Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure
Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Disappointed!

Author: Karen (bookworm-9) from Florida
4 March 2001

To be fair I love Lady and the Tramp so I expected alot. But this story doesnt even come close to the magic of the original.

They very cheaply reuse bits of the original story right down to the infamous Spaghetti dinner. They created a former "best friend" for Tramp and didnt use any of his original gang. Rusty and Jacques are barely around. Not to mention that Tramp completely turned his back on his old ways. He even lied to his kids saying that he has been a house dog his whole life.

The premise is that the son wants to be a "wild dog". Basically he is like a defiant teenager. I have aleast two suggestions on what would have been a better story. I dread the Cinderella sequel!

My 5 year old nephew loves it but for anyone that grew up on the romance of Lady and her tramp.... skip it!

We've now gone too far

Author: aleusong from Indiana-ish
18 May 2004

This was the first film from Walt's era to get sequel treatment. Walt has mentioned countless times how much he disliked sequels. I personally didn't mind sequels from the 90s films such as Return of Jafar and Simba's Pride (Enchanted Xmas, WTF?) But once you take movies from Walt's era you've done more than crossed the line...you've insulted one of the greatest people to have ever lived!

Doesn't anyone remember what Lady and the Tramp was about or who was the star of the movie? Lady of course. What is Lady doing in this sequel? nothing, absolutely nothing she is nothing more than a background character with hardly a voice. The Tramp was a main character yes but Lady deserved more screen and story contribution being as she was part of the title.

This is also part of those parent-son of sequels I am officially sick of. The good news is that there are goodies given that are reminiscent of the original. But let's face it, this was overlly preachy as a puppy has to learn that living a junkyard dog life isn't cool and you gotta stay with your lame family.

Did I say puppy? Well seeing that he's not Tramp's size and voice by an adult...

Don't get me started on the worse part...the music. "Family" drove me insane. This was supposed to be a turn of the century setting and you're putting in pop music...WHY?! BRING BACK PEGGY LEE AND THE MELLOW MEN!

So yes, it was that bad...too much kiddie fare that can be easily ignored

Inferior but decent

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
5 October 2009

The original Lady and the Tramp is a truly beautiful film, with beautiful animation and songs. And the Bella Notte scene is one of my all time favourite Disney moments. The sequel is decent, compared to Cinderella 2 and Jungle Book 2, but I would be lying if I said it wasn't inferior. The animation is very nice and colourful. The backgrounds in general are lovely, and very bright vibrant colours. (But the original's animation was better) The songs are fairly decent, above average might I say, and the music was beautiful. The opening song was lovely, and Angel and Scamp's duet was so sweet. I also would like to congratulate Roger Bart and Susan Egan for their wonderful singing on the soundtrack. The junkyard song was the only song I found forgettable, but I will say right now, that the original's songs are much more memorable. Scamp and Angel are very likable protagonists, and the voice acting from Scott Wolff especially, Jeff Benett, Alyssa Milano and Chazz Palminteri is superb. However, I did find the story in general to be weak and predictable, and the dogcatcher was an annoying and unnecessary character. I thought the spaghetti scene was very sweet, but Bella Notte from the original brought tears to my eyes, and I didn't necessarily find that here. The writing is okay, my real problem with it though was that you can't help thinking you've heard it all before. In conclusion, decent sequel, but see the original film for the full emotional punch. 6/10 Bethany Cox

It's alright. Just alright.

Author: Bethany Lawrence from Australia
5 March 2011

Lady and the Tramp II is one of the Disney sequels which I keep as "okay" in my books. They could have done a lot worse (like what they did with The Little Mermaid sequel..horrible!) and this one stands as being a pretty okay sequel.

Some problems about this sequel are the totally rushed and not needed romance between Angel and Scamp. It was tasteless and bland, the duet they share was sweet but did not compare to Bella Notte from the first film.

I also did not like what they did with Tramps character development. Like Simba in Lion King 2, they turned him from a fun loving adult to a cold, serious parent. Tramp used to be a very lovable character in the first film, chasing chickens and avoiding dogcatchers. But what does he say when Scamp runs through the lounge with a pillow in his jaws? "Now come on son, you're gonna make a mess!'

It's just unfamiliar of our old Disney characters to change personality so quickly. Lady had little to no dialogue, which is a sad change from the first film where we learned so much about her.

