IMDb > Rat Race (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rat Race

Rat Race More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 50: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Loved It !!

Author: aesgaard41 from United States
10 May 2002

I had heard rumors of a sequel to "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" for years using the comedic talents of the Eighties and then the Nineties, and there were a few to try to copy the idea, "Cannonball Run" comes to mind, but "Rat Race" is the only one with the sheer brillance or lunacy to top it. All the actors are great, but I have to pick out Seth Green, Jon Lovitz, Kathy Bates and Amy Smart for being the funniest. Watching it, I could parallel all the chacters in the movie to the older one: Atkinson to Winters, Knight to Silvers, Lovitz to Berle, Green to Rooney, Cain to Shawn and so on. The scenes with the hooker, millionaires and the Lucy impersonators are among my favorites along with the cow whose life is threatened to the extent she suddenly realizes she can talk ! The one thing I didn't like was the ending; it was sort of anti-climactic to me and didn't hold up to the rest of the movie. Smash Mouth was great ! But I would have expected something a little more unexpected although the final zinger to Cleese was a nice touch. I only hope there is a sequel !

The funniest movie ever made!

Author: Jack the Ripper1888 from Chicagooooooo
13 April 2002

Many words can be used to describe this movie. But certainly nothing negative. I would say delirious. Rowan Atkinson's character made the movie. Jon Lovitz, Whoopi Goldberg, John Cleese and the rest of the cast were all hilarious. This was one damn funny movie! 5/5.

very funny

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
4 April 2002

This was a very funny movie featuring a race for $2 million. The funniest scenes I thought were Cuba Gooding Jr and the Lucy impersonators on their way to an I Love Lucy convention. John Cleese sends everyone on a chase for the money, promising to whoever gets there first. I thought the cast was excellent, too!

*** out of ****

Rat Race (****/****)

Author: mikereed216 from West Jordan, UT
5 February 2002

Yes, you heard right. I'm giving this movie four stars out of four. Not that it's a brilliant piece of moviemaking or anything. But, it does exactly what it sets out to do - it is funny. Very funny. In fact, side-splittingly gut-wrenchingly funny. Funny enough to make it hysterical even after viewing it ten times.

The plot is simple: six strangers are rounded up and put into a race to get to Silver City, New Mexico - and $2 million that's in a locker there. From there, the racers, including a straight-faced Chicago lawyer (Breckin Meyer), a narcoleptic Italian tourist (Rowan Atkinson), a re-united mother/daughter team (Whoopi Goldberg/Lanei Chapman), a pair of scheming con artists (Seth Green/Vince Vieluf), a disgraced football referree (Cuba Gooding Jr.) and, funniest of all, a father of two who cannot tell his family why he is driving like a maniac to reach New Mexico (Jon Lovitz) are off on a frantic race to grab the cash, while wealthy hotel owner Donald Sinclair (John Cleese) watches with his favorite high rollers from a penthouse suite in Vegas.

This is definitely not a light comedy. When you go into this movie, be prepared to laugh, and to laugh HARD. When I first saw it, I had tears in my eyes, and I was clutching my sides as I slid out of my seat in fits of very loud laughter. There are several scenes in the movie that do this to people including one scene that you have to see to believe, involving a man being chased up a satellite tower by a car. And then there's two men having a fight using a cow. Or maybe a game of cat and mouse between a pickup truck and a helicopter is more your style. Whatever it is you laugh at, you're bound to find it in this movie, and much, much more. It's not just a great comedy - it takes the cake in my book as the funniest comedy ever made.

Rat Race is rated PG-13 for crude humor, violence and brief nudity. Despite these warning labels, however, it's a very mild PG-13, bordering sharply on a PG rating.

"YOU...SHOULD...HAVE...BOUGHT...A...SQUIRREL!"

Author: hippiedj from Palm Desert, California
5 February 2002

*Contains a few minor spoilers*

It's been a long, long time since there was a madcap celebrity filled chase film that actually was worth sitting through, and Rat Race succeeds on most levels, breathing some new life into this type of comedy genre.

Whether or not you want to compare it to It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, I liked the sprinkling of cameo roles here and there and the fact that the film just keeps moving. Plenty of creativity no matter how absurd it gets and the sheer zany atmosphere will keep you smiling whether the jokes hit or miss.

