IMDb > Rat Race (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rat Race

Rat Race More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 50: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

I've a new dreamwoman ! ;-)

Author: poem from Germany
2 September 2002

And her name is Amy Smart ! She has my absolute favorite scene here, when she attacks her boyfriend after she has found out he betrayed her. Its fantastic ! Fan-tas-tic ! I absolutely loved it ! I've to watch this movie again just for that scene !

But also the rest of the movie is really funny. Not so much "Mr Bean" Rowan Atkinson, who played a character a little bit too crazy to be really amusing. But the rest is just too good to be true. I really wasn't attracted too much by the trailer, but the movie itself is so much better !

Don't avoid this one ! Its far better that it looks from the outside !

a great comedy

Author: jpsrock from seattle
18 August 2002

I don't understand why this movie didn't become a smash hit. Read the 330+ reviews on us.imdb.com - they say it all - this movie is a delightful, madcap, comic feast. It hit so many comedic right notes (and avoided so many wrong ones), people loved this movie. There's a greatness to laughter and this one touched it. This movie will be considered a classic.

PS: If you rent it on dvd and you liked the movie, the deleted scenes are worth watching because you'll want to keep on laughing.

Rat Race is hillarious

Author: RatRace from London, England
4 August 2002

The story is crazy, but hillariously funny, I've never seen anything like it...I love it!!!

The actors and actresses are great, you should really see it, I recommend it!!

Loved It !!

Author: aesgaard41 from United States
10 May 2002

I had heard rumors of a sequel to "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" for years using the comedic talents of the Eighties and then the Nineties, and there were a few to try to copy the idea, "Cannonball Run" comes to mind, but "Rat Race" is the only one with the sheer brillance or lunacy to top it. All the actors are great, but I have to pick out Seth Green, Jon Lovitz, Kathy Bates and Amy Smart for being the funniest. Watching it, I could parallel all the chacters in the movie to the older one: Atkinson to Winters, Knight to Silvers, Lovitz to Berle, Green to Rooney, Cain to Shawn and so on. The scenes with the hooker, millionaires and the Lucy impersonators are among my favorites along with the cow whose life is threatened to the extent she suddenly realizes she can talk ! The one thing I didn't like was the ending; it was sort of anti-climactic to me and didn't hold up to the rest of the movie. Smash Mouth was great ! But I would have expected something a little more unexpected although the final zinger to Cleese was a nice touch. I only hope there is a sequel !

The funniest movie ever made!

Author: Jack the Ripper1888 from Chicagooooooo
13 April 2002

Many words can be used to describe this movie. But certainly nothing negative. I would say delirious. Rowan Atkinson's character made the movie. Jon Lovitz, Whoopi Goldberg, John Cleese and the rest of the cast were all hilarious. This was one damn funny movie! 5/5.

very funny

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
4 April 2002

This was a very funny movie featuring a race for $2 million. The funniest scenes I thought were Cuba Gooding Jr and the Lucy impersonators on their way to an I Love Lucy convention. John Cleese sends everyone on a chase for the money, promising to whoever gets there first. I thought the cast was excellent, too!

*** out of ****

"YOU...SHOULD...HAVE...BOUGHT...A...SQUIRREL!"

Author: hippiedj from Palm Desert, California
5 February 2002

*Contains a few minor spoilers*

It's been a long, long time since there was a madcap celebrity filled chase film that actually was worth sitting through, and Rat Race succeeds on most levels, breathing some new life into this type of comedy genre.

Whether or not you want to compare it to It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, I liked the sprinkling of cameo roles here and there and the fact that the film just keeps moving. Plenty of creativity no matter how absurd it gets and the sheer zany atmosphere will keep you smiling whether the jokes hit or miss.

