasteful, and could possibly be construed as offensive.

In a word, "Watchable." I rated a "5"

Rat Race is one of my favorite films

Author: saint405 from United States
23 June 2005

We start in Las Vegas with about six groups of people. A referee who is wanted by millions due to a bogus coin flip at a football game, a mother who hasn't seen her daughter in over ten years, two con artist brothers, a smart and wise gentleman who has had his movie bill gone through the roof from a bachelor party, an Italian tourist who is just happy to be alive, and a husband who is willing to lie to his wife and kids to gamble. They all receive one gold coin while gambling and find out from the hotels owner, Mr. Donald Sinclair that this coin puts them in a race from Las Vegas to Silver City, New Mexico to open a locker that consist of Two Million Dollars. By that said let the race begin! Rat Race is a modern version of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. From where the journey starts, Rat Race is a wild treat that brings lots of laughs as you watch six groups of desperate people go across the country for greed facing cops, crazy squirrel ladies, rocket cars, wild taxi drivers, a tour bus filled with I Love Lucy girls, a pasture of cows, a medic who wants to look at the organs he transporting, Nazi's, and more! Director Jerry Zucker has given us a well made film that is smart and classy. With a solid cast, good script, and funny performances Rat Race gets the two big thumbs up and is well recommended!

People liked this?

Author: robot-cat from Llano, TX
18 February 2004

This is just a poor clone of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

It had a good enough cast and a decent premise, but most of the jokes just weren't funny.

I'm still surprised at the rating for this. My guess is that the folks that thought this was funny are ignorant of the classics.

terrible!

Author: apailate (apailate@hotmail.com) from auckland, new zealand
30 November 2003

I was expecting to see this movie in the worst 100 films category! I

don't know why it's got such a high rating. There's only a few laughs in the whole film, the actors in this film performed their worst performances in their careers. I'll give this film a 3 out of 10.

overrated

Author: vladymirror from Japan
14 October 2003

I have delayed the viewing of this movie for so long since I had my doubts, but finally I decided to give it a try and I regret it. I like Zuckerfs no-brainers from "Airplane!," "Naked Gun" and the likes, but this one was too directionless and shallow.

The premise of "Rat Race" is the "Cannonball" series concept. A few randomly selected people have to race from point A-Las Vegas to point B-a town in New Mexico. The one who gets there first receives 2 million dollars. If I have to single out my favorite character among this bunch I would be really at a loss for an answer: all of them were equally uninteresting and dull.

I wouldn't recommend this movie to my friends. With the exception of the few funny moments the rest is just to boring. On few occasions I had to resort to the fast-forward button on my remote control. 6 stats out of 10.

A very unfunny movie

Author: (393@columbusmail.com) from Powell OH USA
11 October 2003

I saw this movie at a .50 cent theater and it was a rip off. The one and only funny scene is of the two high school drop out teens. They are crying and trying to open the car doors in slow motion .They are unable to escape from the car, while if I remember correctly, a monster truck is trying to jump a row of cars and their car is last one in line. -Paul