First and foremost, Kathy Bates as the squirrel lady STEALS THE WHOLE MOVIE! It was brilliant and sinister all at once. John Lovitz really carries the film and is such a natural (I still think he deserves huge praise for Mom And Dad Save The World). Not only is the Barbie Museum scene excrutiatingly funny (watch his eyes move around!) but his confrontation with the World War II vets will definitely be considered one of comedy's funniest moments in film. Would have made Mel Brooks proud! While Hollywood seems to be trying to focus so much on "established" tired comics like Eddie Murphy, it's really guys like Lovitz that have a true knack for comedy. He's underappreciated and made a great team with Kathy Najimy for this film (what he makes the poor daughter do so to avoid a rest stop is so nuts it brings back quite a few memories of family vacations I was subjected too!). Cuba Gooding, Jr.'s funnier moments were really when he would try to dodge being recognized as "that bonehead," and Whoopie Goldberg is funny because it almost seems as if her character from Ghost were transplanted into this film. Seth Green is surprisingly likeable though his character stops at nothing to get ahead in the race.

Besides the squirrel bit, other small things really shine more than some of the more played out segments. For instance, the rental car trainee had me really laughing as well as the gentle nature of the skinhead tour guides. These worked better than even the flying cow or the busload of Lucys. You'll really get a giggle out of the baby on the train, his lack of reaction to Rowan Atkinson made Rowan's role in the film more worthwhile. Gloria Allred yelling out a building "I SAW THAT! I'LL BE RIGHT DOWN!" when witnessing Wayne Knight running into Rowan Atkinson was a great moment.

While not 100% funny, Rat Race offers just enough zest to keep you entertained. Some of the strangest chases I've ever seen, and that helicopter on a rampage is a WOW. It's also nice to see faces like Rance Howard, Dean Cain, Colleen Camp, Wayne Knight, and Dave Thomas too. All this adds up to quite a lot of fun until the Smash Mouth concert....I don't mind a happy ending, but this could have been worked out just a little better. It just seems when you put a band that's popular "at the moment" in a concert scene, especially at the end, the film crashes. Ah well, at least Rat Race offers plenty more to enjoy, and is perfect for a good old silly time.

One thing's for sure, I can't get that choir version of the song Rat Race out of my head and I think I'm going to have to go get the soundtrack now!

I can't believe this movie is only number three!!!! (Some spoilers)

Author: dreammuffin from Amherst, MA
22 August 2001

Such a sin!!!! Such a travesty of Justice that this movie only came in at numbers three at the box office!!!! Everyone must see this film and bring all their friends with them!!!!

I don't know where to start talking about how much I enjoyed this fine screwball comedy film!!!! The cast was amazing!!! The Direction was superb!!! The grip guy gripped his well!!!! The extras did a wonderful job holding up Jon Lovitz!!!!

I wish I could share second-hand the orgasmic glee I experienced while watching this movie, But I'm afraid you will have to see it for yourself. I'll just highlight my favorite elements:

*The chase/action scenes- so well done with perfectly timed humor interwoven with the action. I especially enjoyed Vince Vieluf and Seth Green's action sequences together. They should be giving props for doing some of the most unappreciated hard work in the movie business.

*The sick screwball humor- from the flying cow, to the flying doo to the flying heart, this movie had me cracking up every second. A stand-out scene was Cuba Gooding Jr's hilarious description of his facetious wife's 'birth' (I swear, when I get this movie on tape I will rewind it to him saying "Vagina" in that creepy, panicked voice.) And every scene that featured Rowan Atkinson as a silly Italian man with a sleeping disorder had me busting a gut most painfully.

*The subtle comments on our society-In a day of so many heavy-handed dramas on what is wrong with the world, sometimes it takes a screwball comedy to impress a wider audience. I loved the relationship between Whoopi Goldberg and Lanai Chapman's character's, from the little time they were on the screen you got a feeling for their differing value systems-One spends all her money to finally meet her daughter, squarely putting relationships before money, the other is clearly in it for the cash, not even stopping to talk with the nice lady who gave them directions to the short-cut to Silver City. (Well, she seemed nice;))

*The love stories- Short and sweet. I thought Amy Smart and Nick Shaffer were so cute together, and Vince Vieluf was a scream showing off his piercings to the beautiful girl in the car beside him. If I get it on videotape I will most surely rewind it to the look on his face when she lifts her shirt and shows him her goodies. (only a side-view, don't worry parents)

*The heart underneath it all- Yeah, the ending was a bit silly, and nobody needs to hear "Hey now" by Smash Mouth again in this life. (or any) But the characters end up so likable and the man who speaks for "Feed The Children "at the end gave me a real feeling of the seriousness of those with real problems in comparison with the silliness that had ensued beforehand.

"Life is nothing' but a fat, rat race!"

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
23 September 2011

Rat Race doesn't score well in the highest denominator of comedy, but it does score big laughs and big smiles while it runs in circles hectically for almost two hours. Yet again, I revisit another film I idolized as a child. This was probably one of the first "truly adult" films I watched at a very young age. I've mentioned before I watched a lot of inappropriate things as a child, but somethings, left a permanent mark on me as a child and Rat Race is certainly one of them.

