IMDb > Rat Race (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rat Race

Rat Race More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 50: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Okay, but its no "Airplane!" ...

Author: Movie-Guru from California
3 April 2002

I admit that movie had its funny parts, but its no "Airplane!" Or "Naked Gun", Jerry Zucker should really stick with making spoof/parodies. The casting was okay, but I found John Cleese kind of annoying in the movie, and whats with Woopie's hair??

I give this movie a 7 out of 10.

I loved this movie!

Author: bricktop64 from U.S.A.
1 April 2002

I loved the squirrel lady! John Cleese was great! this is one of the best comedies I have seen in a long time.there was never a not funny part of the movie!this is a must see! I will give it a 10 out of 10. when they think he is talking like Hitler that is so funny! I definitely recommend this movie.

Nearly a Classic

Author: Ron Smolin (rsmolin@ix.netcom.com) from Philadelphia
28 March 2002

Yes, this is certainly a very funny film, and parts of it are precious and brilliant, but yet other parts are a tad too silly, too much slapstick, but well worth your viewing. The characters form an acting ensemble --I'm not sure it's so much acting as it is goofing around, but the upshot of all the madness is a film that could have been a classic, but it's close enough to warrant 8/10.

One of the Funniest Movies I've Seen in Years!

Author: Oreolove from Yardley, PA
27 March 2002

Even from the opening credits, you can get a sense of how funny this movie is. And it gets better from there. There is no end to the laughter as you progress from scene to scene. It all starts with 2 millions dollars. John Cleese, an overly rich, Las Vegas casino owner who likes stupid bets, puts 2 million big ones in a locker in Silver City, New Mexico. It's up to 6 groups of people to beat each other to the cash. The frantic people include Whoopi Goldberg and Lanei Chapman as a mother/daughter team that need time for bonding, Jon Lovitz with his wife Kathy Najimy and two kids that must escape Nazis from the "Barbie Museum", Rowen Atkinson as a narcoleptic Italian, Breken Meyer and Amy Smart that find romance after she runs down her ex with a helicopter, Cuba Gooding Jr. as a hated ref that gets stuck driving a bus full of Lucy wannabes, and Seth Green and Vince Vieluf as a team of scheming brothers that drive their truck up an airport tower, (literally.) It also stars Kathy Bates as the much-loved Squirrel Lady. I literally fell out of my seat with laughter. This is a must see. And watch out for the Hitlermobile! (Also for those who liked "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.") "Rat Race" is a keeper!

Sigh...

Author: julag from Canada
26 March 2002

This has to be one of the most disappointing comedies I've ever seen. Director Jerry Zucker, who brought us Airplane! and Top Secret! (two of the most brilliant comedies of all time) has failed to capture any of the things that made those movies great.

The film is about a group of outrageous people who are racing to get a two-million dollar prize. The movie has a great cast and it seems like everyone is in it. John Cleese, Cuba Gooding Jr., Rowan Atkinson and the rest, all do a great job. They are all funny and quirky, but sadly, the film is not.

The are some funny moments, such as when Dave Thomas's character has an interesting request for a prostitute. You'll also crack up when the cow starts flying. Most of the time though, you'll only chuckle, and your chuckles will end long before the scene does. One example of this is when Amy Smart's character tries to taunt and attack her cheating ex-boyfriend while she's flying a helicopter. It is funny for about half a minute, but after about five minutes of this, you want the scene -and the movie- to end.

When you're at your local video story trying to find some suitable movie to rent, avoid this. There are thousands of other movies out there that are better, funnier, and that don't make you regret sitting through them.

Sounds Funnier Than It Is

Author: Denver53 from Denver, Colo.
22 March 2002

If you were to listen to someone describe the list of characters in "Rat Race," you might think the movie screams with laughter. It doesn't.

While some concepts are initially promising (a dumb guy who has trouble speaking because his tongue is pierced, an NFL referee who is hated by many after blowing a coin toss, a Jewish family man who hates Nazis so much he still won't buy a VW), the execution is dull. None of these characters really does anything especially funny. They are just quirky. And you spend a lot of time wondering at the set-ups, like why does this Jewish guy associate the VW with Nazis of 50 years ago? What exactly did the ref do that determined the outcome of a game if it was only a coin toss (wouldn't a blown call in the end zone make more sense?)? Why does this pierced tongue guy have trouble speaking when so many others with pierced tongues don't?

