IMDb > Corky Romano (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Hilarious!!!!

Author: slday97 from United States
8 September 2005

I absolutely LOVE this movie and have to say that it is by far my favorite comedy. There are parts of this movie where you are laughing so hard that your stomach hurts and you have to re-watch those parts because you were laughing to hard to hear exactly what was going on.

Have to admit that I'm a fan of Chris Kattan and loved him on Saturday Night Live. He's great at comedic acting and this movie is most certainly proof of that! Although, still, he seems to be at ease in the parts of the movie where things get a little serious (although nothing can be too serious in this movie!).

I recommend it for watching. Not all sense of humors are the same, but personally, I loved it...as did my entire family!

Before and After Corky.

Author: jcvincent1986 from Philippines
27 April 2007

Corky Romano is I believe a good movie. Well of course not a good movie in terms of story line but good enough. The good thing about this movie is the hilarious parts. Honestly I don't know Chris Kattan before I watched this movie. I just saw it's poster on a mall and I decided to watch. Why? I don't know why did I watched this movie, but to tell you, I really had a great time laughing all by myself inside that cinema. That's the time when the movie CORKY ROMANO became one of my all time favorite comedy.

Sometimes the story seems nonsense. But that's the beauty of it. This movie never makes you think of anything. It just makes you laugh. I recommended this movie to a friend of mine and he liked it as well. Although we have the same reaction.... The story is not impressive. 4/10 for story.. But who cares? This movie just made my day..

Good choice if you want to relax and just laugh for an hour and a half.

one of my favorites!

Author: gothpunkrocker91 from United States
13 November 2006

MIGHT BE A SPOILER!!!!! I LOVE THIS MOVIE! what else can I say it's hilarious! it's about a VERY dysfunctional family...Corky who is cut out for absolutely nothing, goes undercover as a FBI agent and the boss thinks he's just what they need for the case of the night vulture. But all wanted was to steal evidence against his father, "Pop" Romano, but every time he comes a step closer they pull him back five. Corky Romano is one of the funniest movies ever! I told my best friend about it and I was shocked she'd never even heard of it! But I got her to watch it and our favorite part is the same as almost everyone else's..."You guys want some cookies?" This is what some call a dumb comedy but that's what makes it SO funny!

A friend's 9-year-old daughter thought it was hilarious . . .tell you anything.

Author: Skot G. Pare from Worcester, MA
6 February 2003

Probably the only thing that got the movie up to a four for me is the fact that I love Peter Falk. One of the world's great portrayers of bumbling incompetence . . . and yet he is one of the only anchors that prevents this from being a chaotic disaster. As Pops Romano, he provides a respectable mix of gangster charm and straight man to Chris Kattan's manic foolishness. Respectable performances are also offered by Richard Roundtree as the harried boss, Vinessa Shaw as a talented female FBI agent bouncing her head off a glass ceiling and Fred Ward as Falk's advisor and Benedict Arnold.

The plot concept actually has some wonderful possibilities and, in the hands of a young Steve Martin or Chevy Chase, could have proved a great comedic vehicle. Kattan, who seems to idolize Ernest or Pee Wee Herman, just provides a muddled mess. Sadly, Peter Berg and Chris Penn, who portray his misfit brothers, both fall far short of their proven capability.

There are some very funny scenes, but they are far too few and separated by way too many boring ones. What I truly miss here is what always attracted me to the Leslie Neilsen movies. There is no 'second level' of wit riding over the slapstick. No cultural references that only the adults get. . no double entendre. . it is just silly.

And, by the way, this doesn't all mean that I am recommending it for your 9-year-old, because hopefully they have better taste and less fascination with some of their body parts and their functions.

A good How-to video: How NOT to make a comedy

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
27 May 2002

Admittedly, I didn't have high expectations of "Corky Romano." But then again, who did? However, I felt it deserved the benefit of the doubt. I had no high hopes of "Joe Dirt" either--another recent comedy starring an SNL cast member--and I ended up being pleasantly surprised. But this film is just as bad as it looks in the previews. Chris Kattan is actually a talented comic actor--contrary to what you might think after watching this movie--with great energy. He's been in many hilarious SNL skits, and I think he's one of the most talented cast members on SNL as of now. In this case, he's given a lame, pointless script and he tries to remedy each scene with his incessant mugging. Throughout each scene, he attempts a lame Jerry Lewis act and fails miserably. Jerry Lewis knew how to pull off this type of physical comedy, not to mention he worked with much better writing. Kattan simply looks like some ignorant fool with ADHD who had one too many Cafe Lattes. He doesn't even wait for the punchline; he assumes we'll all laugh once he starts jumping around like an ape on crack. In one scene, he ends up in a tugging match with a dog who has a package of cocaine in his mouth. The package explodes and the cocaine splashes all over him. He comes back to the job, strung out on coke. Now, how are we supposed to laugh at the fact that he's acting hyper and on-edge, when he's doing the same thing throughout the whole film?

As for the rest of the cast members...Vanessa Shaw is really hot, Peter Berg is wasted in a thankless role and so is Chris Penn. Peter Falk is also wasted, though he has a few funny lines that I'm pretty sure he improvised. I hope Falk gets a decent movie someday soon. That's too much talent too waste on a clunker like "Corky Romano." I didn't like Falk's last movie "Made" all that much either, but at least he had a decent role.

