IMDb > Billy Elliot (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Billy Elliot More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 44: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

~Go Billy! ~Go Everybody!

Author: LLee9999 from United States
20 August 2011

~Every school in the world shall play this film in class!

My husband & I just watched this film with tears & both our hearts with this fine lad's future every minute!

~Everyone is Billy Elliot! :)

How many of our dreams, ambitions, interests, thoughts about who we truly are & life have been discouraged by our family background, family members, school system, teachers, peers, society.......!?

It took me years to recognize that my "caring" mother was the one who smothered my dreams and eventually got the courage to say "NO" to her!

In the front part of film, I resented the brother and father so much.

But at the end, their lives begin to change to be better simply by opening their hearts! :)

Billy is very fortunate to have someone to have recognized his talent!

He is born to be a super star, a great inspiration to so many in the world!

His dancing always tells people: "Never Stop To Dream!"

~Go Billy!

~Go Everybody!

Review for Billy Elliot & Billy Elliot the Musical

Author: the-gossip-king from Australia
3 July 2008

I saw the musical for Billy Elliot the other night and ad to review it. I had also seen the movie recently so I thought it would be a good opportunity to review both. ********* The Movie: Average... Jamie Bell is brilliant and seems to be keeping that up with King Kong and Flags of our Fathers. Julie Walters is as usual, brilliant! The story is dull however as is the writing. The music score was awful. Stephen Daldry did a fairly decent job with the movie. My main problem with the movie is how it tries to mix drama with comedy and in some places it does work but in some places it does not. Overall; 5/10 ********* The Musical: Brilliant! There were four boys who were Billy and the one who was performing on my night was terrific and had a very nice voice as well. The dancing was just as good as the movie if not better and the woman who plays Mrs. Wilkinson reminds me of Julie Walters which is of course a good thing. Simply stunning! Overall; 9/10 ********* You should see both!

Experience the Joy and the "Electricity"

Author: Isaac5855 from United States
3 July 2008

BILLY ELLIOTT is an enchanting and exuberant film that celebrates the joy and the passion of dance and how it can infuse anyone. Not since FOOTLOOSE has a film so beautifully captured the passion and joy that can be experienced from the art of the dance. Billy is an ll-year old Irish boy who lives with his widowed father and older brother, who both work as coal miners. Billy is taking boxing lessons at a local gym but inexplicably finds himself drawn to a ballet class that is being taught on the other side of the gym and after taking a couple of classes, Billy has tapped into a real passion for the dance which he fights but cannot deny, despite having to initially attend class behind his family's back. Eventually, with the encouragement of his teacher, who sees his passion after he takes his first class, Billy actually finds himself auditioning for a prestigious ballet academy, but this is not what this film is about. This film is not about the work and dedication it takes to dance or the roadblocks that can stand in your way nor is about it about the threatening of traditional gender stereotypes or about dancing being an indicator of sexual orientation, all of which are touched upon here, but this is not what this film is about. This film is about the pure joy of dancing and the passion that it can ignite inside a person. Director Stephen Daldry has mounted an imaginative and infectious story on a truly original canvas. Lee Hall's screenplay loses the film points, primarily for its needless subplot involving a coal miner's strike which distracts from the enjoyment of the primary story being told. Young Jamie Bell is nothing short of breathtaking in the title role, a riveting performance that should have earned him an Oscar nomination. The casting of Bell is inspired because he is not a dancer, further sustaining the film's underlying theme of someone who is not necessarily supposed to be a dancer, but has a passion for it that forces him to work at it. I love when Billy is walking out of his audition and one of the auditors asks him what it feels like when he's dancing and he replies, It's like...electricity." Julie Walters (EDUCATING RITA) received a Best Supporting Actress nomination for her performance as Billy's teacher, who recognizes the lack of technique in Billy but sees his passion more than makes up for it. Strong support is also provided from Gary Lewis and Jamie Draven as Billy's dad and brother, respectively (though their thick Irish brogues make them hard to understand at times). A warm and energetic film that will make your heart full. Later turned into a stage musical.

There are many things this film is not about...so look to the soul.

Author: threegorges from United States
29 July 2007

Set amid, not so much against, a backdrop of Margaret Thatcher's war with the striking miners of 1984, this film is not about the strike even though it is evident and nearly dominant in much of the movie. Billy's father, his brother, his deceased mother, his friends, his teacher, his town--all play major roles that form the body of this cinematic triumph--and yet the film is not really about any or all of them either. Nor is it really about Billy. Those elements and more make up the story, but even the story is not what this film is about.

It is not about The Dance, but the dance is what lifts Billy to that ethereal place, akin perhaps to an akashic journey, wherein he comes to understand his own soul and enables his hard, basic, mining community to taste and savor the kiss of supreme triumph, the achievement of knowing who you truly are and knowing that you truly are a thing of glory...in those magical moments of flight. And therein resides what Billy Elliot is about.

If you haven't seen it, please do. See it alone. See it with someone you love. See it again.

This movie should have been nominated for and should have won more awards than it did. How could Jamie Bell not have been nominated for an Oscar and a Golden Globe and more? This masterpiece did receive a lot of recognition, I will readily admit, but one suspects that the politics of that generic "Hollywood" drove others to glory instead.

No matter. Billy Elliot will not mind; it will just live on, enriching souls.