Other characters are simply one-joke wonders (the actor who used to play Mr. Bean is a mugging narcoleptic) or just inexplicable (a career woman is traveling with her more laid back mom [Whoopi Goldberg]). The concept of a "Lucy Impersonator Convention" is worth a laugh the first time you see all the Lucy's, but repeated material that shows all the Lucy's crying like Lucy did when things went wrong gets old, fast.

In the end, only the usually frenetic pace keeps Rat Race from becoming a bore. John Cleese and his group of unnamed gamblers who wager on almost anything is a funny bit. And if you like scatological humor, the concept of "prairie dogging," which I had never before heard in this context, is a guaranteed laugh-out-loud moment.

We gave Rat Race a 6, because it tried hard and because of Cleese.

Really Funny Stuff

Author: EdYerkeRobins from Sunland, CA
22 March 2002

Jerry Zucker is responsible (as writer, producer, or director) for some of the funniest movies of all time – from the lewd, crude, and rude "Kentucky Fried Movie", to "Airplane", to the TV series "Police Squad" and its film spin-off "Naked Gun". "Naked Gun"'s sequels began a comedic downfall, which continued for a decade, until 2001's "Rat Race".

"Rat Race" is, quite simply, hilarious. Like any Zucker film, its presentation is rapid-fire joke after joke, in totally unrealistic situations tied together by a plot thin enough to let them go off into absurdity but with just enough substance to be able to bring them back together at the end (and what a positive-vibed ending! I'd call it implausible but in this film that's a moot point. It really does make one's day though). "Rat Race" definitely has this down, as long as one checks their brain at the proverbial door. Not every joke works, and most are surprisingly clean (but risky clean – particularly a gag involving accidental Hitler impersonation at a WWII veteran's celebration), but the fact is most work, and this has one of the best laugh-to-joke ratios in a long time. It even bests what I have seen of Zucker's earlier work (everything except "Kentucky Fried Movie").

Though I personally thought the film was hilarious, it is easy to see the other side of the issue. The reason these situations are so funny are because they come totally unexpected and totally absurd; knowing what happens I doubt I would laugh at it all again. Some of the situations, upon close inspection, reveal themselves as annoying (Lucy's, I'm looking at you, though I realize they were intended to be annoying) or too stupid to work more than once (what's up with the squirrel lady?). There never seems to be enough of the most enjoyable characters – the brothers Seth Green and Vince Vieluf, and "Mr. Bean". Though these are valid points, they are the same points that can be made about any Zucker film. For what it is, there are no major flaws with "Rat Race", but if you don't like what it is, then you simply will not enjoy "Rat Race".

It's difficult for me to review comedies because they're either funny or they're not. If they're funny bravo, if not they're a failure. Though I never tested to see how well it holds up through multiple viewings, "Rat Race", thankfully, is funny for at least one viewing, and quite possibly more.

Have you seen this room

Author: Cappy-08 from Canada
20 March 2002

What a beautiful room, have you seen this room? HAHA great comedy by the man that brought us baseketball! Rowan atkinson's character is hilarious! Definitely recommended! amazingly funny!

Funniest film I've seen in a long time!

Author: crlane from Whitehorse, Canada
20 March 2002

This movie never let's you come up for air! The gags just keep on coming! Each and every scene is so much fun, you would be hard pressed to pick a favorite. Every actor in this film is a Master comedian in their own right, so to have them all in one film is a real treat. I haven't laughed that hard in years!

UM, GREAT MOVIE!

Author: piggytails from Utah, United States
20 March 2002

I heard about this movie from my Aunt who lives in Las Vegas. She told me that if I would rent this movie and watch it she could insure that I would not stop laughing through every scene. My husband and I rented it that night and laughed hysterically all that night and throughout the next few days. Just thinking about scenes from the film made us crack up again and again. Only two days after seeing the movie for the first time, we ran out and bought it on DVD. This movie is a classic comedy and we knew we just had to add it to our collection of other classics! Congrats to the writers on a premo film!