Sometimes, people ask me what got interested and familiar with film and I have to say Rat Race. This was the first film that introduced me to all the big named celebrities at the time. Everyone in this film is currently an active celebrity and has a number of movies under their belt, and I knew everyone's name by the second viewing. So, in terms of actors, I can honestly say, this one got me the most familiar with many of them.

The story is on its own medicine; The eccentric owner of a hotel resort named Donald Sinclair (Cleese) creates a new game to entertain the high-rollers of the casino where he will place six golden tokens in slot machines. Whoever gets a token, will be given a key. A key that opens a special locker in a train station in Silver City, New Mexico. In the locker is a duffel bag filled with $2 million. Whoever gets there first, claims the money. Simple as that.

The people involved are played by Breckin Meyer, Cuba Gooding Jr., Amy Smart, Jon Lovitz, Rowan Atkinson, Whoopi Goldberg, Seth Green, Lanei Chapman, and Vince Vieluf. Clearly, nothing shy of an ensemble comedy cast. After the rules are explained, the gang runs around like rats in a maze doing everything they can to get from Vegas to New Mexico as quickly as possible.

As one can imagine, they run into nothing but sticky, and undeniably hilarious, situations which causes grief on their part. It's classic laugh-at-someone-else's-misery-comedy executed very well. The film sort of mixes classics like Stanley Kramer's It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and Scavenger Hunt. Both films involved run of the mill situations, and characters struggling to make the next move half the time.

The only downside here, is the film gets carried away with itself. It's a bit too contrived, and very coincidental. But in a way it has to be to keep the comedy and action at a consistent level, and the irony and fun existing. Despite its own medicine being a bit too strong, Rat Race combines a great score along with it. The music in this film matches pitch perfectly to the stressful scenes, and the tense atmosphere these characters are clearly occupying.

Also equipped with delightful cameos, hilarious little side-stories, one of the best opening intros in recent memory, and an unexpecting and cherished end scene that shows even when consumed with greed and self-absorption that people are still likely to do admirable things, Rat Race is nothing shy of funny and well-made comedy. The audience it will attract is interesting because it can be fans of a good cast, fans of craziness in films, fans of classic cinema, fans of just good films, or a combination of every type. It's a universally appealing film that stands out for more than just its actors, but its message and its execution is all just remarkable.

Starring: Rowan Atkinson, John Cleese, Whoopi Goldberg, Cuba Gooding Jr., Seth Green, Jon Lovitz, Breckin Meyer, Amy Smart, Kathy Najimy, Lanei Chapman, Vince Vieluf, Dave Thomas, Wayne Knight, Kathy Bates, and Dean Cain. Directed by: Jerry Zucker.

Beautiful and fun with the flying cow

Author: robertofuiano from Italy
7 April 2010

Nice and funny film, suitable for laughing out loud while the cast of actors is excellent with the great Rowan Atkinson, Cuba Gooding Jr. The plot is really crazy and exciting, the film then there is no vulgarity. jhclues rightly says that is a crazy track jhclues but wow you put a full vote so tired, the film deserves more than a paltry 6.4, deserves a 7.8 for fun. Very nice scene where the man escaped by car jew Hitler in 2001 and USC this movie I saw today at the TV replay of my television and I laughed like crazy. Hear you laugh if you see yourself and Rat Race is fun, the pretty blonde full of piercings and the two brothers and unscrewed the fat wife of 'jew from between the Spanish and tits cumshot ehehe.

Dumb fun

Author: drawoh from United States
4 November 2006

It would be a shame to be too sophisticated to enjoy this silly movie. Critics hammered it for being a remake of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, or accused it of reverting back to MMMMW's formula of selling the movie with a hundred big names who do little more than mug for the camera.

But these guys are all busting their butts to entertain us. Yes, post-adolescents will be able to see most of the gags coming a mile away, but when their execution surpasses our expectations what's not to like? This is, after all, directed by the same Zucker who gave us Airplane, and it shares the same DNA.

Watch it with your kids, and appreciate the ending that leaves them with a nice message as a bonus. Even if you only cherry pick the scenes featuring a bus load of Lucy impersonators it's worth the rental.

A SO FUNNY nonsense!

Author: Arthur Ribeiro from Brazil
23 September 2006

Rat Race is a incredible movie and I really enjoyed it. It's full of the most nonsense situations that can exist, but I think that it shows, with a little exaggeration, the indiscriminated desire for money that we have today. And it's surprising. The humor is so well-timed! I remember the hilarious moments when we discover that the gentlemen called the bitch only for a bet, and when the blond (I don't remember the name) changes all her cute looking when she discover her boyfriend with another woman. It's some impossible appeal, I recognize, like the scene when the heart starts to pulse only with the eletricity, but it has so many funny and convincing moments that we forgot it and start to laugh anyway! Never the nonsense was so funny!