I chuckled a few times, but I could not get a single laugh. Each gag is performed with no sense of timing or delivery. And it's made worse by Kattan's hammy acting. And there are certain gags that are streneously dragged out. For example, when Kattan is about to fart in his two brothers' faces. He stands there for 2 or 3 minutes, trying to get out a fart and when he finally he does it's a little tiny one. It's bad enough when you have a gag that's funny and drag it out, but when you have a lame gag and you drag it out it's a hell of a lot worse. And another example of this is when he tries to translate what those two Asian men are saying during a drug bust. I can go on and on about what's wrong with this so-called comedy, but I'm not gonna waste my time. Like I said earlier, if you predicted bad things from the trailers--you predicted right.

My score: 3 (out of 10)

When will I ever learn?

Author: (benc7ca)
25 May 2002

I vowed a long time ago to NEVER, EVER watch a movie that has ANYONE who EVER was a regular cast member of "Saturday Night Live". I didn't rent "Corky Romano" but I was forced by my unfailing good manners to watch it for half an hour. Then my good manners failed. Stupid, not funny. Tedious, not hilarious. Bad, not good. That in a nutshell is all I can say for this video.

Quirky Romano

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
26 October 2011

Corky Romano's ambition is to get the cheapest laughs. I'm a sucker for slapstick humor, but it only works if you have either two great comedy actors who have shining chemistry (Farley and Spade in Black Sheep) or you have a group of actors who get into mischief when they're trying not to (The Three Stooges).

With that being said, Corky Romano doesn't measure up to great comedy, and in the slapstick genre it is only standard fare. Kattan is fine, but not memorable. Mostly because the humor we are faced with is defined in a scene where we see Corky (Kattan) working as a veterinarian and mindlessly running into things left and right. Going back to Black Sheep, there is a scene where Chris Farley closes an old couple's trunk and his tie gets caught. The couple takes off without noticing Farley's character is stuck. That was better and funnier because Farley was trying to be serious and was trying to avoid trouble. He wasn't deliberately doing something over and over again.

That's the true moral here; slapstick is funny when you put characters into situations they really don't want to be a part of.

The plot: Peter Falk is typecast as a mob boss who is on trail, but has coincidentally fallen very ill. Desperate to erase any evidence of his wrong doing, he hires his son Corky who neglected the mob business at a young age unlike his other siblings. Corky is a simple guy, but trouble has a way of finding him. Corky is persuaded by his father and his brothers, who take him undercover and change his named to Corky Pissant (pronounced Pee-sawnt). Now, Corky is still his same old, oddball roots, but the only difference is his name and his setting.

At an incredibly short eighty-six minutes, Corky Romano doesn't accomplish a whole lot. The ending is contrived, the only thing likable about the lead is his innocence, and even two all star actors like Peter Falk and Fred Ward can hardly believe they're in such a film.

If Corky Romano has included a less attention demanding character, more scenes that revolved around the family, and maybe even gave Corky a sidekick it all would've worked out favorably. The problem is that Chris Kattan is a one man show. His character isn't built to occupy more than a few minutes before cutting to someone or something else.

Although it was just a ho-hum experience, Corky Romano did give me the strangest feeling I've felt in a film in a long time. The fact that the film is named after a character who is barely capable of a feature length film, when other characters in the film are more interesting than him personally.

Starring: Chris Kattan, Viness Shaw, Fred Ward, and Peter Falk. Directed by: Rob Pritts.

One of the all-time worst movies

Author: wellesorson from Atlanta, GA
15 May 2002

I could only get through about 25 mins of it. Not one laugh in the 25 minutes I gave it, one of the most painful films I've ever had to endure. Chris Kattan is so nervous on screen that it made me nervous to watch him. Just a horrible movie.

Chris Kattan:Stay on SNL

Author: Nikki (hardcoresaur@hotmail.com) from Mass
18 January 2003

Chris Kattan is a great sketch actor on Saturday Night Live...but he should probably leave the movie industry alone unless he gets some sort of creative control. He plays an annoyingly peppy character who basically comes off as mildly retarded and on speed. Wanna know the only funny parts? The stuff they showed in the previews. Yes, his rendition of take on me is funny. Nothing else is. ESPECIALLY when you can tell he's trying very hard to be a physical comedian, which he shouldn't have to try at because he is one. And yet, his 'demolishing the vet's office' bit comes off as cringingly bad. This movie made me develop an eye twitch. Avoid it at all costs, and keep watching SNL.

Great comedy, but not for everyone

Author: lysergic-acid from United States
21 September 2011

When I was a kid, my dad absolutely refused to allow me to watch Jim Carry movies. Now, Jim Carry may have some more adult material in his stand-up and has done comedies and dramas aimed at adults, but the reason my dad refused to allow me to watch his kids movies like The Mask and Liar, Liar was simply because Carrey's very frenetic, over-the-top, physical comedy style really turned him off. He didn't get it; he saw it as low brow/low class; and he saw Carrey as a sleazy person and an idiot.

Now, all of that seemed pretty judgemental to me, but it's understandable considering my father's background and personality type. And I think it's reasonable to expect a lot of people to be similarly turned off by Chris Kattan's equally eccentric and outlandish slapstick style. I think a lot of people enjoy his characters and skits on SNL, but certainly not everyone. And I can see how some might find it annoying (even without having an extremely uptight personality like my father).

However, if you do enjoy that type of bizarre slapstick comedy, Corky Romano is right up your ally. It's it's weird; it's funny, and it's just a lot of feel-good fun.

If you like watching a sweet, lovable goof get in way over his head but always come out on top due to fortunate and funny coincidences and mishaps (frustrating the bad guys to no end), then this is the movie for you. If you're looking for an intelligent film with witty writing or edgy humor, then this film will absolutely disappoint you. But taken for what it is, it's a solid comedy in its category.

Basically, if you haven't watched Chris Kattan on film or on TV, you should probably check out an SNL skit first to find out if you like his style of comedy or not. Otherwise, you could end up loving the film or absolutely hating it.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]