IMDb > "Faerie Tale Theatre" Rapunzel (1983) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Faerie Tale Theatre" Rapunzel (1983)

« Prev | 3 of 27 Episodes | Next »

Let Down Your Hair, Rapunzel

Author: BatBanks Smith from Philadelphia, PA
15 May 2014

I first saw this episode when my special ed teacher show to me and my classmates when I was nine. I saw again as young woman now after having as Christmas present. I like this version of Rapunzel, Disney new version of Rapunzel "Tangled" was good as well. Jeff Bridges and Shelley Duvall play dual roles as Rapunzel's parents and prince and Rapunzel. Gena Rowland is good as the wicked sorceress who like Rapunzel and did a lot wicked things. Jeff Bridges made a handsome prince in that. Shelley Duvall is good too also with her singing voice in the episode, but she is some-what miscast as Rapunzel she not very attractive to play but she and Jeff did have good chemistry. This my favorite episode in Faerie Tale Theatre.

Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair.

Author: Mandice from Salt Lake City, Utah
7 November 2001

A hair-curling fairy tale brought to life by Miss Duvall, who saves a bit on expenses and takes on dual roles for the movie.

The story remains fairly faithful to the original Grimm Tale, so watching it with your children might not be such a bad idea. Comical moments and bits of magic truly make this worth the watch. (Most video stores keep a copy in their family or children sections.)

One of the best episodes of Duvall's Faeire Tale Theatre

Author: MissSimonetta from United States
2 November 2014

Armed with a fantastic cast, funny and poignant writing, and beautiful art direction, this adaptation of Rapunzel is arguably the best episode of Shelly Duvall's classic series.

The appeal of this adaptation comes from the balance of elements: comedy, drama, and romance are all allowed to coexist without one trumping the other. The episode also never mocks the more outlandish aspects of the original story (how many times have we seen modern fairy tale adaptations such as Frozen (2013) mock the love at first sight trope with little originality or intelligence?). It plays everything straight with a great deal of affection.

Surprisingly, this episode keeps the sexual elements of the original tale intact with the prince visiting Rapunzel every night and her giving birth to twins in the desert after the witch learns about their evening trysts.

All in all, a beautiful and emotionally resonant adaptation. Must-see for fairy tale lovers and ideal for kids too.