But all in all, it's an alright sequel. Learning about Tramp's past was interesting and the film still kept some of the old settings from the original. Disney fans should see, but if you are not a Lady and the Tramp fan, this may not appeal to you.

Not a bad Disney Sequel

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
5 February 2008

I remember the first time I saw Lady and the Tramp, it was one of the first Disney movies to make me cry as a child. It was one of the most romantic films I ever saw, lol, well, I was a kid, so, give me a break, it's still a good love story. So, I figured to go ahead and give the sequel a look and I watched it today and over all, it's a decent sequel that's worth a look. Unfortunately, there are a lot of Disney sequels that really are not worth your while and are pretty cheesy, Lady and the Tramp 2 is typical where as the plot is always the same for every Disney sequel. They always take the plot from the first film and reverse the situation to the kids wanting whatever the parent had in the first film, but Lady and the Tramp 2 has it's moments that are just very sweet.

Pidge and Tramp are living the high life with their masters and 4 kids. 3 kids are girls and they are loving the pampered life of baths, 3 meals a day in a bowl, and a healthy home to live in. But Scamp's the boy that stands out, he wants to be a junk yard dog so badly and be free an wild. Tramp doesn't want that life for him, and certainly to not end up in the pound. But Scamp goes off with a girl dog, Angel, and other junk yard dogs to prove that he's just as tough, but it's a tough world out there and he may not have the chops to survive.

Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure is definitely worth a look, it's not a waste of a sequel. Is it necessary? No, not really, but it's all good clean fun. The animation is colorful and the songs are catchy along with a cute little story that may be predictable, but is always a safe route to go with the kids. It's a cute family movie and is a nice Disney sequel. I would recommend it if you are a fan of the original Lady and the Tramp and also for the kids, it's a good clean cut movie to watch.

Sweet puppy love.

Author: mistershankly from Norway
23 May 2006

These Disney sequels all have one thing in common, they do not reach up to the high quality as the original did. This is not an exception, the plot is kinda rushed.

But there is great animation, very colorful. And of course, Scamp and Angel are very, very sweet and adorable. I think they make a cuter couple than Lady and the Tramp. The scene where they eat spaghetti and meat balls, is not nearly as well done as the previous one. "Bella Notte" is an excellent song, but I still think Scamp and Angel are more adorable than Lady/Tramp.

I think the chemistry between the two of them is what makes this movie worth watching, it should have been more of them together. Scamp is an innocent, lovely pup with an irresistible face, and Angel is the same, only even more lovely. She has those sparkling, inciting eyes. And when they fall for each other, it only gets sweeter.

This movie is definitely worth watching for those who like Disney romance, the plot is not something worth applauding for.

No Lady nor Tramp: Chav's Troublesome Runaway

Author: chrisbishop5000 from United Kingdom
3 April 2008

If regarded as an independent feature I can't say it's too bad at all but from where I'm standing this sequel and the original "Lady and the Tramp" don't agree with each other! They are two completely different movies with different style, different voice personalities, different narratives and about the only thing that they share with each other is the visuals (e.g. the town-house of Jim Dear, Darling, Lady and Tramp) and none of those have changed.

If you're seeking any kind of continuity years after the release of the original for those memorable songs like "Bella Notte" and "The Siamesse Cats Song" this sequel won't give you any at all! Just about every song has a little pop to it and those good old characters like Jock and Trusty, Jim Dear and Darling and Aunt Sarah and her cats may well be seen but they're seeming to be somehow replaced by new characters, not to mention Peg not appearing at all, whose voices are quite annoying. Even Lady and Tramp don't appear often enough and as for Scamp?! He is so spoilt! And treats his father Tramp with utter disrespect, then runs away with no remorse even after hearing how much he's being missed at home! And they called his shameless getaway an adventure! I'd say Scott Wolf truly brought out the abusive bad boy in Scamp wiping out the typical cute Disney animal. Even the old characters just drive you mad in this; Trusty sounds like Goofy sick in bed, Jock (Jeff-stupid-Bennett) - and his VOICE - sound neither Scottish nor worth hearing! Zap him off as far as possible to free our poor ears from his voice and as for the dumb, feather-brained, EXASPERATING JUNKYARD DOGS!!!!!! Somebody put them down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Lady and the Tramp 2" isn't completely bad if you're not already having a tough day but I expect a lot more charm from a sequel to a true classic - Scamp is chavvy, so is his girlfriend Angel and there is a feeble storyline. Still, I think you should try it at least once because, as I say, there are much worse movies around.