What I loved about Billy Elliot

Author: rickyroo1217 from United States
28 May 2007

I totally loved the movie. Jamie Bell can dance better than me and I have been dancing for 8 years. He portrays such a good character and if he kept dancing, I'm sure he could be a success. His best friend in the movie is gay (which you can totally tell from the moment he said that billy would look good in a tutu, plus him in a dress). I think Billy might have been a little upset about having to leave for ballet school, but maybe a little happy. He'd have to leave everything behind him that he ever knew and loved, because, like he said, he's never been to London. I wish he was a real person, Billy Madison. He seems like someone I'd totally love to get to know.

Author: martina-werner from Germany
1 April 2007

Billy Elliot-The movie Review

The movie "Billy Elliot" who takes place in Durham is about a boy Billy, who wants to dance and about Billy's family. Billy's father want that Billy goes to the boxing Training and not to the dance hour and so there is a big argument between father and son. In the End of the story there is a turn in the situation and Billy's father Jackie is a big fan from Billy, who dance in London and get at last an award to London and the father is very proud of Billy.

In my opinion the film Billy Elliot is a very good film for the ensemble family and the film is very interesting to see, because in the film there are many special effects with the camera and the camera movement is much diversified, that makes the film interesting I think. Another important point in the film is the music. In my view the music gives the situations the right expression and so you can film the as a viewer from the film more emotion. The music in the film is at the most time older until classic. In my opinion you can see the message in the film very articulate, because Billy wants to dance but his father think it is a girl sport and so they have a argument.

Billy Elliot - I will dance

Author: Svenja_Jankowski from Germany

Billy Elliot - I will dance Review

The movie "Billy Elliot" is about a boy called Billy, who lives with his brother Tony, his father Jackie and his grandma in Durham in north England. Jackie and Tony take part on a miners' strike. Billy goes punching, but he finds out that dancing will be his life. He starts to take ballet lessons by Mrs Wilkinson.

In my opinion the movie could be realistic, it could based on a real story. But it isn't so I think. The story plays in the 80s and it's very interesting so see, the life in England to this time. There aren't any special effects , but music is a big and important part in this movie. Most it's classic music, there plays for example violins, pianos and an orchestra. The characters in this movie are important, because they are all so different. Billy likes to dance but his father and brother are against this. His grandmother is neutral.

Author: Peter Silie from Bermuda
23 March 2007

Billy Elliot - film review The film is about a boy - Billy - whose greatest dream is to become a famous dancer but his problem is that the male part of his family, his father Jackie and his brother Tony, are against the boy's dream. Both of them want him to become a strong boxer instead of a "girly-like" dancer.

The film shows how important it is to follow your intuition and dreams in life instead of listening to other people's pretensions about you! As well as Billy does, people should pay more attention to what their heart says. To follow the passions and affectations in our lives, because if we don't we'll become that kind of emotional-crippled-being that Billy's father was before he discovered that it's more useful to stand behind Billy instead of blocking his way to success and felicity. We have to see that people who are reaching for their dreams are people which should be admired, not adjudged.

Completing I would recommend the film to people who're interested in some kind of unusual film makings, aside the commercial "Hollywood-film-making. Also you have to be able to look behind the shallow actions of the film to see what the actors try to express with their deeds and words! Maybe it's not just about seeing what the actors try to say but the people surrounding you, sharing some parts of your life.

My opinion to the brilliant film "Billy Elliot"

Author: sebajessica from Germany
23 March 2007

I watched this film during the last week in school. At first I thought that drama film could be very boring, but while I watched it, it became more and more interesting. I like to see Billy Elliot performing; he is very great at acting. He can dance, box and do ballet, he is multi talented in performing other characters I think. He played every scene very self-assured and serious.

I also think that all the other actors gave 100 percent. Their clothes go very well with the time in which the film takes places. Besides I like the setting, it was very good arranged.

In my opinion it is very interesting to watch a film like this. There are a lot of problems in the family, since the mother died. A lot of people want change him to an other person he isn't, but Billy is pursuing all the time his greatness wish, to dance and go to a ballet school. He is a very powerful person. To see how the dad change his opinion to his sons and to ballet was very exiting.

The message of the film is that everyone is legitimate to follow and life their own wishes and dreams and no one have to be against that, because it isn't his or her live. So everybody should accept the opinion of the others.

But I also have to criticize some aspects too. I don't like the background music so much; piano music isn't that what young people want to hear. The second aspect I have to criticize is the title of the film. The name "Billy Elliot" isn't so exiting. The film should have a more interesting title I think.

But all in one I can recommend this film to everybody who hasn't watched Billy Elliot yet and want to do that. It's worth watching.

very good film

Author: irene s from ATHENS, HELLAS
14 March 2007

When "Billy Elliot" was first released in theaters, I consciously chose not to see it - I had a negative bias for no particular reason, really, even thought it was a very big hit. I guess I was tired of "british suburbs" films that make you depressed: I used to find them interesting but, then, after a certain point I felt they started becoming repetitive and "dead ended" like the lives they describe. So, when I practically bumped on the film in the TV, minute by minute I found myself being pleasantly surprised by what I was watching. Now, I believe it is one of my favorite films. What "Billy Elliot" manages to do is give a tender and tough, bitter and sweet, at the same time, taste of reality in the life of the boy. It makes a story with out the American- type "emotionalism", with the correct dosage of laughter, compassion and questioning for the viewer. The thin line between social criticizing is very well kept in the film, since it does not try to take a stand nor in politics (like Ken Loach would) or in other issues presented (such as homosexuality): it rather prefers to show the impact on the boys life, through his own eyes. In general very well directed and very well acted, music bonds very well with the action. Do not miss it.