First and foremost, Kathy Bates as the squirrel lady STEALS THE WHOLE MOVIE! It was brilliant and sinister all at once. John Lovitz really carries the film and is such a natural (I still think he deserves huge praise for Mom And Dad Save The World). Not only is the Barbie Museum scene excrutiatingly funny (watch his eyes move around!) but his confrontation with the World War II vets will definitely be considered one of comedy's funniest moments in film. Would have made Mel Brooks proud! While Hollywood seems to be trying to focus so much on "established" tired comics like Eddie Murphy, it's really guys like Lovitz that have a true knack for comedy. He's underappreciated and made a great team with Kathy Najimy for this film (what he makes the poor daughter do so to avoid a rest stop is so nuts it brings back quite a few memories of family vacations I was subjected too!). Cuba Gooding, Jr.'s funnier moments were really when he would try to dodge being recognized as "that bonehead," and Whoopie Goldberg is funny because it almost seems as if her character from Ghost were transplanted into this film. Seth Green is surprisingly likeable though his character stops at nothing to get ahead in the race.

Besides the squirrel bit, other small things really shine more than some of the more played out segments. For instance, the rental car trainee had me really laughing as well as the gentle nature of the skinhead tour guides. These worked better than even the flying cow or the busload of Lucys. You'll really get a giggle out of the baby on the train, his lack of reaction to Rowan Atkinson made Rowan's role in the film more worthwhile. Gloria Allred yelling out a building "I SAW THAT! I'LL BE RIGHT DOWN!" when witnessing Wayne Knight running into Rowan Atkinson was a great moment.

While not 100% funny, Rat Race offers just enough zest to keep you entertained. Some of the strangest chases I've ever seen, and that helicopter on a rampage is a WOW. It's also nice to see faces like Rance Howard, Dean Cain, Colleen Camp, Wayne Knight, and Dave Thomas too. All this adds up to quite a lot of fun until the Smash Mouth concert....I don't mind a happy ending, but this could have been worked out just a little better. It just seems when you put a band that's popular "at the moment" in a concert scene, especially at the end, the film crashes. Ah well, at least Rat Race offers plenty more to enjoy, and is perfect for a good old silly time.

One thing's for sure, I can't get that choir version of the song Rat Race out of my head and I think I'm going to have to go get the soundtrack now!

Rat Race (****/****)

Author: mikereed216 from West Jordan, UT
5 February 2002

Yes, you heard right. I'm giving this movie four stars out of four. Not that it's a brilliant piece of moviemaking or anything. But, it does exactly what it sets out to do - it is funny. Very funny. In fact, side-splittingly gut-wrenchingly funny. Funny enough to make it hysterical even after viewing it ten times.

The plot is simple: six strangers are rounded up and put into a race to get to Silver City, New Mexico - and $2 million that's in a locker there. From there, the racers, including a straight-faced Chicago lawyer (Breckin Meyer), a narcoleptic Italian tourist (Rowan Atkinson), a re-united mother/daughter team (Whoopi Goldberg/Lanei Chapman), a pair of scheming con artists (Seth Green/Vince Vieluf), a disgraced football referree (Cuba Gooding Jr.) and, funniest of all, a father of two who cannot tell his family why he is driving like a maniac to reach New Mexico (Jon Lovitz) are off on a frantic race to grab the cash, while wealthy hotel owner Donald Sinclair (John Cleese) watches with his favorite high rollers from a penthouse suite in Vegas.

This is definitely not a light comedy. When you go into this movie, be prepared to laugh, and to laugh HARD. When I first saw it, I had tears in my eyes, and I was clutching my sides as I slid out of my seat in fits of very loud laughter. There are several scenes in the movie that do this to people including one scene that you have to see to believe, involving a man being chased up a satellite tower by a car. And then there's two men having a fight using a cow. Or maybe a game of cat and mouse between a pickup truck and a helicopter is more your style. Whatever it is you laugh at, you're bound to find it in this movie, and much, much more. It's not just a great comedy - it takes the cake in my book as the funniest comedy ever made.

Rat Race is rated PG-13 for crude humor, violence and brief nudity. Despite these warning labels, however, it's a very mild PG-13, bordering sharply on a PG rating.

