IMDb > Voyage of the Unicorn (2001) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Voyage of the Unicorn

Voyage of the Unicorn (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Another great Hallmark fantasy adventure.

Author: pleiads from US
4 March 2001

Voyage of the Unicorn is a mini-series which premiered on Odyssey Channel 3/2/01 & 3/3/01. It involved a lot of the same producing staff as another great mini-series 10th Kingdom. The plot development is fast but easy to understand. The scenery is beautiful. The general plot is a mythology professor (Beau Bridges) and his 2 daughters get whisked away into a fantasyland where they discover they must save the fairyland from the dreaded and terribly evil trolls. They have a great adventure and meet loads of interesting characters on the way to saving the fairyland. The film is a great story for all ages. If you liked 10th Kingdom, you'll like this story too

Come join the adventure!!

Author: andromediva19 from San Diego, CA
4 March 2001

I recently saw this when it premiered on Odyssey for two nights, and I have also been anxious to see it when I heard about it back in April of 2000.

Voyage of the Unicorn is originally based on the novel "Voyage of the Basset" by James C. Christensen and tells the story of Professor Alan Aisling (Beau Bridges) and his two daughters Cassie (Chantal Conlin) and Miranda (Heather McEwen), trying to overcome the death of their mother. They soon embark a mystical journey on the majestic ship called the Unicorn, assisted by two dwarfs (pardon me, one is an elf named Sebastian, played by extremely cute Kristian Ayre - I am a huge fan of his!!) with one named Malachi. They encounter different creatures such as the Minotaur and Medusa, and all trying to save the King and Queen of the Faeries from the evil troll Skotos.

This is a delight to watch full of adventure, fantasy, romance, and lots of family enjoyment. I really liked it and it will certainly bring a new meaning out the saying "Seeing is believing." And Sebastian is adorable too... as he always is.

Astounding Fantasy

Author: Lea from Canada
20 July 2001

This is no children's only movie, this is a movie for everyone, action, adventure, even a little light romance. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking, Vancouver, B.C. has everything! Costuming and makeup was superbly done - kudos to that crew for attention to detail!! (They deserve their Emmy nomination and to win).

The story well told, the characters well developed, beautiful scenery, astounding brilliance all around. I've watched it at least 8 times now and never tire of it, in fact I find myself noticing new things each time. Applause to the entire cast and crew!

Very good fantasy family entertainment.

Author: D&L Watterson from Russellville Arkansas
3 March 2001

Although Beau Bridges is getting a little long in the tooth to play the father of teenagers, much less a swashbuckler, he once again provided us with good entertainment. Thank you Beau. The rest of the cast was up to the job as well. Some,(but not all) of the makeup was a little mask-like, but the overall effect was pretty good. The only low point was a sequence involving the older daughter which looked like a music video produced by a seventh grade drama class. Fortunately it didn't last long enough to make me go for the remote. All in all it is a good watch and a lot of good clean family entertainment. A few parts may be a little scary for the younger kids (Tho I've seen seven year olds play video games that scare ME) but if you explain to them ahead of time that its only a fairy tale they should be o.k.. Its well worth watching. I'll give it a score of eight.

Wow. Hard To "Credendo Vides", That This Was Prior To The 'Narnia' Films By Disney

Author: johnstonjames from United States
9 September 2012

not only was this imaginative television movie ahead of Disney's 'Narnia' films by a few years, it's also a lot about how a low budget encourages creativity and can lead to inspired visual solutions. so much of the interesting, 'OZ'/Sid & Marty Kroft retro look was due to obvious budget limitations. good. i thought the visuals were lots of fun. i get a little tired of all the CGI realism in the Disney 'Narnia' films.

this also seemed to have a good underlying, Christian message for Christians, much like the C.S. Lewis stories. especially evident in the quote and musical theme, "Faith Proceeds the Miracle".

this was a good wholesome action fantasy for families. it features some charming and quaint visual effects that should also amuse most cinema fans.

i would also highly recommend this film to Christian audiences because of it's wholesome content and overtly Christian metaphors.

My belief in things concerning the other-worldly: confirmed

Author: chrismulkeyisgod from London, England
3 May 2010

I watched this movie at a pretty difficult point in my life but after the first 15 minutes all of my troubles seemed distant. Most fantasy films on television are far to risqué for my particular tastes and I usually have to send my children out if I am to succumb to my urge to watch them. I invited all but a few of my children into the room to watch this with me. The four of us were whisked away into a land of "what-if" possibilities. This is a child-friendly film--and even has some children in it--with great things to say about our human nature. There is a wide variety of amazing effects which repeatedly surprised me time and time again. There are faeries--and though some might think that I am too old to enjoy the notion of faeries I enjoy them an awful lot nevertheless. The I am glad to see that the schools are finally coming around to teach old-fashioned values of "believing in yourself" and "imagination," and not just relying on the newer-found values of "science" and "budgeting." If we keep this up, then eventually anything will be possible. Even, maybe, the IMpossible.

The Best Film Ever

Author: Arianna Sutherland from London, England
8 November 2006

this is one of my favorite films ever because the story is so amazing. the acting is really good and its just wonderful! i was so blown away by the set and the props. it really was like a whole other world came to life. I was really glad that this film wasn't like the other films where the characters go to another world. It wasn't like narnia at all. i find that lots of films that deal with traveling to another dimension and all fairly similar. this film was very different! it also wasn't like lord of the rings either. lots of fantasy stories follow the same ideas and principals. This one was different and really good. I love the way the actors worked together. They had a lot of chemistry. that is really important to any play, movie, skit, ext. that was really cool to see on screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brilliant show!!

Author: tvroller from United States
24 October 2008

I just saw this again on cable and was blown away by it. Amazing fantasy show - my only question was - where was this show when it was originally broadcast? This was a beautiful movie. The shots and settings looked like another world. I loved the trolls and the dragons and the magic ship. It's hard to find good fantasy shows without someone getting killed all the time. I watched this with my whole family. I loved the two girls and how for once girls were the heroes, of course their dad played by Beau Bridges did a great job too. I just wish I could rent this somewhere instead of taping it or having to buy it on Amazon or wherever.

Not bad for a religious (spiritual) film

Author: tbutterful from TX
18 February 2014

I don't like films that are overly preachy. A lot of religious films tend to preach to the point of being redundant. Thankfully this is not one. Voyage of the Unicorn had me caught up in the adventure, so much, that I did not realize it was trying to convey a message about having faith. It was there from the beginning but not to the point of knocking my head with it.

The Aisling family has to escape trolls by traveling to another universe. The lose of the Aisling matriarch is still very upsetting to them. This adventure serves as an awakening to a new start. The family grows stronger through having faith.

This could be a completely misguided assessment. It just seems like this is what was done. This movie isn't perfect, with several odd moments, but it will suffice for a presumably low budget fantasy film. As a bonus the music score and selections are nice fit for this film.

My favorite movie

Author: babigurrl23 from USA
12 June 2001

The people in this move did a very good job. I especially liked Sebastian and Miranda. Kristian Ayre and Heather McEwen did very good acting jobs. The plot to the story was very good also. I think the only problem with it is if you look carefully at the last part of the battle when the last shot is fired. Either there's a big problem, or there's a sequel planned.