Not bad, but not quite good

Author: jer-7
24 December 2000

All in all, you could never really surpass the original Lady and the Tramp, one of Disney's best films ever. This movie seemed to lack charm. The music was good, but didn't feel like it belonged. The characters were nice, but the characterisation seemed a bit rushed. The voices were all done quite well by the likes of Mickey Rooney and Allysa Millano. The animation is of course superb. They were even able to throw some CGI in with traditional animation. I think it is probably a good thing this is a straight to video project, because that's where it belongs. If you are a true die hard Disney fan, you might enjoy this one, but most casual movie watchers will probably pass it up.

Fantastic!

Author: Leahcurry from Houston, Texas
12 July 2004

**** Possible Spoilers Ahead *****

I only saw this very recently, and before that I wasn't interested. Like Cinderella 2, this is another sequel to a Disney Classic that I enjoyed. Personally, this is hilarious and heartwarming. I loved it the first time I watched it, and intend to get the movie and soundtrack. The acting is perfect all around. I only wish that the amount of lines everyone got, particularly Mickey Rooney and Jodi Benson (Lady), was more evened out. There seemed to be too many bit parts for the amount of time spent on-screen. Scott Wolf and Alyssa Milano's screen time as Scamp and Angel is fine. Between 60-70 minutes was a bit too short.

What Scamp goes through is so typical of teenagers. It may be hard to believe (Scamp, his sisters, and Angel are small and cute), but they are at least pre-teen. It was also obvious that the songs were sung by adults. Even though Scott Wolf's and Alyssa Milano's talking voices are very appropriate, it would have been tacky for kids or teenagers to sing Scamp's and Angels' songs. An adult gives the songs more flavor, especially the love songs.

The voices couldn't be duplicated exactly, but Jock's and Trusty's were admirable, Lady (done by none other than the "Little Mermaid" Jodi Benson) was pretty good, and Tramp's was good except for his singing.

The opening song "Welcome" was a perfect fit for the Victorian era setting, and I don't care if it is like the opening of "Beauty and the Beast"--I didn't realize it was. "Junkyard Society Rag" was like "He's a Tramp", with its distinct Street Dog sound. However, none of the songs were actually reminiscent of the "quiet" ballads of the original like "La La Lu", but they are somewhat like those of "Beauty and the Beast". No kidding! They are all wonderful.

The filmmakers wanted to duplicate Lady, Tramp, and the setting as much as possible, and they did it admirably. The addition of the storyline to include Buster is a nice touch, and a necessary one. What else could Scamp get involved in but life on the street for it to be a coming-of-age story? It adds not only the Junkyard Dogs, but a slowly developing plot involving Buster's long standing anger toward Tramp (who taught him everything needed to be a street dog but later abandoned him when he falls in love with Lady). Also, Tramp kept his former life a secret from Scamp because that life is not what it is cracked up to be (it took the dogcatcher and being collarless for Scamp to realize how dangerous and dead-end it really was). It only goes to show that even though Scamp felt he was having Rules hammered into him almost constantly, his family loved him, even if they made their share of mistakes, which everyone makes from time to time.

All in all, none of us should expect true duplicates of Disney classics. It's somewhat redundant. "The Little Mermaid", "Aladdin", "Beauty and the Beast", and "The Lion King" are modern classics with modern songs. Disney is still making great films--this is no exception. Maybe some who bash these sequels aren't true Disney fans anyway. If you hate the sequels, let your kids see them. These should be watched by people who are kids at heart. 9/10

Im annoyed that Disney disappointed me

Author: LEXHENthefuzzy from United Kingdom
15 October 2006

Im so annoyed. Why call it Lady and the Tramp when there both Hardley in it? Instead you get a dog called Scamp and a little ( what i like to call a White chocolate dog) called Angel. This really reminds me of the lion king two. Er hello? Is this what a masterpiece can produce as an after ward? Im was so sure that I was going to enjoy this film when watching this with my little cousin. But we ended up going to watch a dumb movie. The best part of it was getting a free dog toy with the DVD! If you are a Disney fan then you might enjoy this. But if you absolutely loved lady and the tramp- the you will be disappointed- sorry.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]