"Life is nothing' but a fat, rat race!"

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
23 September 2011

Rat Race doesn't score well in the highest denominator of comedy, but it does score big laughs and big smiles while it runs in circles hectically for almost two hours. Yet again, I revisit another film I idolized as a child. This was probably one of the first "truly adult" films I watched at a very young age. I've mentioned before I watched a lot of inappropriate things as a child, but somethings, left a permanent mark on me as a child and Rat Race is certainly one of them.

Sometimes, people ask me what got interested and familiar with film and I have to say Rat Race. This was the first film that introduced me to all the big named celebrities at the time. Everyone in this film is currently an active celebrity and has a number of movies under their belt, and I knew everyone's name by the second viewing. So, in terms of actors, I can honestly say, this one got me the most familiar with many of them.

The story is on its own medicine; The eccentric owner of a hotel resort named Donald Sinclair (Cleese) creates a new game to entertain the high-rollers of the casino where he will place six golden tokens in slot machines. Whoever gets a token, will be given a key. A key that opens a special locker in a train station in Silver City, New Mexico. In the locker is a duffel bag filled with $2 million. Whoever gets there first, claims the money. Simple as that.

The people involved are played by Breckin Meyer, Cuba Gooding Jr., Amy Smart, Jon Lovitz, Rowan Atkinson, Whoopi Goldberg, Seth Green, Lanei Chapman, and Vince Vieluf. Clearly, nothing shy of an ensemble comedy cast. After the rules are explained, the gang runs around like rats in a maze doing everything they can to get from Vegas to New Mexico as quickly as possible.

As one can imagine, they run into nothing but sticky, and undeniably hilarious, situations which causes grief on their part. It's classic laugh-at-someone-else's-misery-comedy executed very well. The film sort of mixes classics like Stanley Kramer's It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and Scavenger Hunt. Both films involved run of the mill situations, and characters struggling to make the next move half the time.

The only downside here, is the film gets carried away with itself. It's a bit too contrived, and very coincidental. But in a way it has to be to keep the comedy and action at a consistent level, and the irony and fun existing. Despite its own medicine being a bit too strong, Rat Race combines a great score along with it. The music in this film matches pitch perfectly to the stressful scenes, and the tense atmosphere these characters are clearly occupying.

Also equipped with delightful cameos, hilarious little side-stories, one of the best opening intros in recent memory, and an unexpecting and cherished end scene that shows even when consumed with greed and self-absorption that people are still likely to do admirable things, Rat Race is nothing shy of funny and well-made comedy. The audience it will attract is interesting because it can be fans of a good cast, fans of craziness in films, fans of classic cinema, fans of just good films, or a combination of every type. It's a universally appealing film that stands out for more than just its actors, but its message and its execution is all just remarkable.

Starring: Rowan Atkinson, John Cleese, Whoopi Goldberg, Cuba Gooding Jr., Seth Green, Jon Lovitz, Breckin Meyer, Amy Smart, Kathy Najimy, Lanei Chapman, Vince Vieluf, Dave Thomas, Wayne Knight, Kathy Bates, and Dean Cain. Directed by: Jerry Zucker.

If you like physical comedy and laughing...

Author: wlb from Sacramento CA
3 July 2007

I just bought the DVD today (7/3/07) 6 years after I saw it in the theater. The visit to the Barbie Museum is just as hilarious, and "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" - well, you have to see Amy Smart in this role.

The plot is copied from It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World which I think is one of the comedy classics - take a group of unrelated people, point them to some treasure at the end of the rainbow, stand back and watch human nature take over. In other words, cheating, scheming, falling over each other trying to get there first.

I like John Cleese, Cuba Gooding, Whoppi Goldberg...and was smitten with Amy Smart - just don't get her angry with you ;-)

In the Special Features section all the actors were saying that it was a true joy on the set even with 14 hour days - lots of laughing and good times - and it shows in the performances.