IMDb > Rat Race (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rat Race

Rat Race More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 50: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Underrated... except that it fizzles out at the end...

Author: mentalcritic from Southern Hemisphere
12 June 2003

I have seen John Cleese in two films that I have actually liked him in. Frankenstein was the other one. In this one, he plays an eccentric billionaire who loves a good bet. In a later sequence of the film, he has his pilot wobble the plane around violently in order to see who will throw up first. But central to this film's plot is that he gathers a good ten people to partake in a bet on a grand scale. In a locker within a train station in New Mexico, he has stashed two million dollars and made six copies of the key. The first team to get there, unlock the locker, and take the money gets to keep it.

Assembled for this mad race are a Narcoleptic Indian migrant (Rowan Atkinson), a materially-obsessed businesswoman and her long-lost mother (Whoopi Goldberg), and a football referee who is hated because of a botched coin toss call (Cuba Gooding, Jr. in a welcome return to form). And those are just the ones that have the craziest adventures (and the easiest ones to remember the actors' names). I would have liked to have seen what Bobcat Goldthwait would have done in a role like this, but there is always next time.

What makes this race so amusing is that no plausible extreme is deemed too over the top. A helicopter buzzing the pilot's boyfriend's house? Check. Driving to New Mexico with a bunch of Lucille Ball impersonators? Check. Hanging by a rope from a balloon and smashing into the sides of cows? Check. Even the opportunity to visit a World War II Revisionist museum and crash a convention of World War II veterans while physical injuries make you look like a bad Hitler impersonator isn't taboo here.

The only low point is the ending. After all of that excitement and lunacy, I really expected something better. Instead of a grand finale in which one last attempt is made to defy logic or reason, we get a corny cop-out ending at a concert for some lame pop band that wishes it was alternative. Not exactly what I would call a fitting end to one of the first films made in the last ten years that had me laughing from the beginning to the end.

So all in all, ten out of ten for the build-up, but minus two for the climax. Go and see it, you will not be disappointed, especially if your home theatre can handle Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks.

One of the best Funniest movies!

Author: butterfly904 (butterfly904@hotmail.com) from Brooklyn, NY
16 February 2003

I saw this and I thought it was outrageous! I couldn't stop laughing! I saw this movie about 7 times and I recomended it to almost ever one i know. So now I am recomending this movie to you (which I think deserves even more than 5 stars!)

Pathetic

Author: groovefamily
27 December 2002

Well, this movie feels so american. A couple of good actors, John Cleese is always funny to watch, and a couple of good jokes just isn´t enough. It´s a pathetic movie, it's so exaggerated in everything. I don't know, maybe it's aiming towards kids, if so it's probably good. But if you're older than.. let's say 15.. don't waste time on this one.

Attempts at Humor are Ubiquitous; actual Humor is Scarce

Author: Craig Burkhart from Crawfordsville, Indiana
30 November 2002

Once again we see an example of the old adage that you cannot remake "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World." Several films have gone down this path before including "Scavenger Hunt" and "Midnight Madness" and now "Rat Race." Each of these proves that your best bet is to rent the original and not waste time with insipid remakes. This movie tries really, really hard to wring laughter out of some situations which are so overwritten and staged that Suspension of Disbelief becomes impossible. The talents of several good actors are wasted attempting to wring laughs from a formula we've seen before. Evidently Hollywood decided it had been long enough since we'd seen it before and decided to reintroduce this formula figuring there were enough people out there with no sense of having seen this before. Well, not everyone is fooled and I, for one, would like to see a few more original ideas and a little less of this type of paint by numbers movie-making.

Silliness from Las Vegas to New Mexico

Author: MLDinTN from TN
3 October 2002

This movie is OK. It is about a group of people who must race to a town in New Mexico from Las Vegas to win $2 million. From that point on, silliness ensues.

(SLIGHT SPOILERS): There are a lot of famous actors in this movie. I guess my favorite was Jon Lovitz. The only part that made me laugh out loud was when Lovitz ends up at the WWII reception looking and talking like Hitler. Another good part is with the squirrel lady. The part with the cow and hot air balloon was just to silly to be funny.

Some other good parts was when the wealthy are seen making several crazy bets. Like how much a hooker wants to do some kinky stuff. Who will vomit first on the plane. What is the filling in a chocolate candy.(END OF SPOILERS)

FINAL VERDICT: Fairly good for what it is. It is worth watching if you want to watch a movie without having to use any brain cells. This is definitely meant to be a slapstick comedy.

Hilarious!!!

Author: Ashley (ShortCuteBlonde) from Washington State, USA
22 September 2002

I loved this movie sooo much. I bought it and watched it like 4 times a day for a month, i havent seen it in a while though. Its so funny and just so perfect, when i first heard it was comeing out i thought it would be stupid, i was major wrong, go watch it now!!!!! and you wont regret it, i promise!!!

Wow, what a fast paced, terrific movie

Author: Mattin from Paderborn, Germany
3 September 2002

I just want to say, that I'm totally amazed. This movie is an excellent piece of comedy, and I haven't laughed that much in a movie for a very long time. Great. My favorite scene is the monster-truck escape scene, brilliant filming.

I've a new dreamwoman ! ;-)

Author: poem from Germany
2 September 2002

And her name is Amy Smart ! She has my absolute favorite scene here, when she attacks her boyfriend after she has found out he betrayed her. Its fantastic ! Fan-tas-tic ! I absolutely loved it ! I've to watch this movie again just for that scene !

But also the rest of the movie is really funny. Not so much "Mr Bean" Rowan Atkinson, who played a character a little bit too crazy to be really amusing. But the rest is just too good to be true. I really wasn't attracted too much by the trailer, but the movie itself is so much better !

Don't avoid this one ! Its far better that it looks from the outside !

a great comedy

Author: jpsrock from seattle
18 August 2002

I don't understand why this movie didn't become a smash hit. Read the 330+ reviews on us.imdb.com - they say it all - this movie is a delightful, madcap, comic feast. It hit so many comedic right notes (and avoided so many wrong ones), people loved this movie. There's a greatness to laughter and this one touched it. This movie will be considered a classic.

PS: If you rent it on dvd and you liked the movie, the deleted scenes are worth watching because you'll want to keep on laughing.

Rat Race is hillarious

Author: RatRace from London, England
4 August 2002

The story is crazy, but hillariously funny, I've never seen anything like it...I love it!!!

The actors and actresses are great, you should really see it, I recommend it!!